What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Andrew7582

With Pogba talking highly of Tchouameni and Romano saying we are interested in Tielemans I'd be happy to see us start the 22/23 season with this line up.
I think whichever midfielder we sign will be playing next to McTominay, he'll be given a more attacking box to box role when we get the right partner for him. I am pretty sure that McTominay will be a mainstay in the team for as long as Ole is here.

Devil may care

I think whichever midfielder we sign will be playing next to McTominay, he'll be given a more attacking box to box role when we get the right partner for him. I am pretty sure that McTominay will be a mainstay in the team for as long as Ole is here.
I really hope that's not the case, he's not good enough either side of the ball to be anything more than a squad player.

Andrew7582

I really hope that's not the case, he's not good enough either side of the ball to be anything more than a squad player.
I think McTominay can still go to another level with more freedom to get forward in a less restriced role. I recall Ole talking about McTominays goalscoring potential in the past https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ter-united-solskjaer-scott-mctominay-19806115 I think this is what the plan is, to find the right partner that can give McTominay more freedom to get forward.

Devil may care

I think McTominay can still go to another level with more freedom to get forward in a less restriced role. I recall Ole talking about McTominays goalscoring potential in the past https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ter-united-solskjaer-scott-mctominay-19806115 I think this is what the plan is, to find the right partner that can give McTominay more freedom to get forward.
Ole says a lot of stuff that shines players in a positive light, if we are to be a top side we can't have a limited player like McTominay as our #8, we need creative quality there, we don't lack goals in our front 4. McTominay is a fine squad player in the mold of O'Shea and Phil Neville.

jesperjaap

Obviously this season could change what we need by next summer, but there are two things it appears we still need to me:

1) To seriously trim the squad and get rid of players, huge list:

Grant, Jones, Mata, Pereira, Matic simply have to go

I would also expect Bailly, Dalot, Telles, Lingard, Martial and Cavani to leave and quite possibly Pogba and even Henderson or maybe DeGea

That is a lot of players we have accumalated and personally I feel...Williams, Tuanzabe, Fred, VDB and CHong could all be added...thats nearly a full squad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still leaves:

GK: DeGea - Heaton
RB: Bissaka
LB: Shaw
CB Varane - Lindelof
CB Maguire
CM McTominay
CM Hannibal
AM Fernandes
LW Rashford
RW SAncho - AMad
CF Ronaldo - Greenwood

That leaves ten spots in a squad of 25 - Obviously we are not making 10 signings next summer even if we sell all those players. I think next summer is the time to decide on a few of our youngsters....which could be even more outs:

Mengi, Laird, Fernandez, Pellestri, Shoetire, Elanga, Garner

These all look like good players. I feel if Bissaka kicks on this season with his progression and Shaw continues his excellent from then Laird and Fernandez could well take squad spots as back ups if they do well this season. Equally I feel with the great options we have attackign wise that the likes of SHoetire, Pellestri and Elanga could be good options for the attacking spots as back ups....that for me leaves three possible signings next summer:

1) A young centre back - Not sure Tuanzabe or Mengi will step up. If Bailly doesnt stay and I dont think he will, a new young centre back would be a very good squad signing

2 and 3) The most vital signings that I think we will pay for not makign this window are two new central midfielders. Forget Haaland, we already have the best striker in the world despite his age and one of hte best young ones in the world. We should be spending on central midfielders of which there are a plethora. With so many sales or released players we should be able to spend big just on saved wages.....Bellingham is the obvious candidate at the top of the list but there are too many to name

Clear out the deadwood and sort that central midfield, we woul dhave a nucelus of 15/16 quality players I feel would challenge. I still think this season we come up short in central midfield, quite a long way short tbh which is a huge shame considering the three excelletnt signings we have made this window

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Probably because the attack is already good enough and a proper midfielder like Bellingham will make the team much stronger. Plus, Haaland will hardly stay 3-4 years before leaving for another club.
Good enough to win CL/PL? No. We need that elite goalscorer, which neither Rashford nor Martial are. Greenwood could be, but that's one for the future.

Completely agree with your last point though. But before leaving he would have won us the lot. What do you say?

AussieDevil

Bellingham and Caqueret would be my dream signings if we lost Pogba.

I think Fabian Ruiz could also be an interesting option. Same with Bissouma.

Rojofiam

If neither DDG nor Henderson put the question of the number 1 GK beyond doubt this season, I expect us to go after Oblak next summer.

He's the best keeper in the world, will be 29 next summer so should just be entering his prime now, and his contract expires in 2023. Could give us a good ~8 years as our no. 1 keeper. He won everything he realistically can at Atleico (occasional league title), been there for 7 years now, pretty sure he would fancy us and the PL at this stage of his career.

