What do we still need? Post Summer 2016 edition

buckooo1978

Hard to see most of Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Young, Jones, Rojo and Rooney being squad members next season based on our early squads....Darmian's place in the squad might not be assured either

Who knows how the season will pan out and how involved the likes of Jones/Rojo will be.

I can see TFM, Januzaj and CBJ becoming active squad members next season so I think we might just add a CM in place of Carrick or Schweni, a CBin place of Rojo perhaps, possibly a right back in place of Darmian and a special attacking player in place of Rooney/Young

Mourinho seems tight on squad numbers and with our relative spending power i could see us going for quality first and foremost

Fabinho, Varane, a deep lying playmaker or defensive midfield player and someone like Griezeman would fit the bill and add to the quality we have

Will be interesting to see the impact of the new spanish scout... Maybe unearth a few diamonds

Jonno

Right... So sign another number 10, then? And let me guess, when you sign that new number 10, you'll want a new one, because you can't expect him to be our number 10 "just like that"? We don't need a new right winger and a new number 10.
No, Miki has in my opinion been bought to play in one of the two wide positions, not number 10.

It looks like Rooney is our number 10 so I say buy a better number 10 to replace Rooney. Relax.

NoPace

Going into summer 2017:

---------------Ibrahimovic----------- (Rashford, Memphis)
Martial------------------Mkhitaryan (Memphis, RW2/Januzaj, Mata, Lingard)
----------Pogba------CM------------ (Herrera, Mata, Fellaini)
----------------DM------------------ (Schneiderlin, Fellaini)
Shaw-----------------------------RB (Valencia, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah)
---------Blind------Bailly------------ (Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe)
--------------De Gea---------------- (Romero, Johnstone)

So, in order of priority:

DM
CM (or RW)
RB
RW2

and if we get Rooney, Carrick, Rojo and Young's wages off the books we should be more than fine financially to do that.

I figure it's unlikely we get a RW as good as Mkhitaryan and far more likely we can find a quality #8/10, but we could also just buy a RW like Mahrez and use Mkhitaryan as a 10 in some games and drop one of Mkhitaryan/Mahrez for Herrera when we want a 2nd proper CM along with Pogba in front of the DM to fight the midfield battle.

Not sure the backups will all be happy with that. Jones could be replaced with another CB. Same for Memphis as Martial's backup and probably Schneiderlin too.

So, looking at ambitious but fairly realistic names (players on teams we can financially bully or non-starters on top teams), a 2017 summer like this would be logical. Not getting into who I would want, just broadly listing:

DM - Verrati/Saul/Weigl/Geis/Bazoer/Drinkwater
CM - Verratti/Koke/Saul/Cesc/Ramsey/Strootman/Nainggolan/Kovacic/Tolisso/Tielemans/Hojbjerg
RW - (If Januzaj doesn't break out) Mahrez/Berardi/Inaki/Shaqiri/Deulofeu/Lucas/Yarmolenko/
RB - Carvajal/Coleman/Hysaj/Mario Gaspar/Corchia/De Sciglio/

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm surprised we didn't go for a pacey winger. Ousmane Dembele would have been the absolutely perfect signing. Or Sane would have been great as well. We lack that right sided player buzzing about the right flank with pace stretching defences.

I do hope we target Dembele a couple of years down the line. He looks properly special.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm surprised we didn't go for a pacey winger. Ousmane Dembele would have been the absolutely perfect signing. Or Sane would have been great as well. We lack that right sided player buzzing about the right flank with pace stretching defences.

I do hope we target Dembele a couple of years down the line. He looks properly special.
Mhiki is plenty rapid. We just have to...you know...actually put him in the starting XII.

gorky_utd

What about javi martinez from bayern?Will they sell him?He was a great dm in their treble winning season.Also seamus coleman at rb would be a good option.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Will get better idea as the season progresses. Mkhitaryan is signed as a right winger. Right back position depends on how well Valencia plays this season. If first 3 games are anything to do by then we have good enough right back.

We need midfield partner for Pogba but then it depends on how well Schneiderlin, Herrera and Fellaini plays. I have high hopes on Schneiderlin. If he can get back to his Southampton best then we would have excellent midfield.

IMO early to tell what we need this season considering we don't know how much Jose can improve the players we have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mhiki is plenty rapid. We just have to...you know...actually put him in the starting XII.
Different kind of players. Mkhitarian is pretty quick but more of a hybrid between playmaker and attacker. He's intelligent and creative like a 10 but also fairly nippy. The likes of Dembele and Coman are brutally quick and can leave defenders well on their wake from a standing position. Somewhat like Mane (but much more talented they are). Someone of that nature on the right is an addition I'd like to see personally.

But yeah dying to see Mkhitarian play week in week out.

An Irish Red

Getting a top class partner for Pogba and replacing Rooney will be the next priorities imo.

With Smalling, Bailly and Blind I don't think we really need a centre back anymore unless we're replacing Jones/Rojo with squad fillers.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Different kind of players. Mkhitarian is pretty quick but more of a hybrid between playmaker and attacker. He's intelligent and creative like a 10 but also fairly nippy. The likes of Dembele and Coman are brutally quick and can leave defenders well on their wake from a standing position. Somewhat like Mane (but much more talented they are). Someone of that nature on the right is an addition I'd like to see personally.

But yeah dying to see Mkhitarian play week in week out.
Mkhi in the middle flanked by one of our wingers who isn't actually a winger and new transfer whom you might call a traditional winger would be beautiful. Might not happen for a year or two, though.

On a related note, I think it's telling that superpowers like Bayern are snapping up young players in positions that often get mentioned like the one you noted above along with Sanches. Another reason why I think either Fabinho or Weigl(sp) will be in our sights next summer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well I cant complain,

I think the squad is in a fantastic position now after a brilliant summer of signing not just numbers but world class fantastic players.

(Listed as options and players that can perform the role)

Goalkeepers: Johnstone, Romero, De Gea.

Defence: Fosu-Mensah, Darmian, Valencia, Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Tuanzebe

Midfield: Fosu-Mensah, Carrick, Schniederlin, Schwienstieger, Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera

Attacking Mid: Mhikitaryan, Mata, Rooney

Wingers: Martial, Mata, Mhikitaryan, Lingard, Rashford, Memphis

Strikers: Martial, Rooney, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Memphis

In amongst that lot we look insanely strong to compete on all fronts, now the only place I would say we need to strengthen is simply adding a player of an extremely high quality to compliment Martial on the other side and partner Pogba in the middle, having said that I think the options we have in those positions can do a great job to a high standard this season.

The players I think we could get to take us to the next level would be:

Antione Griezzmann
for either the right side or to compliment the attack adds pace and clinical finishing.
Saul Niguez- To partner Pogba in the middle but also add attacking flair in the middle can also play on the right.
Rapheal Verane- A combatative and powerful partner for Bailly or Smalling.

All three should be the next targets and there is no realistic reason why we could not get the first two (both have buyouts).
What about Schweinsteiger ?

3KDré

For right back we should look at Joao Cancelo. We can easily buy off Valencia. If not I honestly think that Varela is good enough.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Rooney out, Griezmann in, if that is our only business next summer then I will be very happy.
Agreed.

It's dependent on Valencia and Fellaini keeping their form throughout the season though. If they can establish their current level then we will, with the addidion of Griezmann and further development of our young players like Shaw, Bailly and Martial, challenge for the CL title imo.

rotherham_red

Griezemann, one of Weigl/Saul and a pacey left-footed winger to balance out the squad.

Add those three and I'd back us to challenge for the Champions League next season, bedding in period be damned.

C'est Moi Cantona

Agreed.

It's dependent on Valencia and Fellaini keeping their form throughout the season though. If they can establish their current level then we will, with the addidion of Griezmann and further development of our young players like Shaw, Bailly and Martial, challenge for the CL title imo.
That's a fair point, but we have depth for those two anyway, Darmian and Mensah for Valencia, Schneiderlin, Herrera, for Fellaini.

My main point is that we are close to having a perfect looking team, and much as I'm bored of kicking Rooney he is the obvious weak link, so to get him gone and a true world class player to take his place would be the icing on the cake, I'd also expect to see the likes of Mata, Carrick, & Rojo, go next summer too.

Devil may care

People are really going overboard about Fellaini, he's had a couple of good games but getting a top class #6 to partner Pogba and replace Carrick will be vital for the CL.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A right winger to fight it out with MKT and both a number 6 and 8 as I can see Pogba moving into the 10 role unless we sign Griezman. Then if Griezman signs a classy 6 will do (Veratti or Kroos) although if we got Griezman then thinking we could sign him plus either Kroos or Veratti is dreaming! In fact why don't I just add Neymar also.

Kag

It depends what formation we settle on. On current evidence we would need to replace Rooney at #10, whether it be moving Mkhitaryan inside and bringing in a winger or just buying a brand new second striker.

Assuming we bin both Bastian and Carrick then we'll need another central midfielder.

Right back is a position to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

itso 7

I think we are too light on explosive players so I would rather we sign Dembele (or any player of that ilk) ahead of Griezmann.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think we are too light on explosive players so I would rather we sign Dembele (or any player of that ilk) ahead of Griezmann.
We aren't going to get Dembele when another big club, and they are big have just signed him. United will want another galatico signing, especially as it is rumoured Bale is going to sign another bumper contract with Madrid.

itso 7

We aren't going to get Dembele when another big club, and they are big have just signed him. United will want another galatico signing, especially as it is rumoured Bale is going to sign another bumper contract with Madrid.
Which is why I said a 'player of that ilk' in brackets indicating that whilst he is first choice we can and should be getting a very good alternative. We need an explosive and offensively effective player on the right to make us unplayable in attack.

rotherham_red

I think Dembele will be up for grabs in 2018 or more likely, 2019. Would be perfect timing for us as Mkhitaryan could transition back into midfield by then and free up a spot in the attack.

AlwaysRed66

We need more pace in the side, & that was shown up in the Hull game. In our early matches we have only three players with pace who started the games, & two of them are the fullbacks, with the other being Martial who has been average at best so far. This is a big problem up front as Ibrahimovic & Rooney move as though they are running in mud. I like Mata, who makes good runs, but is not exactly pacy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
RB in Jan isn't unrealistic (but if Valencia carries on like he is I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer). Would like a proper DM too if we can. Then a CB and Griezmann in summer?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They sold Cole to Chelsea and RvP to us. If we can unsettle him, why not?
contracted till end of 2019 season (cole and rvn were closer to the end of their contracts when arsenal agreed to sell)
also if he does become available does anybody here really think he would end up at us and not Barca?
will be a top player for somebody - but not us

InfiniteBoredom

contracted till end of 2019 season (cole and rvn were closer to the end of their contracts when arsenal agreed to sell)
also if he does become available does anybody here really think he would end up at us and not Barca?
will be a top player for somebody - but not us
So in two years time when Valencia becomes useless, we go for him :smirk:

Barca likes to buy defenders from Liga. Easier to assimilate. If he continues to play and improve in the PL it's more likely than not that they will think him too British to mould, sort of like Fabregas. Not to mention that we might become much more attractive. 2-3 years is a long time in football.