What formation best suits the squad?

Bojan11

The one where Pogba is nearest to the goal so when he loses the ball it’s not near our back line and he’s also capable of getting a goal.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ffs - not sure how many times this has to be said:
DDG
Back 4
Scott Matic/Fred
Greenwood Pogba James
Martial.
Not playing Pogba in #10 is criminal.

NoPace

The answer is that we buy or get a loan for a midfielder in January. Someone like Rakitic who can't get a game at the moment wouldn't cost a big loan fee and could do well here for 4 months.

James--Martial/Rashford--Greenwood
------Pogba----Rakitic--------------
---------McTominay----------------
Shaw-Maguire-Tuanzebe-WanBissaka
-----------DeGea---------------------

It's hardly that exciting but the wingers are real threats, Pogba would have some cover to feck around and we'd stop giving up the occasional Lindelof gets beaten in the air goal.

For now, I think you plug Fred in as the 6 and push McTominay further forward.

Noc-Z

ffs
4-3-3

------------------DE GEA---------------------------
WAN-BISSAKA---LINDELOF---MAGUIRE---SHAW
-------------MCTOMINAY-----FRED---------------
------------------------POGBA---------------------
LINGARD------------------------------------JAMES
----------------------MARTIAL---------------------

Best I can come up with given the state of the squad. And I don't really want Lingard in there but it's the best I can come up with. He should be replaced ASAP, it's a long time since we had a proper RW!

Lee565

It certainly ain't 4231, why is he persisting with this crap when it ain't working for God sake.

AneRu

I think 3-4-3, it allows us to play Pogba and Mctominay without the need for a DM or a No.10 who we do not have. Three forwards in James, Martial and Greenwood/Rashford should be able to create and score enough with Pogba having the room to venture up the pitch without completely isolating Mctominay.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ffs - not sure how many times this has to be said:
DDG
Back 4
Scott Matic/Fred
Greenwood Pogba James
Martial.
Not playing Pogba in #10 is criminal.
Always love reading posts like these

Charles Miller

4-14-1

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Mctominay
Rashford Mata Pogba James
Martial​

Gator Nate

4-3-3 with Mctominay-Pogba-Fred in midfield, James and Rashford on the flanks, Martial/Greenwood upfront.
Just go back to 433, enough of this 4231 bullshite

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Mctominay Fred Pogba
Rashford Martial/Greenwood James​
4-3-3 seems to be the dominant idea around here and that lineup is hard to disagree with.

The real issue is that we don't have a true, solid CDM, one that can free up McT and Pogba to do what they're better at - attack. Something I keep seeing and I don't like is how our guys stack up across the top of the 18 yard box and don't drive in. Even some of our corners yesterday seemed directed at the D rather than into the box.

Jibbs

..............DDG...........
AWB....Lindelof..... Maguire....Shaw
...........Tuanzebe...McT.................
...............Pogba.........................
James.........Martial...........Rashford

Lee565

Until January 352 or 41212 as our wing options are average and that includes James but even our fullbacks are average on the ball in Bissaka and shaw.

--bissaka-Maguire-rojo
---------------tuanzebe
Pereira-mctominay-pogba-fred
----------rashford--martial

AdamAdams

I think we need to try something different. I've felt we should play 3 at the back for a while, especially when we have struggled for wingers. The other formation that I think will suit us is a 442 diamond that we used a few times last year. Think it helps get the best out of Pogba. At the moment I'd give James & Greenwood a chance up top, with Martial hopefully coming back in when fit. Rashford needs a spell on the bench.

Fer

In a midfield of 3, who do you want next to Pogba and Mctominay?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Who honestly gives a feck anymore.

There’s no ideal team selection or formation that’s going to sort this lot out.

There is a basic lack of fundamental football skill, knowledge and application.

criticalanalysis

In a midfield of 3, who do you want next to Pogba and Mctominay?
The most obvious one would be Matic with him and McTominay told to work hard in the middle and tasked to close down the counters on the wings as we'll ask the full backs to provide width.

Secure the midfield, let the whole team play properly. None of this no.10 shite with Lingard or Mata.

I'd rather we have dry dour possession control and slow build up play than fumble our way around because it's essentially 4-2-4 every game.

Sir Scott McToMinay

5-3-2

DDG

Shaw/Young
Lindelof/Rojo
Maguire
Tuanzebe/Jones
AWB/Dalot

Pogba/Matic
McTominay
Lingard/Fred

Martial/James
Rashford/Greenwood

Sit deep, let the other team have the ball, forget about the midfield and hoof that shit to our quick forwards on the counter.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Any formation other than what we’ve been using recently.
We should use one that has our players playing forward when in possession.

CR1

I wonder if the formation that suits the squad best right now could be the 5-3-2?

I was mulling over this formation around the start of the season but decided that it maybe shouldn't be the first choice formation since it feels a bit excessive to play with three CBs after Varane has just been purchased. So I put it down as the third or maybe fourth choice formation.

But then I saw a comment on here, don't remember where or by whom, that I think was about how Dalot played well against YB and could work well in a wing-back position. Got me thinking again. Obviously on the left there are good options for WBs as well in Shaw and Telles.