If he doesn't renew until next summer, there's just so much logic behind this move that I'll be disappointed if he's not a target.

kirk buttercup

If neither DDG nor Henderson put the question of the number 1 GK beyond doubt this season, I expect us to go after Oblak next summer.

He's the best keeper in the world, will be 29 next summer so should just be entering his prime now, and his contract expires in 2023. Could give us a good ~8 years as our no. 1 keeper. He won everything he realistically can at Atleico (occasional league title), been there for 7 years now, pretty sure he would fancy us and the PL at this stage of his career.

If he doesn't renew until next summer, there's just so much logic behind this move that I'll be disappointed if he's not a target.
De Gea going the other way ?

Rojofiam

Good if you think so although you are in LaLa Land. We will compare notes at the end of the season.
Ronaldo, Cavani, Fernandes, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Lingard, Martial, Pogba

How is this attack not good enough to win major titles?

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Ronaldo, Cavani, Fernandes, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Lingard, Martial, Pogba

How is this attack not good enough to win major titles?
Don't forget Mata too! Or has he started his ambassadorial role already

lex talionis

What we really need is our existing players to consistently play at proven peak form. Imagine in your mind's eye what each of our top 13/14 players have proven in the past. In particular players like De Gea, Pogba, Sancho, Rashford...in addition to Bruno, Ronaldo and Varane, who can relied on when it really matters, if those four players can put in a proper shift for most of the season we're as tough to beat as City.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Our team isn't perfect and to be honest hardly any team in history can claim to the contrary out midfield is still a relatively weak link our gk might be past it and our ranks might not be the best going forward

While all of the above is true should be improved upon it still doesn't excuse not challenging for the title the team is more than good enough to do it and has been heavily invested on and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves

Going in to the 2006/7 season our team seemed far from a challenge to the mighty Chelsea with our best striker leaving and no replacement being found and our defense looking dubious to say the least yet our fans didn't care and more importantly neither did Fergie expectations were high and they were met in style because we had the mentality to do so

Our fan's mentality worries me a defeatist outlook trying excuse any shortcomings and blame it on other factors which frankly is midtable mentality to have and horrible reminds me of the vapid Liverpool whining during their dark times

Today its the dm and rb next year pogba leaves and now we need an extra cm oh no a gk is needed now we need a striker wow or defense has Gotten old let's replace them etcetera etcetera...

It will never end and nothing is ever enough

Before I'm besieged by ole in brigade I have to clarify I have been firmly on oles side from the start being pleased with the way he has shaped up the squad but I think he more than anyone is aware that anything short of a title challenge and a deep cl run is a failure

Mr Smith

Obviously this season could change what we need by next summer, but there are two things it appears we still need to me:

1) To seriously trim the squad and get rid of players, huge list:

Grant, Jones, Mata, Pereira, Matic simply have to go

I would also expect Bailly, Dalot, Telles, Lingard, Martial and Cavani to leave and quite possibly Pogba and even Henderson or maybe DeGea

That is a lot of players we have accumalated and personally I feel...Williams, Tuanzabe, Fred, VDB and CHong could all be added...thats nearly a full squad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still leaves:

GK: DeGea - Heaton
RB: Bissaka
LB: Shaw
CB Varane - Lindelof
CB Maguire
CM McTominay
CM Hannibal
AM Fernandes
LW Rashford
RW SAncho - AMad
CF Ronaldo - Greenwood

That leaves ten spots in a squad of 25 - Obviously we are not making 10 signings next summer even if we sell all those players. I think next summer is the time to decide on a few of our youngsters....which could be even more outs:

Mengi, Laird, Fernandez, Pellestri, Shoetire, Elanga, Garner

These all look like good players. I feel if Bissaka kicks on this season with his progression and Shaw continues his excellent from then Laird and Fernandez could well take squad spots as back ups if they do well this season. Equally I feel with the great options we have attackign wise that the likes of SHoetire, Pellestri and Elanga could be good options for the attacking spots as back ups....that for me leaves three possible signings next summer:

1) A young centre back - Not sure Tuanzabe or Mengi will step up. If Bailly doesnt stay and I dont think he will, a new young centre back would be a very good squad signing

2 and 3) The most vital signings that I think we will pay for not makign this window are two new central midfielders. Forget Haaland, we already have the best striker in the world despite his age and one of hte best young ones in the world. We should be spending on central midfielders of which there are a plethora. With so many sales or released players we should be able to spend big just on saved wages.....Bellingham is the obvious candidate at the top of the list but there are too many to name

Clear out the deadwood and sort that central midfield, we woul dhave a nucelus of 15/16 quality players I feel would challenge. I still think this season we come up short in central midfield, quite a long way short tbh which is a huge shame considering the three excelletnt signings we have made this window
So you basically want to sell all but the first XI and half a bench :rolleyes:

Walters_19_MuFc

Good enough to win CL/PL? No. We need that elite goalscorer, which neither Rashford nor Martial are. Greenwood could be, but that's one for the future.

