What do we still need? Post Summer 2015 edition.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Wayne being injured highlights our need for another strike. Louis is to blame for this with his lack of man management. Even if we had another strike (we have an exciting talent or two for the future and an established provider, we could use an Ole type of figure), I'm not sure that Louis would be able to keep that player in the loop like SAF did.

Raw

If Rooney continues to be crap then I'd want a new top class striker, but I doubt LVG will ever drop Rooney even if he does play badly. We could do with another attacking player, possibly someone who can play on the right?

Midfield looks good, maybe bring in a reinforcement as Carrick and Schweinsteiger will be a year older.

As for defence, if they continue this form all season then we're sorted. Could do with buying one for depth but that's about it.

We should mainly be focused on bringing in a top attacking player and improving our depth, the squad is tiny. Van Gaal seems to prefer having tiny squads so we might not see it.

rotherham_red

Left footed winger (though maybe not necessarily a world class one if Januzaj comes back from his loan spell as hoped);
A CB (depending on how the Blind experiment goes);
A goalkeeper if De Gea goes; &
A striker (not necessarily someone world class, but someone who can keep Rooney, Martial and Wilson honest)

EDIT - A midfielder to ultimately replace Carrick's place (in terms of numbers) in the long-term. My bet? Gundogan.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Right winger is for me the most important.

Prime striker unless Martial just keeps scoring(:D), hard to see who it could possibly be.

Not sure about our #10 situation, LvG seems to find it hard who to play there.

Gundogan would be a coup, Carrick and Schweini is brilliant players, but they are not exactly young, Gundogan has many years in front of him.

Jury is still out on Blind, if he continues like this then we are fine though.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If Rooney continues to be crap then I'd want a new top class striker, but I doubt LVG will ever drop Rooney even if he does play badly. We could do with another attacking player, possibly someone who can play on the right?

Midfield looks good, maybe bring in a reinforcement as Carrick and Schweinsteiger will be a year older.

As for defence, if they continue this form all season then we're sorted. Could do with buying one for depth but that's about it.

We should mainly be focused on bringing w in a top attacking player and improving our depth, the squad is tiny. Van Gaal seems to prefer having tiny squads so we might not see it.
New striker would limit Martial's chances and this would not be ideal. Maybe bring someone who isn't top class and use him as back up but brining expensive striker would be pointless now.

Fully agree that we need more depth in our offensive line up. It's shocking how we can go into season with so few options.

NoPace

We finally have so few major holes that we can justify spending our entire budget on Bale, Griezmann or Reus out right. That's clearly our first priority. If there is a next Neymar or whatever young player who can produce out wide, we need to get him.

If De Gea leaves, that becomes priority #1.

We have a good squad. We need world class players to add to Shaw, Schweinsteiger, Smalling (!) and De Gea. Darmian is very solid and Memphis and Martial look promising and need to be given playing time even if they aren't ready yet.

LCB is its own question. That was clearly one of the 2 major gaps, along with RW, looking at the squad a month ago. But Blind has been very good. We'll know better in January and then in May how this experiment has worked out. Even then, he will get time at LB and DM too when Shaw or CMs are out. So I would probably sell one of Jones or Rojo and bring in an expensive CB, preferably on the younger side. Might only cost 15-20 or so in net.

CM (Carrick is still 34 and who knows how long Schweinsteiger will be health) will need to be addressed but probably not until the summer of 2017, at which you'd expect Carrick to be leaving and Schweinsteiger maybe less able to play every week and another playing being needed to join Herrera and Schneiderlin, neither of whom can really control games from deep with their passing. I could also see buying a young CM/DM in 2016 then loaning him back to his team for another year of development.

So:
2016 Summer - (1)Star at RW, (2) upgrade one of Jones/Rojo and if need be replace De Gea if he leaves with the best possible keeper.

2017 Summer - (1) CM (2) Have both Martial or Memphis become great yet? If not, another star.

Raw

New striker would limit Martial's chances and this would not be ideal. Maybe bring someone who isn't top class and use him as back up but brining expensive striker would be pointless now.

Fully agree that we need more depth in our offensive line up. It's shocking how we can go into season with so few options.
Yeah it's highly dependant on what happens this season, if Martial chips in with a bunch of goals then I'd be happy to give him a chance. If so, I do agree that a back up striker will do as having to resort to Fellaini up front is pretty ridiculous.