Then there's the problematic number 6 position where we lack a specialized first choice player. So maybe playing three CBs could temporarily nullify the need for having a 6 altogether?

Finally, the 5-3-2 would enable Ole to start Ronaldo and Cavani together at the same time...

Ronaldo Cavani
Fernandes
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Lindelof Dalot
Ddg

– 3 CBs play out from the back to the WBs or MFs
– WBs go foward and cross low, hard and early for Ronaldo and Cavani
– Rinse and repeat
– Pogba and McTominay can both play box to box due to having three CBs

This is a formation/line-up I could really see potentially work very well. A drawback for me is that Greenwood and Rashford are excluded from the starting eleven, but on the other hand Ronaldo and Cavani wouldn't be able to play 90 minutes every game, far from it, so Greenwood and Rashford could easily get both starts and sub appearances. Could end up being like Cole&Yorke and Solskjaer&Sheringham - four strikers/forwards for two positions.

Another drawback for me would be not having McFred but like I said, with three CBs you perhaps don't need a 6? Plus, 6 isn't Fred's best position anyway and when needed he could be brought on for Pogba or someone.

At the very least I would like to see this formation tried a few times when everyone's fit. Especially in the CL.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I wonder if the formation that suits the squad best right now could be the 5-3-2?

I was mulling over this formation around the start of the season but decided that it maybe shouldn't be the first choice system since it feels a bit excessive to play with three CBs after Varane has just been purchased. So I put it down as the third or maybe fourth choice formation.

But then I saw a comment on here, don't remember where or by whom, that I think was about how Dalot played well against YB and could work well in a wing-back position. Got me thinking again. Obviously on the left there are good options for WBs as well in Shaw and Telles.

Then there's the problematic number 6 position where we lack a specialized first choice player. So maybe playing three CBs could temporarily nullify the need for having a 6 altogether?

Finally, the 5-3-2 would enable Ole to start Ronaldo and Cavani together at the same time...

Ronaldo Cavani
Fernandes
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Lindelof Dalot
Henderson

– 3 CBs play out from the back to the WBs or MFs
– WBs go foward and cross for Ronaldo and Cavani
– Rinse and repeat
– Pogba and McTominay can both play box to box due to having three CBs

This is a formation/line-up I could really see potentially work very well. A drawback for me are that Greenwood and Rashford are excluded from the starting eleven, but on the other hand Ronaldo and Cavani wouldn't be able to play 90 minutes every game, far from it, so Greenwood and Rashford could easily get both starts and sub appearances. Could end up being like Cole&Yorke and Solskjaer&Sheringham - four strikers/forwards for two positions.

Another drawback for me would be not having McFred but like I said, with three CBs you perhaps don't need a 6? Plus, 6 isn't Fred's best position anyway and in cas case he could brought on for Poga or someone when needed.

At the very least I would like to see this formation tried a few times when everyone's fit. Especially in the CL.
Why would you play 5-3-2 and go deliberately narrow when your right full back is not good on the ball and you have 5 quality options for the wing?

Moby

Dick
Spend two summers crying for a winger. Spend a fortune on one and play a formation without wingers. That's not even including the two world class young talents we have already both of whom play in wide positions.

CR1

Why would you play 5-3-2 and go deliberately narrow when your right full back is not good on the ball and you have 5 quality options for the wing?
Well, I mention at least 3-4 reasons in my post. And I think it could be worth a try to see how Dalot does in that formation.

Spend two summers crying for a winger. Spend a fortune on one and play a formation without wingers. That's not even including the two world class young talents we have already both of whom play in wide positions.
I think rotation, flexibility and finding a role for each player in the squad is key this season, especially after the re-signing of Ronaldo. Just because I'm arguing in favour of trying out a formation doesn't mean I think it should necessarily be used in every game. Any formation and line-up will have players left out of it that you can make a case for should be in it, that's inevitable with size of the present squad right now.

Don't know who you're referring to with "crying for a winger" but I have done no such thing. I wanted to prioritise CDM/DLP and back-up RB ahead of a new RW. In the end I wasn't against the Sancho signing, I'm just not convinced he will make it as a big star at United. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. In any case I could see him becoming a good (and expensive) squad player. I certainly think he could be useful in breaking down low blocks. Right now the team as a whole is struggling to get out of first or second gear which doesn't help Sancho. I think he's someone you can add to a team that is already playing well, don't think he is type a player that will take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Which two world class talents are you talking about? I think Rashford and Greenwood are world class talents, Sancho is a top class talent. I mentioned how Rashford and Greenwood could get gametime in the 5-3-2 and Sancho could still play when another formation is used.

And Hendo in goal... Criminal suggestions
Honest mistake on my part (now changed). Although I do rate Henderson and think he should eventually succeed Ddg, I still have Ddg as my first choice GK for the time being.

Crashoutcassius

The one we play. Get two of rashford, greenwood, Sancho on the wings, and get Bruno close to goal where he's been one of the best players in the world the last 18 months. Ronaldo CF most games, cavani others. Some combo in centre mid depending on the game.

