What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

OT_United

We should be going out for Jacob Ramsey.
I’m guessing not a popular choice, but he will be a top no8 in a couple of seasons.

Cathy Ferguson

De Gea
Timber Verane Martinez Shaw
Barella Casemiro
Bruno
Antony Kane Rashford​

this is very doable in my opinion. Other options to Timber and Barella are Dumfries and Caicedo. We need to go all out for an established striker. I have a feeling that this would be a very good year for us.
Kane is not doable I am afraid unless we pay >100m.

dutchred

If we go for a very different type of player than Mount, what do you guys think of Teun Koopmeiners? Could try to get him in a double deal with Hojlund
His lack of pace will be found out in the PL. He's ok in Italy and at Internationals, but too slow for the PL

Bearded One

I like that lineup, apart from the goalkeeper who I will gladly change for Onana or any keeper better in possession. Barella is a very good alternative if we look for someone like FDJ or Kovačić, a player who treats the ball well and can pick a pass deeper and progress the ball. On the other hand, the alternatives you wrote are very different in their styles compared to your first choices.
Sure Onana is a dream option but I feel like we cannot do it all this summer imo. The money required is really steep. Yes different styles with my second options but the idea is to improve a step or couple of steps further till we hit the jackpot.

Bearded One

Kane is not doable I am afraid unless we pay >100m.
I understand how you feel about spending so much where there might be little return in a few years but I guess we may just have to bite the bullet. Do you reckon we go for Osimhen - 150m - instead?

Cathy Ferguson

I understand how you feel about spending so much where there might be little return in a few years but I guess we may just have to bite the bullet. Do you reckon we go for Osimhen - 150m - instead?
No, I would pay 100m for Kane since all other options are riskier. But 100m might not be enough and our net budget might be 120m. The vibes from this transfer is that Kane will play out his contract or maybe leave in January for 40m. We will struggle for top 4 if we fail to get a top striker.

Lux Thunder

Sure Onana is a dream option but I feel like we cannot do it all this summer imo. The money required is really steep. Yes different styles with my second options but the idea is to improve a step or couple of steps further till we hit the jackpot.
Yeah, it will require net spending close to last summer, but if I have to choose I will rather go for Onana as the new no.1 and stick with Dalot and AWB for another season - I think it will make more difference to us.

Caicedo is an interesting and versatile player as he can play alongside Casemiro, cover him, and also can play a similar role as Stones from the RB position. IMO signing someone like Dumfries or Frimpong will require Bruno at RW or a pure wide forward like MG to balance our shape in possession. Great picks anyway.

Woziak

I’m guessing not a popular choice, but he will be a top no8 in a couple of seasons.
This is the obvious choice snd he has a higher ceiling than Mount, can’t see Villa selling for less than. £65/70m thought

Last edited:

croadyman

Still need a top striker,however if we went big for Caicedo then can't see it being Kane

Woziak

Would United Fans take right now ;

A Onana (45m), M Caciedo (75m)
R Hojlund (55m) in the next month to 6 weeks and then re look at the last part of the window under a new owner where we might sign 2 or 3 additional players late August ?

croadyman

R Hojlund (55m) in the next month to 6 weeks and then re look at the last part of the window under a new owner where we might sign 2 or 3 additional players late August ?
I would if Hojlund was a bit cheaper than that,also be very surprised to get Caicedo for that when they turned down similar from Arsenal

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What we need is to have the fecking club ownership sorted out. Everything else is largely irrelevant as we will be papering over holes whilst watching rivals build better and stronger for longer squads.

We will do nothing this window then panic in the last few weeks and spunk 150m on Mount and Hojlund. Seen it all before, and it will be another season of hoping rivals are shite so we can claim one of the open top 4 positions.

ManRed

That would make our offense even more weak and goals was our biggest issue last season.

Rather make it a summer of Osimhem (120)/Kane(100), Caicedo (75), Onana (45) and a cheap CB option to cover Varane (who we replace next season)

Woziak

That would make our offense even more weak and goals was our biggest issue last season.