There's also the young players like Pereira, Januzaj, McNair and Wilson. If they have good seasons we may not even need to buy as much depth as expected. Biggest priority has to be a top attacking player though.

Kag

I still find it baffling that there is such a large amount of people pining for three quality strikers.

If one of them is versatile and can play across the front then great. I'm referring to a Muller or Bale type here. But three out and out strikers just can't be kept happy.

Provided Rooney and Martial are good enough (which is the real issue here) then we're in a good position even now. All top teams have two strikers and we're no different. The likes of Benzema and Lewandowski don't even have 19 year old wonderkids breathing down their necks as it is, yet their club's get by.

We need a wide forward desperately, ideally Bale (or an inferior other) down the right flank.

Another centre half will be required, too. Keeping a good eye on the likes of Stones and Laporte is something the club will definitlely be doing.

Two players aside, we've a good squad in pretty good nick.

Sigma

Right forward/winger. If we can get a world class striker in I wouldn't be against it but I don't think its a necessity.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I agree that if Martial show very promising signs, then it is better for us to just buy some competition and not a World class striker.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We definitely need another attacker. Unfortunately, Rooney is undroppable so we aren't going to be able to bring in a pure striker of the required ability who is going to be happy being on the bench most games. What we need is someone like Griezmann who is equally comfortable playing out wide/as #10 as they are up top, therefore they'll still get game time in behind when Rooney is fit and can provide cover when he isn't.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I'd wait to see how the season pans out to find out the definate weaknesses in our squad. Van Gaal likes smaller squads and we have enough numbers to cover every position by at least 3, the question is wether we have enough quality- that is up to the players. The 'obvious holes in the squad' will be filled by McNair, Pereira and Lingard. If they take their chance well we might not need to strengthen in certain positions.

If you look at our XI the positions we could on paper do with an upgrade on now are LCB, RW and ST. Let's see what Rooney/Martial/Fellaini, Mata/Lingard/Young and Blind/Rojo can do in van Gaal's 2nd season and if they can put off signings for another season with brilliant performances.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah it's highly dependant on what happens this season, if Martial chips in with a bunch of goals then I'd be happy to give him a chance. If so, I do agree that a back up striker will do as having to resort to Fellaini up front is pretty ridiculous.

There's also the young players like Pereira, Januzaj, McNair and Wilson. If they have good seasons we may not even need to buy as much depth as expected. Biggest priority has to be a top attacking player though.[/QUOTE

Having two forwards is ridiculous really and Fellaini doesn't count as a forward for me, he will shackle us significantly if we play him there because he is not suit for the sort of offensive football we should be showing in the final third. If anything Mata would work better up front due to exceptional finishing. Wilson isn't ready yet so I'd hope we will add a forward, just not one that will require to play regulary - or even better if we could add someone versatile enough to fit in elsewhere (I think Martial can play out wide).

I hope Januzaj comes back from loan a better player and maybe Pereira will be given a chance and take it. If that happens we might not be ridiculously short of numbers. I still think we need another wide player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wayne being injured highlights our need for another strike. Louis is to blame for this with his lack of man management. Even if we had another strike (we have an exciting talent or two for the future and an established provider, we could use an Ole type of figure), I'm not sure that Louis would be able to keep that player in the loop like SAF did.
We need to start playing well with the current group of players, at which point we can reassess what we actually need.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Depends on what formation we employ going forward to be honest. At the end of last season, most of us were rather convinced that we would see more of a 4-3-3 look under Van Gaal, and here we are now, playing an iteration of 4-2-3-1.

With the latter formation in mind, we need :

A right winger - This is an absolute must for the club. Mata is fine and all, but he's just not a winger who can challenge his marker on a consistent basis. We need someone who can inject some much needed incision, dynamism, and pace to the attack. Bale would make a lot of sense but Perez is infatuated with him. Reus is the next best option, and has some experience with playing on the right hand side, but he's right footed and Van Gaal has a fetish for having left footers on the right flank. Those are two standout options, apart from maybe Felipe Anderson and the likes.

