What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

StrettyEnder07

Really hope you're right on the first on the first part in bold :lol:. Although I think its highly unlikely we can hope mate.
Haha we can hope and pray mate, no doubt he will hit about 35 assists, he does look absolute quality, to be fair I'm quite happy with a few more this summer and the kids being given a crack.

We need to seriously move on some of this deadwood though, is Darmian even still alive!

Eric's Seagull

Haha we can hope and pray mate, no doubt he will hit about 35 assists, he does look absolute quality, to be fair I'm quite happy with a few more this summer and the kids being given a crack.

We need to seriously move on some of this deadwood though, is Darmian even still alive!
:lol:Gonna struggle to move on the deadwood as I've been saying for a while we pay such high wages to our players noone with any sense is going to pay. If they leave they may have to take a pay cut which I don't think will happen unless they desperately want first team football. I think a good thing would be to let them run their contracts down but Woody for some reason puts them on longs deals last season mate:houllier:

StrettyEnder07

:lol:Gonna struggle to move on the deadwood as I've been saying for a while we pay such high wages to our players noone with any sense is going to pay. If they leave they may have to take a pay cut which I don't think will happen unless they desperately want first team football. I think a good thing would be to let them run their contracts down but Woody for some reason puts them on longs deals last season mate:houllier:
Ha yeah it is just laughable, all on 100k plus a week, can't get rid of any of them, seen a report saying we want 25M for Rojo, if I was a manager of a club I would refuse to pay 2.5M no matter than 25!

It's just mental, I know we were never going to rid all of them but to sell none ha insane, hopefully a few teams will get a bit desperate towards the end of the window.

Eric's Seagull

Ha yeah it is just laughable, all on 100k plus a week, can't get rid of any of them, seen a report saying we want 25M for Rojo, if I was a manager of a club I would refuse to pay 2.5M no matter than 25!

It's just mental, I know we were never going to rid all of them but to sell none ha insane, hopefully a few teams will get a bit desperate towards the end of the window.
Agreed i thought Darmian for one would definitely be gone. Strange how Woody claims there is no value in the market yet he's quoting ludicrous fee you mentioned for Rojo. Rojo is a joke he's managed to play just over 14 league games a season on average , since he's been here due to apalling injury record :houllier:. I case of "pot and kettle" I think mate.

George The Best

What we really need is someone other than Ed managing our transfer strategy. Ole was made permanent in March, reported to have set out his targets and plans for the summer window, agreed by Ed apparently, wanted them all sorted by 1st July. Here we are, two weeks and a few days from the window closing. We’ve signed a superb RB replacement, and an exciting prospect from the Championship. I really don’t think this is due to lack of money. The Glazers have sanctioned big spending sprees in the past, whatever you may think of them. This is just not good enough. Even if we go large in the last couple of weeks it’s a chance wasted to get players in and integrate them on the tour. Ed is the problem here imo. Talks a good talk but doesn’t do the walk bit.

jesperjaap

Also as important as getting people in - we need to get people out. The likes of Taunzebe, Chong, Gardner, Greenwood, Gomes etc should be getting squad places and getting minutes in our first team. This is not possible when we have ineffective or aging players like Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Bailly, Young, Matic, Fred, Periera, Mata, Lingard, Sanchez stinking the place up.
Yes agree, the lack of outgoings means the size of our squad is large is there even room for many signings. Ferguson was quite loyal to squad players but ruthless with players when they had past there peak, Wenger very much the same.....but the last few years we seem to have been giving loyalty to players not good enough, past there peak and the wrong age with in the first eleven....madness

Personally see nothing in Chong myself and would like to see him loaned out for the season, too early for Garner and maybe a similar scenario would be ideal for him. As things stand I woul dlike to see Tuanzabe getgame time as our centre backs are so damn average, not sure it will happen though. I would also like to see Gomes get game time as he has so much ability and he looks ready to me, would like to see him coming off the bench....againnot sure it will happen though. I do think Greenwood will get chances though, that is a postitive for me.

