What does Mourinho need to do to deserve another season?

Masterman

Honestly, nothing. I have seen enough of Mourinho to know that he can win the league next season but then the season after that will be a disaster as he gets into fights with his own players. Is he a manager who can leave a lasting legacy in the club? I don't think so.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's not touched on the things that need improving enough by a long way, in what will be three seasons. So I don't expect enough to change to make it worth keeping him. That's what it comes down to for me. It's all well and good saying give someone time, but if they've not used the time well enough that they've had then what are we expected to happen?
Creating a decent system doesn't take that long. Sorting the holes in our team should've taken about that long but we still have the same issues.

Eric's Seagull

In my eyes there is nothing he can do this season for me to want him here, I still want him to go, regardless how well we do this season. I'm sick of all the negativity surrounding him.

In the boards eyes if he gets us to top 4, I think they might give him another year. Although if that does happen I can see another summer like last one and next season we will be in a similar situation like this possibly minus Pogba and Martial.

edgar allan

In my eyes there is nothing he can do this season for me to want him here, I still want him to go, regardless how well we do this season. I'm sick of all the negativity surrounding him.

In the boards eyes if he gets us to top 4, I think they might give him another year. Although if that does happen I can see another summer like last one and next season we will be in a similar situation like this possibly minus Pogba and Martial.
If we take Chelsea apart tomorrow with a display of attacking football not seen since the days Ronaldo used to play for us then I am willing to give him a few more weeks grace.

Greck

Top 4 shouldn't even be enough to retain him but if it was, it's looking difficult to achieve. We've exhausted our freebie losses/draws this early in the season all without playing the tough fixtures. People talking about the league when one more draw or loss will have us three games out of the top 4. We could spend months trying to claw back that gap

RedB4ndiT

Nothing.

Absolutely no way we can win the league with Liverpool's overhaul in the summer. We got lucky to be second last year but we were a far second place. We need a new manager and a squad overhaul to compete with City and Liverpool.

Eric's Seagull

If we take Chelsea apart tomorrow with a display of attacking football not seen since the days Ronaldo used to play for us then I am willing to give him a few more weeks grace.
I hope we beat Chelsea with a display of scintillating attacking football, although I can not see it happening.
If we do well some will be praising him and how he produced a masterclass and forget all the negativity that has surrounded him all season.

redIndianDevil

I was just reading a BBC report which has Mourinho's win % at United as 60.31% and Fergusons as 59.67% so rather than having a bad record here it's maybe more a case of other teams improving - the Premier League being tougher at the top and also the style of play being so dull and negative and his attitude - relationships with players etc.

However, I have to say Ferguson has that win % and was winning titles, you have to wonder if it's about which games you're losing and when. Jose has to win a title. He wasn't brought here for pretty football. He has to win the league, and I don't think he will. No point changing things mid-season and more than the manager has to change anyway so things have to be done at the right time.

He should be here till the end of the season, or round about the end until there's nothing to play for then be gone.
If Jose Mourinho continues for a couple more years, that 60.3 win percentage will come down like a house of cards.

Canagel

No i meant for the rest of the season. If from now or say post january until the end of the season we put in title winning form then the board will accept our start as a bump in the road. If not he'll probably be gone.
fair enough if we showed title winning form from now until the end of the season climbing our way up the table whilst playing attacking football he would deserve the next season and yes we could put the start down as a blip in form but we have no indication of that happening. In fact we have some indications that once the downward spiral of negative results begins there's nothing he can do to arrest it. We've had a very kind start to the season in terms of fixtures actually. really we should be top of the league with the games we've had.

Bearded One

I want him to do well with us but it is unlikely that things will get much better than this. I still am hopeful though and so I want him to firstly have a good idea about his best 11 and then build from there. If we finish within top 2 or 3 then he deserves another shot to consolidate what he has begun to build.

edgar allan

I hope we beat Chelsea with a display of scintillating attacking football, although I can not see it happening.
If we do well some will be praising him and how he produced a masterclass and forget all the negativity that has surrounded him all season.
Your right and although it is very very unlikely we keep hoping.

SAFMUTD

Being realistic all he needs is to end the season with a UCL spot. Maybe not what us, the fans, want but is certainly enough for the board.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not even sure winning the CL or the premier league will be enough for me to want Jose to stay on for another year. There are so many problems surrounding the club at present, the vast majority of which can be attributed to Jose one way or another.

Clearly, he is not the right man to lead the club forward.

Greck

Beating Chelsea would even still be business as usual. Occasional spirited win against a big team then back to looking uninspired against the Crystal palaces the week after

RooneyLegend

At this point we've seen what he can bring to the club and it's not what we're looking for. Just get rid of him, we'll find someone eventually, and stick to him.

JeffBoomTetris

Only those with personal agendas really think it's all black and white as results. If you demand better football even when you win, you should also understand that sometimes you lose, not because you're worse but because the team is in a terrible patch of form and confidence, which is the case.
Problem is this terrible patch of form has dragged on for far too long to still be considered a patch of form. If you can't see that, you clearly haven't been following Man United

izec

Premier League and/or Champions League. Neither will happen.