A proper #10/ support striker - Yes, Ander played there for Club Athletic, but his best position is still as the attacking box to box in a 3 man midfield. Rooney might be a good option, but he can be really inconsistent, and we do need someone who has the touch and creativity to be the brain of our attack, a bit like Blind for the defense, and Carrick/ Schweinsteiger for midfield. Van Gaal had Litmanen at Ajax, and Muller at Bayern, and we honestly don't have that caliber of #10 at the club right now. Someone like an Isco would be brilliant, his work-rate improved a lot under Ancelotti and he can be our equivalent of Silva. Ditto Griezmann, who has really blossomed at Atletico albeit more as a support striker. Even Mario Gotze would be worth a punt, all the talent didn't just desert him. That said, Isco and Gotze might be more difficult to extract from their clubs than a Griezmann who has a set buyout clause.

Centerback - Blind, to his credit has done really well alongside Smalling but the sample size is infinitesimal, so we can't really gauge the long term viability. Again, the options will vary depending on Van Gaal's level of insistence on having a left footed defender man the LCB position. Which might rule out Daniele Rugani, and John Stones, both excellent choices, the former probably being the best central defensive prospect Italy has produced in a long time, maybe even better than Chiellini on talent alone. Which leaves Laporte, who has been slightly inconsistent for a few months now, but is still a world class defender in the offing.

Apart from those three positions, the squad looks quite decent. The key to the team's performances will be fielding player at positions that complement their playing style, instead of rejigging the line-up every week to cover up for deficiencies. Then, they will start gelling, and get some chemistry going; it's really easy to forget that most of the players under Fergie and Moyes are now gone, we have a lot of fresh blood playing in Van Gaal's system for the first time, and it takes time to build a team from individual pieces. Might need better quality in terms of depth though.

Raptori

Special needs
We finally have so few major holes that we can justify spending our entire budget on Bale, Griezmann or Reus out right. That's clearly our first priority. If there is a next Neymar or whatever young player who can produce out wide, we need to get him.

If De Gea leaves, that becomes priority #1.

We have a good squad. We need world class players to add to Shaw, Schweinsteiger, Smalling (!) and De Gea. Darmian is very solid and Memphis and Martial look promising and need to be given playing time even if they aren't ready yet.

LCB is its own question. That was clearly one of the 2 major gaps, along with RW, looking at the squad a month ago. But Blind has been very good. We'll know better in January and then in May how this experiment has worked out. Even then, he will get time at LB and DM too when Shaw or CMs are out. So I would probably sell one of Jones or Rojo and bring in an expensive CB, preferably on the younger side. Might only cost 15-20 or so in net.

CM (Carrick is still 34 and who knows how long Schweinsteiger will be health) will need to be addressed but probably not until the summer of 2017, at which you'd expect Carrick to be leaving and Schweinsteiger maybe less able to play every week and another playing being needed to join Herrera and Schneiderlin, neither of whom can really control games from deep with their passing. I could also see buying a young CM/DM in 2016 then loaning him back to his team for another year of development.

So:
2016 Summer - (1)Star at RW, (2) upgrade one of Jones/Rojo and if need be replace De Gea if he leaves with the best possible keeper.

2017 Summer - (1) CM (2) Have both Martial or Memphis become great yet? If not, another star.
I agree with this. Personally I'd go for Griezmann as the star next summer - quality player, young, good on the right and up front. Plus his buyout isn't completely unreasonable!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think we'll likely end up getting Muller at some point.

We offered Bayern a huge amount according to Rummenigge. I just don't think we'd be making bids if we didn't have the attention of the player and his agent already.

kidbob

In terms of the future if perreira janujaz martial and depay fulfill their potential we will have a pretty great young attacking unit. We should be all over players like bale or reus if they become available.

We need a top centre back to partner smalling but someone young like stones we be worth the risk. Blind can cover midfield and defence and hold on to Jones. A backup full back would be nice.

I believe that herrera and Morgan can be a great partnership if given the chance but if a player like gundogan is gettable we should be all over it.

I feel like we are where we were in 05 where if certain players fulfill their potential we will be in a very strong position.

Bojan11

Striker, winger and CB.

I expect less crazy summers like the previous two with so many in goings and outgoings.

I think we'd keep the same squad and add three players. Which Fergie pretty much did.

Oo0AahCantona

Top class right winger, Reus is the one, 60/70m whatever it takes and a centre back. then its just a question of getting the best out of what we currently have.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I think we'll likely end up getting Muller at some point.

We offered Bayern a huge amount according to Rummenigge. I just don't think we'd be making bids if we didn't have the attention of the player and his agent already.
As already stated: we don't give a feck what players want (And I doubt he wants it, never even gave a hint) if it's not in our interest. Ask Ballack and Ribery. So, not before 2019.
Think it's just Woodward being stupid.