What we do need is a clear out like you say, not just the deadwood, but the toxic players too and underperforming ones, this should dhave started last summer as over three windows we could have completed it, I actually think the number should have left is comfortably in double figures things are that dire.....as its only three, cant really talk about what I think we really need as we cant do it, especially this late....but

We just have to sign a centre back if nothing else in the remainder of this window.

What I actually think we need if we had cleared out would be 2xcb, 2xcm one being an anchor man the other a box to box midfielder and a RW (would like to see Greenwood as the back up striker)

Jig1234

As it stands I see us finishing 6th again.

Why?
1. Matic. Slow, Can't turn. He will expose our defence, even if we sign Maguire. If Matic is still starting games. We will lose the midfield battle vs most teams.
2. If he stays, Pogba will get blamed for not being Makélélé/Kante and Pogba at the same time. His job is to create/score goals. He has never been good at the other side of the game. That is why he thrived with Pirlo and Vidal. - Matic, Herrera and Fred are not on Pogba's level.

Wolves. Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker
Leicester: Ndidi, Maddison and Tielemans
Everton:André Gomes, Idrissa Gueye, Sigurðsson
Spurs: Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso* (Potentially)
Chelsea: Kante, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley.

Looking at Utd:
Pogba, McTominay and Fred.
Pogba, Matic and Fred.
Pogba, McTominay and Andreas.

I don't think Utd have an adequate midfield 2/3. I think The teams I've mentioned above have better, more all rounded midfields. The issue for Utd is the gulf between Pogba and everyone else. I think Everton, Wolves etc. Have players of a similar level so they work better. I think with Matic. Utd will struggle to win the midfield battle.

IMO Maguire for 80m is a waste of money. He will improve us but I fear that the improvement will be incremental with our weak CM/DM midfield options.

I think Utd need to get 2 midfielders before this window closes instead. A Centre midfielder and Defensive midfielder. I think the DM is more important.

Someone like Thomas Partey alongwith Bruno Fernandes. I think these two players would give Utd a much better chance of finishing in the top four than spending 80m on Maguire. I believe Lindelof will come good. and I think Tuanzebe is ready to step up. He should be ahead of Rojo/Jones now at least.

Fer

Who would you prefer...

Dybala, Bale or Pepe?

Eriksen, Fernandes or Milenkovic-Savic?

minoo-utd

Actually we will never start the season getting what we exactly want. We signed 2 players while almost in need of 5 but we are likely to get only one more, and again start the season with some dead wood in the squad and that's the case for six years now and continues..

Sea-Cow

Who would you prefer...

Dybala, Bale or Pepe? Ummmm.... none of the above? I would go with Bale if I was confident he could stay relatively injury-free, but that is not likely. Dybala would obviously be an upgrade on Mata and Lingard, but he doesn't really have any pace and is I dunno... I just get the Angel DiMaria vibe from him. And Pepe, I really have no idea. I've only ever seen the rare youtube highlights. He looks to have pace, but I am not what else.

Eriksen, Fernandes or Milenkovic-Savic? Eriksen. Would be a nightmare to deal with Spurs of course, but he would be good. Next, I would say Fernandes, and the big Serb is a distant third.

Zeno

Let’s say, before the end of the window, it’s:
In - Maguire, Longstaff & Dybala
Out - Darmian, Rojo & Lukaku

Does Woodward get an ‘A’ on his summer report card...?

marktan

Actually we will never start the season getting what we exactly want. We signed 2 players while almost in need of 5 but we are likely to get only one more, and again start the season with some dead wood in the squad and that's the case for six years now and continues..
We need a summer like Pe'ps second summer where he signed Walker, Mendy and co for like £200m total. We keep buying 2-3 players each summer, and then next season half our squad wants to leave due to the bad season we've had.

Unfortunately we can't really commit to a proper summer of spending because we have an unknown manager in charge. Just bad planning all around.

romufc

We needed 5 players that could come straight into the first 11.

