What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Fosu-Mens

I think Sancho and Rice would be a fantastic start.

Try for Hudson-Odoi.

I think we need to build for the future.l by buying younger players with genuine top quality potential as we are miles-off the top teams and unlikely to catch up in the next year or two.

We simply will not be able to bring in the quantity of top quality established players that we need to close the gap that quick.
You would also want to have a team that can "safely" get into the top 4. If we miss top 4 for a season and CL we might not be able to attract the players we want.

Devil may care

This thread has turned into 'what I want for Christmas FM edition" wishlist imo. £100 million for 27 y old last year of his contract Eriksen so that we can play him in the MF, get Toby so that we can pair him up with Lindelof and have turtle brother's for our CB's, somehow sell Sanchez for £20 million but in the same breath sell Tuanzebe for £1 million...and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Turtle brothres? :lol: I think £100M for Eriksen would be a bargain in today's market even if he's in the last year of his contract, he's that good.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I’m going to join in...

Sancho - £140m
CHO - £60m
Rice - £60-70m
Alderweild - £25m

Of course, if Eriksen was somehow available, you go all out for him.

I also wonder if Kroos would be interested in a new challenge.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’m going to join in...

Sancho - £140m
CHO - £60m
Rice - £60-70m
Alderweild - £25m

Of course, if Eriksen was somehow available, you go all out for him.

I also wonder if Kroos would be interested in a new challenge.
Why would you pay 60m for someone who has a year left on their contract, but expect to pay 60m for Rice who has 5 years left on his?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we buy a RB, how is Dalot supposed to develop? No I don't think that will form a title winning team, but I'm not hoping to solve all of United's problems in one transfer window. I don't expect Young to be here past next season, and if Dalot fails to impress next season, then RB becomes a priority and we make Dalot the bench option that Young should be next season. To me, buying a RB just means giving up on Dalot because I see no point in buying a RB who will only be here for 1-2 seasons. The next RB buy should be a long term solution.

I think there's a difference between acknowledging that RB is a problem and labeling it as a priority. We can get by, having the RB position unsolved for 0.5-1 season. It's better use of our money to just be patient for just a tiny bit, that's all.
There are two things.

1) buying a right back at the age of 29 or above.

Or

2) buying a right winger with right foot who offers creativity on the width like Sancho means we can stick with Young, Dalot & Darmian.

Patrick08

Turtle brothres? :lol: I think £100M for Eriksen would be a bargain in today's market even if he's in the last year of his contract, he's that good.
80-90 m, we should do it, Sancho needs another year to develop I feel. He will take a year or so to get to grips with this league and its physical football, that's my feeling. Also because Dortmund players rarely fit anywhere else almost instantly specially those lacking engine .

Fracture90

Not the quickest of CB partnerships :D

Amazing player for sure, but he's entering the last year of his contract though.

Sanche7

We really do need another creative player and IMO Eriksen is the best we can get. Turned 27 seven days ago, knows the league, last year of his contract. I don't think Levy would turn down 80 mill for him as no other club would pay that much for him.
Pogba - Eriksen with Herrera as DM against weaker teams and Eriksen in the RW against stronger teams,playing the Lingard role.
Creativity, crossing and corner kicks which go beyond the first man.
Lets get this done

Robbo*

Seems it may now be difficult to take players from Chelsea during their ban, absent other overriding factors like transfer requests etc. Share the view that one or more of CHO, RLC and/or Kante would otherwise have been interesting.

OleGunnar20

What I'd like to see in a (I hope at least relatively!) realistic couple of transfer windows:

RB: Promotion of promising youth to cover Young / Dalot. Darmian moved on.

CB: Someone able to make an immediate impact needed, departures to make room for Tuanzebe's return as backup - De-Ligt / Koulibaly / Milenkovic / Skriniar

LB: Top young talent brought in to push Shaw for first team spot - Tierney / Telles / Mendy?

CM: Two top young talents brought in to provide competition & smooth transition. Pereira moved on - Dembele / Pellegrini / Neves / Barella / Tonali

RW: Promotion of Greenwood & Chong alongside, you guessed it, a top class talent to push Lingard for his place. Sanchez & Lukaku sold - Sancho / Pepe / Suso

Easy peasy. Love that game.

MetoTTT

Seems it may now be difficult to take players from Chelsea during their ban, absent other overriding factors like transfer requests etc. Share the view that one or more of CHO, RLC and/or Kante would otherwise have been interesting.
It's a shame besause Willian for 60mil could be perfect for the RW.
Just kiddin'...calm down!

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
A proper right back and right winger. Get those and we will be a completely different team next season. We also need to start looking at bringing in someone who can eventually take over from Matic.

