What do we still need? Post Summer 2015 edition.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Think Pogba will be the last "I want the squad closed by August 14th with one more midfielder"
Given how good Bailly looked today and how good Valencia has looked pre-season, that will probably be OK. Think if we managed to offload someone we might go for Fabinho but that's looking difficult at the moment.

Devil may care

One more pacey attacker and a holding CM playmaker short IMO, but it's been a great window, arguably our best ever.

bucky

One more pacey attacker and a holding CM playmaker short IMO, but it's been a great window, arguably our best ever.
Who though? Feels like this will have to wait for a year or I don't see the players who would really improve us available. Somehow I've warmed to the idea of Felipe Anderson again, mostly because statistically his season wasn't as bad as it looked and he may need a new challenge, since Lazio had a nightmare of a season last year. Mostly it's positive thinking and a lack of options though. He could be cheaper than before and with Mourinho there might be a better chance of Brazilians succeeding for us. Fekir and Cornet might have a good season. There are obviously the young players at Dortmund to keep an eye on, with Weigl possibly the best player in terms of controlling the game, who might be available in the future. Lass Diarra could be a stop gap, but I don't think we need one. With the window we've had, I still feel like a centre-back is a bigger priority than anything else. I really hope Tuanzebe makes my concerns unnecessary in the future. Overall I'm quite happy with our attacking options with Rooney being the exception.

Devil may care

Who though? Feels like this will have to wait for a year or I don't see the players who would really improve us available. Somehow I've warmed to the idea of Felipe Anderson again, mostly because statistically his season wasn't as bad as it looked and he may need a new challenge, since Lazio had a nightmare of a season last year. Mostly it's positive thinking and a lack of options though. He could be cheaper than before and with Mourinho there might be a better chance of Brazilians succeeding for us. Fekir and Cornet might have a good season. There are obviously the young players at Dortmund to keep an eye on, with Weigl possibly the best player in terms of controlling the game, who might be available in the future. Lass Diarra could be a stop gap, but I don't think we need one. With the window we've had, I still feel like a centre-back is a bigger priority than anything else. I really hope Tuanzebe makes my concerns unnecessary in the future. Overall I'm quite happy with our attacking options with Rooney being the exception.
I agree it can't be done this summer unless we went with the Lassana Diarra stopgap option, and for the forward I think Jose has to wait before passing his judgment on Memphis and deals with the Rooney mess. I expect this will be Carrick's last season and Weigl would be the ideal replacement next summer but the lack of another proper holding CM to partner Pogba could be our Achilles heel this season. For the attacker I hope we monitor players like Correa, Fekir and Ounas as possible attacking additions. I'd like another CB as well as I have zero faith in Rojo or Jones, so a CB around the 30 mark would be great to give Tuanzebe a couple of seasons to develop, but like you I do think he can be an answer for us.

bucky

I agree it can't be done this summer unless we went with the Lassana Diarra stopgap option, and for the forward I think Jose has to wait before passing his judgment on Memphis and deals with the Rooney mess. I expect this will be Carrick's last season and Weigl would be the ideal replacement next summer but the lack of another proper holding CM to partner Pogba could be our Achilles heel this season. For the attacker I hope we monitor players like Correa, Fekir and Ounas as possible attacking additions. I'd like another CB as well as I have zero faith in Rojo or Jones, so a CB around the 30 mark would be great to give Tuanzebe a couple of seasons to develop, but like you I do think he can be an answer for us.
Well, I'm still holding out hope that Schneiderlin is going to improve, not necessarily as a holding midfielder just the more defensive minded one. I'm not even sure if Weigl is the sort of midfielder Mourinho would go for, if for example he thinks Saul is the more interesting option next to Pogba.

Sadly I don't think there's that sort of good enough CB available, who's going to help.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For right now, I actually really like the look of our potential team. Squad can be improved upon of course, but the main thing I would look at is replacing Carrick with a player just like him just 10 years younger. Not sure who there is for that though. Problem is unless Schneiderlin improves then we dont really have that type so Carrick is vital again.

After that, its fine for this season. We just need to bench rooney and pick Mata/rashford/lingard/mkhitaryan/herrera instead of him depending on formation. Valencia at right back is as good as we can get really at the moment. Smalling and Bailly I think can form a class partnership. Shaw is class at left back, then we have darmian, jones, rojo, tfm and blind as back up there which is very good I think. Up front, martial, ibra, mkhi, with young, memphis, rashford and lingard as subs is good too. Midfield is the main thing. Pogba the main #8, herrera and fellaini that back up is fine. Rooney, mata as the 10s can be better but Mata can be class, just needs to be used. For the 6 its Carrick and Schneiderlin which is lacking in starting 11 considering carricks age.

For next season or the one after, carrick, ibra, rooney, valencia all need to be replaced. So a right back, holding mid, #10 and striker is what we need in the next year or 2. A few promising youngsters can develop there and fill the spots but likely we'll need to buy a few of those.

Devil may care

Well, I'm still holding out hope that Schneiderlin is going to improve, not necessarily as a holding midfielder just the more defensive minded one. I'm not even sure if Weigl is the sort of midfielder Mourinho would go for, if for example he thinks Saul is the more interesting option next to Pogba.

Sadly I don't think there's that sort of good enough CB available, who's going to help.
I rate Saul but I think he's more of a #8 than a #6, he needs the license to get forward and support the attack, same as Pogba. I think to get the best from Pogba, especially if we stick with 4-2-3-1, then he needs a proper holding CM top partner him.

Yea, Fonte, Garay and Williams are the only 3 I can think of and I don't know if they'd be considered.

Robertd0803

Still a worry over Smallings ability to organise the defence and who knows if Bailly can?

peridigm

Still a worry over Smallings ability to organise the defence and who knows if Bailly can?
I happy with our MF and attack for now. I think Schneiderlin can improve under Jose. Plans seem to be taking shape to phase Rooney out with Pogba signing. Jose has already said he does not see Rooney as a midfielder.
Will Jose play Pogba/Carrick behind Rooney or will we see Carrick, Schneiderlin, or Blind playing behind Pogba/Herrera or Pogba/Mata or even Pogba/Micki? Can't see where Rooney fits in. He's declining.

We need a solid CB pair again like we had with Rio and Vidic. I don't think Smalling is going to be one of them for the long term but I could be wrong. We haven't seen much of him under Jose. I worry about Smalling's positioning, shirt tugging, and stupid decisions. I know all players tug shirts but Smalling seems to always be caught out for it. Jones will be sold by next season. Blind will be a utility defender.

Next summer priorities have to be a CB, RB, and possibly another DM.

Fer

It seems that our first XI would be:
De Gea
Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
Carrick - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Rooney - Martial
Ibrahimovic
So, the question is... how can we improve that?
Maybe a better RB or an experienced CB. However, we should try this season this defense. Carrick is 35 and Schweisnteiger is not needed... So it's time fro Schneiderlin to improve his game. The main concern is Rooney, I think Mkhitaryan should play as No.10 and we should sign a skillfull winger to play in the right.

This season is the opportunity to players like Darmian, Blind (as CDM), Rojo, Jones, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Fellaini, Valencia, Lingard, Young, Memphis, Mata and Rooney to show Mourinho if they can be important players for the club or not. Next season we will need a Carrick replacement and maybe someone to replace Rooney/Zlatan.