What can Richard Arnold do to re-assure us?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Antony, FdJ and Jonathan David would do it for me.
Throw in Rabiot for squad depth I guess. Wouldn't mind Tossard too.

Greck

I actually feel bad for Anold because you can tell he wants to be on the fan's good side and now has to see his name dragged for a structure he inherited. If he does nothing to improve us from this point I'll lose all sympathy but he couldn't actually have changed much before the structure had proven its incompetence.

Elcabron

Hire a qualified Director of Football who has actually built a team before
We tried that but we sacked him before he even got started in the role.

The alarm bells rang for me when he did that meet and greet with the fans in the local pub a couple of months back. He was praised for it but to me it suggested weakness, poor judgement and someone who is easily swayed. On top of that he sounded like he knew as much as the average bloke on the street.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Honestly I know its not a great situation but the result on Saturday is what set the panic alarms off, and the players we have now are good enough to beat Brighton at home...and they might have done had Ten Hag not spent all pre season using the same very specific system, only to randomly change on the ppening day to something that bore literally no resemblance and force the team to play with midfielders as strikers. All based on 1 injury.

I don't get what difference signings make if the manager is going to pull crazy shite that makes it impossible for the players he has to function. We saw that with LVG.

I don't want to immediately be criticising Ten Hag either but what the feck was he or anyone expecting with Eriksen up front and Mctominay in advanced midfield and Fred in actual midfield all on his own?

Loon

:lol:
He has to get people in who know what they're doing. Even if he doesn't have a clue, he'll come up smelling of roses stealing all the praise.

Irwin99

Do a good job, which is what he should have been doing since the end of last season.

Someone

Something
He needs to sack Murtough, and get some real football people at the club with a proven track record. But he won't, because we seem unable to learn from our mistakes.

Having someone like Ralf would've been great, then you can bring in ex players who're showing potential to help and learn.

Boehly is already after Michael Edwards because he figured out pretty quickly that it's not just about throwing money around. While a club of our size has nobody of any sort of experience? How?

Andy_Cole

I got a response to my email, not from Arnold himself though:

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and we appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with your comments.

These comments have been noted and formally documented.

Thank you for your continued support.

Kind regards,

Stephanie

Vapor trail

If likes of Arnold and Murtough didn’t know what needed to be done when they took the jobs on after years and years working at the club then when are they ever going to know.
Honestly, looking to have hope in individuals with no relevant experience and credentials to pioneer one of the historically biggest clubs in Europe is laughable. Expecting absolutely nothing from either as they have proven themselves incompetent. Murtough in an ideal world should be sacked on the premise of a poor summer and the club should outsource the position of DOF. United are not in a position to be promoting in house when the club has underperformed over a ten year period. The club can peddle the restructuring narrative but if the same individuals have been in the background all along expect the same results.

ti vu

I got a response to my email, not from Arnold himself though:

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and we appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with your comments.

These comments have been noted and formally documented.

Thank you for your continued support.

Kind regards,

Stephanie
Cheeky. Now you have to explain who is Stephanie to your wife, and he wouldn't need to follow up. :smirk:

Yakuza_devils

Fly to Barcelona again with Murtough. But this time get the fecking FDJ deal sorted.

Then fly to Amsterdam to get Antony deal sorted.

Don't mess around anymore, the season already started. We need serious reinforcement now.

Castia

Didn't he reassure the fans and say this summer the manager will get what he want's? but then added next year could be tough?

I mean imagine next year it could be even worse.

Smores

If we'd have signed Frenkie a month ago the whole mood would be a lot better. We'd still be short of course but it would have shown we can go out and get the type of player everyone could be hopeful about.

As it stands none of our signings do that and those being proposed are all make shift solutions.

I said two months ago we'd spiral if we had a troubled window and poor start and you can see the makings of it already. Everyone is willing to give ETH time but that assumes a reasonable return but if things go tits up it'll be hard for him to recover.

Andy_Cole

If we'd have signed Frenkie a month ago the whole mood would be a lot better. We'd still be short of course but it would have shown we can go out and get the type of player everyone could be hopeful about.

As it stands none of our signings do that and those being proposed are all make shift solutions.

I said two months ago we'd spiral if we had a troubled window and poor start and you can see the makings of it already. Everyone is willing to give ETH time but that assumes a reasonable return but if things go tits up it'll be hard for him to recover.
That’s the thing. The board don’t understand this, they think waiting all window to save pennies is the right way to go. Our rivals sign players early, pay more even, so the season is not disrupted. Arnold has let Hag down massively here.

