What happens when we come up against decent opposition? | Errr

GM K

I think we will fare well against Spurs, at least in terms of playing as one top team with another. People underestimate momentum and confidence in football. Right now we are riding on a wave of momentum and confidence. I see us taking the game to Spurs. Whether or not our quality will be good enough to see us through is a different subject. But a win for us or a draw will not surprise me at all. Whatever the case, this will be a good test.

Foxbatt

At least now no team is going to play us and think this is easy. They have seen the way we play now and know that we will attack them and our attack is good enough to score against any team. I hope Ole starts with Martial, Rashford and Sanchez with the midfield picking itself and Lindelof and who else to partner him.
Or play Fellaini up front and did what Jose did to Ajax and by pass their midfield. I would like to see Ole do that against a big club just to see whether we can beat them playing that way.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm certainly not going to overreact because Spurs are a more organised team than us, and our defence is total shambles. It'll be an expected result for us to lose to them in our current state. But we'll have a go, and it'll be a lot more offensive from us than the last few times we've played them away, so that'll be a nice change.
Hopefully so. Open games suits Spurs well, in contrast to when teams try and park the bus.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We've got a lot to learn about Ole, such as how he'll set up tactically in a game like Spurs and how he/ we would respond to a defeat. I think we were almost guaranteed a bounce when Jose left, so the next couple of weeks will provide some answers to whether he really is a candidate for the job.

Canagel

Actually competing and playing like big team is more important to me than the result itself. For three years we've played like a small team and that gets you nowhere regardless of the result on the day. Hoping to nick a goal from set piece or get lucky from opponent mistake is not sustainable and too limited of a game plan. There is no shame in losing but not in the way we rolled over at Anfield for example or Etihad. The bar is not really that high for OGS. He just has to show us that we can attack in proper way and ask questions of any team . To give us belief for the future that we can maybe do something when the stakes are really high.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Also Mike Phelan will have lost of experience in these kinds of games so his input would be crucial too.

OhGee

One thing is for sure is that we will play 6-3-1 with our left and right forwards playing as second fullbacks allowing the opposition to play us out of the park and hoping to get a fortuitous goal by virtue of an opposition mistake.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Spurs are good but they are just after losing 3-1 at home to Wolves. We don't have to go full Mou and build them into something they are not. Good side but they have their weaknesses we can exploit, lost 5 league games already, the same as a woefully performing(until recently) Utd.
I’m not sure they just hammered a team 7-0.

RG 11

We haven't won away to Spurs since Fergie. It's been a difficult place for us to get wins but I'm hopeful for the first time. We have the momentum and everything you can hope for is happening. I fact us nicking it by a goal. Spurs has a better squad and a much more balanced and solid XI so they'd be favorites. Especially considering the sloppiness of our defense. We have as many clean sheets as Huddersfield.

BigRon1985

The real acid test to gauge our progress since Mourinho will be this weekend against Spurs. I fancy our chances but more likely than not will be a draw.

Tony247

We are going to win against spurs. 3-2. We will get a red card towards the end but will hang on to the lead.
(spurs - united)
1-0
1-1
2-1 (HT)
2-2
2-3 (FT)

redmanx

I was an avid JM fan but hearing things coming out in the press I have changed my opinion and think his main approach to games was to keep things very tight and hope he had enough quality up top through set plays and counter attacking to get the 1/2 goals needed to win games (hence building a team full of giants). He has always had good teams full Of talent everywhere he has managed he has just aired them up and cut down the goals against column.
We now know full backs were ordered to stay within 15/20 yards of centre backs when the ball was turned over and other things he insisted on. That’s why he was so irate at Luke shaw in certain games.
Looking at it now all OGS has done is unleash the players. In bigger games it will test his prep and how he tactically prepares against an opposition that can hurt us but I also think he will have a go at the bigger teams a lot more especially at home.
The one thing I will say is OGS is a gentleman and comes across so much more humble than his predecessor it’s a joy to see a man who truly loves our club sat in the dugout and I think the outside perception of the club is a lot more positive already.
I thought Mourinho would steady the ship, win some silverware, and generally make us a competitive team again, and I still hoped he could do this until, by October it was clear we were going backwards again. His failure to get the best from the players he had, the stubborn refusal to listen to what most supporters were saying, and most pundits, the constant rows and the overall feeling of unease and resentment he created was choking the life out of the club I love. Ole has been like a breath of fresh air, a storm actually, blowing away all the bitterness, resentment and apathy. We still have a long way to go, we need replacements for those who, though good, are simply not good enough, but its a start, a very good start, and, just as Mourinho deserved our patience, until, as it always does it seems, he exhausted it, Ole does too, and when he suffers his first set back, as he will, we must all get behind him, because, unlike Mourinho, Ole is Manchester United to the core and has utter belief in the Manchester United way of playing and its history. I was wrong about Mourinho, but not about Ole!

redshaw

Considering we drew 5, lost 5 and won 7 in 17 games, I would put a draw/loss more likely or just as likely with Jose still in charge. Not sure where this Jose would've won these games comes from, especially with who we lost and drawn with and our -1 goal difference which is now plus 11.

And it was getting worse with Jose by the month. He would've had Herrera and McTom as central defence for a 4-0 tonking with the goal assist goal scoring virus on the bench.

RetroStu

I hate this argument, all rival fans are saying it. We could be top of the league by 10 points and still lose to Spurs, they are a good team and at home. Losing to them means nothing in terms of progress or how well Ole is doing.

