Ronaldo potential signing implications

predator

Youth NITK
Pogba will sign a new contract but was always going to before ronaldo came, as I've always said.

Cavani will be desperate to stay longer than first thought.

Our players will up their game and competition will be rife.

Players will see this as the last opportunity to play alongside ronaldo which will attract many players.

Basically no one will want to leave us and players will want to sign for us.

There are no cons to signing a 36 year old ronaldo.

Actually City rejected Ronaldo. He was their first choice and was offered to them by Juve/Ronaldo.
Yeah, according to the City journos :lol:

According to everybody else, as soon as SAF picked up the phone it was game over.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Someone will have to be sold or leave on loan, as we can’t register everyone for PL and CL currently.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think Sunday was Martial's last chance tbh. That performance sealed his fate.

Could see Cavani maybe leaving in January if he doesn't play much.

Indnyc

Someone will have to be sold or leave on loan, as we can’t register everyone for PL and CL currently.
GK: DDG, Henderson, Heaton

Def: AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Varane, Bailly, Jones, Shaw, Dalot, Telles

Mid: Fred, Pogba, McT, Fernandes, VDB, Matic, Mata,

Forwards: James, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Lingard

Believe Greenwood doesn't need to be registered as he is under 21

That's 26. Do you know what the rules are for the PL/CL squads?

Edit: Added Telles - We are at least 1 player over the limit.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

I don't think there is much knock on except we are probably tighter on wages for the coming few seasons, might mean we have to move on some bigger earners like martial

davidmichael

Jones, Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Martial are now not needed at all and I’d do all I can to move them on before next week.

I never understood the new contract for Mata seeing we’d signed Sancho and also Diallo last season but I honestly think we could move Lingard and Martial on for around £50 million combined which is also a saving of £400K a week in wages too.

RedCurry

Actually City rejected Ronaldo. He was their first choice and was offered to them by Juve/Ronaldo.
Yeah the mighty Man City rejected both Messi and Ronaldo, two of the GOATs, in the same window.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jones, Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Martial are now not needed at all and I’d do all I can to move them on before next week.

I never understood the new contract for Mata seeing we’d signed Sancho and also Diallo last season but I honestly think we could move Lingard and Martial on for around £50 million combined which is also a saving of £400K a week in wages too.
Something tells me that Jones has not been in anyone's equation for more than 2 seasons, and you're not going to get £25m for Jesse in this climate

Brophs

The One and Only
Having Ronaldo, the best header of a ball in football, up front makes buying Trippier an even better idea.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
We sign Ronaldo, boost our attacking options only to let a class player like Cavani go.

That logic..

Then the same people will complain we don't have the quality in depth like City etc.

Inigo Montoya

I don't think Ronnie will play every game and Cavani won't either. Moreover, injuries happen and if we go deep in every competition we'll need everyone
Midweek - weekend rotation for them. My guess is that Ron will play UCL and if we are playing Norwich or a Watford standard team in the PL or Cup Cavani will play. If the UCL is a dead rubber, no doubt that could change

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Will it make your deadwood more reluctant to leave now?

Inigo Montoya

We sign Ronaldo, boost our attacking options only to let a class player like Cavani go.

That logic..

Then the same people will complain we don't have the quality in depth like City etc.
Cavani only agreed to a one year extension and his game time has to be managed. Ronaldo has no such issues with fitness

youmeletsfly

I really hope some of them players in the dressing room will pick up his mad work hard attitude, that's the best thing about him and the best thing the others should learn off him.

Inigo Montoya

Will it make your deadwood more reluctant to leave now?
Interesting conundrum for the likes of James,Lingard and to some extent Martial. If they have any playing ambition they should seek that elsewhere or they could sit around and bask in Ronaldo's glory

CR1

Against low block teams I would suggest the following starting eleven now:

Ronaldo Cavani
Pogba Fernandes Sancho
Fred
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Ddg

Pace is not really that important when playing against low block teams. Creativity, movement and technique is. You get that in the form of Pogba, Fernandes and Sancho. Fred to mop up. After you score and the other team is forced to attack you can bring on Rashford and James etc from the bench to hit them on the counter. If you want more pace and work rate from the get go then you let one of them start in place of Pogba or Sancho.

And then against attacking teams I would suggest the following starting eleven:

Rashford Greenwood Sancho
Fernandes
Fred McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Henderson

This is the type of games that you bring on Ronaldo and Cavani from the bench, when you need a bit of experience to see games out. Alternatively, you can of course start one of them ahead of Greenwood and only bring in one of them as a sub. I would also try to play Telles together with Ronaldo and Cavani a bit, as he can give them those low and hard quality crosses into the box even better than Shaw can.

I would consider shifting Martial now, along with Lingard. Lots of players probably need to go out on loan as well. Amad and maybe Elanga come to mind, but there's many more. I don't see them getting much game time otherwise. Squad is pretty bloated but we still need a new CDM/DLP and there's a question mark over who the back-up RB is going to be. If Jones leaves we'll also need a new fifth choice CB.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Personally and i will put my hand up i was again Ronaldo coming back to utd as my previous posts convey. However now that hes back, im glad hes back and its given me hope for the new season.

What ronaldo brings is professionalism in spades. An example of what it takes to get to the top and stay there. Like Cantona and Ibra, younger players will learn from him and the standards he sets.

The downside is that hes 36 years old, cant play and start every game. Hopefully Ole can be smart and manage him to get the best out of him like fergie did with giggs and scholes. Though Ronaldo's fitness is such that he will probably be ok.

His lack of pressing is counter to that of how Cavani plays but it gives us a nice different option up front.

I can see Utd allowing someone to leave to get some money back in. Maybe Martial or Lingaard or even Pogba (if Mbappe goes to madrid).

How Ole tactically gets the team working around Ronaldo remains to be seen. Wehave him for 2 seasons on paper. A PL title would be nice if its possible. A CL final and win would be even better.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
GK: DDG, Henderson, Heaton

Def: AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Varane, Bailly, Jones, Shaw, Dalot, Telles

Mid: Fred, Pogba, McT, Fernandes, VDB, Matic, Mata,

Forwards: James, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Lingard

Believe Greenwood doesn't need to be registered as he is under 21

That's 26. Do you know what the rules are for the PL/CL squads?

Edit: Added Telles - We are at least 1 player over the limit.
Yeah, there’s some slight differences. Amad could be a U21 in PL but not for UEFA, because they have to have been with the club for a couple of years before a certain age to qualify. Greenwood qualifies as U21 for both.

hobbers

We're at least 2 players over the squad limit by my reckoning. Also we now have all these players for the front 4 positions (obviously Pogba can and will play deeper).

Ronaldo
Cavani
Bruno
Pogba
Sancho
Greenwood
Rashford
---------------------------
Lingard - 80k
James - 45k
Amad - 30k
Martial - 250k
Mata - 160k

About £580k a week for players who aren't even good enough to make the bench with everyone fit.

Makes giving Mata that extension look especially stupid now. But obviously Lingard and Martial are the ones we desperately need to get rid of.

Last edited:

Polar

Implication: Pogba stays and Haaland signs for United (January 2022) :cool:

MrSingh2002

Permanently sold this week:
Lingard
Martial
Dalot

Loaned
Amad

Signed
Trippier
Neves

Indnyc

Yeah, there’s some slight differences. Amad could be a U21 in PL but not for UEFA, because they have to have been with the club for a couple of years before a certain age to qualify. Greenwood qualifies as U21 for both.
Yeah.. So Amad goes out on loan.. One of James/Martial/Lingard gets sold or loaned out

Potentially 2 players if we want to bring in a midfielder

Mr Smith

We should definitely sell Lingard to free up wages, he's not going to play. Offer West Ham 15 mil and they'll take it. I'd like to see us sell Martial but I don't believe there's a buyer out there.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Hard to see how this all plays out. Certainly warms the fan base towards Glazers. Ups the hype. Hopefully there’s unity of purpose with the influence of Bruno magnified. He should still take penalties. Cavani should keep his shirt. Ronaldo should be cleverly used for max effect. Takes a bit of limelight off Pogba, who’s already shaping up well. Hopefully we see the whole team lifted by this.

Hopefully we see great football, goals and (good) drama galore.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One of the implications I think are it's going to be ever harder to get rid of players for this season :lol: All of them like Lingard or James will want to stay even as fringe players just to share the squad with Ronaldo for 1 season before they complain about regular football.

Dread Devil

I think Cavani might be gone now….from what I can understand he wants to play for Uruguay and there seems to be 5 or 6 occasions…add 5 - 6 weeks quarantine on top of transatlantic flights back and forward to the UK to the equation and it might not seem that inviting for him…he is a family man and needed convincing to stay in the first place….I hope he does stay and if he doesn’t, he gets a good send off at Old Trafford….but wonder about the logistics of it all….

beingshe7don

It would be foolish to keep Cavani after getting Ronaldo. Ronaldo would want to play as a No. 9 in most games and we can't have Cavani earning 250k/ week on the bench like last year where he didn't really play a lot of games due to injury, suspension, and so on. Lingard definitely has to leave for West Ham. The other one which I'm debating about is Martial. I may keep him for a season or have him loaned to Juve with an obligation to buy him for 40m. I think it's essential we remove the high-paying deadwood out of the club. The arrival of Sancho and Ronaldo is gonna get him sulking even more.

Red00012

Pereira is gone already albeit on a loan

DoomSlayer

I know people want us to keep buying players like it's a game, but we need to also sell players, because now the squad is too bloated. Signing Ronaldo means we can't keep passengers on the wage bill, especially when they earn a fortune.

Mr Smith

Don't listen to the City press briefing. We did the same thing when Griezmann turned us down. All reputable journos and The Athletic are saying that City had decided to sign him, but that Ronaldo made a u-turn after hearing United were interested and speaking to SAF/Rio.