What are your feelings on Roy Keane?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Another fantastic footballer who isn’t really suited to any non-playing role in football. Reminds me of Souness, although he’s not yet at his level of delusion.

Love him to bits for what he had done at United and this part will never change regardless of his current career. Well, unless he wins a league title as a Liverpool manager.
Do you watch them for rte, harms? Think they make a bit more sense when they’re allowed to speak their mind. At least Souness anyway. Forgive me, but I actually find Souness alright when he’s on the Irish tele.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Do you watch them for rte, harms? Think they make a bit more sense when they’re allowed to speak their mind. At least Souness anyway. Forgive me, but I actually find Souness alright when he’s on the Irish tele.
I watch them quite randomly on youtube or when their opinions are quoted by other media/here, so it's possible that I'm not seeing the full picture.

Paxi

I love him and have time for him even when he says things that I completely disagree with. I also feel that he is a world class bullshitter and absolutely not a straight-talker.
How did you come to that conclusion? I think Keane is missing some cards out of his deck but not a straight talker? I can’t see it personally. Think he’s obviously shirking away from some questions, you’d be brain dead not to but I’d say he speaks his mind.

BlueHaze

He can be overly negative some times but I respect him and like him very much. Although I feel he's the type of person whom if I ever met and asked for a picture he'd say yes only to take my phone and ram it down my throat.

Paxi

I watch them quite randomly on youtube or when their opinions are quoted by other media/here, so it's possible that I'm not seeing the full picture.
I think Souness is definitely better on Irish tele. Certainly more relaxed and that’s an ex Rangers man there. It’s paradoxical.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I always fail to remember that Sky encourage their pundits to create sensation - cue their much-tweeted ridiculousness of (shock-horror!) Souness throwing a pencil - so maybe Neville, Keane and co aren't as reactionary as their tv roles suggest.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How did you come to that conclusion? I think Keane is missing some cards out of his deck but not a straight talker? I can’t see it personally. Think he’s obviously shirking away from some questions, you’d be brain dead not to but I’d say he speaks his mind.
It's a feeling, I don't think that he actually speaks his mind but the mind that people imagine he has, in all honesty I think that he likes to wind up the crowd. In this interview Keane is very balanced which I think is closer to what he thinks in general.

Edit: By the way, watching the interview again, he actually says that it's an act.

Last edited:

Paxi

It's a feeling, I don't think that he actually speaks his mind but the mind that people imagine he has, in all honesty I think that he likes to wind up the crowd. In this interview Keane is very balanced which I think is closer to what he thinks in general.

That feeling is something we cannot reason with. I feel like; - of course he’s going to avoid some questions. Generally, thought, I think he actually speaks too much. You’ve got to look at his outburst at Saipan. There is no way that man had ulterior motives. I’m not saying that he never did but I think he doesn’t know how to control himself which makes me think that he’s honest. You can’t fake that.

JPRouve

Scout
That feeling is something we cannot reason with. I feel like; - of course he’s going to avoid some questions. Generally, thought, I think he actually speaks too much. You’ve got to look at his outburst at Saipan. There is no way that man had ulterior motives. I’m not saying that he never did but I think he doesn’t know how to control himself which makes me think that he’s honest. You can’t fake that.
Listen to what he says from the 7th minute, he knows exactly what he is doing.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
He’s full of himself and has inferiority complexes. People like that sometimes make a lot of sense in what they are saying but the drive behind it does not.

Irwin99

My favourite ever player but a really complex guy with a lot of conflicting character traits- fear of failure, fear of losing, anger management issues but also a really funny, charming guy at times who seems intelligent and self-deprecating. If ever there was a football player that embodied the flawed hero from books/films it would be Keano. As a fan when I hear he does say something that's controversial I usually laugh because it's funny or just roll my eyes and think 'well, that's just Keano'.

I read some interesting stories a bit back from the 2001 season about Keane with Ireland and Man United- that Eusebio was so impressed with Keane's performance against Portugal he asked for Keane's shirt after the match and that LVG voted for him for the Balon D'or after his performances with Ireland that year. I also read that he suffered a bout of depression after United's loss to Bayern Munich in the CL that season and his criticism of teammates seems to boil over a lot more. When you see someone who won the league with United in 2001 but then says on the champions league exit that 'the players have given it all but they're just not good enough, maybe it's the end of the road for this team' you see how far expectations have fallen now. I wish we had a player that cared half as much now.

JK-27

Legend then and legend now. Say's what he thinks, doesn't sugar coat it.

thesheriffjw

Born winner, no question about it.

The epitome of a tough tackling, hard working midfielder.

Class as a player. Legend even.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Love him. He did enough for us to earn the right to be a pain in the arse now. Let he who is without sin...

He also talks a lot of sense.

jem

Edit: By the way, watching the interview again, he actually says that it's an act.
I find him utterly compelling - I always laugh at least once during an interview with Keano. And I also fantasize about him getting 10 minutes in the locker room with the likes of Lingard, Rashford, Smalling and Shaw. There's an incredible moment in that interview when he's asked about McCarthy calling him out in front of the Irish squad - his eyes just burn with intensity. Imagine being on the receiving end of that on the pitch?