Rather make it a summer of Osimhem (120)/Kane(100), Caicedo (75), Onana (45) and a cheap CB option to cover Varane (who we replace next season)
Getable targets , I just don’t think Kane or Osimhem are available if so I agree with you but just can’t see it !

jesperjaap

Diogo Costa £55m
Youhan Diouf £15m
Bella Kotchap £25m
Lukeba £35m
Caqueret £35m
Caicedo £75m
Hoijlund £55m
Gift Oban £15m

£320m

Out
DeGea Free
Henderson £25m
Telles £5m
Bailly £5m
Lindelof £25m
Maguire £30m
Williams £5m
Fred £20m
McTominay £20m
VDB £10m
Martial £15m
Elanga £15m
Sancho £50m

£220m

£100m net spend

That would be the dream but I think we sign Onana and do an experienced loan for the second keeper and that we sign Mount as our only midfield signings....not verwhelmed by either in all honesty for the prices mentioned especially.....but I do think there will be a big signing surprise dont see a Kane, Neymar, Mbappe or even Caicedo....I have a gut feeling we end up splashing a fortune signing Omishen for some reason, by no means a bad things....but think we only do four or 5...Onana, a cb, Mount, low key striker, Omishen, end up spendin gsimilar but more than last year but I expect us to sell pretty much all my outs bar SAncho and Lindelof though mayve 3.4 of tem end up as loans again

Erik the Red

I would add Timber, Rabiot and Gift Orban, even without a new owner. Total spend around £225m. I think we should be able to afford that with sensible sales.

Squad would look something like:

Onana / Heaton
AWB / Dalot
Varane / Timber
Martinez / Lindelof
Shaw / Malacia
Casemiro / Rabiot
Caicedo / Eriksen
Bruno / Sancho
Antony / MG
Hojlund / Orban
Rashford / Garnacho

Sales: DeGea, Henderson, Telles, Bailly, Maguire, Williams, Fred, McTominay, VDB, Martial, Elanga, Amad, Pellistri, etc.

Then next season bring in Frimpong & Diaby in a double deal to completely revamp our right flank, and Mount and Kane for free.

Then Ferguson when his contract expires to replace Kane, etc.

L1nk

Some of the fantasy posts in this thread are some of the biggest copes i’ve seen i’m sorry, it’s nice to dream because I do it too I just hope you aren’t all totally committed because you’re going to be thoroughly disappointed and likely angry at the club for your own expectations not being met

We’re not getting Kane/Osimhen and Caicedo and Onana and Timber and Rabiot and so on and so forth in a single window and we’re not selling 10+ players, not sure why you build yourselves up for these scenarios

Erik the Red

Some of the fantasy posts in this thread are some of the biggest copes i’ve seen i’m sorry, it’s nice to dream because I do it too I just hope you aren’t all totally committed because you’re going to be thoroughly disappointed and likely angry at the club for your own expectations not being met

We’re not getting Kane/Osimhen and Caicedo and Onana and Timber and Rabiot and so on and so forth in a single window and we’re not selling 10+ players, not sure why you build yourselves up for these scenarios
I'm assuming this post may have been aimed at me, as have a few of your derisory posts in the past. I'm not sure what your issue is, but we are the biggest club in the country, and probably the second biggest in the world. To suggest we should sign Hojlund, Caicedo, Onana, Timber and Rabiot in one window (and Orban) is not totally unrealistic. I deliberately did not suggest Kane / Osimhen because they are unlikely. Last Summer we bought Martinez, Casemiro, Antony, Malacia and Eriksen on a free. The question from the previous poster was would we take this as a transfer window, and I answered with my best expectations for a realistic window.

The list of sales was a list of players that should be sold. I am not expecting them all to go in one window, but I believe this is the list of players that are surplus to requirements, that will get very limited playing time, and should be sold. The only ones from that list that may still be here in 2 years' time are Pellistri and Amad, and personally I would prefer we cash in now when we might recoup cash, rather than wait until their contract runs down and they leave for free. We need to be more ruthless, and let these players know that they are not seen as future first teamers, and if they want a proper career they should move elsewhere.

