What is the best video game console of all time?

Dir Wangem

Personally, barring mario 64 I wasn't a big fan of the N64.
Hmm, despite being a great game, Mario 64 isn't even among my top 10 favorites on the console. I guess it boils down to what type of games you like also. I don't like racing games and traditional fighting games(like Tekken), so that puts a big dent in PS1 for me.

I see people making lists, so I'll make one too:

1. N64
2. SNES
3. PS2

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
N64 the console that set the mold for most of the type of games you will find on the modern day console and which still boast the game most still consider to be the greatest of all time in Zelda The Ocarina Of Time.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The most ahead of it's time and one that also had some great games was the Neo-Geo. It was so far ahead the other at the time it was like it arrived through a time machine.

Brocky

...PS1 has been reduced to Tekken, GTA and Crash Bandicoot.

I don't like racing games and traditional fighting games(like Tekken), so that puts a big dent in PS1 for me.
Out of the entire, huge, PS library, your opinion is based on three games? :houllier:

Did you play any of the games/series I listed?

Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, Tenchu, Twisted Metal, Tekken, Wipeout, Ace Combat, Driver.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
:lol:

Bang on!

If we're counting Commodore, which I don't think we should, then the C64 shits all over the Amiga.
We should absolutely include Commodore. They were plugged into TVs and were primarily for games, unlike PCs, which only the very high-end machines are capable of even playing games.

But I disagree about the C64. I had one, and it holds a lot of nostalgia for me (bloody loved Buggy Boy), but the Amiga was an enormous upgrade, and games like Sensible World of Soccer and Cannon Fodder still hold a bit of replay value today (I still play SWOS). I can't think of a single C64 game I would want to play now, nor would I want to wait 10 minutes for it to load.

Dir Wangem

Out of the entire, huge, PS library, your opinion is based on three games?
No no, I played many more. But those are somehow the 3 series I remember the most.

About half of them. My point still stands.

I've always thought about Tomb Raider(great games) as PC games, as I never played them on the PS1, so thanks for reminding me about those! PS1 immediately became a better console.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
We should absolutely include Commodore. They were plugged into TVs and were primarily for games, unlike PCs, which only the very high-end machines are capable of even playing games.

But I disagree about the C64. I had one, and it holds a lot of nostalgia for me (bloody loved Buggy Boy), but the Amiga was an enormous upgrade, and games like Sensible World of Soccer and Cannon Fodder still hold a bit of replay value today (I still play SWOS). I can't think of a single C64 game I would want to play now, nor would I want to wait 10 minutes for it to load.
If we're including the Amiga 500, that will close to the top of my list.

SWOS, Champ Manager, Monkey Island, Lemmings, Dune 2, Settlers, Speedball 2. Some of my favourite games ever.

Brocky

I take your point. Hmm....yeah, I guess they should be included.

Of course the Amiga was a giant upgrade on the C64 but, going by that logic, the answer to the thread is PS4 without question. :)

Don't forget, a huge chunk of Amiga games started out on the C64 and were just upgraded for the new machine - itself an upgrade of the C64. The C64 was pretty groundbreaking when it came along.

That said, Sensi and Cannon Fodder are two of my all-time favourite games. Great shouts.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I take your point. Hmm....yeah, I guess they should be included.

Of course the Amiga was a giant upgrade on the C64 but, going by that logic, the answer to the thread is PS4 without question. :)

Don't forget, a huge chunk of Amiga games started out on the C64 and were just upgraded for the new machine - itself an upgrade of the C64. The C64 was pretty groundbreaking when it came along.

That said, Sensi and Cannon Fodder are two of my all-time favourite games. Great shouts.
True. Buggy Boy was C64, and then shifted to the Amiga. It wasn't the same on the Amiga though.

Fair point about upgrades actually. I was a bit too young and only caught the tail-end of the C64, and remember being blown away when we got an Amiga.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Out of the entire, huge, PS library, your opinion is based on three games? :houllier:

Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, Tenchu, Twisted Metal, Tekken, Wipeout, Ace Combat, Driver.
Gran Turismo 3 was a revolution for it's time too, miles better than Gran Turismo 4 for it's time. Metal Gear Solid still get's talked about today, as genre defining and brilliant. I was never a big fan of Driver; I liked the first mission and then got bored. GTA 3 blew it out the water a few years later.

