What if the Premier League has its own streaming service : "Premflix"

NoPace

Not really owned by the premier league but just get DAZN in Canada. We pay 150$ a year for the subscription, and you get every single premier league game for every team, you can replay them, you get highlight shows, preview shows, side spin offs like Gary Nevilles soccerbox, big match previews, and so on. We also get all Champions League games, all Europa League games, all Carabao Cup games, serie A, decent chunk of Championship games. Only don't have the FA Cup, and then Bundesligs, liga BBVA, and Ligue 1.

Then for other sports we get all NFL games, redzone, all the side shows, etc. Some other sports included.

Basically, come to Canada for the best sports packages.
Can you download games once done? Even with a downloader extension is fine, but I like to download a finished game and fast forward through stoppages, knock it down to an hour. Yes I know this is mildly psychotic but I recommend it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It would be difficult in England though. At least in America the next NBA team is probably 100 miles away. We have teams that are only a few miles from each other which could create issues.
True, but most of this 24 billion in broadcasting money comes from outside of England. So whatever special rules are required to keep the games attended won't mess up revenue very badly, even if the app isn't available in England and there you still have to deal with the current system.

NYAS

Not really owned by the premier league but just get DAZN in Canada. We pay 150$ a year for the subscription, and you get every single premier league game for every team, you can replay them, you get highlight shows, preview shows, side spin offs like Gary Nevilles soccerbox, big match previews, and so on. We also get all Champions League games, all Europa League games, all Carabao Cup games, serie A, decent chunk of Championship games. Only don't have the FA Cup, and then Bundesligs, liga BBVA, and Ligue 1.

Then for other sports we get all NFL games, redzone, all the side shows, etc. Some other sports included.

Basically, come to Canada for the best sports packages.
To be frank that sounds terrible compared to what we get in the Middle East with BeIN.

If that’s what Canada offers, come to the Middle East for the best sports packages.:D

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There's more money in the current model. Maybe La Liga could go that route but the FA would just be throwing away money if it did. Would be better for the consumers obviously.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
£10 a month would require 11m subs to stay subbed all year to grt the same revenues they get right now with none of the hassle. Not nearly that many people would pay it.

That's just for the UK.

Streaming options already exist in other places. I think NZ has one that costs £100 a YEAR. that's how low the demand is.
Mine is built into my internet bundle and I get every single match of the PL and CL live and on demand.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can you download games once done? Even with a downloader extension is fine, but I like to download a finished game and fast forward through stoppages, knock it down to an hour. Yes I know this is mildly psychotic but I recommend it.
The games stay there for like a month after (think it's a month) and you can just rewatch them and fast forward or rewind through whatever (or skip right to goals). Don't think you can download them off the app though.

bosnian_red

To be frank that sounds terrible compared to what we get in the Middle East with BeIN.

If that’s what Canada offers, come to the Middle East for the best sports packages.:D
What do you get?? Can't imagine much better than $12 a month basically for literally every premier league, CL, europa league, Carabao cup, nfl game (of things I have interest in).

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Da Zone has the rights to all Premier League games and all Champions league here in canada.

Best 150 bucks I've spent. Replays, highlights etc

They also have boxing, NFL, MLB etc

DBT85

Mine is built into my internet bundle and I get every single match of the PL and CL live and on demand.
PL broadcast rights sell to the rest of the world combined for the same price they sell to just the UK market. Imagine that. 70m people in the UK alone funnel £1.3bn into the PL every year. The other 7 billion worldwide also only funnel £1.3bn into the PL every year.

This is why other countries can do deals like this or BEIN or DAZN or whatever. The rights cost them pennies compared to the UK.

Similarly being able to watch US sport in the EU is cheaper than the US as the demand isn't as high.

stevoc

The Premier League could do this but we all know they won't they'll stick with the current business/broadcasting model that was devised in the late 80's.

People have been waffling on about PPV matches and club specific channels that show all a teams games since the mid 90's that i can remember. But very little ever changes except the price continues to go up.

Streaming is at a point where you can watch pretty much every United game on stable streams and in very good quality with little or no fuss.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Something like this will probably come in to existence, eventually... Maybe in 10 years or so. If / when broadcasting revenue starts declining from the current model it'll be considered more seriously.

