What do we still need? Post Summer 2016 edition

Nick.

If there's truth in the Griezmann and Semedo news in the last 24 hours that would be a cracking start to the transfer window.

CB - van Dijk/Lindelof
RB - Semedo
#6 - Weigl/Paredes/Fabinho
FW - Griezmann
#9 - Silva/Belotti/Dolberg
I know we're rich but imagine how much this would cost in one transfer window. Would need a good fee for Rooney to do this imo

I quite like Bernardo Silva but I've heard he's valued at £70m which is probably too much when you're signing Griezmann as well.

Dong Fangzhuo

If there's truth in the Griezmann and Semedo news in the last 24 hours that would be a cracking start to the transfer window.

CB - van Dijk/Lindelof
RB - Semedo
#6 - Weigl/Paredes/Fabinho
FW - Griezmann
#9 - Silva/Belotti/Dolberg
That's 200m GBP at an absolute minimum, more likely 250-280m. I can't see that happening, especially with the Adidas penalty kicking in.

gajender

That's 200m GBP at an absolute minimum, more likely 250-280m. I can't see that happening, especially with the Adidas penalty kicking in.
We have already banked around £40 m
from sales in last transfer window and can easily raise another £ 90-120 m depending on outgoings in Summer so net spend of£100-120 m is quite feasible if these players are available and willing to come.

Adidas penalty is a non factor lets say we miss champions league that 30% penalty clause is spread over the course of remaining contract. £22.5 m loss would mean us getting reduced amount of £71.78 m every year for remaining contract length as long we don't miss champions league consecutively again.

Last edited:

itso 7

What concerns me about signing Griezmann is that Mata, Rooney, Miki all play there best in the number 10 role, and when you play them out wide we lack width and pace.

Griezmann is a great player, but if we sign him we need to add some pace around him. Can you play Mata, Griezmann and a striker in the one side ??

Jose likes his number 10 to push back, will Griezmann do that enough.
We definitely need more pace around the possible front two of Ibra and Griezmann so instead of clogging up the squad with expensive squad players maybe we should sell Rooney and Mata so that we can recoup funds for a winger or back up striker purchase. Miki has enough pace and creativity about him to function well anywhere in the three behind the striker so thats the right side sorted. The problem with the Griezmann signing is how it will affect the midfield equation, Carrick and Herrera are, imo, too lightweight to carry a Pogba who is liable to go walk about so we'd probably need a solid DM in the Makalele mould to stand a chance of competing in midfield in the big games.
Generally I don't like too many additions in a solitary window, we have been okay defensively over the past two to three months so why add another CB? If we sign Griezmann, a DM and a quicker forward to compete on the right we should be alright but that alone would set us back another 150m. This leads me to wonder whether we really need to spend so much of our budget on Griezmann or whether we'd be better served with buying a couple of players in the 40m range who can come in and cover two roles?

MV12

From my point of veiw we are desperate for a midfielder who can beat a player and then use the space creatively.. Pogba tries but he looses the ball all too easily.. There is a woeful lack of creative skill and pace in the final third..

Devil may care

I know we're rich but imagine how much this would cost in one transfer window. Would need a good fee for Rooney to do this imo

I quite like Bernardo Silva but I've heard he's valued at £70m which is probably too much when you're signing Griezmann as well.
It was actually Andre Silva I was listing, I think we will make a few sales for good money in the summer to balance things out, Jose has given this lot a whole season and we are stalling post-Christmas and this is the 3rd season at least a lot of them have had to prove they can take the club where it needs to go.

We haven't missed out on top 4 yet. The Griezmann fee makes things hard I agree, if you match it up with last summer than Semedo would be the equivelant fee of Bailly and I think Silva or Dolberg wouldn't cost more than Mkhi, Dolberg should be quite a bit less but both would have add-ons. So if my maths is right we'd need roughly another 100M for the CM and CB, but none of the players listed are luxury buys, we need to add goal threat, we need a Carrick replacement and we need another CB. You could argue we don't need a RB yet but that would mean another season with no adequate cover/competition for Valencia.