Luke1989

Part of the problem is that we have not seen enough of some players. Andreas Pereira, Scott McTominay and Fed. Are they good enough? We don't know because we've not seen enough of them. Without a doubt we need a center half. Koulibaly would be the dream. Skriniar would probably be best for business. He's experienced whilst still being young. De Ligt would be one for the future. Harry Maguire would be a good signing. Manolas isn't good enough. Alderweireld would also be good business. 25 million in the summer. I think we may need to sign a full back. Aaron Wan-Bissaka is the stand out candidate. Dalot would still get plenty of game time as he can also play left back. We don't need a young attacker in my opinion. We have Chong, Greenwood and Gomes.

GeorgieBoy

What I'd like to see in a (I hope at least relatively!) realistic couple of transfer windows:

RB: Promotion of promising youth to cover Young / Dalot. Darmian moved on.

CB: Someone able to make an immediate impact needed, departures to make room for Tuanzebe's return as backup - De-Ligt / Koulibaly / Milenkovic / Skriniar

LB: Top young talent brought in to push Shaw for first team spot - Tierney / Telles / Mendy?

CM: Two top young talents brought in to provide competition & smooth transition. Pereira moved on - Dembele / Pellegrini / Neves / Barella / Tonali

RW: Promotion of Greenwood & Chong alongside, you guessed it, a top class talent to push Lingard for his place. Sanchez & Lukaku sold - Sancho / Pepe / Suso

Easy peasy. Love that game.
The above is essentially my FM19 save for transfers. :lol:
I think that's very realistic and covers the positions we need to strengthen. I think just one other CM rather than two would suffice for the next window though.

Jericholyte2

Having seen the improvements made by the back four, I feel that the RW should be priority one as we don’t have one, followed closely by CM as we have no depth.

Having thought about it I would look for Sancho and then both Ndombele and Aouar.

Manowar

Sancho - Ndombele/Aouar (depends on how we want to build the midfield). Promote youth to replace deadwoods.

Roux

Fairly certain not many people would agree with me - but i'd love Deulofeu at United. He would be perfect on our RW, maybe as a backup to someone like Sancho.

Patrick08

I still think they will get De Ligt to. They are one of the elite teams that needs to freshen their squad with younger players. Similar to Real Madrid and Bayern.
Psg may be in for him as well. Silva ain't getting any younger.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It's encouraging how well we are playing considering there are still obvious improvements to be made. Quite exciting actually.

RB CB CM and RW are the positions to strengthen in no particular order.

I wouldn't go for a young RB simply because of Dalot and possibly Laird. Someone like Meunier would be ideal if possible.

Koulibaly would be my choice at CB.

2 completely contrasting styles so depends what Ole is looking for but Ndombele or Neves in at CM

Sancho if possible at RW. I could really see him staying for another year at Dortmund and couldn't blame him so maybe Pepe.

deadrevelz

We need significant improvements this summer, that much is clear. Ole is doing the best he can with the players but the injuries have shown what our squad depth is like. A lot of average players who can do a job, but no-one who can come off the bench to change a game.

Make no mistake, all of our domestic and European rivals will strengthen and if we don't, the gap will just become bigger. That's if we actually want to win trophies of course, if top 4 and getting through the CL group stage is our ambition we should be ok.

Hammer_st

I read some rumours, thar Brandt has a €24m release clause in his contract.
He would be a nice option for our attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesjimmybyrondean

After reading through the page and some player evaluation I came up with my own summer signings. Would love us to get Koulibaly(80m) Rabiot(free) Munier(30m) and Sancho(120m). All together that's 230m and after getting rid of some of the deadwood we should have a net spend of 200m which is the rumoured summer budget.

Would also love a 4-3-3 formation with Martial Rashford and Sancho in attack then a midfield where Pogba is an attacking midfielder (sometimes gives the ball away in dangerous positions as a CM and clearly gets tired from all that running back and forth) right behind the forwards while Rabiot and Herrera are the other midfielders midfielder behind Pogba...Herrera being on the right CM/DM and Rabiot being one the left CM/DM.

For all Rabiot's talk about not wanting to be a DM the boy knows how to do it and also knows how to attack hold the ball and pick out a good pass and am sure Ole can handle his attitude plus he would probably love the United atmosphere. Saw some people arguing that Rabiot plays mostly on the left midfield which is why I think he would be perfect with a partner like Herrera on the right.

Then in defense I would say Shaw Koulibaly Lindelof and Munier. Do you guys think this team could challenge for the title and how do you think the style would be ...I think this team makes the most sense given our budget and need of quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

deadrevelz

Rumours (from fairly crappy sources) that we are looking at Koulibaly, Wan-Bissaka and Rakitic for this summer.