CR1

I think this is our best formation/line-up:

(Rashford or Pogba) (Ronaldo or Cavani) (Greenwood or Sancho)
Fernandes
Fred Mctominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Ddg

It is the blueprint I would use for most games. Obviously with some rotation, such as Vdb for Mctominay and Matic for Fred etc.

My reasons for suggesting to try the 5-3-2 above is that it does *suit the squad* (thread title) quite well when you consider we could start Ronaldo and Cavani together, potentially nullify the need for a 6 which we lack anyway and also use Dalot and Shaw/Telles as wing-backs. Ronaldo and Cavani could still start together in other formations as well if you put Ronaldo as a (false) left forward, though.

Here are some other posts/threads where I've outlines ideas for the best formation:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/with-ronaldo-how-do-we-line-up.465057/page-3#post-27715762
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ronaldo-potential-signing-implications.465023/page-3#post-27690210

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
We dont have fullbacks that suits 532, and we dont have a DM good enough for 433 + Bruno is best used as a 10, not an 8, so 4321 is best suited for our squad.

OleBoiii

As long as we want to play with a free-flowing front 3(which I think is ideal anyways) and Bruno remains a world class goal threat, then I think that our current system is the best.

That also means that McFred is my midfield of choice until we sign someone better. Matic can't be our first choice because of his age and lack of mobility. DVB has not impressed me. Pogba is a liability in that position unless he has someone like Kante to cover a million acres of space.

Last edited:

Adcuth

Would be interested to see this. Bodies in the middle. Ronny and Greenwood can drift wide allowing space for Bruno through the middle. Pogba can get forward and Donny playing box to box. Width can come from the full backs.

Ronaldo Greenwood​

Bruno​

Pogba Mctominay Donny​

Shaw Maguire Varane Dalot​

De Gea​

Siorac

We are absolutely stacked with attackers so no @CR1, the formation that utilises the lowest possible number of them is not a great idea. You want to play to your strengths, as opposed to trying to cover your weaknesses.

Highfather_24

Suggesting playing with 2 forwards, when we have 7 forwards(Cavani, Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Lingard) at the club, is just asinine.

dutchred

Rashford Ronaldo Greenwood

Pogba Mctominay Bruno

Shaw Maguire Varane Dalot

De Gea

Play to or strengths not try to cover up the weakness, Use the old Busby philosophy always score more than the opposition. Win 5 3 instead of drawing 1 1

MadMike

I think we saw our best starting XI and formation at the weekend.

In games where we're pressing for a goal or expected to dominate, we can throw Pogba in the middle with one of Matic/McTominay/Fred while putting Rashford on the LW. That's about it. Sancho, Cavani, Lingard are bench players for now.

MattyLT

Do the thing that works. Fred + McTominay works, and against some great opposition too. Also, Bruno is such a productive nr. 10 that there's no way you can move him around. 4-2-3-1 all the way for me, it's what the squad is built for. Even solves the Pogba conundrum, as he's shown he can produce from LW, and works well with Shaw. I want Pogba upfield without sacrificing Bruno's role, and 4-2-3-1 provides just that.

MadMike

Rashford Ronaldo Greenwood

Pogba Mctominay Bruno

Shaw Maguire Varane Dalot

De Gea

Play to or strengths not try to cover up the weakness, Use the old Busby philosophy always score more than the opposition. Win 5 3 instead of drawing 1 1
Bruno has not played as a CM for us, it's doubtful he's suited for it and that he will ever play for us there (bar major injuries).

Also, this is a less attacking formation than 4-2-3-1

dutchred

Bruno has not played as a CM for us, it's doubtful he's suited for it and that he will ever play for us there (bar major injuries).

Also, this is a less attacking formation than 4-2-3-1
I don't see how it is less attacking since we are playing with 3 forwards instead of 2

MadMike

I don't see how it is less attacking since we are playing with 3 forwards instead of 2
2? When we play 4-2-3-1 we often play with 3 forwards too. Like Rashford-Cavani-Greenwood last year, or Sancho-Ronaldo-Greenwood this year.

And technically speaking, the way Bruno plays in the current 4-2-3-1, it almost becomes a 4-2-4.

Average positions vs Newcastle for reference (below). See how Bruno is ending up next to Ronaldo and far from the Pogba-Matic midfield.

4-3-3 is a demonstrably less attacking system than this. We play all out attack. It's almost 2-4-4 in fact.

dutchred

2? When we play 4-2-3-1 we often play with 3 forwards too. Like Rashford-Cavani-Greenwood last year, or Sancho-Ronaldo-Greenwood this year.

And technically speaking, the way Bruno plays in the current 4-2-3-1, it almost becomes a 4-2-4.

Average positions vs Newcastle for reference (below). See how Bruno is ending up next to Ronaldo and far from the Pogba-Matic midfield.

4-3-3 is a demonstrably less attacking system than this. We play all out attack. It's almost 2-4-4 in fact.
This was a one off as both Mac and Fred were unavailable. We frequently play with both Fred and Mac leaving us with 2 forwards. Unless you consider Bruno a forward which I don't as I see him as a midfielder. Anyway different opinions