What happened to buying the best players in the Premier League?

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
This might be the strangest post I've ever read. Without large transfer fees and wages nobody on earth is a massive draw. Nobody signs for anyone without the best offer on the table. I mean fecking hell, you as a Chelsea fan should know this. Who the feck would play for Chelsea if they didnt have a rich owner?
Those players were not signing for Chelsea post 2005 onwards for money alone. It was for playing under the best managers in the world and with few of the best players too. Also, there were high chances of winning the league or competing well in the CL both of which United have certainly not been providing in the last 4 seasons now.

BigTimeCharlie

United is no longer a massive draw and has not been for 10 years now. Countless number of players have joined Chelsea or even other clubs in PL when United wanted them. And getting Pogba ( no one would pay 90mn, rightly), Ibra ( a 35 year old who is really not the best striker in PL), Mkhitariyan ( who is really not setting the world alight) are not good transfers at all. Let's look at summer 2015 now - Schneiderlein, Schweinsteiger, Depay...really? 2014- Falaco, Di Maria....:lol::lol::lol: Martial was purely signed by United as no other club the world would pay 59mn for an fairly unknown world class potential player. And look how the Shaw signing turning out to be. He also chose United above Chelsea purely for the wages.

United are easily the biggest club in England. The only reason players join Chelsea are because of the rent boy rumours

FujiVice

Those players were not signing for Chelsea post 2005 onwards for money alone. It was for playing under the best managers in the world and with few of the best players too. Also, there were high chances of winning the league or competing well in the CL both of which United have certainly not been providing in the last 4 seasons now.
Again, you are contradicting your initial point. Without money, Chelsea had no hope of winning the league or Champions League. Ever in fact. They hadnt won the league in about 50 years until Roman Abramovich showed up. And again, with enough money United will also be challenging for honours on all fronts eventually. Because money is the key to everyones success in the long term. That goes for everyone from Real to Barca to United, an influx of capital is the lifeblood of keeping that success going, unless you bring through about 5 or 6 first teamers through the youth team which happens once every few decades.

Not even having a go at Chelsea. You have to spend the money wisey. Its just fact.

Dobbs

Due to the reasons already mentioned if we want EPL talent we'd need to time it better.

Get Lukaku before he goes Everton rather than after. Go for Kane after his first season. If you think Barkley is the real deal go for him now before he hits his prime.

Bit more for a risk that way but this is what the manager and the staff get paid a fortune for, their ability to judge a player.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we can, we should definitely try. It means they're proven and wouldn't really have to worry about players adapting to the EPL. Problem is, it's so hard nowadays, and they prices teams are demanding are ridiculous.

Realistic signings I would say are:

IDRISA GUEYE 15-20M - Only been at Everton for half a season, but he has already showing the kind of signs Kante shown at Leicester. Fantastic ball winner, not only at Everton, but at Villa too. Could be excellent in a double pivot with a more creative player next to him, i.e. Pogba. He and Herrera for the bigger games, with Pogba pushed further forward.

ROMELU LUKAKU 40-45M - Still a bit inconsistent. Always forget he's only 23, but they guy is a proven goalscorer. Would score even more in a United team, in my opinion.

ALEXIS SANCHEZ 25-30M - Very much like the Van Persie situation. Doesn't seem particularly happy at Arsenal. A tempting bid could prize him away.

RIYAD MAHREZ 20-25M - Not had the best season, but his quality is still there. Could be excellent at United. Has the ability to change a game in the blink of an eye.

SEAMUS COLEMAN 15-20M - I like Valencia a lot, but he isn't getting any younger. Coleman would be a ready made replacement.

They're the only realistic ones I can think of, but I definitely agree we should be looking to buy proven Premier League players.

De Gea
Coleman Bailly Jones Shaw
Gueye Pogba
Mahrez Mkhitaryan Sanchez
Lukaku

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
If we can, we should definitely try. It means they're proven and wouldn't really have to worry about players adapting to the EPL. Problem is, it's so hard nowadays, and they prices teams are demanding are ridiculous.

Realistic signings I would say are:

IDRISA GUEYE 15-20M - Only been at Everton for half a season, but he has already showing the kind of signs Kante shown at Leicester. Fantastic ball winner, not only at Everton, but at Villa too. Could be excellent in a double pivot with a more creative player next to him, i.e. Pogba. He and Herrera for the bigger games, with Pogba pushed further forward.

ROMELU LUKAKU 40-45M - Still a bit inconsistent. Always forget he's only 23, but they guy is a proven goalscorer. Would score even more in a United team, in my opinion.