Edit: oh, you won't like that: Kicker is reporting contract talks are due this year, including increased salary.

Last edited:

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Depends on what formation we employ going forward to be honest. At the end of last season, most of us were rather convinced that we would see more of a 4-3-3 look under Van Gaal, and here we are now, playing an iteration of 4-2-3-1.

With the latter formation in mind, we need :

A right winger - This is an absolute must for the club. Mata is fine and all, but he's just not a winger who can challenge his marker on a consistent basis. We need someone who can inject some much needed incision, dynamism, and pace to the attack. Bale would make a lot of sense but Perez is infatuated with him. Reus is the next best option, and has some experience with playing on the right hand side, but he's right footed and Van Gaal has a fetish for having left footers on the right flank. Those are two standout options, apart from maybe Felipe Anderson and the likes.

A proper #10/ support striker - Yes, Ander played there for Club Athletic, but his best position is still as the attacking box to box in a 3 man midfield. Rooney might be a good option, but he can be really inconsistent, and we do need someone who has the touch and creativity to be the brain of our attack, a bit like Blind for the defense, and Carrick/ Schweinsteiger for midfield. Van Gaal had Litmanen at Ajax, and Muller at Bayern, and we honestly don't have that caliber of #10 at the club right now. Someone like an Isco would be brilliant, his work-rate improved a lot under Ancelotti and he can be our equivalent of Silva. Ditto Griezmann, who has really blossomed at Atletico albeit more as a support striker. Even Mario Gotze would be worth a punt, all the talent didn't just desert him. That said, Isco and Gotze might be more difficult to extract from their clubs than a Griezmann who has a set buyout clause.

Centerback - Blind, to his credit has done really well alongside Smalling but the sample size is infinitesimal, so we can't really gauge the long term viability. Again, the options will vary depending on Van Gaal's level of insistence on having a left footed defender man the LCB position. Which might rule out Daniele Rugani, and John Stones, both excellent choices, the former probably being the best central defensive prospect Italy has produced in a long time, maybe even better than Chiellini on talent alone. Which leaves Laporte, who has been slightly inconsistent for a few months now, but is still a world class defender in the offing.

Apart from those three positions, the squad looks quite decent. The key to the team's performances will be fielding player at positions that complement their playing style, instead of rejigging the line-up every week to cover up for deficiencies. Then, they will start gelling, and get some chemistry going; it's really easy to forget that most of the players under Fergie and Moyes are now gone, we have a lot of fresh blood playing in Van Gaal's system for the first time, and it takes time to build a team from individual pieces. Might need better quality in terms of depth though.
If Götze doesn't click this season, he's up for sale.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Striker, RW, and specialist rb cover and we look very solid
Perhaps wilson, Janauzj and mcnair can provide those next season but they will need good loans / to get some games for us this season.
I suspect less activity next summer as it may be LVG's last with funds saved for a more extensive overhaul (with a new manager) the summer after

Jerch

We really should wait and see how Martial, Wilson, Depay, Januzaj and Pereira do.

Edit: also McNair. We basically have young promising players in the positions we are weak.

Crashoutcassius

I'd sign a specialist to play #10, time to face music and see that herrera isn't going to play there often enough under van gaal.

So if he wants to sign muller or someone...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
New right winger, new striker are the only pressing concerns. We'll have time to assess whether Blind can be our longterm defensive solution and whether Smalling's fitness is a false dawn.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I imagine the signing of Martial is succession planning for Rooney. We need one more 'multi-functional' attacking player with pace.

Martial will lead the line from next season hopefully. Wilson will perhaps be there or thereabouts but we can do with another Hernandez to provide cover.

podurban2

Adnan back, as well as a record bid for Reus and Stones. :drool:

Martial
Memphis-Januzaj-Reus
Schmidfield
Shaw-Stones-Smalling-Darmian
De Gea

Bwuk

Depends how much Memphis & Martial kick on.

A superstar for the forward line most likely.

wiz4231

Strootman, Kroos, Reus, Bale and Muller.....

De Gea

Darmian....Smalling....Rojo....Blind

Kroos
Herrera.........Strootman

Bale........................................Reus
Muller
.....+ Stones (Jones going other way?), Rekik and a young RB. Thats all..

Last edited: