What did Hillary do wrong and what's next for her?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In my opinion, Hilary constantly answered the wrong question.

- Very soon into her campaign she was preaching to her already converted
- GOP voters did not care enough for her allegations that Trump was 'not fit for the office'
- Older white men did not feel like she knew what they wanted

I find it galling that I can quickly recall many Trump policies and claims but dont really know what Hilary was going to do if she won office.

She was supposedly the most qualified ever politician to run for office, had personal experience of 3 previous presidential campaigns and was up against the most unpopular GOP candidate in living memory. She had the vast majority of US and international media tactcily or openly supporting her and a vast advertising budget far superior to Trump's.

And she blew it.

Im furious at her. Absolutely furious. She is as much to blame for what we get in the next 4 years as Trump is.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
In 2 years or so she'll have something of a resurgence as a democratic icon, much in the same way Gordon Brown did.

But she's done.

Neutral

BTV
- Very soon into her campaign she was preaching to the already converted
No - that was her problem. She didn't preach enough to her flock and some of them ended up going astray :lol:

She took for granted the already converted. She didn't visit Wisconsin once during the presidential run (she did during the primaries).

NM

She's done. Her political career is over. The democratic party has to look to the future. The Clintons are done and Obama's role will be similar to Bill - he will preach to the choir but not convert more new voters.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
She's done. Her political career is over. The democratic party has to look to the future. The Clintons are done and Obama's role will be similar to Bill - he will preach to the choir but not convert more new voters.
Aye, she may become an elder statesmen future Democrats look to for endorsements, but that's about it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
FFS Trump can't actually jail her. If the FBI didn't think she was worth investigating she is fine.
He may not be successful in jailing her, but he can humiliate her by making her arse around the country in courts defending her actions. It would be a spectacle that will play well with GOP hardline voters.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How the hell do people actually think Trump is going to jail her? She needs to be found guilty of something first ffs. :lol:

ghagua

- GOP voters did not care enough for her allegations that Trump was 'not fit for the office'

I find it galling that I can quickly recall many Trump policies and claims but dont really know what Hilary was going to do if she won office.

Im furious at her. Absolutely furious. She was supposedly the most experienced ever politician to run for office, had personal experience of 3 previous presidential campaigns and was up against the most unpopular ever GOP candidate in living memory. She had the vast majority of US and international media tactcily or openly supporting her and a vast adverting budget far superior to Trump.

And she blew it. She is as much to blame for what we get in the next 4 years as Trump is.
Ban Muslims, build a wall along the Mexican border and send back the illegal immigrants. That's all you need to know why Trump is in the White House now. There's really not much else Hilary could have done. Trump did not have any plans either, he just repeated that he would make "America great again"

stubie

She represents war. I think most Americans are fed up of war now.

NM

He may not be successful in jailing her, but he can humiliate her by making her arse around the country in courts defending her actions. It would be a spectacle that will play well with GOP hardline voters.
:lol:
If that's the case he will be hauled up by democrats on Trump U etc. It will be tit for tat and they won't go after each other.

They were friends before the white house. I'll be VERY surprised if he goes after her.

adexkola

Supports
from jail?
She's not going to jail. Petraeus didn't go to jail, did he?

She's a titan in the party regardless of this result, and her endorsement in future years will mean a lot. But I believe the Democratic party will start to pivot away from the Clinton machine. They need to.

Fergies Gum

FFS Trump can't actually jail her. If the FBI didn't think she was worth investigating she is fine.
Wonder whether they will come to that same conclusion now that they know Lynch cant obstruct the investigation.

Rudy will go digging.

The Firestarter

People claiming Hillary is a war criminal without her being in a command authority position. What's wrong with people?

Bwuk

He's going to jail her and make America great again.

Hope she doesn't drop the soap.

Sylar

Insulting potential voters or followers of Trump was a mistake. I dont see what she thought she would gain by doing that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
She pretty much embodies everything people dislike about the political establishment. In an election where people were reacting against the political establishment, that made her a pretty awful candidate.

She didn't perform particularly well during the campaign either.

Kaos

I knew from the beginning her nomination would be a disastrous one.

Her family and their ilk are damaged goods now, they're better fecking off from politics and continuing to collect millions from despotic regimes and dictatorships all over the world for their charity. Though I'm not sure they'd bother with their donations now that she can't be president.

adexkola

Supports

Im furious at her. Absolutely furious. She was supposedly the most experienced ever politician to run for office, had personal experience of 3 previous presidential campaigns and was up against the most unpopular ever GOP candidate in living memory. She had the vast majority of US and international media tactcily or openly supporting her and a vast adverting budget far superior to Trump.

And she blew it. She is as much to blame for what we get in the next 4 years as Trump is.
Obviously she had a website where she outlined all her policy stances, and she wasn't awarded victory in the presidential debates for naught.

However I agree that there is no single issue I can point to as distinctively Clinton's. Trump had the blasted wall (and Mexico is gonna pay for it). Bernie had universal healthcare and free college. It's a failure of Hillary's that she couldn't identify a few strong issues that could rally the base up. All she kept going for hard was, "well, you don't wanna vote for him".

We're complaining that minorities didn't show up to vote. Why didn't Hillary go all out to recruit them? Imagine if she outlined specific policies she would enact upon their behalf instead of the bland "criminal justice reform" nonsense? What if she pledged to end the war on drugs, completely? Or restore the Voting Rights Act to it's full strength pre-SCOTUS gutting? Or demand, not suggest, that all police forces nationwide comply by strict standards or lose federal funding and support?

Her dilly-dalling on TPP fecked her over as well, as she tried to be too diplomatic, towing the line between Obama's agenda and angry voters in the rust belt. She avoided facing the issue head on. And end of the day, she lost the entire belt, barring Illinois.

For some reason the last few weeks of the campaign seemed like they were throwing all the politicians and celebrities in their quiver at the wall, hoping that something stuck. And all I was hearing from them again and again was, "you don't wanna vote for that guy".

It's hard to blame her measured pragmatism, which fecked her over in the general election, but carried her this far in her career. She just faced the perfect storm in a man who gave no feck about nuance or playing to the wall, and voters lapped it up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He won't have any inclination to do that. They're old friends that go back a long time, he's a prick but I don't believe he will look to make her life any more miserable than it already is.

An old lady will be sitting somewhere today with her dream taken away from her, realising that her career has come to an end and psychologically it will be a very big challenge to find any motivation to move forward from here.

Kaos

He's not going to jail her, or do half the absurd things he's promised this election.

He played the hillbillies, white supremacists and inbreds like a flute.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We can't underestimate this factor. She made it about personalities, failing to realize that many people don't like her.
Very astute.

Majority voted for somebody who said some bad things vs somebody who had done some bad things.

Kaos

Very astute.

Majority voters for somebody who said some bad things vs somebody who had done some bad things.
To be fair, if strong allegations are to believed, he's also done some pretty bad things. But sexually assaulting women seems to be less of a deal than crookedness, even to American women it seems.

hobbers

Like I said in the election thread, she let Trump dictate every aspect of this election. Even when some of it reflected badly on his character, he was still the one dictating all of the topics and the tone.

Another case of the left's mantra that moral superiority can insulate you from having to actually debate policies or engage with large swathes of your base voters.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
To be fair, if strong allegations are to believed, he's also done some pretty bad things. But sexually assaulting women seems to be less of a deal than crookedness, even to American women it seems.
In an election campaign voters can be quite skeptical of allegations. The dirt on Hillary was acknowledged as fact, even by Hillary herself!