ALEXIS SANCHEZ 25-30M - Very much like the Van Persie situation. Doesn't seem particularly happy at Arsenal. A tempting bid could prize him away.

RIYAD MAHREZ 20-25M - Not had the best season, but his quality is still there. Could be excellent at United. Has the ability to change a game in the blink of an eye.

SEAMUS COLEMAN 15-20M - I like Valencia a lot, but he isn't getting any younger. Coleman would be a ready made replacement.

They're the only realistic ones I can think of, but I definitely agree we should be looking to buy proven Premier League players.

De Gea
Coleman Bailly Jones Shaw
Gueye Pogba
Mahrez Mkhitaryan Sanchez
Lukaku

Are you actually taking the piss with those transfer prices?

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Again, you are contradicting your initial point. Without money, Chelsea had no hope of winning the league or Champions League. Ever in fact. They hadnt won the league in about 50 years until Roman Abramovich showed up. And again, with enough money United will also be challenging for honours on all fronts eventually. Because money is the key to everyones success in the long term. That goes for everyone from Real to Barca to United, an influx of capital is the lifeblood of keeping that success going, unless you bring through about 5 or 6 first teamers through the youth team which happens once every few decades.

Not even having a go at Chelsea. You have to spend the money wisey. Its just fact.
Totally agree with you that money brings success. But not for everyone though. Hence I am giving you Utd's example itself. Spending 120mn last summer and 150mn this summer itself has not brought instant success to United while Chelsea have really not spent that much and are cruising to it. Money is not the end all and be all. Should really be looking at Spurs too. They are doing quite well last 3 seasons without spending much.

coolredwine

lameredboots
United is no longer a massive draw and has not been for 10 years now. Countless number of players have joined Chelsea or even other clubs in PL when United wanted them. And getting Pogba ( no one would pay 90mn, rightly), Ibra ( a 35 year old who is really not the best striker in PL), Mkhitariyan ( who is really not setting the world alight) are not good transfers at all. Let's look at summer 2015 now - Schneiderlein, Schweinsteiger, Depay...really? 2014- Falaco, Di Maria....:lol::lol::lol: Martial was purely signed by United as no other club the world would pay 59mn for an fairly unknown world class potential player. And look how the Shaw signing turning out to be. He also chose United above Chelsea purely for the wages.
Such a weird post.

TheBiggest

This rather hilarious post is made all the more hilarious coming from a Chelsea fan who's club DID offer 90million for Pogba last summer, only for the player to say 'not a chance'.

It's also quite strange that the poster doesn't realise that Chelsea offered Martial MORE money than United but he turned them down to sign for us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-to-sign-for-united-in-36m-move-a6694676.html

Grow up!

finneh

Premier League clubs are significantly richer than their foreign counterparts due to the PL TV deal, so their players will cost significantly more.

For example Everton aren't going to let Lukaku go for under £55-60m. You look abroad for a player of similar quality and they're half the price, albeit not "Premier League proven".

Most teams prefer to look at players who have proven to be very good in another league for half the cost - the likes of Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Costa etc.

Walters_19_MuFc

Gueye - 30mn

Lukaku - 60-70mn

Sanchez - 40-50mn

Mahrez - 30-40mn

Coleman - 30-40mn
GUEYE - Maybe...

SANCHEZ - Taking into account if he'd be in the last year of his contract.

MAHREZ - Underwhelming second season. Don't think he'd go for that much.

COLEMAN - That much for a right back? Doubt it. I'd say 30M max.

LUKAKU - I'd probably agree, given his age and potential.

An Irish Red

I think it's the change of manager more than anything. Fergie would have been after Mahrez last summer if he was still here without a doubt.

Since he's left we've completely moved away from his way of approaching the market in more ways than one.

Devil may care

I think it's the change of manager more than anything. Fergie would have been after Mahrez last summer if he was still here without a doubt.

Since he's left we've completely moved away from his way of approaching the market in more ways than one.
He'd have been after Kante but wasn't Jose and he simply preferred going to London? I don't think Mahrez would have suited Fergie, he's a bit soft and Fergie liked traditional wingers.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why limit yourself to buying the best players in the league when you can buy the best players in any league. Wouldn't that make more sense ?

An Irish Red

He'd have been after Kante but wasn't Jose and he simply preferred going to London? I don't think Mahrez would have suited Fergie, he's a bit soft and Fergie liked traditional wingers.
I'd imagine that Kante chose them over us. At the price he went for and with the type of player he is I seriously doubt Mourinho had no interest in him.

