What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What we need most of all is to reset our wage structure. Sign young, hungry players on low basic wages with incentives, and move them on quickly if they don't work out.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Get rid:

DDG
Martial
Sancho
Maguire
Weghorst
Sabitzer
McTominay
Elanga
Williams
Jones
Telles
Bailly
Tuanzebe

It's fecking shocking how much gutting is required. Not a single player on that list has anything close to a winning mentality or required ability.

redIndianDevil

I change my mind, I have always maintained that we can manage with De Gea but it’s clear that the number one priority is GK then a midfielder and finally a striker. I don’t care if we don’t score enough goals, I just want to see us bring the ball out the back quickly, safely and dominate possession especially against teams that press high. Spend all the money on GK and a central midfielder.

Dannn411

A huge purge is what we need. Half the squad needs to go this summer. Might be more. Either by release or sale. Just take the hit and get rid.

Roboc7

We need lots of players out and lots in, that’s always been the case. Anyone who think just a striker will have us challenging is deluded.

Going to be two summer windows of big turnover and ins and outs before there’s any chance of us making real progress.

Fabio Rochemback

Get rid:

DDG
Martial
Sancho
Maguire
Weghorst
Sabitzer
McTominay
Elanga
Williams
Jones
Telles
Bailly
Tuanzebe

It's fecking shocking how much gutting is required. Not a single player on that list has anything close to a winning mentality or required ability.
When I saw the length of this list I thought "kneejerk", but no, fully agree with all of these

FerociousCorgis

i mean be easier to go over positions we dont need new incomings. RW prob (antony, plus diallo/pellistri/garnacho all options there that provide something). LW prob with rash/garnacho being the two main options. CAM probbbb ok with rotating Bruno with Eriksen. That is pretty much it.

CF a black hole, Case needs a backup/rotation option, need a true starter next to him in midfield, also prob need 1-2 more true CM's to be able to rotate in, LB has just shaw who cant stay healthy/in form and highly inconsistent malacia, Varane cant stay healthy enough at CB and we know what lindelof/maguire dont provide. Martinez hope back healthy to at least nail down 1 spot. RB has two mediocre options, then obvs the DDG situation.

zaafi

Keep AWB, Licha, Varane, Shaw, Rashford, Bruno, Eriksen, Garnacho and Antony.

The rest can go for all I care.

jesperjaap

The simple truth is we still have a large squad, despite so many players leaving out of contract and that the quality of the squad is thread bare in areas and top heavy in others.

I still think the squad needs trimming numbers wise and also to raise funds.

Deadwood def out: Henderson, Bailly, Jones, Telles, Tuanzabe, Williams, VDB plus ALL of our loan signings, none are worth keeping. Henderson and VDB should kbring in decent money, just get the rest of the books.

Then there are a few players been here a while now, never been good enough consistently Maguire, Dalot and McTominay. I also add Martial to that, despite the talent there are the injuries but even forgetting that, he has been here now for EIGHT seasons, how many as he really contributed to, a couple maybe?

TBH there are a few others I would like to see gone, but I think that is a lot for one window....BUT

We have Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Garnacho all for the left and Amad, Pellestri, Antony and lets not forget Greenwood possibly, eight players for two spots....at least two of those should go and for me its ELanga and hate to say it, but Sancho.

IF we can shift most of those, I dont want to mention figures as always shot down....but thats a lot of money, and we need to raise it to change this squad.

I would like to see:

1: A quality young keeper - I would like to see DeGea offered a short term contact on reduced wages....otherwise we need two keepers, one maybe a loan and no guarantee a new keeper settles in, thats why I would liek to keep DeGea short term to battle it out

2: A right back - Despite the limitations, I liek Bissaka, but again he should be battling it out or a number two. We need a quality ATTACKING right back, Dalot simply isnt that. Livaramento I like dbefore the injury, Gusto sadly goign to CHelsea, Vanderson looks a huge talent and I see Frimpong mentioned a lot but barely seen him, but there are a few about for sure.

3: Varane misses too many games and the back ups are simply notgodo enough. We definately need one, maybe two young centre backs. Kim Man Jae, Bella Kotchap, Lukeba are names that spring to mind, few are left sided though, when its the right we need

One thing people mention is a back up for Casemeiro, personally I think we already have him in Mainoo and I would like to see him more involved next season, for me we do though need:

4: A box to box midfielder who is defensively sound, full of energy and good going forward too, a real all rounder. Eriksen doesnt have the legs to play deeper for me, Fred only suits certain situations, Fernandes has looked good deeper recently, in that respect an all rounder also helps as they can cover Casemeiro, play where Eriksen does and even play where Fernandes was further forward...in the same came interchanging. There are obvious names like Rice and Bellingham but I am not sure either come or are deasible with the fees but the likes of Caqueret and Thuram do, really like both of them.