Hope it isn't true, unless we are also signing a RW and CM. Koulibaly might cost 80MIL, Rakitic is yet another failed Barca / Madrid cast off who is 30 and will most likely be shit and cost a fortune. Bissaka would be good but casts doubt on Dalots future. Maybe we will play Dalot or Bissaka on the wing. :(

Fracture90

Rumours (from fairly crappy sources) that we are looking at Koulibaly, Wan-Bissaka and Rakitic for this summer.

Hope it isn't true, unless we are also signing a RW and CM. Koulibaly might cost 80MIL, Rakitic is yet another failed Barca / Madrid cast off who is 30 and will most likely be shit and cost a fortune. Bissaka would be good but casts doubt on Dalots future. Maybe we will play Dalot or Bissaka on the wing. :(
Like you said, crappy sources .

Woziak

I keep hearing that the club needs 6 or 7 players to be brought in this summer which would cost in excess of £350m, this simply is not going to happen. The reality is Ole has won 12 from 15 games with the same squad that Jose failed with, all of a sudden Pogba looks World Class, Luke Shaw the best left back in the league, Lindelof an elite level CB and Rashford, Martial and even Lukaku all looking like they have 1 or 2 goals per game in them.

My point is spending money for spending monies sake never works, yes we need key investment in the summer but I think we should also be looking at accelerating bringing through some of the youth to replace the Deadwood.

My plan of action would be as follows;
  • Firstly resign key players like Marcus Rashford, David De Gea, Juan Mata and Ander Herrera so the players we want to keep are all signed on long contracts or 1 year recurring with Juan.
  • Secondly move on those players who now offer very little or nothing to the first team squad. Darmian, Rojo, Eric Bailly, Valencia, Alexis Sanchez, James Wilson. We May get £85M but more importantly the wage bill will be reduced by £950k per week added to Feillani's probably saving the club £1.1m per week available.
  • Thirdly all those players that are on the fringe of the squad, players like Fred, Andreas Pereirra, Phil Jones, Lukaku all given clear targets they need to achieve to remain at the club past 2020.
  • Before we can decide on investment we also need to see if youngsters like Tim Fosu Mensah, Axel Tuanzebe, Mason Greenwood, Angel Gomez, Taith Chong and James Garner can step up. Some may still need PL loans, Some may be sold like TFM and at least 2 or 3 need to be upgraded to the first team squad, for me Axel, Mason and Angel.
  • The Squad hopefully should look something like this GK - D De Gea, S Romero, L Grant Defenders - A Young, A Tuanzebe, D Dalot, P Jones, C Smalling, V Lindelof, L Shaw, *New FB, *New CBL Midfield - P Pogba, S McTominay, N Matic, A Herrera, Fred, A Perreira, A Gomez, *New BTB Strikers - M Rashford, J Lingard, J Mata, M Greenwood, R Lukaku, A Martial * New Marquee RW
The club has been pretty hit and miss in the transfer market and hopefully we have finally learned our lesson from signing fading 30 year old players on huge wages that cause disharmony among the group so No we don't want Gareth Bale or Ivan Rakotic! We need 3 maybe 4 players with K Koulibaly being the most critical transfer as he is a ball playing beast of a left sided Centre Back. We need a Young mobile Box to Box player who will be at the club for 7 or 8 years a player like Declan Rice or Tanguay Ndombele and finally we need a special 'Theatre of Dreams' player who can play wide right or left, false 9 or as a No 10, a special player, fit to wear our no 7 Shirt not a f......mercenary so we should go break the bank for either Jadon Sancho or Paulo Dyballa. This would give us a 27 man squad with the threat from the Manager of purging that to 25 the following season if Fringe players do not perform. Those 3 players alone would probably cost £200-230M and wages of £700k per week so if you then add Wan Bissaka, the popular full back option would cost another £40M or 120k per week your looking at a net Spend of probably £180-190M which will be the absolute maximum the club will invest this summer.

Finally we would have a young mobile talented squad, with genuine leaders that would not only challenge for the 2019/20 season but for the next 5 years after that!

UpWithRivers

Just buy Alderweild and Rabiot and that leaves almost all our budget for

RW - Pepe (50/60) or Sancho (100)
RB - Wan Bissaka (40/50)
and then we try buy one or two top young players depending on availability/price and income from sales i.e. - De Ligt/Felix/Tierney/Rice etc

Yes koulibaly would be great but 100 mill plus! Would Rather Alderweild + Wan Bissaka for 75 - heck we could probably get Tierney for the extra 25.

Same as Sancho - If he is the best of the best sure lets spend 100 on him but over that is too much risk. I would rather spend it on Pepe(50), Felix (50) and Rice (50).