Can forget it anytime soon due to vested interests in the current model, Sky, BT and the rest.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Pretty much agree with Mr. DTB86

The PL is printing money under the current deal. Does this get them even more money? I doubt it.

There is probably room/demand in the market for an additional streaming service that shows past PL games. Probably.

NYAS

What do you get?? Can't imagine much better than $12 a month basically for literally every premier league, CL, europa league, Carabao cup, nfl game (of things I have interest in).
Every game of all of the top 5 leagues + Scotland (3/4 matches a week in 4K), and all of their respective cup/league cup competitions, their 2nd divisions, the CL+EL combinations of each continent (meaning Libertadores, Asian Champions League, etc). All the summer tournaments, internationals (friendlies and qualifiers), all NFL, NBA and most MLB games as well as every tennis, F1 and golf event going on.

bosnian_red

Every game of all of the top 5 leagues + Scotland (3/4 matches a week in 4K), and all of their respective cup/league cup competitions, their 2nd divisions, the CL+EL combinations of each continent (meaning Libertadores, Asian Champions League, etc). All the summer tournaments, internationals (friendlies and qualifiers), all NFL, NBA and most MLB games as well as every tennis, F1 and golf event going on.
Yes but how much do you pay?? And is it like a subscription/live tv thing or a Netflix type app that you can use whenever?

lostcauz

They should be partnering with Netflix or amazon with infrastructures and subscribers in place already, either as add on’s to the current services or start up as a new app, ‘The premiership’ supported by Netflix. I’m sure neither would turn their noses up at getting a tiny percentage of what they know is a huge money maker across the globe.

Capwn

The premier league is broadcasted on Hotstar in India which is a streaming service. They don't have exclusive rights cause games are shown on tv aswell but I watch my games on hotstar. Makes it so much easier.

Castia

The current tv deals would get blown away, they would make an absolute fortune.

Lower league ticket sales could possibly take a hit but the PL money would be so high I’m sure they could easily arrange to spend x amount on each lower league from the championship to league 2 to make up the money lost and even surpass it.

I mean I’ve got a couple of friends who are Oldham fans but love football in general and would still go to the match alongside a subscription to all the PL action it’s a no brainer.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The FA wouldn't have to do anything as it would be a PL venture and as I've already said, the PL already has every game being directed, produced and broadcast worldwide. Yes, investment would be needed to bring in all the kit to encode things for a streaming service (consider that for amazon alone, we encode every game in 4khdr, 4k, 1080hdr and 1080. A main and a backup of each. AND it is all done exactly the same at another site. Effectively every game is encoded 16 times! to be sure there is a backup of the backup of the backup just in case)

The facility that much of this is done at (the same place as VAR is done fwiw), would just need to allocate the appropriate rack space and have the PL open the cheque book for a miniscule sum by PL standards. IIRC the Amazon kit installed in our building were it paid for outright was something like £15m, since its all AWs stuff Amazon probably gave themselves a discount.

That same kit has actually been encoding every game all season just to make sure it works properly. Yes there would be other expenses in setting up an appropriate network to handle the huge volumes of traffic if it were available worldwide and so on, but its by no means insurmountable. Its not even 1% of the reason it's not happened yet.

If it were to happen I wouldn't expect it to be less than £300 for a year. Hell they might even not allow you to unsub like Netflix and stuff do.

The note here (as I've also directed L1 and L2 games for ifollow) is that its £10 PER GAME to watch. For L1 and L2 football. Yet somehow they get enough people to pay it to make it worthwhile. Why the feck would the PL look at than and go "ahh yeah lets do it for a tenner lads". They know the value of their product. If Newport County can get people paying £10 for one game the PL will want at least double.

The prices of live sport cannot be compared at all to things like Netflix and Amazon or Disney+. Its a whole other ball game (no pun intended)

It could absolutely be a great service, all those old games are available (we play them reguarly) as well as loads of other stuff. Literally the entire channel is PL only. News, Fantasy Football, Soccerbox, review show etc. As I said, most of you watching a stream or just on tv elsewhere in the world are watching the signal leaving my desk.

