What is the best video game console of all time?

Dir Wangem

1. It doesn't mean it's good, either, or carries merit just for being a continuation. Notice the same criticism isn't levelled at Zelda, Mario Kart, SMB and so forth as their ports to the 3d realm were outstanding.

2. SSB is SSB. It doesn't even register for fans of the 'serious' fighting games. It's a niche with a die-hard following. It got added to the Evo roster at a later date and wasn't there at inception because it wasn't considered to be worth a place. SSB has little to no influence in the FGC as a whole.

3. As I said, the list gets very hazy and subjective quickly once the first few games are out of the way. The N64 doesn't have anything close to the strength in depth of other consoles because it had barely any 3rd party support and Nintendo and Rare couldn't fight the battle by themselves, which is where the N64 ended up falling off a cliff towards the end of its cycle whereas other consoles kept going even past the end of their production cycle.
1. I never said that all continuations were good. But the ones I listed certainly are.

2. This a completely different debate, but the Smash community considers Smash a fighting game. The also consider themselves a part of the FGC, even if most of them only really like Smash. But the same can be said of other game communities as well. There are people in the FPS community who only likes CS:GO. But regardless of all this, SSB is revoluationary in so many ways that I could create a whole new thread on the topic. I'll leave it at this: SSB has become Nintendo's arguably most important flag ship. And it started with SSB64.

3. There will be 8-9 games that 90% have in their top 5, but I feel that the same is true for PS1 too. Almost everyone have MSG, GTA, Tomb Raider, Tekken, FF and Grand Turismo in their top 5.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
My sister has a compilation game with all of those on it.. Mortal Kombat tbf was also available on the SNES, but the last 4 games weren't anything to write home about in hindsight. Vectorman is decent though but not an all time great game imo.

Sonic 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, still holds its own even today graphically and the multiplayer is addictive as feck.
Mortal kombat techincally wasn't on the SNES

What made it famous, the blood and fatalities were all removed from the SNES version

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Only the first one, no? I think all the other three had that stuff.
Funnily enough I fell for an April fools joke my gaming magazine I used to get hatched up

They claimed if I cellotaped a 2p coin to the cart and loaded it up the blood would be unlocked

I was not a smart boy

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I remember playing the first ever fifa on the mega drive and being absolutely blown away, so that's close.

I'd go for the PS1 though, the step up in games/graphics quality was incredible for that generation.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Mortal kombat techincally wasn't on the SNES

What made it famous, the blood and fatalities were all removed from the SNES version
I thought by ultimate MK that it all got included again.

Never played that one but yeah on megadrive MK was stunning.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
:lol: FFS.

I love the thought of some little kid taping a coin to his cartridge.
It wasnt until the next month when the next issue came out I realised I was being had

I assumed because it was an Irish 2p coin and not English there must have been a weight difference :(

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
It wasnt until the next month when the next issue came out I realised I was being had

I assumed because it was an Irish 2p coin and not English there must have been a weight difference :(
:lol: I'm sure you'd have felt better if you knew that in 20 years you'd be entertaining people on the internet with that story.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I never had the patience to try it, since you had to skip so much and come back with Surf without going on the boat(IIRC).
Ah right.

Luckily I never knew about it at the time, so I couldn't try it.
There is actually a real Mew glitch in the virtual console version of Pokemon Yellow. I might need to do it seeing as I missed the Mew event this year.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
There is actually a real Mew glitch in the virtual console version of Pokemon Yellow. I might need to do it seeing as I missed the Mew event this year.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I saw a video of it before and it's pretty mental what you have to do to get it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I remember playing the first ever fifa on the mega drive and being absolutely blown away, so that's close.
Loved that game. Running away from the referee is obviously a classic moment in football video games.

I still remember always playing as the Netherlands, because H. Van Smeiter was the best player in the game. Give the ball to Van Smeiter, run down the right wing and shoot when you're level with the edge of the penalty area = guaranteed goal. Used to love beating my mates like 20-0 or something by scoring the same goal repeatedly. Then they'd try to do it, but it only worked with that player. Good times.

buckooo1978

Playing Resident Evil on the PS2 was a watershed moment in gaming for me......

with he lights off that game was spooky! Can't think of a game that really had that effect on me beforehand

nice memories of playing Ecco the Dolphin and listening to the Pixies/Breeders/Nirvana etc....