Completely agree with your last point though. But before leaving he would have won us the lot. What do you say?
Did Chelsea and City have an 'elite goalscorer' when they won the CL and PL, respectively?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Did Chelsea and City have an 'elite goalscorer' when they won the CL and PL, respectively?
No but they are properly coached teams Jokes apart we have lacked goals when needed most. In crunch games where we have lost out. Yes we have a great attack and on paper should win it all this season. Fingers crossed, Ronaldo should be the X factor which makes us win something. As I said, let's check back at the end of the season.

croadyman

How about we get a fecking manager that knows a thing or two about tactics, structure and pattern of play?
Oh yeah always said he shouldn't have been appointed on a permanent basis but we both know how our board operates

MadMike

Can’t argue that Ole doesn’t tactically look out of depth in Europe. His record in the CL is atrocious. 7 defeats in 11 is it?

From a player perspective we need a CDM that is good on the ball and a RB that isn’t a one-trick pony. But I still have my doubts that Ole would built a team with the right tactics and winning mentality even then. He’s already underperforming in Europe due to his own limitations, there’s no indication better players would improve him.

Hammondo

Tactics are not the major problem, our midfield is. There is no tactical direction you can play with this midfield. We need someone to dictate play, to run things. We have no one who can at all.

Unless you wanna park the bus and counter attack, we need this player.

Hammondo

After spending close half a billion pounds, that's just another excuse.
Teams with lesser midfielders play better football than we don.
Yes but they have midfielders who do the core roles better, we have flashy extras. All cream and no sponge.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tactics are not the major problem, our midfield is. There is no tactical direction you can play with this midfield. We need someone to dictate play, to run things. We have no one who can at all.

Unless you wanna park the bus and counter attack, we need this player.
I mean.. tactics very clearly are a big problem. We are entirely reliant on individual moments and we don't have any cohesive team play. And we just look more unbalanced then before, with a hope our attackers score enough goals tactic.

Hammondo

I mean.. tactics very clearly are a big problem. We are entirely reliant on individual moments and we don't have any cohesive team play. And we just look more unbalanced then before, with a hope our attackers score enough goals tactic.
Yes all coming from midfield because no one is running things. Midfield is the most important area, I feel we are the only team not to get that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes all coming from midfield because no one is running things. Midfield is the most important area, I feel we are the only team not to get that.
I agree midfield personnel is a big issue. But it's not the only issue. We have personnel to be balanced, but Ole seemingly tries to force players in a bit too often. I also feel like he doesn't have a good understanding of what he needs there like he has elsewhere.

But tactically, we still tend to attack as some sort of 3-1-6 formation. We don't look balanced tactically on the pitch at all. Yes we might not have world class midfielders, but the instructions to those we have are also just wrong (and with our attackers). You look at (most) other big clubs and they look much better as a unit. They're coached better even if they don't have better squads. It's very obvious with City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern. PSG probably have a better squad though I'm whatever with Pochettino as a coach anyway.

United with Ole is like PSG, like Barcelona. You have great players that tend to get good results, but occasionally will look like they get played off the park because they aren't coached that well.

Devil may care

There are growing question marks over Ole tactically after the hunker and hide bullshit against YB, and the coaching of Carrick and McKenna is really lacking as well, I mean the obsession over Haaland is clear but look at the wealth of options we have in attack, yet we continue to look like a like a group of individuals rather than a cohesive attacking unit. I don't expect Ole to win the league with the midfield we have but by Christmas him and the coaches need to have that attack firing on all cylinders.

Next summer needs to be all about midfield, Matic is done, Pogba will likely to be off on a free and I don't see Van de Beek being here either. That means the full midfield refresh of the double pivot should be on the cards.

Tchouameni
Kamara
Rice
Bissouma

Tielemans
Barella
Caqueret
De Jong (A man can dream! :p)

jesperjaap

What we need ptentially:

1) New Manager
2) New backroom staff that are tacticall aware
3) Clear out Jones, Bailly, Williams, Dalot, Tuanzabe, Telles, Matic, Fred, VDB, Lingard, Mata, Martial....so many names could/should possibly go and thats not even adding the potential Pogba departure, very likely Cavani departure too
4) Sell or promote some of our loaness. I feel its time to decide this summer on the likes of Garner, Laird, Williams, Chong. A season of loans fo rthem....they dont need more, promote them or sell them
5) TWO new central midfielders (potentially more even if we get certain departures)

What annoys me, is half of these things should have been done in the window last gone. We should have gone big on a number two with experience and tactical knowledge to help Ole. Somebody liek Quiroz would be invaluable to him. We should have sold 2/3 of the clear out players I mentioned and we should have used that money to buy two central midfielders, we would be challenging then in my opinion, as it is the FA Cup for me is our onl yhope of silverware this season