Woziak

I'm assuming this post may have been aimed at me, as have a few of your derisory posts in the past. I'm not sure what your issue is, but we are the biggest club in the country, and probably the second biggest in the world. To suggest we should sign Hojlund, Caicedo, Onana, Timber and Rabiot in one window (and Orban) is not totally unrealistic. I deliberately did not suggest Kane / Osimhen because they are unlikely. Last Summer we bought Martinez, Casemiro, Antony, Malacia and Eriksen on a free. The question from the previous poster was would we take this as a transfer window, and I answered with my best expectations for a realistic window.

The list of sales was a list of players that should be sold. I am not expecting them all to go in one window, but I believe this is the list of players that are surplus to requirements, that will get very limited playing time, and should be sold. The only ones from that list that may still be here in 2 years' time are Pellistri and Amad, and personally I would prefer we cash in now when we might recoup cash, rather than wait until their contract runs down and they leave for free. We need to be more ruthless, and let these players know that they are not seen as future first teamers, and if they want a proper career they should move elsewhere.
It’s not unrealistic it’s more a case of a Rabiot will resign for Juventus, Timber will go to Arsenal and Caciedo will probably go to Chelsea just like KMJ probably going to Bayern, if we had an efficient DOF and others who lead transfers, then the sky should be the limit but these morons just don’t get you the players you want unless they are begging to come to us

wolvored

I cant see us going for Timber as we wont play two short CD in the team. In fact why are we after a CD this season anyway. Even if we sell Maguire, we still have Verane Martinez Lindelof and Shaw. All have shown they are more than capable as long as they are not paired with Maguire.

wolvored

I'm assuming this post may have been aimed at me, as have a few of your derisory posts in the past. I'm not sure what your issue is, but we are the biggest club in the country, and probably the second biggest in the world.
On worldwide support we might even be first, but we are nowhere near that on worldwide players in their prime wanting a new club. We aint even that in England now sadly.

Lux Thunder

Interesting watch

Watched it right now and all I can say is that this is one of the worst videos from the sensible transfers series ever made by TIFO, too many things I disagree with.

The transfer window in which we are very likely losing our no.1, who is also well below the standards we are aiming for, without suggestion of replacing him is simply not sensible.

Also, you don't need some deep knowledge of football to suggest going and splashing the cash on Osimhen or Kane and I will never understand that age thing like players from 27-31 are too old.

At a club as big as United, you need both short-term and long-term strategies when you are dealing with transfers and if we want to win something with this group of players (Varane, Shaw, Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro) we can't plan just long term as you risk that your spine will no longer be at this level once young talents start to peak.

Little or no real insight into where we should build from regarding our last season's appearances and no suggestions of a few alternatives who are stylistically suited for the position in need.

Bit disappointed with what I previously found as an excellent channel for football content.

croadyman

Watched it right now and all I can say is that this is one of the worst videos from the sensible transfers series ever made by TIFO, too many things I disagree with.

The transfer window in which we are very likely losing our no.1, who is also well below the standards we are aiming for, without suggestion of replacing him is simply not sensible.

Also, you don't need some deep knowledge of football to suggest going and splashing the cash on Osimhen or Kane and I will never understand that age thing like players from 27-31 are too old.

At a club as big as United, you need both short-term and long-term strategies when you are dealing with transfers and if we want to win something with this group of players (Varane, Shaw, Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro) we can't plan just long term as you risk that your spine will no longer be at this level once young talents start to peak.

Little or no real insight into where we should build from regarding our last season's appearances and no suggestions of a few alternatives who are stylistically suited for the position in need.

Bit disappointed with what I previously found as an excellent channel for football content.
Yeah not having strategies that involve both short and long term planning is negligent

jesperjaap

I really liek Ramsey, should really be around the ENgland squad, personally rate him far higher than Gallagher for example.