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
RB:
In: Ricardo Pereira - impressed with him, start relegating Young to the bench/emergencies. Dalot and Pereira to rotate.
Out: Darmian​

LB:
In: Sessengnon - Fulham are as good as down down so a cut price deal for a young talent.​

CB:
In: ? With the better defence currently playing do we need people here - Mike and Victor look good. Eric as well combined with Phil are good reserve options. Perhaps a solid, bench option? I'm just not sure we can get that mk2 VVD almost guaranteed success CB...
Out: Rojo​

RW:
In: Nicholas Pepe/Jadon Sancho - desperately look to build a team around PP, needs movement and runners off him to hit. Inventive and danger men to help push teams back and allow him time to do his thing. Players like JS and NP look terrifying.
Out: Sanchez - Another Falcao, can barely control a ball currently, cut loses, stopped City getting him, shame but that's football.​

CM:
In: Julian Brandt/Declan Rice - reinforcements should Ander get injured or Pogba. Good to Hoover up decent talent, more than happy for us to become like Bayern. Brandt release clause is a steal. Rice looks a good prospect for that 6 role in a 3.
Out: Andreas Pereira - unfortunately I don't see anything other than an average player here. Again shame but yeah, Everton beckons.
Push Greenwood and Chong through. See if they can swim.

We really need to get in a midfielder who's a composed,efficient passer of the ball.Someone who can give-and-go and make us tick.
We've still yet to replace Carrick,or Scholes for that matter.
That type of player is still at the forefront of priorities alongside a right sided attacker,in my opinion.

Canagel

Ins:
CB: Koulibaly: 90m
RB: Bissaka- 40m
DM: Rabiot- Free
AM/RW/LW: J Brandt - 25m clause
RW: Pepe- 50m

Out:
Valencia
Rojo
Darmian
Sanchez
Mata
Andreas

Devil may care

The thing for me is we are going to have to sell to buy when you look at how overstuffed this squad is, we can't just add more players and keep increasing the wage bill and that worries me a bit as we don't do all that well when it comes to clearing players out.

I'm no longer sure what we are going to do about midfield, the balance isn't right but nearly every CM brought up offers a part solution but a new imbalance. I am also starting to think that instead of a winger Ole might look towards bringing in another false 9/#10 type of player so we can really focus on the diamond given it suits our current 4 main forwards more than 4-3-3 does.

CB
Out: Rojo & Bailly
In: Koulibaly or de Ligt

RB
Out: Valenica & Darmian
In: Meunier

False 9/#10
Out: Mata
In: Eriksen/Dybala/Isco/Fekir/Joao Felix

Striker
Out: Alexis Sanchez
In: Timo Wrener or Luka Jovic

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Psg may be in for him as well. Silva ain't getting any younger.
Juventus as well, lets face it every 'big' club will be in for him. I hope for his sake he chooses somewhere where he is going to get a lot of first team football rather than warming the bench at Barca.

Id like to see us clear out some dead wood first, Sanchez, Mata, Jones, Darmian, Valencia for starters, we need some real direction with our CB's, Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, one of these goes. Young is a tough one, he has been a good performer this season, but at 33 is it time to look to the future?

VanGaalEra

CB:
De Ligt/Koulibaly

RB:
Wan Bissaka

CM:
Rice

RW:
Sancho

250-300M? Won't happen but I'd be happy with 3 out of those 4. Hell, give me 2 and the magic sock comes out.

Hammer_st

This season it could be possible, that some of the biggest talents are available. Sancho, DeLigt, Joao Felix and Dybala.
It's a little bit FM, but all of them would be great.
Maybe we can swap Lukaku with Dybala +30mio.
Buy Joao Felix for 70mio
Buy Sancho for 100mio and offload Sanchez maybe for about 20-30mio
Buy DeLigt for 70mio and sell Rojo and Bailly for 10mio + 30mio.
That would be a net spend approx. 210mio and we would have an amazing squad.
But I'm just dreaming.

Devil may care

Apparently Ole talked about transfers in the embargoed section of the presser and said we want to promote youth but will look to bring 1 or 2 in, now hopefully like Fergie he's underplaying it, however if at best that means 3 and we are looking to build on the 4-4-2 diamond with the idea of 2 in each position then I expect more Ashley Young and we'll have to keep Darmian to cover LB here and there.

Sanchez, Bailly and Rojo sold, Mata and Pereira go on a free.

CB's
Lindelof/Smalling/de Ligt/Jones

FB's
Dalot/Shaw/Young/Darmian

CM's
Pogba/Herrera/Fred/Matic/McTominay/New signing

False 9/#10
Lingard/New signing

Strikers
Rashford/Martial/Lukaku/Greenwood