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The 64 for me. All the obvious games people have mentioned as well as Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy. In my humble opinion they put the Playstation's Smackdown series to utter shame.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Loved that game. Running away from the referee is obviously a classic moment in football video games.

I still remember always playing as the Netherlands, because H. Van Smeiter was the best player in the game. Give the ball to Van Smeiter, run down the right wing and shoot when you're level with the edge of the penalty area = guaranteed goal. Used to love beating my mates like 20-0 or something by scoring the same goal repeatedly. Then they'd try to do it, but it only worked with that player. Good times.
:lol: I remember getting into a few arguments with mates due to running away from the ref for unreasonable amounts of time, particularly if I was losing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
PS1. A huge step up from previous consoles and set the bar with games like Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, MGS, Tekken, Wipeout, Tony Hawk - look at that list!

Nothing comes close.

SNES is just the go to option for oldies (was actually my first console because my mum and dad wouldn't get me a Megadrive until later on).

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Easily the N64 for me. Technically the most advanced console of it's time ever and Nintendo lead the way in the complete jump to 3D.

The PS1 had great games, but was also flooded with shite due to no quality control from Sony to grab market share, and the PS2 era started the whole dumbing down of console games.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Funnily enough I fell for an April fools joke my gaming magazine I used to get hatched up

They claimed if I cellotaped a 2p coin to the cart and loaded it up the blood would be unlocked

I was not a smart boy
:lol:

Believe it or not, I actually completed the entire arcade game of Streetfighter 2 with 1 perfect and no round loses on each character, including the bosses. It took a lot of money and many months of trying. Imagine my disappointment still to this day when Sheng Long never came out of the bell :(

Still it actually helped in some way, I later went to Trocadero and randomly joined a competition and absolutely slaughtered a load of oriental kids to win the grand prize thanks to my skills, apparently some of them were 'known' players too :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
1. I never said that all continuations were good. But the ones I listed certainly are.

2. This a completely different debate, but the Smash community considers Smash a fighting game. The also consider themselves a part of the FGC, even if most of them only really like Smash. But the same can be said of other game communities as well. There are people in the FPS community who only likes CS:GO. But regardless of all this, SSB is revoluationary in so many ways that I could create a whole new thread on the topic. I'll leave it at this: SSB has become Nintendo's arguably most important flag ship. And it started with SSB64.

3. There will be 8-9 games that 90% have in their top 5, but I feel that the same is true for PS1 too. Almost everyone have MSG, GTA, Tomb Raider, Tekken, FF and Grand Turismo in their top 5.
1. I feel like you're deliberately missing the point.

2. You'd be in a extremely select few who would put SSB into a discussion with proper fighters with a straight face. I feel you're going off on a tangent that hasn't got much to do with what I'm saying. There's not a single fighting gamer who would have bought an N64 to play fighting games.

3. Other machines do not have such a curve and drop off because their catalogue of games and support is a hell of a lot deeper due to the third party support. The SNES, for example, can comfortably go 1:1 until the N64 has nothing left and have a vast catalogue of games in reserve that have no equal on the N64.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
My sister has a compilation game with all of those on it.. Mortal Kombat tbf was also available on the SNES, but the last 4 games weren't anything to write home about in hindsight. Vectorman is decent though but not an all time great game imo.

Sonic 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, still holds its own even today graphically and the multiplayer is addictive as feck.
I might be mistaken but I don't think the SNES mortal kombat had blood in it, which was the games appeal.

I thought comix zone was brilliant, very unique for its time.

It also had Gunstar, shinobi 3 and road rash. classics.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
:lol:

Believe it or not, I actually completed the entire arcade game of Streetfighter 2 with 1 perfect and no round loses on each character, including the bosses. It took a lot of money and many months of trying. Imagine my disappointment still to this day when Sheng Long never came out of the bell :(

Still it actually helped in some way, I later went to Trocadero and randomly joined a competition and absolutely slaughtered a load of oriental kids to win the grand prize thanks to my skills, apparently some of them were 'known' players too :lol:
I tried that Sheng Long trick too :lol:

We might have actually met as I used to play street fighter and tekken in tournaments in trocaderro back in the day. I won a few and made shit load of money, which, like a dumb idiot, I spent back in the arcades :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I might be mistaken but I don't think the SNES mortal kombat had blood in it, which was the games appeal.

I thought comix zone was brilliant, very unique for its time.

It also had Gunstar, shinobi 3 and road rash. classics.
Wasn't there a code u could input to make 'blood' appear on MK instead of water?