For Ed and the Glazers, top 4 is enough.

Kapardin

Something funny ?

It's what is whole philosophy is based around, it's not his fault more than half of the squad were so set in their ways that they couldn't adapt to it.
He had the money. He bought Blind, AdM, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Martial etc. Its' his fault if the squad he built (or rather, trimmed down) couldn't play his football. Compared to LvG's second season, Jose's style is better, if not by much.

Greck

We won against City and Arsenal away under Jose I think. It wouldn't be business as usual.
Sigh. My point is going from wins against top 6 opponents to struggling against relegation fodder the following week is business as usual for us and why I wouldn't be swayed by a win tomorrow alone. The exact top 6 team or relegation team is irrelevant in this context

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Sigh. My point is going from wins against top 6 opponents to struggling against relegation fodder the following week is business as usual for us and why I wouldn't be swayed by a win tomorrow alone. The exact top 6 team or relegation team is irrelevant in this context
In the context you created it is absolutely irrelevant, I agree. In the reality where we are chasing top 4 it is massive, not to mention it would be great to finally win there. No matter how you feel about Jose.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
He had the money. He bought Blind, AdM, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Martial etc. Its' his fault if the squad he built (or rather, trimmed down) couldn't play his football. Compared to LvG's second season, Jose's style is better, if not by much.
We're seriously going off thread here, but the players he brought in could adapt, that's why he signed them, it was the players, with the exception of Mike Smalling(who came into the game late and not so set in his ways) he inherited that couldn't, christ he had players like Rooney who thought if he ran around a lot and looked busy people wouldn't notice he didn't have a clue what he was actually doing, yet the younger lads new to the team(Lingard, Rashford et al)embraced it.

Minimalist

I think it's impossible for him to turn it around. That's not an exaggeration at all.

The football isn't going to change. His management both on and off the pitch won't change. Even if we make the top four (and I think we'd barely make it if we do), it's just not good enough for the money he's spent and the wages we're paying him.

James Peril

He needs to buy the right players in January, then I’d be interested again. Not only talking about a defender, but a right winger and a new attacker. Perhaps something extra special in midfield, it’s not like Matic would get into any top, top team these days. I love Matic, don’t get me wrong, but we can’t allow ourselves to see his decline from now until he’s 35. No new, top players - no chance for progress, no excitement. Our team simply isn’t good enough, it’s his job to make it better. Lukaku is the end of Mourinho and any other manager that dares to play him every single game.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The only way he should stay is if he suddenly ceases to be Jose Mourinho. I view that as quite unlikely, so he needs to go.

There is no benefit to keeping him. Would genuinely rather see what the current coaches can do than have his miserable, dour football for another 90 minutes.

E-mal

He is done as a top end coach, the game has passed him by.

Gordon S

LvG gave us an fa cup and cl football, didn't mean much because the football was devoid of enjoyment.
Jose got us to second place last season, i was still unsure if he was the right man for this job.
It's not about getting to a certain position in the league for me. It's everything else.

He's reached the top, he's the manager at the biggest club in the world! He should be proud, and happy. He should want to represent this great club the best way possible. With dignity and pride, respect for the club. Instead he takes every opportunity to get digs in at everyone, his own players, Woodward, refs, united legends, media. Acting like an angry narcissistic teenager. He's got one the best squads in the league but he's acting like he's got a squad full of championship players. Saying the second place last year was the biggest achivement of his career??

The different treatment of the players.
Mctominay seems like decent lad, good professional attitude and all, but he is nowhere near good enough for our first team right now. But Jose is praising him like he's the next Roy Keane. He even plays him in defence ahead of natural cb's.
Lukaku always plays despite showing poor form for months. Matic plays despite poor form. Fellaini seems to be a favourite player despite being a rather average player.

Smaller, quicker, more technical players like Mata, Pereira, and Martial can have one below average game and then they're on the bench or not in the team at all next couple of games. Seems to be similar treatment for Fred.

But all that wouldn't matter much if the football was a joy to watch, but it isn't.
Negative, defensive, passive, disjointed.

Really hope he can work out how to get the best of our players, soon. Starting tomorrow wouldn't hurt.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
If he can get Jones to win the Ballon D'Or, I'd give him a 10yr extension just for the sheer hilarity of it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We're seriously going off thread here, but the players he brought in could adapt, that's why he signed them, it was the players, with the exception of Mike Smalling(who came into the game late and not so set in his ways) he inherited that couldn't, christ he had players like Rooney who thought if he ran around a lot and looked busy people wouldn't notice he didn't have a clue what he was actually doing, yet the younger lads new to the team(Lingard, Rashford et al)embraced it.
The same Rooney he made club captain and refused to drop, no matter how badly he played? Poor Louis. None of what happened could possibly be blamed on him.

You’re also taking complete horseshit about the players he signed all being able to adapt to his approach and, hence, not part of the problem. They were all fecking disasters. Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Depay. What did you see in their performances for United that spoke to you of players hand-picked to execute his famous “philosophy”? Almot all of his best players were already at the club when he arrived.

AndyJ1985

You've gotta love all the hypothetical and completely unrealistic questions that are raised on here.