What DOES he have to do?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
So many threads about a new formation, a new tactical emphasis, why we are bad, what we should do etc...

What would Ole have to do at this point to redeem himself? Win next several games? Just show better attacking play and shore up the defense? Long CL run?

Have you completely washed your hands of Ole or is there anything he can do that would make you feel different in regards to him keeping his position?

For me, I would prefer a change but to redeem himself, there are 14 games left this calendar year (11 PL and 3 CL), I would need to see 9 wins out of 11 in the PL and qualifying from CL to even consider by January still not being an "Ole out"

What, if anything would have to happen for him to convince you?

Roboc7

We’ve seen he either doesn’t have a plan or can’t implement one, his time should be up now irrespective of what happens. He’s never going to be able to compete at the highest level, even if this crisis were to blow over the next one is never far away.

dove

Nothing. We had more than enough time to see how out of his depth he is here. Contrary to some people belief, he is not gonna turn into SAF overnight. We have a good team so it's possible we will win some games but it's just a waste of time because it's simply not possible to win trophies with "go out there and enjoy yourselves lads" tactics. He is done here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Start winning consistently, stop making stupid decisions.

Most importantly sort out the defence - then win some trophies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
To turn it around? Start winning, fix the defence and make us very hard to beat whilst being potent in attack. And he'd have to do it immediately.

LoneStar

Does this really need another thread to discuss on? I feel like we have a million of these already. Most people want to move on from him. That's it. There's no way he suddenly becomes a genius coach and changes our playstyle.

FatTails

Genuinely if he won every game for the rest of the year, you would still want him sacked?
It’s not going to happen so what’s the point of that question. There is no miracle around the corner. He’s been here for three years and it’s foolish to expect some big turn in his management suddenly.

This is it. We either learn to live with it or we make the change.

Flytan

Genuinely if he won every game for the rest of the year, you would still want him sacked?
For me (and I'm sure some people will disagree because they love Ole) the only way he saves his job is to turn this season into a title challenge. He doesn't have to win it but going into the final few games of the season he needs to be right there with the leaders. Anything short of that he needs to go because of the body of work as his time as manager here. We'll never get to that point though and he doesn't deserve to still be manager. It's sheer nepotism.

It's not about changing tactics when his job is on the line (that's just meant as more PR to appease fans and lower the pressure). In fact if he randomly changes his tactics that makes me even more furious because he's basically admitting he's doing it wrong but didn't actually change anything when there was still time.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He would have to implement some style of play, which after three years isnt going to happen.

Denis79

So many threads about a new formation, a new tactical emphasis, why we are bad, what we should do etc...

What would Ole have to do at this point to redeem himself? Win next several games? Just show better attacking play and shore up the defense? Long CL run?

Have you completely washed your hands of Ole or is there anything he can do that would make you feel different in regards to him keeping his position?

For me, I would prefer a change but to redeem himself, there are 14 games left this calendar year (11 PL and 3 CL), I would need to see 9 wins out of 11 in the PL and qualifying from CL to even consider by January still not being an "Ole out"

Of course he can redeem himself, if he stays on and mounts a serious title challenge, gets us to the CL semis I would want no other manager to lead us but that's not going to happen and we all know it. People need to accept he isn't good enough at the moment to be a manager at a top club.

Ixion

I was ready for him to go UNTIL he said something had to give and I thought we were going to see a change in formation/players/tactics for the Atalanta and Liverpool games but his grand plan was just swap Pogba for Rashford now he's back from injury. He knew something was wrong and did absolutely nothing. He hasn't even attempted to fix the issues while our league position has suffered for it. I suspect he will try and change formations at Spurs and change players around but he almost has no choice now, he blew his chance to prove he could turn it around.

tomaldinho1

Good question. I'll refrain from a joke answer.

The expectations haven't changed so he's in a very difficult although not impossible place given how we've started. A huge issue for me is the aesthetics of what we see, it's appalling and just makes me think he's become Mou mark II. If I leave that aside and think simply about what he needs to do:

1. PL, we have to be in the race. Top 4 alone isn't good enough given it'll be 3.5 years end of this season, there has to be tangible evidence we are either winning or close to winning the league (let's say 5 points off 1st if you need an arbitrary number)
  2. CL, unlikely we're winning it but we have to again show we aren't a million miles off. Have to make knock outs and really we should beating most teams we face (Bayern, City, pool, Chelsea, PSG will be tough but even then, we should be in the tie).
  3. FA cup. It is secondary but the only domestic cup that matters, got be getting to SF's minimum (i.e. even if you get a hard draw, we shouldn't just go out against the first good team we face).I am less fussed baout the FA cup in honesty and that alone won't save him.
  4. EL, if we drop into the EL he should get a permanent OT stadium ban and we'll alter the footage so Sheringham scored he 99 winner ;)

