What do we still need? Post Summer 2016 edition

Devil may care

The window is shut once more so I thought we might as well have a new version of this thread as a squad always keeps building.

We are coming off the best transfer window in the clubs history IMO and I don't see us doing anything in January, expect maybe selling a couple of players who realize by then they are barely going to feature. I also think this will be the last window where we bring in several players, now we can go back to just getting a couple in and maybe a prospect.

The defense is looking very good and we have CBJ to come back in as well as TFM with a chance to develop as Valencia's understudy. With no extra CB this summer Jones and Rojo will have their chance to stake a claim to that 4th CB spot.

Midfield is still pretty open, I expect this to be Carrick's last season and Schneiderlin has yet to look like he's cut out to be a United player. Regardless I think the main buy next is a top class partner for Pogba, a #6 that can not only protect the back 4 but control the game, this will be particularly important for the CL.

Our attacking options are looking really good so I don't foresee a big marquee buy here, but I think we could do with another fast wide man who plays on the right, as I expect Micki to become our #10.

InfiniteBoredom

A better right back, a speedy winger or two, assuming we are happy with Rashford and Martial as our future options at CF.

surf

Next summer, 3 starters to take over from our over-30's: a striker of some kind to replace Rooney/Ibra, a midfielder to replace Carrick and partner Pogba, and a right back to compete with Valencia. Hopefully Mensah will be part of the solution either in midfield or right back. Possibly another Martial type young forward prospect (other than Rashford) as the long term futures of Memphis, Mata, Young and Lingard are uncertain at best.

the hea

Only position that I think we need a player right now is RW, Miki is best in a more central role and I would love for us to get a really pacey right winger who can go past his man. Other than that we should only look to replace the over 30's players in the coming years, Carrick, Rooney, Valencia and Zlatan.

Jonno

Watching Mourinho assemble his squad this summer has been a dream come true. I hope he follows in the same fashion next summer.

The following positions will need an upgrade for the squad to be pretty much complete

RB
DM
No10
RW

People expecting Miki to be our number 10 just like that.... They said the same about Kagawa after a couple of games too, I Wont be making that assumption just yet but he does look good

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Kind of surprised that we made only four additions this window. Expected a couple more in and few more out. Seems like Jose didn't want to make too many changes too soon. Makes sense.

If Jones remains a crock, I expect us to buy another central defender next term.
A pacey right winger or a number 10 depending on how Mkhi works out this season.
A Right back if Darmian doesn't improve.
A central midfield play maker.

Last edited:

CM

A couple of midfielders and replacements for any of the players who continue to underperform from last season.

jungledrums

Watching Mourinho assemble his squad this summer has been a dream come true. I hope he follows in the same fashion next summer.

The following positions will need an upgrade for the squad to be pretty much complete

RB
DM
No10
RW

People expecting Miki to be our number 10 just like that.... They said the same about Kagawa after a couple of games too, I Wont be making that assumption just yet but he does look good
Right... So sign another number 10, then? And let me guess, when you sign that new number 10, you'll want a new one, because you can't expect him to be our number 10 "just like that"? We don't need a new right winger and a new number 10.

MartialsBeard

Well I cant complain,

I think the squad is in a fantastic position now after a brilliant summer of signing not just numbers but world class fantastic players.

(Listed as options and players that can perform the role)

Goalkeepers: Johnstone, Romero, De Gea.

Defence: Fosu-Mensah, Darmian, Valencia, Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Tuanzebe

Midfield: Fosu-Mensah, Carrick, Schniederlin, Schwienstieger, Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera

Attacking Mid: Mhikitaryan, Mata, Rooney

Wingers: Martial, Mata, Mhikitaryan, Lingard, Rashford, Memphis

Strikers: Martial, Rooney, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Memphis

In amongst that lot we look insanely strong to compete on all fronts, now the only place I would say we need to strengthen is simply adding a player of an extremely high quality to compliment Martial on the other side and partner Pogba in the middle, having said that I think the options we have in those positions can do a great job to a high standard this season.

The players I think we could get to take us to the next level would be:

Antione Griezzmann
for either the right side or to compliment the attack adds pace and clinical finishing.
Saul Niguez- To partner Pogba in the middle but also add attacking flair in the middle can also play on the right.
Rapheal Verane- A combatative and powerful partner for Bailly or Smalling.

All three should be the next targets and there is no realistic reason why we could not get the first two (both have buyouts).

Devil may care

If 4-2-3-1:

RB, Weigl, RW.

If 4-3-3:

RB, Weigl, Box-To-Box CM.
Not sure about the RB as there aren't many good options, Valencia is playing well and keeps himself in great shape, and we don't know if Jose will continue to develop TFM as a RB.

I agree on Weigl, he should be our priority next summer. I also think you are right regarding the other buy depending on the formation, and right now it seems it will remain as 4-2-3-1 and we'll probably only use 4-3-3 now and then so we'd have the options already here for a squad box to box role rather than a starter. Not sure who for the RW though to be honest but we need an extra wide player.

Sparky10Legend

I strongly think Lukaku has been told to hold his horses at Everton till next Summer.

So Ibra out unless he shows he can do yet another season at this crazy level - and Lukaku in.
Centre Half - Dont know who.
Partner for Pogba - An Athletic ball winner (the game is all about athleticism these days , Pirlo couldn't do his thang in the PL imo)
AG for Cam/SS.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For this window its perfect. More would have been overkill and too much change I think. Not need to get rid of players and replace them with higher quality/more reliable/better ages.

Outgoings

By the start of 2017/18: Jones, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Young, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Mata

Overall squad for start of next season I think:

Gk: De gea; romero
Back 4: *****, Bailly, *****, Shaw; Valencia, Smalling, Fosu Mensah, Blind, CBJ
Midfield: Pogba, ***** ; Fellaini, herrera, pereira
Wings/attacking mid: Mkhitaryan, *****, Martial; Lingard, Rooney, Memphis, Januzaj
Striker: Ibrahimovic; Rashford

Incomings
Starting right back - Been linked with Fabinho a lot
Starting center Back - Mourinho always liked Varane. Zidane might be gone next summer as Madrid coaches never last. (Though if Smalling + Bailly partnership works out, we might not need one)
Holding Midfielder - Pogba partner, someone like Matic I would guess though not him obviously. Not sure who.
#10 - Griezmann the dream choice, feel like he'll want to take the next step

De Gea
Fabinho Bailly Varane Shaw
Midfield Pogba
Mkhitaryan Griezmann Martial
Ibrahimovic
With Rashford taking over from Ibra at the end of the season in an ideal world.

Last edited:

Devil may care

As to the question: What do we still need?

Time and patience.
agree mate
This really isn't a factor though, no matter how the team does this season we will strengthen and have obvious room to do so, even the mighty Bayern added 2 this summer and their squad is phenomenal. Real Madrid were the only one to be so overstuffed with quality that they didn't have a reason to buy.

PieCrust

Agree, very good transfer window. Jose got better in all the area's I felt we really needed help, CB, CM, ST, RW/AMC (wherever Mhkitaryan ends up playing).

RB is the next priority I think. Although to be fair, Valencia has been excellent thus far. CB depends on where he sees Blind. Is he going at CB? Is he going to partner Pogba in midfield? Does he end up a rotational squad member? Blind has been killing it at CB for over a year now, which really makes it less of priority with Bailly also crushing it out of the gate. Smalling as depth? That's a funny thought considering his monster year last season. I'm also ok with Jones as a squad player since he's still only 24 and I'd give him more time to get over his issues as long as we're not relying on him to be a starter.

Secondly, depending on where Mhikitaryan plays, need a Rooney replacement or a Mata one. For a club at United's level, I don't rate either as good enough honestly. I love me some Juan hugs, but we can do better. Rooney's been discussed to death and how he maintains first name on the team sheet is criminal.

Third is a top midfielder. Team is deep there currently with some good players, but I'd love to see an upgrade in quality there for next year.