Dong Fangzhuo

We haven't missed out on top 4 yet. The Griezmann fee makes things hard I agree, if you match it up with last summer than Semedo would be the equivelant fee of Bailly and I think Silva or Dolberg wouldn't cost more than Mkhi, Dolberg should be quite a bit less but both would have add-ons. So if my maths is right we'd need roughly another 100M for the CM and CB, but none of the players listed are luxury buys, we need to add goal threat, we need a Carrick replacement and we need another CB. You could argue we don't need a RB yet but that would mean another season with no adequate cover/competition for Valencia.
I agree that we need all of that. I just can't see us spending that kind of money in one window, esp if we miss out on CL. Griezmann/Semedo is already a rumoured 120m. With the market the way it is and clubs knowing the prices we've been paying for potential recently we'd do well to pay 40m a pop for the players you mentioned for those three positions.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
We could build an industrious, Atlético type team without overspending to an extreme, and adding no more than 3-4 players:

-----------------------Martial
--------↗------------------------Griezmann
-----Pogba--------------------------------------------↖
-------------------Herrera----------Keïta-----------Mkhitaryan

Kolašinac-------------------------------------------------------Valencia
---------------------Giménez--------------Bailly

--------------------------------De Gea

Mandžukić and Torres alternated for them, and Martial is quite similar to the latter when he was at his peak. Will only happen if José is more flexible in his approach, though.
Mkhitaryan - Arda.
Pogba isn't entirely out of his comfort zone.
Ander is a bit like Gabi.
Keïta for Tiago - who could press and pass and dribble - in general, a good fit with Gabi.
Kolašinac only because he's a Mourinho type fullback in the Ivanović mold, is more refined than Shaw, provides better end product, and is available on a Bosman:

Depending on Shaw's improvement, he could easily make the spot his own, making Kolašinac a really good depth option as a leftback/central defensive option.
Giménez = Godín Jr.

Best part about it all - 2 of the most high profile additions have a buyout clause that can be activated if an agreement is reached with the player: Giménez Griezmann, so there might not be protracted negotiations with the selling clubs dragging its heels unnecessarily.

Keïta has been a revelation at Leipzig (like Kanté at Leicester), possesses a great engine to pair with Herrera and will not be super expensive, apart from being technically decent and only 22 years old - so he could be a long term addition (like Giménez and Griezmann).

With the right amount of planning, we could finish all the summer business by May/June and have a productive summer tour/training program - which should hold us in good stead come next season. Instead of dragging things till August - which is quite disruptive.

NYAS

We could build an industrious, Atlético type team without overspending to an extreme, and adding no more than 3-4 players:

Mandžukić and Torres alternated for them, and Martial is quite similar to the latter when he was at his peak. Will only happen if José is more flexible in his approach, though.
Mkhitaryan - Arda.
Keïta for Tiago - who could press and pass and dribble - in general, a good fit with Gabi.
Kolašinac only because he's a Mourinho type fullback in the Ivanović mold, is more refined than Shaw, provides better end product, and is available on a Bosman:

Depending on Shaw's improvement, he could easily make the spot his own, making Kolašinac a really good depth option as a leftback/central defensive option.
Giménez = Godín Jr.

Best part about it all - 2 of the most high profile additions have a buyout clause that can be activated if an agreement is reached with the player: Giménez Griezmann, so there might not be protracted negotiations with the selling clubs dragging its heels unnecessarily.

Keïta has been a revelation at Leipzig (like Kanté at Leicester), possesses a great engine to pair with Herrera and will not be super expensive, apart from being technically decent and only 22 years old - so he could be a long term addition (like Giménez and Griezmann).

With the right amount of planning, we could finish all the summer business by May/June and have a productive summer tour/training program - which should hold us in good stead come next season. Instead of dragging things till August - which is quite disruptive.
I've always been a big fan of Kolasinac. Refined is a very good way to describe him. He's also versatile and apart from LB, can play at left CB as well as DM on occasions. He's slightly less versatile than Blind but I'm not sure if he has the potential to be a top-class starting LB for us for years to come. Although your post is based on a 'value for money' market strategy so if that were to be the case there aren't many better choices for that position if Shaw doesn't make it.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I'm not sure we need to add much more than Griezemann. Even if we can hold onto our players and get them playing to their potential it may be enough to overtake several teams like Arsenal (massive doubts over Sanchez and Ozil) Chelsea (Costa maybe Courtois) Citeh (Aguero+wholesale changes). Rather than Strengthening these teams could well be weaker.

Liverpool and Spurs may well finish ahead of us again but they don't have the financial power to keep ahead of us.

RikRuud

A captain. Assuming Rooney leaves and perhaps even Smalling. I'm struggling to see who might get the armband long term.