The truth is, despite form, we should now be challenging and that is how we should be viewed. It's so easy to despair and think we need loads of new players but we don't, we need Ole to suddenly become a good coach or find a new coach. Ideally the former but most have run out of patience/hope for that post Pool.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Win the next 2 in good style and minimum draw vs City to show some continuity. The imporant bit is shoring up our underperforming defense

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean if he won the next 3 games with brilliant performances and we proceeded to win the title or CL title this season, then yeah he could stay. Literally anything less than a serious title challenge (as in, if we don't win it, the reason is some bad luck or narrow points difference) and being a serious challenger for the CL deserves sacking IMO.

A 3rd place finish with a semi final elimination from the CL but never feeling like we could actually do more would still for me feel like he should be sacked. With this squad, it's mandatory to challenge for the big trophies. That's it.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
To only be back here again, in this exact same situation, in 3-4 months’ time, in our never-ending cycle of false dawns?

No, ta.

It’s blunt. It’s harsh. But he’s had more than enough time to build his squad, design a style of play and implement his ideas, and we continually come back to this point once or twice a season. I’m simply sick of it and the time has finally come for him to go.

There is no other option, no “What can he do?” to change that. He has to go.

Redfrog

He won’t anyway. We need a fresh start with someone who knows what he is doing. Most of us can’t wait for something else. The line has been crossed. There is no come back for Ole. Most of us don’t believe anymore.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
To turn it around? Start winning, fix the defence and make us very hard to beat whilst being potent in attack. And he'd have to do it immediately.
Would you not just be waiting for the next downturn? Not saying you don't enjoy the highs, the journey, but wouldn't a part of you just be thinking "how long til it falls to shite again?"

Oranges038

So many threads on the same stuff..... so lets have another one to see the same stuff posted.

Flexdegea

Start winning consistently, stop making stupid decisions.

Most importantly sort out the defence - then win some trophies.

Same here.

Need to do something ASAP

Hope we can turn it around this Saturday, big ask looking at how we are defending but need some sort of confidence boast. This is bigger than Ole at the moment, need to do something now

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Would you not just be waiting for the next downturn? Not saying you don't enjoy the highs, the journey, but wouldn't a part of you just be thinking "how long til it falls to shite again?"
Yeah. I'm Ole out, was just answering the question.

OmarUnited4ever

i don't think Ole has the capacity to turn it around, so if he remains, I wouldn't expect him to turn it around.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Victory in next 3 should also not secure his job. Defeat should mean sack. By December mid if we are not near the top then he should be sacked. This is results business and we should act like a club which doesn’t accept mediocrity.

Only thing that can save his job this year is run of 10-12 winning game streak ( with few draws here and there).

Laurencio

What he said. He also has to win a trophy this season. If he can do the above that gives him a stay of execution until next season, but if he fails to win anything he should be replaced anyway. We can't afford a nothing season again next season, if he can't win now, it's too big of a risk to keep him on next season - because he probably won't be able to do it next season either. We can't have a manager who makes a team become incapable of understanding the fundamentals of football out of the blue - confuses players with random new tactical instructions and fail to coach the players in said tactics, especially if it costs us a chance at winning trophies.

If he wins a trophy I would understand if the board considered keeping him - but I feel that even a title challenge without any trophies to show for it is too little too late after the abysmal showing of the past few weeks. Mostly because if he actually manages to challenge for the title - but fail to win it - after this, it proves that we probably would have won if not for incompetent management at the beginning of the season. Which is not a very good reason to keep a manager.

Redfrog

Some people saying win the next two or three…do that makes the 1 point in 4 games right in the league ? And if we then lose the next 3 will it be alright because he won 3 before ?

That’s why I want him gone now. Nothing will make this kind of run right. We will win nothing under Ole. How more years and millions does he need to prove you that we are going nowhere under him ?

USREDEVIL

Keeping him will only significantly reduce the amount of wins/trophies we get in the long run. Need to look at the big picture and not the "next 3 or 10 games."

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Honestly I don't think he can turn it around. He has had a ton of money and a lot more time than his pedigree deserves. If we win all our matches somehow for the rest of the year then we still will have seen great form not amount to anything before. We've seen a team do well in periods and then crumble as soon as we're in touching distance of something real. Faith should be at zero.

Ole and his team don't deserve that fans discuss how he can turn things around. He needs to bring miracles before the discussion is worth having, as things are now it's like we've just got slapped in the face and a discussion would be like turning the other cheek.

FerociousCorgis

not even about winning or losing. we have looked like shit for a while now. No tactical gameplan week in and week out. No consistent way of playing, no signs of anything being figured out anytime soon.