I'm going to put ST last, just because Ibra is the short term solution and again depends upon if Rashford is ready in a year or two to be the main guy. He's been amazing so far, but being the #1 choice ST for a club like United is a big ask and the club should probably hedge bets here by making a signing over the next summer.

In the end, I don't think the club needs anything urgently and wouldn't look to buy in January at all barring injuries. Maybe make some sales. It's a good spot to be in. The next step to progress the club is continuing to beat the LVG out of the players and continue re-building their confidence. Jose has done brialliantly so far.

bucky

Ideally Griezmann next summer to replace Rooney. I still want us to monitor and eventually buy Tolisso and Cancelo. Depending on how our centre backs perform and whether Tuanzebe can make a claim, I'd wait with a signing there. Laporte would still be a good choice, if we need a new centre-back and our chances of getting him might have improved with Umtiti going to Barcelona. A new CM or RB could be redundant if Fosu-Mensah makes one position his own or is trusted over a new signing. Not sure if we need another winger.

I felt greedy writing this following our summer.

worldinmotion66

Right now, I'd hope for:

Varane/Giminez
Weigl/Saul
Griezmann

But I'd be happy with just one of them in truth, and I'm more than happy to allow the likes of Blind, Herrera, Fellaini and Mata to prove their doubters wrong this season and make a real contribution.

waza7111

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Blind - Shaw
Fellaini - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Rooney - Martial
Ibrahimovic
This is probably Mourinho's strongest 11 right now. I would say that we can improve on the right back, left centre back, right central midfield and number 10 positions. For now we must continue with Blind, Fellaini, Valencia and Rooney although I expect those four new players to be added over the next few transfer windows. We may also need a starting number 9 in two years but that depends on how Rashford continues to progress. The remaining seven players are as good as any in world football in their positions.

ChaddyP

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Blind - Shaw
Fellaini - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Rooney - Martial
Ibrahimovic
This is probably Mourinho's strongest 11 right now. I would say that we can improve on the right back, left centre back, right central midfield and number 10 positions. For now we must continue with Blind, Fellaini, Valencia and Rooney although I expect those four new players to be added over the next few transfer windows. We may also need a starting number 9 in two years but that depends on how Rashford continues to progress. The remaining seven players are as good as any in world football in their positions.
:wenger:

RU Devil

As to the question: What do we still need?

Time and patience.
+1

Can't be expecting to overhaul the team every window. Sometimes a manager has to do his best to improve what he was given by the previous regime while incorporating his chosen transfers. Jose has done well to get the most out of Fellaini, Valencia, Mata, Blind, and Rooney, making them seem essential to the project, while integrating the new boys. That some are even lamenting Fellaini's injury is a shock & testament to Jose's managerial nous.

Of course, I'm sure he's already plotting next summer's moves, but I don't see him needing to make moves in January, unless injuries force his hand. A top class DM plus better depth for the backline are probably foremost in his mind, but I can see him trying out someone like Jones for the DM role in the meantime.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Thankfully Carrick will be gone end of the season and Schweinsteiger's done. Hopefully next summer we'll get some upgrades to players like Darmian, Rooney, Schneiderlin and Fellaini to add real quality and depth for the Champions League and have one eye on Ibra's replacement for the following season after that. If we could do the same again next season, getting three or four top quality replacements nice and early, that would be job done and should get Jose a nice contract extension. He'll definitely be here for the long term.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Well I cant complain,

I think the squad is in a fantastic position now after a brilliant summer of signing not just numbers but world class fantastic players.

(Listed as options and players that can perform the role)

Goalkeepers: Johnstone, Romero, De Gea.