An Irish Red

I think playing Griezmann as a false nine with Martial brought back into the fold on the left wing would improve us immensely. Especially if we can add a good player to our midfield three as well.

Seeing lots of people talk about us bringing in Lindelof as well but I seriously doubt we're after him. Seems like another Gaitan rumour to me.

Devil may care

I agree that we need all of that. I just can't see us spending that kind of money in one window, esp if we miss out on CL. Griezmann/Semedo is already a rumoured 120m. With the market the way it is and clubs knowing the prices we've been paying for potential recently we'd do well to pay 40m a pop for the players you mentioned for those three positions.
I don't think anyone would have spent that much in a window other than Real Madrid in 2009, but the other option is to go in short like we are this season or buy inferior players for less and continue the cycle of the likes of Darmian and Fellaini featuring regularly for us.

I'm not sure we need to add much more than Griezemann. Even if we can hold onto our players and get them playing to their potential it may be enough to overtake several teams like Arsenal (massive doubts over Sanchez and Ozil) Chelsea (Costa maybe Courtois) Citeh (Aguero+wholesale changes). Rather than Strengthening these teams could well be weaker.

Liverpool and Spurs may well finish ahead of us again but they don't have the financial power to keep ahead of us.
We need a lot more than Griezmann, we have no quality cover at fullbacks or in midfield and our main CM will be 36 years old while our main #9 will also be 36 next season and Jose clearly doesn't fancy Rashford or Martial to lead the line..

I think playing Griezmann as a false nine with Martial brought back into the fold on the left wing would improve us immensely. Especially if we can add a good player to our midfield three as well.

Seeing lots of people talk about us bringing in Lindelof as well but I seriously doubt we're after him. Seems like another Gaitan rumour to me.
It might not be Lindelof but I'd be shocked if Jose doesn't get a CB of his own in the summer.

3KDré

A captain. Assuming Rooney leaves and perhaps even Smalling. I'm struggling to see who might get the armband long term.
Dave/Tony (probably Dave because he probably speaks better English). If not I would like it if Herrera or Rojo gets it.

bucky

Mkhitaryan - Arda.

Giménez = Godín Jr.

I've really come around on this idea and think it's by far the best option to get the best out of Griezmann and Pogba. The latter did play in that role previously for Juventus and he did well there. Not sure about Gimenez as a partner for Bailly and whether Mourinho would fancy Martial in that role, but overall it looks really good on paper.

3KDré

Mkhitaryan - Arda.

Giménez = Godín Jr.

I agree that it'd be a good system for us, my only worry would be Pogba's workrate. With Kolasinic or whatever his name is supposedly being a very attacking LB, Pogba would need to fill in for him a lot and that'd be a bad idea because I don't think Pogba would be arsed to do the defensive dirty work required of that role.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I've really come around on this idea and think it's by far the best option to get the best out of Griezmann and Pogba. The latter did play in that role previously for Juventus and he did well there.
Yep!

Pogba kind of bears resemblance to Sócrates - who was similarly tall and remarkably technical for someone of that stature, expect he is more athletic and a bit more industrious than Sócrates - who played that central-wide oscillating playmaker role to perfection for Brazil:
With Zico and Sócrates also in the side, Brazil had four vastly talented creative midfielders, but no wide players whatsoever apart from Eder. Cerezo and Falcão – both registas, deep-lying playmakers – sat behind Zico and Sócrates – the trequartistas – while Eder was deployed as an auxiliary centre-forward, playing off the lumbering Serginho, who would surely never have been anywhere near the side had either Reinaldo or Careca been fit
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jul/25/italy-brazil-1982