Devil may care

I'd imagine that Kante chose them over us. At the price he went for and with the type of player he is I seriously doubt Mourinho had no interest in him.
I agree, I think he'd have fit into the role we use Herrera in and his buyout made him a feasible option even with the amount we'd spent.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, no chance Lukaku goes for less than £60m or so. He absolutely carries Everton and they couldn't possibly get a replacement of his quality.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah, no chance Lukaku goes for less than £60m or so. He absolutely carries Everton and they couldn't possibly get a replacement of his quality.
Think Everton themselves thrown around 30 mil pounds for him so they'd want atleast the double.

Traub

Who would you sign though? You tried to sign the PL best player(that you could. RVP was yours and the other was suarez) under moyes, but he choose real madrid. Other than that...

2013/14 TOTY cech-coleman-kompany-cahill-shaw(you signed him)-gerrard-hazard-yaya-lallana-suarez-sturridge

That's three players you could have signed, and you got one.

2014/15 De Gea-ivanovic-terry-cahill-bertrand-matic-sanchez-coutinho-hazard-diego costa-kane

2015/16 De Gea-bellerin-alderweireld-morgan-rose-mahrez-alli-kante-payet-vardy-kane

Quite simply...buying the best players in the premier league has become impossible
Jesus christ was shaw in the team of the year?! Bet he wished he never moved to United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No longer a massive draw :lol:

The rest of your post is absolute garbage, in the summer we brought in the best performing players from the Italian, German and French leagues. We set a world record price! Them not hitting top form doesn't change their quality.

We can pay the biggest wages in the country, biggest stadium, have the highest fan base, things are pretty bright now, and going forward.

Once we can start scoring the goals our play demands we'll be a real force. For now top 4 will have to do.

I'd suggest, despite you currently being top in a season of a lot of clubs being in transition, that it is YOUR status that isn't the massive draw of 10 years agol You now can't bully the league with your spending power, and it's hilarious you whine about Shaw when a decade ago blitzing people with your lottery win cash was your total MO.
If Abramovic had chosen Tottenham as per his original plan you'd have remained the club you were for your first 90 years, ie mid table at best, an occasional cup!

liamp

I don't know why it's important to buy from the Premier League, other than to attempt to weaken other teams. The players people are talking about in this thread weren't bought from the Premier League themselves:
  • Kante, Mahrez and Gueye came over from Ligue 1 (although Gueye admittedly had a 1 year stop at Villa)
  • Alderweireld and Sanchez came from La Liga
  • KDB came from Germany and Jesus came from feckin' Brazil and I can't even remember the last time we bought a player straight from South America. (edit: just remembered...Fabio and Rafael)
If what we're saying is we want other clubs to do the buying for us so we don't have to worry about whether or not he'll be "suited for the league," that's not only horrifically arrogant but also completely unreliable. If you look at some of the Premier League players we've bought over the past few years (Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Shaw), you'll see that there's no guarantee they'll be effective for this club even if they've done well in the league before.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter where you buy players from. Regardless if you buy them from here or anywhere else in the world, if you apply proper scouting and player development they should be successful...that especially applies when you have the buying power of this club to be able to pay out the nose for players. If you deploy players in the wrong positions, roles or systems (Fellaini as a holding midfielder, Schneiderlin as a holding midfielder, Kagawa as a winger, Di Maria as a pure winger) then they'll fail regardless if they've had success in the league previously or not.

Also, with regards to the OP, we went hard after both Modric and Bale (twice) when Fergie was still here and got no traction either time. The primary targets this summer may be Kane and Alli if SAF was still here, but that doesn't mean a team is just going to capitulate to the obscene amounts of money we throw at them...especially a team led by Daniel Levy.

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Both Kane and Ali would cost at least £100 million each. Are they worth that much? Of course not, but that is the price we'd have to pay to prise them away from a rival.

There is so much money in the premier league that smaller clubs aren't bullied into selling like they used to be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean the question is, which premier league players could you sign that would improve you? Maybe sanchez or ozil if arsenal can't keep them nor find foreign buyers, and that's because of their contract situation. From top 6 sides, you can't sign anyone else, unless you are willing to spend truly stupid amounts of money. And i don't mean £89M for one of the best young players in the world, i mean truly stupid

Who is there outside those clubs? Bertrand? Gueye? Lukaku? Coleman? Barkley? Van Dijk? Do any of those guys look like they'd improve your team?(maybe van dijk?)