AWB - Starter
James - I dont think he is a guaranteed starter.

Even when we signed James, Ole said something on the lines of a good talent for the future meaning even he knows this season will be bleeding him in.

We need reinforcements in Mid and CB.

romufc

We need a summer like Pe'ps second summer where he signed Walker, Mendy and co for like £200m total. We keep buying 2-3 players each summer, and then next season half our squad wants to leave due to the bad season we've had.

Unfortunately we can't really commit to a proper summer of spending because we have an unknown manager in charge. Just bad planning all around.
I would call it terrible planning. Ole got hired to re-build and was possible assured some backing in the transfer window otherwise he wouldn't have come out with comments such as he did after the losses at the end.

Now he is realising he has been sold short by Ed. Why Can't we for this window back the manager? everyone can see where the team shorfalls are. To be perfectly honest, Ole isn't exactly asking for Galactico signings that are hard to get. From reports, he wants Maguire, Longstaff and Bruno - these seem like simple deals to get done if we want to?

Hawks2008

We needed a RB and have filled that need but the starting 11 still needs a CB, DM, CM, RW and this is before even looking at potential outgoings like Lukaku. We'll let Leicester bend us over for Maguire before the window ends but beyond that I don't see much more business being done.

romufc

We needed a RB and have filled that need but the starting 11 still needs a CB, DM, CM, RW and this is before even looking at potential outgoings like Lukaku. We'll let Leicester bend us over for Maguire before the window ends but beyond that I don't see much more business being done.
Growing frustrations all round. We just want a team that can challenge.

StrettyEnder07

Why?
1. Matic. Slow, Can't turn. He will expose our defence, even if we sign Maguire. If Matic is still starting games. We will lose the midfield battle vs most teams.
2. If he stays, Pogba will get blamed for not being Makélélé/Kante and Pogba at the same time. His job is to create/score goals. He has never been good at the other side of the game. That is why he thrived with Pirlo and Vidal. - Matic, Herrera and Fred are not on Pogba's level.

Looking at Utd:
Pogba, Matic and Fred.

I don't think Utd have an adequate midfield 2/3. I think The teams I've mentioned above have better, more all rounded midfields. The issue for Utd is the gulf between Pogba and everyone else. I think Everton, Wolves etc. Have players of a similar level so they work better. I think with Matic. Utd will struggle to win the midfield battle.

IMO Maguire for 80m is a waste of money. He will improve us but I fear that the improvement will be incremental with our weak CM/DM midfield options.

I think Utd need to get 2 midfielders before this window closes instead. A Centre midfielder and Defensive midfielder. I think the DM is more important.

Someone like Thomas Partey alongwith Bruno Fernandes. I think these two players would give Utd a much better chance of finishing in the top four than spending 80m on Maguire. I believe Lindelof will come good. and I think Tuanzebe is ready to step up. He should be ahead of Rojo/Jones now at least.
Spot on post! It is actually quite scary when you put everyone's midfield down on screen, ours is pretty shocking in comparison.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I agree with you that a top midfielder (better 2 - a creative attacking one and a solid CDM) should be the highest priority. Also I am not fully trusting our attacking players so I would like to see added in this order:

Midfielder
Right Winger / mobile CF
CB

Hawks2008

Growing frustrations all round. We just want a team that can challenge.
I understand we cannot have filled every need in one window, but we really should be showing more ambition in the market with the resources available to us. Juventus and the Madrid clubs have shown how to perform in the market, well run clubs who identified their targets and delivered efficiently. There is no reason the signings of James and Wan Bissaka should have taken a month each to complete and the same goes for Maguire who we are still haggling for. Pre-season is nearly done and the window closes on August 8th, we have 1 starting 11 player and one squad player in the door. It is not acceptable, even if we get Maguire over the line it wont be enough.

It's even more frustrating that Woodward and his crony Judge are fecking things up for Ole in his first chance to bring in players that he wants when LvG and Mourinho were heavily backed in their first season.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition

Why?