Even Pogba estimates that his game is ideally suited to more offensive roles:
"I try to adapt. I am a player who would rather go forward. The coach gave me instructions, I try to follow them," he told reporters.
By relieving him of extra duties in a potential midfield duo, we'll afford him the freedom to explore the extent of his natural attacking potential.
Not sure about Gimenez as a partner for Bailly and whether Mourinho would fancy Martial in that role, but overall it looks really good on paper.
Yeah, it's kind of an imperfect pairing, and to be fair - someone like Laporte would be a better aesthetic fit for Bailly. But Giménez is a marvelous pure defensive talent (arguably the best in football), and in a team that is likely to defend deep given the overall shape, his towering defensive fortitude will be a good fit. A strong and aggressive central defensive core is the hallmark of Mourinho teams, and while Giménez lacks the composure and passing range of a Carvalho, he is adept at bringing the ball out of defense on foot - in that sense, he's not too dissimilar to old Lúcio, who was part of José's second best defense with Samuel (more of a stopper who wasn't excellent on the ball) at Internazionale.
I agree that it'd be a good system for us, my only worry would be Pogba's workrate. With Kolasinic or whatever his name is supposedly being a very attacking LB, Pogba would need to fill in for him a lot and that'd be a bad idea because I don't think Pogba would be arsed to do the defensive dirty work required of that role.
Kolašinac is hardly a Jordi Alba style rampaging wingback, though - he's a good defender and someone like Mourinho could further develop that side of him game. In terms of what José needs from his fullbacks, he has the requisite skillset - physically strong, not too eager in the offensive phase in terms of repeatedly forsaking his defensive duties, still young - so there's scope for improvement, and a fullback/central defender hybrid à la Gallas/Ivanović/Chivu.

bucky

Yep!

Pogba kind of bears resemblance to Sócrates - who was similarly tall and remarkably technical for someone of that stature, expect he is more athletic and a bit more industrious than Sócrates - who played that central-wide oscillating playmaker role to perfection for Brazil:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jul/25/italy-brazil-1982

Even Pogba estimates that his game is ideally suited to more offensive roles:

By relieving him of extra duties in a potential midfield duo, we'll afford him the freedom to explore the extent of his natural attacking potential.

Yeah, it's kind of an imperfect pairing, and to be fair - someone like Laporte would be a better aesthetic fit for Bailly. But Giménez is a marvelous pure defensive talent (arguably the best in football), and in a team that is likely to defend deep given the overall shape, his towering defensive fortitude will be a good fit. A strong and aggressive central defensive core is the hallmark of Mourinho teams, and while Giménez lacks the composure and passing range of a Carvalho, he is adept at bringing the ball out of defense on foot - in that sense, he's not too dissimilar to old Lúcio, who was part of José's second best defense with Samuel (more of a stopper who wasn't excellent on the ball) at Internazionale.

Kolašinac is hardly a Jordi Alba style rampaging wingback, though - he's a good defender and someone like Mourinho could further develop that side of him game. In terms of what José needs from his fullbacks, he has the requisite skillset - physically strong, not too eager in the offensive phase in terms of repeatedly forsaking his defensive duties, still young - so there's scope for improvement, and a fullback/central defender hybrid à la Gallas/Ivanović/Chivu.
As usual a well thought out post. One of the reasons why this idea makes sense is that Pogba tends to drift to that area anyway and his crossing ability is quite good. On top of that his defensive contribution is certainly sufficient to make this work. Why not go for Laporte instead Gimenez? I don't think the latter will be much cheaper than the former and Laporte's talent is undisputed. Especially if he would be coached by someone like Mourinho, there could be a serious upside to it. He needs to move on from Athletic, if he wants to achieve more and at this moment in time he seems to be stagnating there.

Have you watched Nice? Someone who could be an alternative to Keita could be Cyprien. I think Cyprien's passing is better than Keita's from what I've seen and he also ticks a lot of boxes that Keita does. One way or the other both could be excellent signings.

Devil may care

Kolasinac on a free would certainly be great business given the uncertainty with Shaw and the lack of top options in the squad currently.

Mike09

Attacking mid: Griezmann
I think Griezmann will be the key to unlock Jose's 4231 system. Jose wanted to play with this formation at the start of this season, he's a better technical skills than Rooney, quicker than Mata, better goal finisher than Pogba. Attacking midfielder with top class technical skills, with pace, and can score goals is exactly what he wants to support Zlatan.

Defensive mid: Fabinho
I think Fabinho has been very underrated as a defensive midfielder this season or most likely Monaco has been very underrated this season. They are currently on top of the Ligue 1. They defeated PSG 3-1 at home and draw 1-1 at away. They knocked out Fenerbahce and Villarreal from Champion League. They defeated Spurs twice and knocked them out from Champion League and they finished first in their group as well. So we know that he was capable to play against top midfielder.
He might not be a good passer but his playing style reminds me of Matic which was Jose's signing at Chelsea. What makes it even better is that he plays with Bakayoko, a midfielder who likes to dribble the ball like Pogba and I believe he's getting used to win the ball back again whenever Bakayoko loses the ball.