I think the number 10 is one to be monitored, especially if Fernandes plays deeper but I think Eriksen and Fernandes can play there, the possible all rounder, Fred has looked better further forward and I still have high hopes for Hannibal and there is also Iqbal. I also think in totally different ays Pellestri and AMad could suit the role, so I wouldnt buy someone to play there.

5 and 6: We need TWO strikers this summer. We need a big signing Kane, Omishen, Vlahovic...someone of that ilk. Still not 100% on any of them for different reasons with the fees, but I dont know who else really. Not seen Hoijlund or the guy at Red Bull, but a top young striker for a rasonable fee as well. With our SOuth AMerican contingent, maybe a another oen up front. There seem to be some really talented young Brazilian strikers at the moment, I think we need to take that kind of gamble for the second choice.

For me it feels like the same old story of the last decade though, really we need 6-8 in and 10-15 out. I know its not FM and its one window, but we really need to do more in and out than we have done the alst decade or we continue the cycle too slowly.

It needs to be ruthless outwards and it needs to be more in, we are always a couple of signing short each summer. For me this summer actually needs a spend of £3-400m which sounds ridiculous and impossible....but we can recoup a pretty large proportion of that selling correctly.

New Keeper
Vanderson Varane Martinez Shaw

Casemeiro

Fernandes Thuram

Antony Rashford

Omishen

Squad
DeGea
Bissaka
Kotchap
Man Jae
Malacia
Mainoo
Fred
Hannibal
Garnacho
Eriksen
Pellestri
Vitor Roque

Something like that, young hungry players within the squad with genuine talent and a quality frist eleven and experience

BorisManUtd

Sell: Maguire, Bailly, Telles, McTominay, van de Beek, Sancho, Martial, Elanga.
Not sure De Gea will be sold as much as people are unhappy with him.

Buy: new CB, new DM (to compete with Case), new CM, new starting ST, new back up ST.

De Gea (Heaton), AWB (Dalot), Varane (new CB), Martinez (Lindelof), Shaw (Malacia), Casemiro (new DM), new CM (Fred), Bruno (Eriksen), Antony (Amad), Rashford (Garnacho), new ST (new backup ST).

That’s 22 players + likes of Sabitzer, Pellistri etc. If we buy and sell well, we’ll finally have decent depth and good quality in squad options.

Our new ST has to be world class for us to reach next level. Surely most important position.

Edwards6

We need at least a ST, CM and GK ready to come straight into the 1st team.
Plus a back up DM and CB

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Starter - Striker and goalkeeper
Backup - CB and DM, goalkeeper

Sell - Maguire, McTominay, de Gea, Elanga, Henderson, telles, Bailly, tuanzebe, Van de beek

If we get the chance to sell Sancho for anything above 30m, should sell him and simply replace him with Amad.
???
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Bruno Casemiro Eriksen
Antony ??? Rashford

???
Wan Bissaka Lindelof ??? Malacia
??? Fred
Pellistri Amad Garnacho
Martial
For 2024/25, get a CM, replace martial as backup st, possibly RB, possibly Varane replace. There are phases to the process..

The Irish Connection

5 in, as others have said.

The more technically sound players like Martinez the better if we want to play out from the back and control things.

CF, CMx2, CB, GK

ForeverRed1

we need to sell a few players, not just players who don’t play but also some of our current squad players need to be sold and replaced. We need to get as much money as possible from this squad so we can upgrade and strengthen.

DDG -
Maguire
Sancho
Mctominay
Fred
Awb
Martial
Bailley
Jones
B williams
Elanga

200million there possibly?

let Weghorst and sabitzer both go back to respective clubs from their loans.

bring amad back from loan.

buy:

Maignan - 80mil.
Harry kane - 80mil.
rasmus hojlund - 60mil.
Barella - 60mil
Kovacic - 30mil (one year left on contra
Pavard - 25mil (last year of contract).
Rabiot - free transfer
Ndicka - free transfer

Maignan, pavard, dalot, varane, Martinez, ndicka, shaw, malacia.

casemiro, barella, rabiot, kovacic, Eriksen.

bruno, rashford, Antony, garnacho, amad.

kane and hojlund.

