What happened to Tom Cleverley? | Retires due to injury

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For a 5 or 6 game period, him and Anderson looked like the best midfield combo in world history.

bringbackbebe

Frankly thought he'd make it at United. Injury was one thing, but we completely changed our style of play under Moyes and then Van Gaal where many of the Fergie era prospects deteriorated. It's a shame we didn't get the best out of Rafael, Cleverly etc. Wishing Cleverly the best in his post retirement career.

kundalini

Cleverley was a PL standard player who could be a regular for an elite team provided the creativity came from others. When expected to contribute more, he struggled, as happened under Moyes at United, his brief time in the England team and during a disappointing spell at Everton. For Wigan (loan), Villa (loan) and Watford, he was generally viewed favourably.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’d spoken recently about wanting to get into coaching and would love to return to work in United’s academy or at Bradford. Was hoping he’d come in to replace Huddlestone in the u21s but understandable if he can’t with injuries. Hope he comes back in some role anyway.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
His inability to kick the ball.with a thing but his instep wound me up.

Shame about the retirement, good luck to him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Frankly thought he'd make it at United. Injury was one thing, but we completely changed our style of play under Moyes and then Van Gaal where many of the Fergie era prospects deteriorated. It's a shame we didn't get the best out of Rafael, Cleverly etc. Wishing Cleverly the best in his post retirement career.
Was really strange because I saw good stuff in that first tour from him (where he was made captain for a game no less) and thought between Him and Welbeck that they would take another step under van Gaal, or at least be placed in a system where he would value them.

Both gone before the summer window shut. LvG was strange.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Horrible technique but did ok for the club when needed. Never slated the club. Yes it's a huge thing now. Good on you

Mindhunter

If I remember correctly, the hype got to him as well. There was a huge backlash when he launched his personal brand in the middle of a sustained period of bad form.

It’s such a shame though. I still remember my excitement that year coming out of preseason when we came from 2-0 behind to defeat city 3-2 with him in midfield.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
His biggest drawback was, he was very very in panic mode whenever he was pressed, or in games where he wasn't given space to operate.
I remember one game against City where he looked like he would pee on himself whenever he received the ball. Fair to him he was against Yaya

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Good retirement Tom. Shame it had to end this way

Decent player who was unlucky to be scapegoated as the whole club turned toxic under Moyes. In the end it was his mentality more than his technique that cut his time here short, but still he's had a solid PL career that most would dream of.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I was a massive Cleverly fan back in the day, thought he had the minerals and potential to make the step up and join the elite. Shame it didn't work out that way.
Wish him good luck on his retirement!

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Cleverley was really Patient Zero for United players not being good enough being treated as a moral failure worthy of abuse. TC23 walked so JLingz could run.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
For a 5 or 6 game period, him and Anderson looked like the best midfield combo in world history.
Actually felt like one of the high moments of that era. The feeling that our team that had been so dominant for so long had so easily just refreshed the squad with a bunch of world class English talent, peaking with the 8-2 against Arsenal.

I remember an England game against Bulgaria where lots of our players were excellent. Rooney, Welbeck, Jones, Smalling, Young, Cleverley were all in the England set up - really felt like we were the English Bayern.

The realisation in the coming months that most of the above actually weren’t all they were cracked up to be, compounded by the 6-1 against City, was the start of the recurring feeling we have today. False dawns.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Another bang average academy player who we'd have never gave a moments consideration to signing had he played at another club

Robertd0803

I will never forgive Kevin Davies for ruining him.
Same here. Disgusting tackle and he was never the same afterwards. All the potential went out the window. Always a shame to see a players career cut short by injury.

Chairman Steve

Always thought he was a player who benefited from having man management maestro Ferguson over him. A man who can take 6/10 talent and churn out 9/10 performances.

I thought he was decent enough and probably would have been moved on sooner rather than later anyway if Ferguson stayed beyond 2013. He probably benefited due to our ’no value in the market’ policy of the last three years of Ferguson aka Glazer pennypinching.

Didn’t he date and marry some TOWIE girl? I imagine that went down well with Ferguson knowing his negative history of socialite WAGs with his players :p

Last edited:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Another bang average academy player who we'd have never gave a moments consideration to signing had he played at another club
He left, found his level and made a decent career for himself. You don't need to be a cnut about it.

Lots of ex-United academy players went on to make decent careers at lower level clubs. You used to see them all over the place.

Lingard could have learnt a thing or two from his example.

krazyrobus

I'll never forget the clevanderson pairing. I think we scored 4 goals every match for a 6 or so spell. Ridiculous. Kinda like that Rojones one for 6 weeks were we conceded 2 goals.