Left back: Bertrand
I don't know who we should sign for left back, but any left back who is good enough to push Shaw and better than Darmian or Blind are fine with me. I think Bertrand has been very good with Southampton. We played with Young or Blind as our left back in Shaw's first season, played Rojo as our left back in second season, and now we are playing Darmian and Blind as our left back regularly. If Shaw can't stay fit, I think it's about time we sign another proper left back.

I think attacking mid, defensive mid, left back are the least position that we need to cover in summer.
I'll give Mkhytaryan another season, I have faith in Martial as our left winger, Rojo and Jones have done well this season with Bailly has potential to be a top defender.

Bwuk

Mkhitaryan - Arda.

Giménez = Godín Jr.

I would be all for this.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
As usual a well thought out post. One of the reasons why this idea makes sense is that Pogba tends to drift to that area anyway and his crossing ability is quite good. On top of that his defensive contribution is certainly sufficient to make this work. Why not go for Laporte instead Gimenez? I don't think the latter will be much cheaper than the former and Laporte's talent is undisputed. Especially if he would be coached by someone like Mourinho, there could be a serious upside to it. He needs to move on from Athletic, if he wants to achieve more and at this moment in time he seems to be stagnating there.
Mostly because I'm not entirely convinced that the best use of Laporte will be in relatively deep defensive blocks - of the two young Athletic Club centerbacks, Yeray seems to be a better fit for that setup (prior to his surgery layoff). Laporte has always come across as a better fit for a team that's on the front foot in a more proactive style (like Barcelona, or maybe City under Guardiola), whereas Giménez/Yeray/Lucas Hernández seem to be better for deeper defensive lines that are quite reactive by nature - which we will likely have to employ if we go 4-4-2 and defend using two banks of four with an emphasis on defensive compactness and 1v1 marking skills (which Giménez excels at). He is proven in a very similar system at Atlético (which was the inspiration for the post), plus - he's more physical, tenacious and better in the air (despite being an inch shorter). The trade-off with Laporte's better distribution didn't seem to be that steep, all things considered - because in pure defensive terms, Giménez is the arguably THE best talent of his age group, IMO. With more experience, and polish, Giménez could become a Godín-like defender - not super smooth on the ball, but more than good enough to marshal the defensive line and instigate attacks from the deep (Godín's completion rate is often lower than it should be because he attempts more risky vertical passes).
Have you watched Nice? Someone who could be an alternative to Keita could be Cyprien. I think Cyprien's passing is better than Keita's from what I've seen and he also ticks a lot of boxes that Keita does. One way or the other both could be excellent signings.
Haven't seen a lot of Cyprien to be honest (maybe 4-5 highlight videos of Nice's matches), but I've heard good things about him, Jean Michel Seri and Ricardo Pereira. Of the three - Seri might be too diminutive in stature for Mourinho's United, but Cyprien and Pereira seem to have a good physical profile for the Premier League. Good thing is that there are a plethora of options for that role if we go 4-4-2 (ranging from Fabinho and Bakayoko - who play it at Monaco, to Strootman and Paredes from Roma in a slightly different style, N'Zonzi for a more experienced player, Krychowiak - if he were to leave PSG, or Saúl/Koke - if you wanna go the extra mile). Different types of players, but Herrera is versatile enough to accommodate most of them in a two man central midfield for the short term. Once that is in place, we can maybe explore upgrade options for the medium to long term.

Devil may care

The debate will go back and forth about 2 man midfield vs 3 man midfield and Pogba but the fact is it's not just about freeing Pogba up to do what he does best, it's also about protecting the team defensively, he's simply not good enough in that aspect to have just one CM partner. People keep saying we just need a Kante type in there with him, but that's not how Kante shines, he chases the ball all over the pitch, Matic sits, just as Drinkwater did with him.

We paid a world record fee for Pogba and are building the team around him, you don't partly build a house and then just throw it all out when you hit a difficult patch, you show faith an see it through. The forward line is an issue, none of the support forwards score nearly enough, Griezmann can surely change that, and while Ibra is beyond critcism on here due to his goal tally, there are games where we struggle as he offers no threat in behind and can't press and harass the CB's to unsettle a defense, so another option is needed for some games, these are bigger issues than trying to force Pogba into a position he's not suited to just to add an extra forward.

Philadelphian

We are in desperate need of a RW or 2 new FBs who can actually cross and contribute to the attack. The left side is obviously non existent and Valencia takes up a ton of good positions and yet I don't believe he has even 1 assist. So he's clearly overrated on here as well.