Defence: Fosu-Mensah, Darmian, Valencia, Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Tuanzebe

Midfield: Fosu-Mensah, Carrick, Schniederlin, Schwienstieger, Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera

Attacking Mid: Mhikitaryan, Mata, Rooney

Wingers: Martial, Mata, Mhikitaryan, Lingard, Rashford, Memphis

Strikers: Martial, Rooney, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Memphis

In amongst that lot we look insanely strong to compete on all fronts, now the only place I would say we need to strengthen is simply adding a player of an extremely high quality to compliment Martial on the other side and partner Pogba in the middle, having said that I think the options we have in those positions can do a great job to a high standard this season.

The players I think we could get to take us to the next level would be:

Antione Griezzmann
for either the right side or to compliment the attack adds pace and clinical finishing.
Saul Niguez- To partner Pogba in the middle but also add attacking flair in the middle can also play on the right.
Rapheal Verane- A combatative and powerful partner for Bailly or Smalling.

All three should be the next targets and there is no realistic reason why we could not get the first two (both have buyouts).
This forum overrates Varane massively.

Revan

Assumptionman
This forum overrates Varane massively.
Indeed. He's good but not that good. Always preferred Gimenez and Laporte from La Liga when it comes to young defenders (and Bailly seems to be a beast coming from there despite being off the radar).

3KDré

I'd rather we play youth. I honestly believe in Varela, TFM and Pereira. 4-3-3 all the way.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Not sure about the RB as there aren't many good options, Valencia is playing well and keeps himself in great shape, and we don't know if Jose will continue to develop TFM as a RB.

I agree on Weigl, he should be our priority next summer. I also think you are right regarding the other buy depending on the formation, and right now it seems it will remain as 4-2-3-1 and we'll probably only use 4-3-3 now and then so we'd have the options already here for a squad box to box role rather than a starter. Not sure who for the RW though to be honest but we need an extra wide player.
Valencia is doing very well, but we can't ignore his age for much longer. Mensah being developed to a RB would be the ideal solution, if not we can look at Kenny Tete from Ajax, who is also a Raiola player.

There is a lack of good Right-Wingers, if Mahrez have a good season we could splash the cash on him, Ounas could be another option or maybe a new talent will pop-up somewhere.

Devil may care

Valencia is doing very well, but we can't ignore his age for much longer. Mensah being developed to a RB would be the ideal solution, if not we can look at Kenny Tete from Ajax, who is also a Raiola player.

There is a lack of good Right-Wingers, if Mahrez have a good season we could splash the cash on him, Ounas could be another option or maybe a new talent will pop-up somewhere.
There's also Joe Riley who is one of 2 players in the U23's that look like they have a half chance of getting into the first team squad mix over the next couple of seasons. Tete is a decent option and Cancelo from Valencia looks promising, and we have an in with both.

I hope we track Ounas as Mahrez will be very hard to get due to his new deal. Of course if we end up buying Griezmann I don't think we'll add a wide player as Micki will be starting out there predominantly.

dichinero

There's also Joe Riley who is one of 2 players in the U23's that look like they have a half chance of getting into the first team squad mix over the next couple of seasons. Tete is a decent option and Cancelo from Valencia looks promising, and we have an in with both.

I hope we track Ounas as Mahrez will be very hard to get due to his new deal. Of course if we end up buying Griezmann I don't think we'll add a wide player as Micki will be starting out there predominantly.
There is a real dearth of top FBs out in the market. I still have some hope for Darmian and I would suggest that we keep an eye on Varela, there are players in them somewhere imo. Riley is not a bad shout too. Surely in those 3 we can find a solid FB that can give us 5 seasons at least. I'm not keen on Fabinho at all.

Devil may care

There is a real dearth of top FBs out in the market. I still have some hope for Darmian and I would suggest that we keep an eye on Varela, there are players in them somewhere imo. Riley is not a bad shout too. Surely in those 3 we can find a solid FB that can give us 5 seasons at least. I'm not keen on Fabinho at all.
Yeah, there isn't a lot of top FB options in general and even more specifically sparce RB options. I'd hope we could get one out of what we have as well, I think much will depend on what Jose decides to do with Fosu-Mensah, it's a shame CBJ isn't a RB.

Hysaj is another RB option.
Only seen him at the Euros but good shout, could be one to watch.