Edit: it's at 13:26 on the video. The stuff of nightmares!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
One of our all time greats on the pitch, and a complete leader. I used to really get irritated by him as a person, but the older I get the more I can relate!
Exactly the same for me.
He used to go into many matches as if he was going into battle.
Especially against the Goonners.
Who will ever forget that tussle in the tunnel.
Not just that but a true Leader on the pitch.
Apart from Ronaldo and Cantona my favourite even United player.
What I would give to have him playing again.

fergosaurus

He was my favourite player and I also like him as a pundit. I can't think of anyone else with his drive and determination to win at all costs. If we'd a captain now with half of his leadership qualities we'd be in much better shape.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
If anyone who whinges about him says they wouldnt have him back, as he is (not old, obviously) in a heartbeat, I'd say they were deluding themselves. Or lying.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would love him as a mate, I would have a great time setting him off on rants.

JPRouve

Scout
I find him utterly compelling - I always laugh at least once during an interview with Keano. And I also fantasize about him getting 10 minutes in the locker room with the likes of Lingard, Rashford, Smalling and Shaw. There's an incredible moment in that interview when he's asked about McCarthy calling him out in front of the Irish squad - his eyes just burn with intensity. Imagine being on the receiving end of that on the pitch?

Edit: it's at 13:26 on the video. The stuff of nightmares!
I feel the same he is compelling during interviews and the part that you mention is actually interesting when you think about the caf reaction to the unnamed player who allegedly told Mourinho to not have a go at him in front of the team.

Denis79

One of our all time greats on the pitch, and a complete leader. I used to really get irritated by him as a person, but the older I get the more I can relate!
Haha! I feel exactly the same. I grew up with that mentality around me, so I can agree with a lot of what he says. Think some people and players today are too sensitive, it's like walking on eggshells.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
In the top 3 most important players of the Fergie era, with a good claim to being number 1. Always remember the panic when his name wasn't on the team-sheet. Along with Cantona the only player I've hero-worshipped in a way. Apart from that, the best CM I've seen at the club.

He's so bitter about his departure, but in terms of the contribution he could make, Fergie got it right. Keane claims he had a couple of good years left to give United, but on the other hand admits his legs went during his final months with Celtic.

jem

I feel the same he is compelling during interviews and the part that you mention is actually interesting when you think about the caf reaction to the unnamed player who allegedly told Mourinho to not have a go at him in front of the team.
I'm drawing a blank here about the Mourinho situation - did that happen last year?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
True legend, out of control, only Sir Alex could stop him from tearing apart some players on the training ground.

If he really stormed into Cleverley's house in 2014 to confront him, then he's truly special.

Right now, just glad he's not a pundit in a sense and still maintains Keano levels at pleasant rate.

Skills

Snitch
Great player. Massive hypocrite.

He may act a high and mighty, but had he been part of the dressing room under Mourinho he would've been got himself sacked for probably decking Mourinho. He fell out with Ferguson and walked out on Ireland, and people seem to think he would've stood and taken Mourinho's nonsense?

POF

Great player. Massive hypocrite.

He may act a high and mighty, but had he been part of the dressing room under Mourinho he would've been got himself sacked for probably decking Mourinho. He fell out with Ferguson and walked out on Ireland, and people seem to think he would've stood and taken Mourinho's nonsense?
I think the complete opposite. Keane would have thrived under Mourinho and Jose would have been far more successful if he inherited a United squad with Keane as captain.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Very fond. Until he says something I don't like, then I get angry at him for like 5-10 minutes. Then very fond again.

Roller coaster of emotion.

Would love him at United in some capacity.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Exactly the same for me.
He used to go into many matches as if he was going into battle.
Especially against the Goonners.
Who will ever forget that tussle in the tunnel.
Not just that but a true Leader on the pitch.
Apart from Ronaldo and Cantona my favourite even United player.
What I would give to have him playing again.
A warrior with an iron will to win and you were never ever allowed to give up when keano was around, god I miss him!

Haha! I feel exactly the same. I grew up with that mentality around me, so I can agree with a lot of what he says. Think some people and players today are too sensitive, it's like walking on eggshells.
Same here mate, fed up of niceties and lovelyness, we need a nasty spiteful streak again.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would prefer him to do more positive work regarding united,but for such a character it's ridiculous to imagine him being a club patsy like the other ambassadors

UnitedChampionsAgain

Would love him back in the dressing room giving them a right bollocking. Maybe fear is the only thing to get our lot playing again. Damn all else has worked.

Chris Amesbury

As a player and captain? My favourite ever.

Whatever he does and says now I kind of look at as a different person. Some things I agree with (although perhaps they could be said in a more constructive way), other things I don't agree with at all.
Agree with the above. He made it look easy. He always kept possession and was the best midfielder in the world for a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think the complete opposite. Keane would have thrived under Mourinho and Jose would have been far more successful if he inherited a United squad with Keane as captain.
Not a chance that Keane would have accepted the way that Mourinho had us playing. Keane demanded risk-taking attacking football, getting on the front foot and never taking the boot off the oppositions throat. Pretty much the opposite of what Mourinho seemed to want us to do. Mourinho would have loved Keane's drive, winning mentality and demand for perfection, but unless Jose drastically altered his entire style he's had in the second half of his career it would have blown up in his face.

People talk about the club choosing Pogba over Mourinho (which I don't agree with since it he'd obviously lost the entire dressing room), but if Keane was here it would have come to a head much faster and much more definitively.