But that service will come at a cost that I think people are being naive with.

I can't ever see the PL teams breaking up and having individual packages though, they could have done it multiple times over the last 20 years and always refused. You either get a game for X, maybe a month for Y or the whole year for Z. Still need to pay for CL and FA cup and Europa League and stuff though.

The idea that suddenly the PL does a Premflix and everyones woes of multiple subs dies out is a dream.

Even with their own service illegal streams and iptv will still be huge. Why pay £300 a year if you can pay £40 for a main and backup IPTV that has basically everything from everywhere. People still pirate netflix shows, amazon shows, etc etc.

Whatever happens, you'd still need 2 or 3 subs to see every game anyway as less and less will be on the free to air channels.

Isn't the NFL on Fox, NBC, CBS and some others too?
The problem isnt that alone.

Most indonesians wont pay for a streamflix. They cant afford to. Those that can afford it would only be a fraction of it.

It's more profitable to sell to Indonesian tv who pays millions and get millions from ads.

Economic of scale.

You're overestimating how much people will pay for services like this in some poorer country. What's 10 quid for you worth alot more to minimum workers living on 100 quid per month.

As of now they can enjoy epl provided by local broadcaster who pays the right.

If you monetize them, you'd end up much worse. You get no tv deal, and illegal streamer.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is something that is inevitable in the future. 5-6 years down the line I'd be very surprised if we aren't watching the major leagues on a streaming platform.

I understand the concerns of the people who say this might adversely effect lower league football, but there is a simple way around it. No PL matches at 3 pm on Saturday. That slot is only for Championship and below, so that local fans don't stop going to support their local teams in lieu of watching PL football at that time.

You can arrange the PL matches for Saturday lunchtime, the late slot and on Sunday. With a streaming platform it wouldn't matter how many matches are being played simultaneously, all games will be streamed live and people can choose which game to watch.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've said this before. I think this is a fantastic idea. And not just for the EPL but for all levels in the FA. I am now paying $20/month to watch the games on DAZN in Canada. i'd be more than happy to spend this money so it goes directly to the FA and gets further distribution through out the teams and divisions...

NoLogo

While I would love something like this, I think thee is more money to be made if you fragment the TV market. This way they can get money from 3 or 4 different TV stations and make them engage in bidding war.

diarm

Uhh, yes?
Where are you getting that from? Box office revenues are still growing at the rate they've always grown.

2018 was the highest grossing year on record in North America and last year was a full billion dollars higher than a decade ago. 4 billion higher than 2 decades ago.

diarm

While I would love something like this, I think thee is more money to be made if you fragment the TV market. This way they can get money from 3 or 4 different TV stations and make them engage in bidding war.
That's the line of thinking peddled by the TV stations, just as the networks tried to maintain a grip on the market Netflix revolutionised.

With a fragmented Premier League offering, hidden behind prohibitive pricing, you are always going to lose out on a huge portion of the potential market. There are more people who cannot, or will not, pay £90/£100+ a month for Sky, BT and Amazon on order to watch all the matches than who can or will.

Offer an all inclusive, stand alone package at a reasonable price of £10/£15 a month and you would instantly triple your legal and paying viewership.

DBT85

That's the line of thinking peddled by the TV stations, just as the networks tried to maintain a grip on the market Netflix revolutionised.

With a fragmented Premier League offering, hidden behind prohibitive pricing, you are always going to lose out on a huge portion of the potential market. There are more people who cannot, or will not, pay £90/£100+ a month for Sky, BT and Amazon on order to watch all the matches than who can or will.

Offer an all inclusive, stand alone package at a reasonable price of £10/£15 a month and you would instantly triple your legal and paying viewership.
Total viewership isn't a concern. Money is.

Again, sky get less than a quarter of the views that the BBC did for the f1 but are paying f1 a LOT more money for the rights. F1 doesn't care.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Will PL get 3-4 billion from Sky if this is the case?
They'd comfortably generate 3 or 4 times that number if they brought it in house. There's absolutely no reason why they haven't done it yet, other than bone idle laziness.

diarm

Total viewership isn't a concern. Money is.