If Our wide forwards are going to play more centrally as it naturally suits them then our FBs must contribute more to the attack both in presence and end product. It's as simple as that.

If the FBs aren't major contributors then we need to stop playing inverted wingers and #10s out wide and bring in at least 1 work horse type like Pedro, Willian, Mane, Sterling, even seeing Sane donit now. A player that can stretch the play vertically and horizontally, can put in dangerous crosses consistently, and that understands when and how to run in behind defenses. We do not have a single player who brings that to the team.

We are playing either old, creative types out wide or young brutish types with 1 trick. And at the same time we're playing with FBs who are not contributing. Valencia taking up good positions and not contributing is still not a net positive for us.

It's width we've been lacking.

Bwuk

I wouldn't mind us going after Andy Robertson.

Devil may care

We are in desperate need of a RW or 2 new FBs who can actually cross and contribute to the attack. The left side is obviously non existent and Valencia takes up a ton of good positions and yet I don't believe he has even 1 assist. So he's clearly overrated on here as well.

If Our wide forwards are going to play more centrally as it naturally suits them then our FBs must contribute more to the attack both in presence and end product. It's as simple as that.

If the FBs aren't major contributors then we need to stop playing inverted wingers and #10s out wide and bring in at least 1 work horse type like Pedro, Willian, Mane, Sterling, even seeing Sane donit now. A player that can stretch the play vertically and horizontally, can put in dangerous crosses consistently, and that understands when and how to run in behind defenses. We do not have a single player who brings that to the team.

We are playing either old, creative types out wide or young brutish types with 1 trick. And at the same time we're playing with FBs who are not contributing. Valencia taking up good positions and not contributing is still not a net positive for us.

It's width we've been lacking.
I agree that lack attacking width is another issue in the team, and while Valencia has had a good all round season, his chance creation from the amount of good attacking positions he gets in, is not great. I'd focus on the fullbacks for this as with the potential signing of Griezmann along with Martial, Mkhitaryan and Mata we have inside forward options in depth that will play regularly, but Valencia will be 32 and Shaw hasn't staked a claim to a spot, so genuine competition for both would be good.

witchtrials

Hard to know what the squad will look like next season. Aside from last summer's signings the only players I would be surprised to see leave in the summer are Herrera, Valencia and Rashford.

M4nu4Life

We definitely need more pace around the possible front two of Ibra and Griezmann so instead of clogging up the squad with expensive squad players maybe we should sell Rooney and Mata so that we can recoup funds for a winger or back up striker purchase. Miki has enough pace and creativity about him to function well anywhere in the three behind the striker so thats the right side sorted. The problem with the Griezmann signing is how it will affect the midfield equation, Carrick and Herrera are, imo, too lightweight to carry a Pogba who is liable to go walk about so we'd probably need a solid DM in the Makalele mould to stand a chance of competing in midfield in the big games.
Generally I don't like too many additions in a solitary window, we have been okay defensively over the past two to three months so why add another CB? If we sign Griezmann, a DM and a quicker forward to compete on the right we should be alright but that alone would set us back another 150m. This leads me to wonder whether we really need to spend so much of our budget on Griezmann or whether we'd be better served with buying a couple of players in the 40m range who can come in and cover two roles?
Agree about Mata and Rooney, and a defensive mid who can pass has been a big need for at least 5 years.

Would love a good winger on the left.

settembrini

2-3 new signings seems realistic.

If the season ended tomorrow I think a goal scoring attacker and a left back would be Mourinho's priorities.

Devil may care

Not the most encouraging comments, the squad is still a ways off being good enough and deep enough, it also means too much deadwood dreck will probably be kept to pad it out.

CM

I think that's probably a good thing. Our squad is very good for the most part and if we make signings in the correct positions we won't need more than 3 or 4 new players.

Philadelphian

Not the most encouraging comments, the squad is still a ways off being good enough and deep enough, it also means too much deadwood dreck will probably be kept to pad it out.
Agreed. I think overall balance is still a pretty big issue.

Devil may care

Agreed. I think overall balance is still a pretty big issue.
Yep, we have no starting LB, no cover at RB, 4 CB's with only one that can play well on the left side of the defense, a 36 year old #9 with no cover and a midfield unit with 2 players who's best days are well behind them and 1 that was never good enough to be here to begin with.