What can we expect this year? (Your expectations for 2016/2017)

Von Mistelroum

Our spending has actually been very reserved. Our biggest signing was free! Not complaining of course, just mentioning.

I think our team are still recovering from Van Gaal and the mindset and low confidence that came with it. Even Martial looks low on confidence, so we'll have this to deal with during the start of the season. A couple of wins and things could turn around, but a couple of defeats could really slow us down.

I like our new signings, but have reservations about all of them too. Bailly is not the finished article, Mkhitarayan needs time to settle and could easily slide into the low confidence trap with the rest of he's not careful, and Zlatan will need energetic players around him to thrive.

As it stands, I think we'll make top four, but it won't be easy. There are a lot of good teams in the PL now, and many will be inspired by last season too.

If we were to sign Pogba then I'd say we could finish anywhere from 3rd to 1st. Not because I think he's so good that he'll pull us up single handed, but because I think that bringing in another world class, huge name, along with the seemingly unflinching confidence that he and Zlatan (not to mention Mourinho) exude, will inspire the team and raise spirits.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'd agree with the post above. I still think we could finish as low as 4th or 5th though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd like to hope for a title challenge but I'm of the opinion that our team just isn't good enough for it. I think more often than not our midfield or defence will let us down. Although if Ibra/Rashford/Martial and DDG have the seasons we know they're capable of then Mourinho might be able to get the best out of our dross players and carry us to the league title.
So I'd predict third behind Arsenal and maybe City? They seem to have bought a feck ton of players but I think Pep will do well in the premier league.
I'd like us to win a cup though, preferably the FA cup. Not really arsed about the Europa, I just hope we get some good away games in decent places to go.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Our pre season hasn't been great in terms of building up the required sharpness.

I'm expecting a moderate start and us to improve as the season goes on. This won't be enough for the anti Mourinho brigade though who will be making day comments about how we were better off under LVG after four games.

wr8_utd

:'(
Don't expect too much if we don't make some defensive signing. In the midst of this chase for attackers, I find it bizarre a coach as focused on a solid defense as Jose, has not bothered bringing in even one world class centre back.

kundalini

Assuming Mourinho continues with Rooney + Zlatan as his first choice partnership then I expect us to finish 5th.

If he somehow finds the courage to replace Rooney with Rashford within the first month or so of the season then we might get 2nd.

Midfield is another area that could be problematic, trying to figure out who to partner Pogba, or whether to use 3 in central midfield.

Minimalist

1) Top priority is a top three finish + challenge for the title until near the end at least.

2) FA Cup + EL decent showing.

3) Play the kids in the Carling Cup - couldn't care less.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Title challenge, a good run in at least one of those cups. Don't care much about Mickey Mouse cup or Europa and it will be difficult to win the second, but would be nice if we give it a go.

WyoManU

I still have the hangover from our past three seasons. For me, I just want top 4 and for us to get back into the CL. I am sure Jose is learning that some of our players are simply not good enough and it will take another year or two of rebuilding.

Perrick Dubois

Top four I think we should expect. Goals as well, I think by the end of the season it will be apparent how poorly we've been coached for the last two years.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Realistically, 2nd or 3rd in the league and a good run at the FA cup and Europa. If things go well in the League cup, we might have a go there as well.

If Jose gets the team to click early, we might win the league.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Be in the run for the title I hope. FA Cup would be sweet, Europa League I don't care too much (it might hinders us in the League really)