What is it like supporting "smaller" clubs?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is this thread about actual small clubs, or more "small clubs" by Premier league standards, or even clubs in the Premier league who never win or come close to competing for anything?

They are three massively different things.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What I find weird is when fans of really big clubs try mocking me with stuff like "you're a seller club", "your trophy count is empty" etc. I mean, it's not like you've won those titles for your club yourself, did you? So that's nothing to brag about. I mean, you don't really choose your club, you just support it. And such stuff almost sounds as if people chose to support Bayern/United/etc. because they're successful, not because they just grew up like that.
I think the vast majority of United fans did choose to support them in fairness. Especially internet United fans!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's kind of sad ;)
Not me - i just got sick of mocking my mate, singing such genius as "Man Utd are short sighted, tra la la la la lalalalalal"

Before then suddenly following him in support.

10 years old! Just before the glorious spell . Lovely.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not me - i just got sick of mocking my mate, singing such genius as "Man Utd are short sighted, tra la la la la lalalalalal"

Before then suddenly following him in support.

10 years old! Just before the glorious spell . Lovely.
Yeah, I also followed by my best kindergarten friend in supporting Leverkusen. The vast majority of people around here support Cologne so I know quite well how your mate must've felt, only that I never convinced anyone to join me in my decision :lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
My Icelandic team that I grew up playing with have been abysmal this season. It's know as the club with good fans (we were the only club with chants and original songs for years and years) and a yoyo club, frequently making it into top division but never managing to stay up. Women's side is the same way. Decent youth system. Trophies = 0. We dominate volleyball, have our history in handball but in football there's no succes and very little success at youth levels. I won one tournament when I was 12 and that was the first men's trophy at any level in football in a very long time. Only thing I ever won, got a few silver medals. I'm a lifelong United fan so through my childhood I experienced all the victories so I don't know what perspective I can offer other than that I'm used to losing so perhaps I was better prepared for the post-SAF era.

I do get what @Lay was saying about Wycombe. Being around your local club, even volunteering and traveling to away games in small venues makes you feel closer to the club. You basically have somewhat of a direct pipeline to the coach.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
99% of clubs are 'small clubs' in the sense that they are not in that elite bracket of your Bayerns, Madrid, Barca, Utd. This is like wondering why a billionaire can't relate to a family on average wage. In my experience there is a sense of entitlement that you get from some supporters of the 'big clubs' that you simply do not get at other clubs. Every supporter lives for those moments of glory - for Utd it would be a league win, for Carrick Rangers (as an example) it would be promotion or a win over rivals. We all have our goals for the club we love and they are within the reality of the situation of the club and our expectations are shaped by that. Big club supporters 'expect' success, other clubs 'hope' for success. This is why some supporters of 'big' clubs can't handle it at all when their club doesn't win stuff.
This is it for me. I support a second-division team (Eerste Divisie) in my home town in the Netherlands and had a season's ticket in the 90s. Back then, there was no relegation from the second division, and my team had zero chance of ever making it up, so there wasn't really anything big to hope for or fear. But none of that bothered me. There are no stand-out teams in the second division: the good ones get their promotion, and those that come down from the Eredivisie are often in an awful state and not above the rest. So every game is winnable in theory, and I would just go to the stadium hoping we'd give it a good go and maybe win it. There was a also a strong local rivalry, but that's just one match a year (I didn't attend away matches) and often included fighting back then (one match we had riot police around the away end), so that was tense (I'm really not a fighter myself) and not really about the football.
What I find weird is when fans of really big clubs try mocking me with stuff like "you're a seller club", "your trophy count is empty" etc. I mean, it's not like you've won those titles for your club yourself, did you? So that's nothing to brag about. I mean, you don't really choose your club, you just support it. And such stuff almost sounds as if people chose to support Bayern/United/etc. because they're successful, not because they just grew up like that.
And then they call other fans of some clubs 'plastics' - while clearly their club's trophies play a big role in their own self-esteem. I don't see much difference. I mean, I get the trophy rivalry between United and Liverpool, but if fans of those teams start laughing at, say, Bournemouth for not having won anything...