Again, sky get less than a quarter of the views that the BBC did for the f1 but are paying f1 a LOT more money for the rights. F1 doesn't care.
But the money the league will make from offering a streaming service direct to customers will dwarf anything Sky or any other traditional tv network will ever be able to offer. That's before you even consider the advertising revenue which is very much based on total viewership.

The video in the OP shows the figures you're talking about. It's many multiples of the current deal.

Anekdote

We used to have something like this in Austria for only 10 € a month and cancellation anytime. It's called DAZN and you had 3 PL games a day. But Sky snubbed the license away this season.

TheLiverBird

Always seemed like a no brainer. It makes no sense that the only country (along with Ireland) you can't watch all PL games in is the country it's fecking based in.
It does

and it doesn’t

airing ALL the games in other Countries doesn’t affect attendances because....well they are abroad

It’s frustrating for us though, nowt worse than seeing on the fixtures that your team are on a 3pm kick off on a Saturday

in the OP’s video though, what’s all this “the cheapest deals for those with ALL broadcast services

Sky
BT
Amazon

is £907 a year?

is it heck!

with NowTV’s season pass
BT Sport season long Wowcher deals
And a family shared Amazon Prime account

mines little over £200 for the year!

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Where are you getting that from? Box office revenues are still growing at the rate they've always grown.

2018 was the highest grossing year on record in North America and last year was a full billion dollars higher than a decade ago. 4 billion higher than 2 decades ago.
Not sure about overall, but I do think the % has dipped - will have to find the stats somewhere.

The highest grossing movies of all time, adjusted for inflation, were mosly pre 2000s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Think its about time that PL clubs sold their own tv rights. And I say this as a non biased MUFC supporter......honest. ;)

DBT85

But the money the league will make from offering a streaming service direct to customers will dwarf anything Sky or any other traditional tv network will ever be able to offer. That's before you even consider the advertising revenue which is very much based on total viewership.

The video in the OP shows the figures you're talking about. It's many multiples of the current deal.
It might. Maybe. Possibly. As I said, it's only really the UK that pays serious money for it. Other countries get it at a fraction of the price because viewership isn't as high and so companies can't get away with charging as much.

They'll do it eventually. But it won't be before the end of this TV deal and I am 99% sure it won't be before the end of the next one. Do that's 5 years minimum.

People talk about this as if the PL are just dumb and stuck in 1990. lolz why u no stream. Shit like this is exactly why the job I do exists. In part to keep Sky and BT honest. Bid properly or we'll just yank it all and do it ourselves.

Siorac

According to the video at the top of this if they sold directly world wide they could theoretically make 24 billion quid a year compared to the 3 billion they make at the moment
They'd comfortably generate 3 or 4 times that number if they brought it in house. There's absolutely no reason why they haven't done it yet, other than bone idle laziness.
I don't think it's that simple and obvious. Right now all the Premier League has to do is negotiate with TV companies. That's it. They do the rest of it.

With their own streaming service, they would need their own sales and marketing departments, they'd have to do the advertising, possibly find sponsors. Maintain all the physical infrastructure for broadcasting.

Netflix's 2019 revenue was 20 billion, almost solely from their subscription fees. But to get that sort of money, the Premier League would need similar amount of subscribers: Netflix has around 160m across the globe. Are THAT many people interested in the Premier League?

- According to the Premier League stats, the cumulative global audience for all Premier League games in 2018/19 was 3.2 billion. But that is just adding together the viewer numbers of all the separate games - which means that a person who watches 2 games every weekend is represented 76 times in that 3.2 billion figure.

- If we calculate based on everyone watching one (1) game per weekend then it's 84 million people watching the Premier League every weekend - that is the ridiculously optimistic figure for potential subscribers. At that level, at Netflix prices, the PL would net around 10b (if those subscribers keep up the subscription for 12 months - don't forget that there are no games in June or July). But 1) that is a very optimistic figure, 2) doesn't take into account ANY operating costs.

So while I'm sure it'd be possible for the PL to make more money from a streaming service than it does from broadcasting, it's probably not that simple.

diarm

It might. Maybe. Possibly. As I said, it's only really the UK that pays serious money for it. Other countries get it at a fraction of the price because viewership isn't as high and so companies can't get away with charging as much.