SAFMUTD

Like Ragnick said we need at least 8-10 new players. We have some great players, some average and some awful ones. We need to have great and good players only if we want to succeed.

croadyman

Revised priority list (keeps changing)

ST (Kane/Osimhen)
GK (Maignan)
CM (Bennacer)
DM (backup - Lavia)
CB (Min-Jae)
RB (Frimpong)
ST (backup- Thuram)

wangyu

I’m not really following the contracts a lot but I am flabbergasted to read Jones is still in our books. He must have quite an expensive contract and I cannot remember the last time I saw him play.

croadyman

I’m not really following the contracts a lot but I am flabbergasted to read Jones is still in our books. He must have quite an expensive contract and I cannot remember the last time I saw him play.
Scousers last season maybe

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I feel like my list keeps on increasing but:

- A creative #8 next to Casemiro who doesn't shit himself under pressure
- Striker
- Young #6 so we can rest Casemiro and have his replacement ready for when he eventually starts declining
- CB so we can rest Varane
- GK that can pass the ball

If we're smart with our transfer window business (doubtfull) then we can get it done.

gajender

I feel like my list keeps on increasing but:

- A creative #8 next to Casemiro who doesn't shit himself under pressure
- Striker
- Young #6 so we can rest Casemiro and have his replacement ready for when he eventually starts declining
- CB so we can rest Varane
- GK that can pass the ball

If we're smart with our transfer window business (doubtfull) then we can get it done.
Add Right back to that list as well both Dalot and Wan Bissaka aren't good enough long term .

jamesjimmybyrondean

We need a striker, CM, RCB, RB and GK. But I think It's wishful thinking to hope we get a GK as DDG is obviously getting a new contract, unfortunately. The least we can do is get a ball playing RCB RB and CB to make our build up less painful to watch . Priority remains a striker as well

Kane - 80m
Mac Allister - 65m
Kim - 43m
Geertruida or Mazraoui - 30m

Kane
Rashford Bruno Antony
Mac Allister Casemiro
Shaw Martinez Kim Mazraoui
DDG

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If you had Lindelof in there you'd get few complains too! I personally wouldn't mind him staying as 4th choice but he doesn't seem to want to.
I don't have an issue with Lindelof. Think he's a good backup option. He's not put a foot wrong since coming in.

However I would add Henderson and Greenwood to the list. It's insane how long it is, and how justifiable.

aeh1991

Diogo Costa, Jeremie Frimpong, Kim Min Jae, Alexis Mac Allister, Rasmus Hojlund

Should be possible with enough sales?

I intentionally opted for a cheaper CF than Kane/Osimhen and same with MacAllister over Bellingham

Edwards6

ST- Kane
CM/DM- Neves
GK- Raya
CB- Kim Min Jae
RB- Frimpong

Plus squad players depending how many players we can sell

IRONTUSK

Get rid:

DDG
Martial
Sancho
Maguire
Weghorst
Sabitzer
McTominay
Elanga
Williams
Jones
Telles
Bailly
Tuanzebe

Last night makes things probably feel worse than they actually are BUT it feels like this conversation comes up almost every season. In the last 10 years I can only remember 2 seasons where you genuinely felt the squad/team just needed a few extra quality players adding (under Mourinho after Europa win and Ole when we finished 2nd).
Most of the time if feels the entire team needs gutting and we need to make multiple signing.
You have missed VDB from that list or would you keep him?
The last 6 players (barring Elanga) are not even in the squad but we feel we have to bring them up cos we are shite.
There is no way we can get rid of 8 squad players, if you include VDB in one window unfortunately, we are struggling as it is - I do agree with your list though

Highfather_24

We need a GK, CM, CF and preferably a young prospect CB. DM and RB can wait for next season. Need to get the spine right first.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Last night makes things probably feel worse than they actually are BUT it feels like this conversation comes up almost every season. In the last 10 years I can only remember 2 seasons where you genuinely felt the squad/team just needed a few extra quality players adding (under Mourinho after Europa win and Ole when we finished 2nd).
Most of the time if feels the entire team needs gutting and we need to make multiple signing.
You have missed VDB from that list or would you keep him?
The last 6 players (barring Elanga) are not even in the squad but we feel we have to bring them up cos we are shite.
There is no way we can get rid of 8 squad players, if you include VDB in one window unfortunately, we are struggling as it is - I do agree with your list though
I wouldn't expect to ship out these players in one window, but phased out over 3/4. VDB would absolutely be on my list to move on, as would a certain ostracized attacker and Henderson.

Looking at this, then throw into the mix the Ronaldo debacle, ETH has worked a miracle with this squad. We're fortunate that so many other rivals have had such poor seasons by their recent standards (Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs).

Borussia Teeth

Going against the grain here: I still believe we're only a starting striker and starting cm away from competing for the title.

Gk, rb, back up dm, back up striker can be addressed next season.

jackal&hyde

Kane plus a young potential based striker.

De Jong/ Bellingham for the mega expensive mega high quality CM.

Young prospect DM as cover for Casemiro.

Young prospect CD in place of Maguire.

A RB that is better then Dalot. AWB is just not good enough for a would be possession based attacking team.

If we can find a reasonable priced GK it would be ideal.

L1nk

Briefs coming out that up to 15 odd players will be allowed to leave... we'll need a lot.