In terms of signing him for us though, Villa are ambitous at the moment, he would cost a lot of money I feel, so its a non starter really, very promising player though

jesperjaap

Wouldn be happy with three signings not matter who they were, simply nowhere near enough. DOnt really know Hoijlund to comment, Caicedo would be a very good signing, Onana I cant understand the love for him on here, I think he is a very average keeper that is great but risky with his feet.....and if we only sign three that would mean us keeping several that should be out the door too as the ownership wont be settled by late August I feel

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I'd be delighted ending the window with Onana, Hojlund and any of the midfielders we've been (seriously) linked with (mount or caicedo would both have me very happy, different players but there are different ways to make us successful, and both a great age to be key players long term). Let alone going into the last part of the window with more to target. Getting those 3 in before pre season is the ideal scenario as even if nothing else happens, it's addressed our issues. Just didn't have the chance to build further.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Think some people don’t fully appreciate right now the level we are actually at. We overachieved last season by most metrics and the only positive I have right now is that ETH will have a bit more time with the squad now to improve them. Otherwise there’s nothing really to be massively positive about. 1,2 and 4 have made good signings already. Liverpool have made a good signing and I genuinely believe that they will come back hard this season. Chelsea will also be under a good manager. Best I can see for us is another battle for top 4 with a Rounf of 16 CL exit. We knew for ages that we didn’t have a lot of money so why do people running the club not prepare in advance at all. Joke of a way we are run

Erik the Red

Ideally we need 8 new signings, two in each area of the pitch:
  • Two new goalkeepers as it seems like all our keepers are leaving bar Heaton. (Onana + Kovar promoted)
  • A new right back and a right sided centre back to cover for Varane. (Timber for both roles for a season)
  • A first choice number 8 and cover for Casemiro. (Mount and Caicedo)
  • Two new strikers as we don't have any fit number 9s (MG could be like a new signing if he stays, but unlikely to be match fit for August, otherwise Hojlund and Orban).
8 signings is obviously not going to happen in one window, but I am concerned that these are the places where cracks could appear as the season wares on and we are forced to dip into our squad depth.

Once these vacancies are filled, we are just replacing players being phased out, either due to age (Eriksen and Casemiro) or to upgrade where opportunities arise. Its horrible to admit, but City are at this stage, where they don't have any gaping holes, and are just upgrading...

Lux Thunder

Anyone reading the Athletic top 50 prospects under 25?

Enzo Le Fee, Kepheme Thuram, Nico Williams etc?
Of those three mentioned one that I rate the most is Enzo Le Fee. I was certain that he will join Dortmund once Bellingham moved to Madrid, but now there are strong suggestions that he will stay in France and join Rennais instead.

I took it as a surprise that there are no links of him with top clubs this summer as I see a big potential in him.

With him in his last year of contract with Lorient, I would take a risk and have him here as a talented young cover to share minutes with our first team options and the potential to grow into a starter if he develops properly.

aeh1991

Enzo Le Fee I would take in an heart beat. Much cheaper than Mount and more well-rounded (has the potential to play a bit deeper than his normal position which is CAM or an attacking no.8). Another one would be Caqueret, who is even more suited to the DLP position.

croadyman

Essential this summer

Hojlund
Onana
Caicedo

Ideal to get too

Backup DM
Backup ST
Backup CB

Woziak

Closure from the mental abuse and torment we’ve all suffered at the hand of the Glazers. We just need them to Go

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Of those three mentioned one that I rate the most is Enzo Le Fee. I was certain that he will join Dortmund once Bellingham moved to Madrid, but now there are strong suggestions that he will stay in France and join Rennais instead.

I took it as a surprise that there are no links of him with top clubs this summer as I see a big potential in him.

With him in his last year of contract with Lorient, I would take a risk and have him here as a talented young cover to share minutes with our first team options and the potential to grow into a starter if he develops properly.
I know we need big pieces and transfers of established players but I would also expect us to grab the best young talent around, especially those available for cheap such as Enzo.

Always need to get prospects in.

Lux Thunder

I know we need big pieces and transfers of established players but I would also expect us to grab the best young talent around, especially those available for cheap such as Enzo.

Always need to get prospects in.
Yeah, my hope before summer for our midfield was signing Kovačić as an established classy player and Enzo as a young prospect - they both enter the window having just one year on their contracts.