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's all down to money. Smaller clubs can no longer be seduced by a bit of coin and are under no pressure to sell. Same goes for the bigger teams, who would need astronomical amounts to sell to a rival.

In most cases, to get a team's best players you either need to pay over the odds or take advantage of certain opportunities, like a player being in his last year of contract. With Kante to Chelsea, I'd say it was relatively easy for Chelsea to take advantage of the fact that most Leicester players would have realised that the club had peaked and that they wouldn't be challenging this year.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, it was considered we had a good window in 2015. Schneiderlin had 3 excellent seasons in the PL with Southampton, in his last season he was among the best in the league. Schweinsteiger was a gamble, Memphis was seen as a player with enormous potential who a number of top clubs were after. We acted early because it appeared Liverpool and PSG were making their move. They didn't work out, for varying reasons, but that is with clear hindsight. They were good acquisitions at that moment in time.

Falcao was a chance worth taking, considering it was on loan. It weird you use that as an example of a poor transfer, especially because Chelsea still took him after seeing what a godawful season he had just had in the Premier League. United took a punt on him as he returned from a nasty injury with no idea how much of an impact it would have had on him. Di Maria, again at the time, was an excellent transfer. He had just had an incredible season. He turned out to be a bit of a pussy, no one really expected him to be as poor as he was. He had a decent spell at PSG last season, but he's having a bit of a stinker this year. United recouped the majority of the fee anyway.

Not sure how you can say Ibra isnt a good transfer? He was free and he is our top scorer, and is the joint 2nd highest scorer in the league. Getting a 20+ goals centre forward for zilch is an absolute rarity, and he came because he wanted to work with Mourinho again. He wouldn't have come if we still had LvG. Mkhitaryan aswell has been one of our best players since finally getting in to the team.

You got any quotes to back up Shaw only joining United for money? The only quotes I see are Shaw saying he believed he would get more game time at United, as Evra was more or less out the door. Chelsea had Azpilicueta, who is among the best in the league, and had also brought in Felipe Luis.

Didn't Chelsea only get Hazard because you were willing to pay his agent's whopping fee? I certainly remember that being the reason Fergie backed out.

Mr Smith

Pretty sure this is (largely) a thing of the past, especially with all premier league clubs being a lot richer than they used to be. You'll always have the occasional case where circumstances allow a top player to move from one premier league team to another, but it's going to be much less common than it used to be from now on.

Green_Red

Alan Smith, David Bellion, Michael Owen... theres also a trend in that. When you buy so many players over a 26 year period there will always be some of those players that do better than others.

Comparing a 3 year period to 26 years seems a little retarded to be fair.

Also,

World Cup winning midfielder, one of the worlds most promising youngsters, a striker that has proven himself everywhere and won everything, the Bundeliga's player of the season, a highly rated young LB considered to be one of the best young left backs in the game, Falcoa (who dissappointed was a serious signing), Di Maria...

I honestly don't see the sense in this thread. It's not like we haven't been making world class signings. They just don't all work out... Veron is a good example of that under Fergie, I'm sure there are plenty more.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How much do you think Kane or Alli would cost? Lukaku of Barkley? Sanchez or Yaya Sanogo?

Premier League clubs do not need to sell to stay competitive, when teams like Swansea are buying up Llorente it gives you an idea of how the landscape has changed in the league these last few years.
He'd be cheap wouldn't he :wenger: ?

Jaybomb

Who could we get? Hazard, Kante, Luiz, Costa wouldn't leave Chelsea for us.

Spurs would never sell Alli, Kane, Walker, Toby, etc.

The only possibilities would be Sanchez, Ozil, Koscielny. I think we could actually get them if we tried but would they be much of an improvement over what we have? I rate Mata over Ozil and I think developing Martial would be better than signing Sanchez.

Also Liverpool and City would never do business with us. Not that I'd want any of their players anyway.

Icemav

I just don't buy this idea that the PL is stronger these days. Players are more expensive but there are less standout stars at smaller club.

Saying that we should have bought Kante.

anver

Shart stop
The point about TV deals has been well taken. Local talent is getting rarer these days.

I feel we should give our academy more support, and get some good raw local talent. That way, we should be able to keep the wheels moving.

RC89

I think the fact that Watford were able to turn down 30m for Deeney is a good reflection of the amount of money even these clubs have now. Brilliant decision for Watford in the end, but a lot of the players although good would probably cost too much to be worth it. Dele Alli for example, if he keeps this up, come the end of the season if he doesn't force a move, Levy would ask for 60m, maybe a tad more.