They'll do it eventually. But it won't be before the end of this TV deal and I am 99% sure it won't be before the end of the next one. Do that's 5 years minimum.

People talk about this as if the PL are just dumb and stuck in 1990. lolz why u no stream. Shit like this is exactly why the job I do exists. In part to keep Sky and BT honest. Bid properly or we'll just yank it all and do it ourselves.
But there is nobody bidding honestly and properly for the consumer, and that is short term thinking in my book.

You said earlier that people will always illegally stream, but other mediums have proved the numbers are minuscule when they have access to a reasonably priced legal alternative. Yes the league could look at people paying silly prices to watch matches now and think "why should we make it available for less" - but they should be looking at the much bigger number of people who can't afford to pay for Sky and BT and thinking "how much more money could we be making if we made our product affordable to those people?".

Sky gets between 250k and 1.5million viewers per PL match, in a country of 66 million people. BT Sports peaks at about 750k for a big CL game.

In that same country, 20 million people watched Englands recent world cup quarter final, 14 million watched CL finals when they were on ITV and BBC regularly get up to 8 million for FA Cup games. The viewers are there but they are being priced out and as such, the Prem is losing out on massive revenue, not just through subscriptions but through the sponsorship and advertising they would control via their own platform.

I get the argument about different countries and markets, but the platform could be priced differently in different geolocations. Netlfix is cheaper in India than it is in the UK and Ireland so there's no reason Premflix couldn't do likewise.

Pughnichi

If it was all EPL games...I’d be happy paying more than £20.

im not fussed for the cricket, tennis, or whatever and only typically watch EPL so even £40 a month would be considered reasonable for me.

problem being we all have different wants and needs so truly flexible pricing is neccessary

seems ridiculous but 40 a month COULD get you how many minutes of EPL Football. They could effectively charge you across all sports for minutes watched. £40 for 4000 minutes.

DBT85

But there is nobody bidding honestly and properly for the consumer, and that is short term thinking in my book.

You said earlier that people will always illegally stream, but other mediums have proved the numbers are minuscule when they have access to a reasonably priced legal alternative. Yes the league could look at people paying silly prices to watch matches now and think "why should we make it available for less" - but they should be looking at the much bigger number of people who can't afford to pay for Sky and BT and thinking "how much more money could we be making if we made our product affordable to those people?".

Sky gets between 250k and 1.5million viewers per PL match, in a country of 66 million people. BT Sports peaks at about 750k for a big CL game.

In that same country, 20 million people watched Englands recent world cup quarter final, 14 million watched CL finals when they were on ITV and BBC regularly get up to 8 million for FA Cup games. The viewers are there but they are being priced out and as such, the Prem is losing out on massive revenue, not just through subscriptions but through the sponsorship and advertising they would control via their own platform.

I get the argument about different countries and markets, but the platform could be priced differently in different geolocations. Netlfix is cheaper in India than it is in the UK and Ireland so there's no reason Premflix couldn't do likewise.
I don't disagree that the viewership is there. But paying literally anything will reduce the number compared to it being on FTA channels like the events you mention.

The balancing act would be pitching it at a price that can get enough money in to be more than they get guaranteed at the moment.

They'd have to get 10m subs at £150 a year to match current UK income. Maybe achievable but unlikely. Sky only have under 11.5m tv subs and despite everything else they offer. And I doubt half that number currently pay for sport.

Again. People would still need sky sport, by sport etc for the cl and other tournaments too.

On a subscription service will they get a lot more subs if Sheffield United come 4th?not really. Could they lose loads worldwide if United keep being shit? Absolutely. They don't have that risk at the moment. They sit back and enjoy the income with basically no effort.

Mandalorian was pirated like feck in the US depsite Disney plus being reasonably priced. Netflix shows are also heavily pirated. Music has done well to get rid of it as much as it has.

Don't get me wrong. I think they should do it. But it won't happen for 5 years. 2 because of the current deal anyway and the one after that because I just get the feeling they are happy banking 3b a year guaranteed.

Last edited: