What happened Aguero?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
3 months out aged 33 with cardiac issues is retirement material.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to keep going until the WC with Argentina having a good chance in it. Qatar isn't exactly the ideal place to test treatment effectiveness though. May get selected to just go hang around, experience, team spirit and all that, but unlikely to get anywhere near kicking a ball.
From how I read the post, it is three months of monitoring and not even when they expect him to play again. I'd imagine that means he can't train much (if at all.) That would consequently mean more like 4 months minimum until he can play again if all goes well (hopefully it does.)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Shame seems like to be a lovely lad

Hope he gets well soon as I enjoy seeing him play ( his affiliation notwithstanding)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
From how I read the post, it is three months of monitoring and not even when they expect him to play again. I'd imagine that means he can't train much (if at all.) That would consequently mean more like 4 months minimum until he can play again if all goes well (hopefully it does.)
Yeah, sure, I'd say four is optimistic actually and next thing you know it's business end of the season.

The upside is Barca will not be in any sort of business or else you could pretty much write off the entire season.

Even if all goes well it will be tight for a Qatar callup, and whatever the outcome I'd expect him to retire by next Christmas. It's just not worth the risk really.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Would have thought Barca did thorough medicals when they signed him?

Hopefully he plays again but possible his Barca career will be 5 games and one goal... probably not what they were hoping to get for 8 million in wages.

Fingers crossed he is OK and that his health is put first

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Fortunately, this seems under control and aptly monitored now. Of course we are not going to know anything in depth about the causes, but in case the doctors find them to be Covid-related (illness, long symptoms, vaccine), I think the public interest in saying a bit more may prevail?

spiriticon

How has he managed to destroy the Premier League with an underlying heart problem? :eek:

Anyway, jokes about Pep's PEDS wearing off aside, get well soon.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Anyone know if he was vaccinated? It is one of the reported side effects
Would make it the most high profile case. If that was an actual factor, I think they'd do everything possible to keep it under wraps.

Wish him a full and speedy recovery. Awful to hear.

dal

Would make it the most high profile case. If that was an actual factor, I think they'd do everything possible to keep it under wraps.

Wish him a full and speedy recovery. Awful to hear.
If he did get the vaccine must have been risk evaluated.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
If it’s irregular heartbeats it’s possible he may get an ablation and be fine again
I think this is the kind of surgery Kingsley Coman had mid-september. He's was out for roughly a month and is back on the pitch again.
Let's hope it's nothing severe.

Pep's Suit

Anyone know if he was vaccinated? It is one of the reported side effects
Not sure but Aguero tested positive for covid in January and was out for four weeks and then again in April and missed another four weeks so if he was vaccinated it had to happen after COPA, I think.

Offsideagain

May be Atrial Fibrillation or irregular heartbeat. I suffer from this. My heart rate once went up to over 150 bpm whilst I was at the doctors surgery (pre-covid). The doc was shocked, but it settled down to below 90 after twenty seconds or so. The symptoms are exactly as described by Aguero. It’s unpleasant and can be controlled by drugs. I can’t see how he can play football if this is what he has.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
May be Atrial Fibrillation or irregular heartbeat. I suffer from this. My heart rate once went up to over 150 bpm whilst I was at the doctors surgery (pre-covid). The doc was shocked, but it settled down to below 90 after twenty seconds or so. The symptoms are exactly as described by Aguero. It’s unpleasant and can be controlled by drugs. I can’t see how he can play football if this is what he has.
Does it happen anytime or are there aggravating factors ? Stress, exercise ?

Okey

If it's related to what Dr Brugada himself is famous for, and named after, then Kun is so lucky to have already had a great career. It's not usually picked up in medicals. And tends to show up in adulthood. Basically isn't there until it suddenly manifests. Hard to see him carrying on if it's that. Might need a similar device to Eriksen. All speculation of course, but hearing Dr Brugada's name is so very suggestive.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Any update?

interesting that post above as many of my own symptoms didn’t develop till adulthood, such is the way in our family with this genetic abnormality

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
I wish all the best for him, at Leicester we had a player almost die of a heart attack after collapsing on the field in his 20s.

Deery

Dreary
Considering retirement by the looks of things…

Ludens the Red

Does it happen anytime or are there aggravating factors ? Stress, exercise ?
Late response but I recently got diagnosed with arterial fibrillation which explained a number of previous incidents down the years. There’s nothing that particularly triggers it. First time I experienced it was after van Persies winner at the etihad in 2013, and it lasted a day. Had it after having a couple of gin and tonics a few years back then another one started whilst I was asleep. Then the most recent one (which lasted fecking days) was after completing a bench press. The cardiologist said it can be very random and isn’t related to genetics or anything and even said I can carry on drinking, working out etc. But yeah it can be managed with medicine or minor surgery. If that’s what Agueros has he should be able to play on.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Late response but I recently got diagnosed with arterial fibrillation which explained a number of previous incidents down the years. There’s nothing that particularly triggers it. First time I experienced it was after van Persies winner at the etihad in 2013, and it lasted a day. Had it after having a couple of gin and tonics a few years back then another one started whilst I was asleep. Then the most recent one (which lasted fecking days) was after completing a bench press. The cardiologist said it can be very random and isn’t related to genetics or anything and even said I can carry on drinking, working out etc. But yeah it can be managed with medicine or minor surgery. If that’s what Agueros has he should be able to play on.
I don’t personally think it is because it doesn’t take months to diagnose and suggesting early retirement wouldn’t be talked about
It said his heart was racing much faster than but should have been - many reasons for that

Real Name

Poor lad. This on top on numerous injuries which hampered his career. Wish him a speedy recovery. This is serious stuff we're talking about, life threatening.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Or maybe not retiring just yet:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/bar...tirement-decision-amid-heart-problems-sources

The more interesting part of this article, one of the womens' team Caroline Graham Hansen has a problem too, hopefully ok:

Barca suffered another scare last week when it was revealed Caroline Graham Hansen, who plays for the club's women's team, would also need to undergo a cardiac exam.

However, tests revealed that the Norway international's condition is not as serious as Aguero's and she will be reintegrated into training next week.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Glad he's alive and that the situation appears to be under control, but still, very sad news.

El Zoido

It’s sad but at least he was at the tail end of his career. Best of luck to him.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Thats a shame, but you have to prioritize your own health.

Regardless, his career speaks for itself, one of the best strikers the EPL has seen, certainly fulfilled his potential.

cafecillos

It's fine if he has to never play again as long as he recovers and can have a normal life. Fantastic striker and seemed like a nice bloke too.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Thats a shame, but you have to prioritize your own health.

Regardless, his career speaks for itself, one of the best strikers the EPL has seen, certainly fulfilled his potential.
Yes, a great player. Sad news but as others have said, better that he does his best to be healthy for the rest of his life rather than risking anything for football. Especially when he’s already achieved so much.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He gave us the worst moment in our PL history, but you’d struggle to find a United fan who dislikes him. Says it all really, class act and what a player. Such a shame he may have to cut his career short.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He gave us the worst moment in our PL history, but you’d struggle to find a United fan who dislikes him. Says it all really, class act and what a player. Such a shame he may have to cut his career short.
David Luiz might disagree.

Not to jump on his footballing grave or anything, but he does have a dark streak too him as well.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wonderful player and a shame it was for City. I think we'll look back on him like Henry, a great player who was always a thorn in our side