Looking at Utd:
Pogba, Matic and Fred.

This is freaky. Feel the exact same way. Including the need for a DM above CB too (Partey!)

Btw was wondering why Chelsea's midfield looks shite then realized u left out Jorginho

romufc

I understand we cannot have filled every need in one window, but we really should be showing more ambition in the market with the resources available to us. Juventus and the Madrid clubs have shown how to perform in the market, well run clubs who identified their targets and delivered efficiently. There is no reason the signings of James and Wan Bissaka should have taken a month each to complete and the same goes for Maguire who we are still haggling for. Pre-season is nearly done and the window closes on August 8th, we have 1 starting 11 player and one squad player in the door. It is not acceptable, even if we get Maguire over the line it wont be enough.

It's even more frustrating that Woodward and his crony Judge are fecking things up for Ole in his first chance to bring in players that he wants when LvG and Mourinho were heavily backed in their first season.

Exactly, Juve and madrid have shown how to get deals done. I don't care what fans on here say transfers are difficult etc, other clubs seem to be doing fine, so why can't we?

We all understand that we can't get 7/8 players in one window. I would be happy with 4. Maguire (seems to be Ole's choice) AWB, James and a CM?

The thing which is annoying me most is having watched our pre season friendlies, I can see what Ole is trying to do, if we get a CB and CM it will give him the best shot at succeeding at Utd. He is trying, you can see in his pressers, he wants to succeed, he is upbeat but without the backing from within you won't succeed.

These players have had 2 managers and failed them both, they will fail Ole too and everyone will be blaming him and he will get the sack when it is not down to him.

NoPace

We needed 5 players that could come straight into the first 11.

AWB - Starter
James - I dont think he is a guaranteed starter.

Even when we signed James, Ole said something on the lines of a good talent for the future meaning even he knows this season will be bleeding him in.

We need reinforcements in Mid and CB.
I can live with Tuanzebe getting a shot but we clearly need 2 midfielders and a RW to start immediately.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I would call it terrible planning. Ole got hired to re-build and was possible assured some backing in the transfer window otherwise he wouldn't have come out with comments such as he did after the losses at the end.

Now he is realising he has been sold short by Ed. Why Can't we for this window back the manager? everyone can see where the team shorfalls are. To be perfectly honest, Ole isn't exactly asking for Galactico signings that are hard to get. From reports, he wants Maguire, Longstaff and Bruno - these seem like simple deals to get done if we want to?
I don't think there is such a thing as a simple transfer anymore. Too much money at stake.

Why would the Maguire and/or Longstaff transfers be easy when their clubs don't want to sell? Fernándes? There is nothing concrete to suggest we are even interested. I suspect he was always an 'if Pogba leaves' option.

Let's wait for the window to close before we judge whether Ole is being backed.

Fosu-Mens

I can live with Tuanzebe getting a shot but we clearly need 2 midfielders and a RW to start immediately.
We can make top 4 (which is the best we can actually hope for) if we get 2 of the 3 positions filled with players that are good and suits our team and assumed playstyle.

Getting a new CB should not be a priority since the money we are going to have to spend and the marginal improvement Maguire would lead to will not be the difference between top 4 or not. Getting suitable and competent players at CM/CDM and at RW are transfers that are more likely to make this difference.

tony54

Let’s say, before the end of the window, it’s:
In - Maguire, Longstaff & Dybala
Out - Darmian, Rojo & Lukaku

Does Woodward get an ‘A’ on his summer report card...?
There is a simple answer to this and it is NO. The useless clot knows nothing about football and all he has done in his tenure here is clog us up with one of the biggest wage bills with the most overrated players. Plus on top of this we are shackled with high wages for useless players who hardly play and no- one wants to buy and whose value is rocketing to zero with each successive year. I don't see many clubs scampering for pogba apart from, supposedly, Real.
Sorry to be obtuse but what I say is fact and there is only one person responsible and that is Woodward.

buckooo1978

Why?

Looking at Utd:
Pogba, Matic and Fred.

like this post

I wonder what Ole thinks about Fred/McTominay and how he sees their roles this year

if Matic starts v Chelsea it doesn't bear well for the season

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If the fitness issues have been addressed, and it looks promising on that front, then we will comfortably finish in the top four, even without further signings.

oreon

Why?

Looking at Utd:
Pogba, Matic and Fred.

Absolutely spot on. Midfield is a disaster waiting to happen. We were awful without Herera last season. In addition when Matic lost form, Ole was struggling to fill in that CDM spot. He tried McTominay, Fred & Pereira and, none of them worked at that position. Midfield was easily our weakest position, I am flabbergasted that it has not been prioritized. We could have gotten away without signing a CB or RB and still made top 4 if we improved the midfield. It's clear the people running UTD are incompetent but I hope they are not stupid either. There are two weeks to go, they cannot expect top 4 if we don't bring at least one experienced midfielder

Fosu-Mens

If the fitness issues have been addressed, and it looks promising on that front, then we will comfortably finish in the top four, even without further signings.
Seriously doubt that despite Arsenal and Chelsea not being any better than last season.
We are unable to attack or play against balanced defences; we have issues with spacing and balance in the team, we are likely to struggle to press against technically decent teams like Everton, Leicester, Wolves and West Ham while being vulnerable against pressing sides. Our fullbacks are limited going forward and in the passing game. We have one creator among the starting 11(assuming Mata does not start)... If teams continue to man-mark PP and press him with more than one player then the rest of our team is not good enough to pass the ball around nor transition into the attack without hoofing the ball and hope for the best. Our next best passer in the starting 11(assuming Mata does not start) is Lindelof.

NJM78

We won’t finish top 4 and I'm super confident about it. Football and fitness may improve but we will continue to ship goals and not score many. I’ve already written off this upcoming season and the final two weeks of the window.

Roll on next summer window...

O'Sheady

Utd need all the obvious reinforcements as in a cb, a couple of cms and a striker but I would also really like a young back up left back. If Shaw went down injured the thought of Ashley Young starting every week gives me sweats.
I am not even a Young hater, he is just too old and slow to start week after week. Is there anyone coming through the academy or else any young players out there like Dalot (don't fancy him as cover on the left) who could be picked up reasonably cheaply?

Dante

Average bang
Utd need all the obvious reinforcements as in a cb, a couple of cms and a striker but I would also really like a young back up left back. If Shaw went down injured the thought of Ashley Young starting every week gives me sweats.
I am not even a Young hater, he is just too old and slow to start week after week. Is there anyone coming through the academy or else any young players out there like Dalot (don't fancy him as cover on the left) who could be picked up reasonably cheaply?
Young isn't slow. That's a weird thing to say.

Sea-Cow

We won’t finish top 4 and I'm super confident about it. Football and fitness may improve but we will continue to ship goals and not score many. I’ve already written off this upcoming season and the final two weeks of the window.

Roll on next summer window...
Haha I'm right there with you mate. If we start with Tuanzebe and Lindelof as our CBs, with no Fellani to help out, we will be one of the softest teams in the league.

Shit teams will sit back and laugh at our pathetic attempts at attacking, knowing that they can hit us on the break and any set-pieces. And good teams will just dominate and bully us from front to back.

Nothing will change this year, except the manager sometime around April.

NJM78

Haha I'm right there with you mate. If we start with Tuanzebe and Lindelof as our CBs, with no Fellani to help out, we will be one of the softest teams in the league.

Shit teams will sit back and laugh at our pathetic attempts at attacking, knowing that they can hit us on the break and any set-pieces. And good teams will just dominate and bully us from front to back.

Nothing will change this year, except the manager sometime around April.
Double team Pogba and leave our limited players have the ball before panicking and losing it. Such a simple team to set up against.
I’m seriously pissed with the window, hopefully we at least get Maguire in to help us be less awful at defending and attacking set pieces.