Red00012

Can’t be any worse than last season what was it like opening minute of the game ?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I hate this argument, all rival fans are saying it. We could be top of the league by 10 points and still lose to Spurs, they are a good team and at home. Losing to them means nothing in terms of progress or how well Ole is doing.
Spot on.

Also worth mentioning that yes, we've had an easy run of games but it was at a time of year when games come thick and fast and it's very unusual to maintain a 100% record. Let's not forget that our top four rivals dropped points against teams like Crystal Palace, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton and Brighton over the same period of time.

BlueHaze

Well to answer the thread title I guess we will find out on sunday. Personally I think the game against Spurs could go any way. Either they will win comfortably or it will be an even game. I don't see us coming out from this as winners but I won't rule it out completely. Hopefully though we will see the same attacking approach we have had during the previous 4 games. I would hate it if we were set up more defensively.

poleglass red

Be interesting. At least now, we seem to have that we can score against anyone mentality back, and we can as we have the attacking talent to do so. Defensively we know we are we not where we need to be, I can see goals in this at either end. I hope we go at them right from the off. I don't mind losing if we give it a go, the roll over and die attitude we showed v them and Juve at home was sickening. I could see us getting a score draw.

Seven Seas Sardines

I'm going for a 4-3 win, with exciting end-to-end footy. Hopefully Tottenham can get a suspension or two against Chelsea tomorrow while we're off preparing in Dubai.

Crash213

Tough game, might as see how we do and try and go toe to toe with spurs. If we let the front 3 and pogba have freedom no reason why we cant score goals. That said it is likely we will concede. Draw wouldn't be a bad result. Hopefully martial, rashford and jessie up top as dont think lukaku is ready for this one.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
To be fair, I think most sensible posters and pundits are more focused on the performance (and tactical performance) than solely the result.

Of course anyone can lose to Spurs - but then, anyone can beat them, as has happened 5 times this season, and as was shown by Wolves just 1 game ago...

But to go there and be outplayed and for Ole to be out-thought by Pochettino is what people will be watching for, and rightly so.

Ole is now being talked about seriously as the next full-time Utd manager - I myself am starting to lean toward him getting the job - and he now has had time with the squad, has an incredible run of form, and we're not going to Citeh, or Liverpool, it's Tottenham ffs.

We should be able to turn up and give a good account of ourselves - failure to do that, and quite rightly it will reflect on him getting the manager's job full-time.

He doesn't have the managerial credibility to be given the job without showing he can mix it up with the best managers in the PL.

For what it's worth, I think we can win the game.

StrettyEnder07

Pogba Matic Herrera a shoe in to start, 433, licence for Pogba to get forward, Martial Rashford Lingard just at the back, I think he will go with Shaw and Young as his full backs, Lindelof and (can't believe I am saying this) but hopefully Smalling is fit as Jones is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I think we will be disciplined to start with, don't concede early nothing stupid and defo go for them and attack, not as gung ho as we have been but we will go at them and attack. If we get beat we get beat, no shame in losing to Spurs but if we do get beat, we will go down fighting and giving everything, all we can ask for! Bring it on, can't wait!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Time to bump this, I guess.

The big test of how far we've really come in the last month is next weekend.
Defence is likely to be our biggest weakness.
I would not put it past Solskjaer to spring a few surprises on Poch. He will have a double motivation, the second being to embarrass potential long-term managerial competition. Maybe by loaning Fellaini's hairdo to Jones? It's a bit wasted on Chong to be fair.

Lentwood

Well not really because you could just as easily say Manchester United could have beaten Cardiff, Huddersfield, Reading, Newcastle and Bournemouth with Neil Warnock or Tony Pulis in charge, doesn't mean they are the right man for the job

If we're not going to judge Ole by our performances and results in the 'big' games, then what are we supposed to judge him by? Because being likeable in press conferences isn't enough to land the job full-time!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we're not going to judge Ole by our performances and results in the 'big' games, then what are we supposed to judge him by? Because being likeable in press conferences isn't enough to land the job full-time!
If getting the full time United job is based on big game results Pochettino shouldn't be considered either.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Well not really because you could just as easily say Manchester United could have beaten Cardiff, Huddersfield, Reading, Newcastle and Bournemouth with Neil Warnock or Tony Pulis in charge, doesn't mean they are the right man for the job

It's not about the result, but more the performance. Even Jose could have struggled past that lot.

Fracture90

Honestly I think we can get a result against Spurs, the issue I'm most worried about is their CB's ability to pick a long pass for their forwards running in behind. Our defense is set up pretty high up the pitch and considering Jones/Lindelof have a serious lack of pace and speed it could prove to be very costly to us.

SSSSnake

Honestly I think we can get a result against Spurs, the issue I'm most worried about is their CB's ability to pick a long pass for their forwards running in behind. Our defense is set up pretty high up the pitch and considering Jones/Lindelof have a serious lack of pace and speed it could prove to be very costly to us.
We share the same fear. I was really hoping Smalling would be back in time because he has the extra pace to recover ball from a high line and he's without doubt the best player in the air.

RedorDead21

Why are we building this spurs game up to be the litmus test of any good team? If we win pundits will just turn to the next big game against the top 2...where in reality the only true test of a PL team lies. Win or lose this weekend doesn't make us a very good team or even close.