On top of this, instead of getting the deal done early, we have allowed chelsea enter the race, a race we seem to be losing after chasing for so long.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
He can sign the players that would give us a realistic shot at CL qualification. Players which would give ETH the option to bench dross such as Maguire, tominay, Bissaka, Dalot, rashford etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly I know its not a great situation but the result on Saturday is what set the panic alarms off, and the players we have now are good enough to beat Brighton at home...and they might have done had Ten Hag not spent all pre season using the same very specific system, only to randomly change on the ppening day to something that bore literally no resemblance and force the team to play with midfielders as strikers. All based on 1 injury.

I don't get what difference signings make if the manager is going to pull crazy shite that makes it impossible for the players he has to function. We saw that with LVG.

I don't want to immediately be criticising Ten Hag either but what the feck was he or anyone expecting with Eriksen up front and Mctominay in advanced midfield and Fred in actual midfield all on his own?
TBF to ten Hag, what option did he have? He benched Ronaldo is you can't go and start Ronaldo after this summer on the opening day, regardless of options. Past that, what, you have Elanga? It was understandable to try a false 9.

croadyman

Fly to Barcelona again with Murtough. But this time get the fecking FDJ deal sorted.

Then fly to Amsterdam to get Antony deal sorted.

Don't mess around anymore, the season already started. We need serious reinforcement now.
Utd moved on from both now

marktan

Tuck me into bed at night, lie next to me and whisper into my ear softly "Frenkie, Frenkie, Frenkie.. De Jong"

Lentwood

At least 50% of the posts seem to say 'signings' but do we not need to think a little further than that?

Sure, our recruitment is perhaps the biggest issue we need to fix but surely the issues are structural. Even if we had signed FDJ and Sesko, for example, does that mean all our problems go away?

The White Pele

If we fail to sign De Jong and end the window without upgrading our options for midfield, right back, right wing or forward then the only thing he can do to reassure me would be to sack Murtough.

Somebody has to take accountability for recruitment. It’s the only way to drive excellence. You can’t have years of bad recruitment and nobody carrying the can for it like we did under Woodward.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Punch Joel Glazer right between the eyes and knock him on his backside.

Infra-red

He can do the thing he should have done months ago - sign two midfielders, a forward and a right back.

Oh, and sack Murtough unless he shows dramatic signs of improvement in the next six months.

lex talionis

The structural issues cannot be fixed right now, and probably can’t be fixed while the Glazers still control United.

I’m concerned with what we can do right now.

What we can do right now is stump the cash required to bring in de Jong. Frenkie won’t solve all our problems but he resolves the most glaring hole in the squad and will lift everyone around him in the short run and help us compete for a top four finish. We’ll use this season to evaluate who can stay and who can go next season.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
He can do the thing he should have done months ago - sign two midfielders, a forward and a right back.

Oh, and sack Murtough unless he shows dramatic signs of improvement in the next six months.
And eventually when we can't get any semi-decent target, fire Murtough and resign himself.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Do the logical thing during a rebuild phase - buy promising up-and-coming prospects that fit the style of the manager. Make the project attractive and the stars will come.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The structural issues cannot be fixed right now, and probably can’t be fixed while the Glazers still control United.

What we can do right now is stump the cash required to bring in de Jong. Frenkie won’t solve all our problems but he resolves the most glaring hole in the squad and will lift everyone around him in the short run and help us compete for a top four finish. We’ll use this season to evaluate who can stay and who can go next season.
The Glazers are one thing but they do not do the day to day management of the club.

Our problem is having incompetent people running the show. Arnold really needs to sack Murtough and get someone in who is proven as a DOF. What is so hard about doing something so obvious is just beyond my comprehension.

Kag

You (and many others) got it wrong when you thought that Woodward was the be all and end all.

The reality is that we’d have followed the same descent under David Gill. The football structure in place at the club in 2013 was about ten years behind. Even Moyes was bemused. I mean, our entire scouting structure more or less amounted to Alex Ferguson’s little brother.

Ed Woodward was an easy target. Culpable, absolutely, but not even close to being the root cause of the issue. As we see now, we’re in the same state of disarray, in spite of well-intentioned changes to improve. In spite of the much-vaunted magical DOF we now have in place. We even have a Deputy DOF. I almost can’t believe we’re still shite…

croadyman

He will rightly run a mile after watching how utterly diabolical we handle transfers