What happened to Ronaldo's freekicks?

00ivatsa

He's a phenomenal goal scorer, don't get me wrong. But 2 goals from free kicks from 80odd attempts isn't prolific and he shouldn't be taking them. He should be letting others take then and himy finish them off and add to his 499 goals or so. Imagine how many goals he's have scored from rebounds if he hadn't have taken the free kicks ;)
I agree with you - Ronaldo should not take the free kicks anymore, unless he renovates his style of shooting them.

He still can take amazing shots though, so I don't understand how has it come to this and why no coach has told him to either change his technique, or lose the main duty for FKs.

RedCurry

The football manufacturing technology got better. Those knuckle balls don't move all over any more. Time to learn how to actually curl the ball.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bale?
He's hit a couple on target, right in the middle of the goal, let in by scandalous goalkeeping
His free kicks in the Euros have been average, though at least he hits the target. In general, I think he is more consistent overall though. I'd rather him or Kroos take them ahead of Ronaldo if I was a Madrid fan.

saivet

He's never been very good at them, but seems like he has simply got worse.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
That was a bit better! Least it didn't smash into the bloody wall

We need an rvn

Any coincidence in becks, Ronaldinho etc curling their free kicks and getting a higher success rate than whacking the ball in the centre and hoping for aerodynamics of the ball to beat the keeper...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's got that sort of style that if he hits it right it's unsaveable. It's a low percentage shot in general and his style isn't very on point.

Honestly I think these guys are better off most of the times just hitting it in the goalkeeper's corner and hoping he messes up the save.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's scored 45 free kicks in his career (2 minute google search)

But my quote was about how rare they were. He scored 13 for United over his 6 years at United - i'd say that's rare wouldn't you???

He was the 25th best success rate across Europe in 2015. His conversion rate was 4.2%. In 2015 he scored 2 goals from 88 attempts.

Pretty poor if you ask me.
13 in 6 isn't poor. How many goals have we scored from a free kick in the past 3 seasons?

Crimson King

I feel that his technique doesn't really suit the position of the freekicks a lot of the time. Like the one a few minutes ago, somebody who could whip it Beckham-esque would stand a much better chance of scoring there.

They look spectacular when they do go in, but it only seems a truly viable option when you're straight on and far out, because the swerve can undo the keeper.

MarkC

I always remember his conversion rate being pretty average but then not many players do better these days.

He can hit a great free kick with the inside of his foot but chooses not too which I always thought strange. Reckon he is the type who would rather score 1/100 and it be spectacular.

Technique for free kick against Sunderland for those saying he needs to learn a new technique

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I recollect frequent rebounds as well. Not really seeing those anymore because most hit the wall.

Must be a change in the ball. Either way, no way should he be taking them unless he changes his style immediately. Reality surely has to set in.