Spyro 2 was an underrated gem (that draw distance), and Spyro 1 and 3 aren't too bad either.

I'm currently teaching my Son to play video games by playing the PS1 game "Disney Action Game Featuring Hercules" which was surprisingly hard and fun.

Edit - Gran Turismo 3 is a PS2 game :lol:

Last edited:

Brocky

True. Buggy Boy was C64, and then shifted to the Amiga. It wasn't the same on the Amiga though.

Fair point about upgrades actually. I was a bit too young and only caught the tail-end of the C64, and remember being blown away when we got an Amiga.
Look through a list of C64 titles and see how many you remember on the Amiga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Commodore_64_games

The thing that makes the 64 better than the Amiga in a GOAT sense is that it was the machine that brought arcade games into the home on a huge scale. The Amiga just expanded on that.

Brocky

I can't think of a single C64 game I would want to play now, nor would I want to wait 10 minutes for it to load.
Who cares about 10 minute loading screens when you've got this to keep you entertained? :D

The 47 seconds part onward still gives me chills to this day. The sound chip is another reason the 64 trumps Amiga. Again, groundbreaking at the time.

If Weaste was here, he'd back me up.

rcoobc

I think the PS1 had a lot more "good" games than the N64, and just about edged it with the "great" games.

Me and my cousin would play this racing game on the SNES for hours and hours every week, but I can't remember what it's called now

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The PS3 was great for me. I could use it to browse online, play games, play my music, play dvd and blu ray movies on it.

Brocky

Gran Turismo 3 was a revolution for it's time too, miles better than Gran Turismo 4 for it's time. Metal Gear Solid still get's talked about today, as genre defining and brilliant. I was never a big fan of Driver; I liked the first mission and then got bored. GTA 3 blew it out the water a few years later.

Spyro 2 was an underrated gem (that draw distance), and Spyro 1 and 3 aren't too bad either.

I'm currently teaching my Son to play video games by playing the PS1 game "Disney Action Game Featuring Hercules" which was surprisingly hard and fun.

Edit - Gran Turismo 3 is a PS2 game :lol:
My list, if I'm not mistaken, are all PS exclusive....or were, originally....and were all huge games/series, imo.

I never played Spyro, although I remember my younger sister played it at a mate's house, borrowed it and then hijacked my PS for weeks playing it. *Edit* Just reading that back gave me a flashback of me using CQC moves (MGS) in an attempt to get her off it one time. I made her cry and then my mum did a 'The Boss' on me and whooped me with some CQC of her own! :(

I don't have kids but this surely has to be one of the coolest things about having one, up there with first footy match and the like.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
I got the most fun out of my PS2.

Splashdown, PES 5 and 6, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and LOTR: Return of the King. :drool:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Yeah I was looking at that trying to work it out.

Micro Machines!

I'm sure it wasn't even a good game by Gen 4 standards, but we had so much fun

I like Micro Machines, but always suffer from not being able to see what's coming up. No matter how many times I'd play a particular track, I'd always forget about something.

rcoobc

I like Micro Machines, but always suffer from not being able to see what's coming up. No matter how many times I'd play a particular track, I'd always forget about something.
The thing we loved was that it was 4 player, which was just ridiculously funny.

I was talking to my brother today about playing 4 player split screen Timesplitters, and apparently he'd never played it!

Am I right in saying Goldeneye was 4 player splitscreen as well?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
The thing we loved was that it was 4 player, which was just ridiculously funny.

I was talking to my brother today about playing 4 player split screen Timesplitters, and apparently he'd never played it!

Am I right in saying Goldeneye was 4 player splitscreen as well?
Never played Timesplitters? You should give him a slap.

Yeah Goldeneye had 4 players.

Ixion

The thing with the N64 and SNES are most people will list the same games when talking about the best games for those consoles. The PS1/2 had such a huge libary of games you could get a completely different list from person to person, and they have basically every genre covered.

Ainu

Original Playstation for me. Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 1/2, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1/2/3, Final Fantasy 7/8/9, Tony Hawk 1/2, Tekken games, Driver, Dino Crisis 1/2 and so, so many others. It's actually ridiculous. What a time that was. PS2 honourable second due to its sheer catalogue. Never owned a Nintendo system so can't comment on them.

rcoobc

Never played Timesplitters? You should give him a slap.

Yeah Goldeneye had 4 players.
I can't believe Time Crisis 2 isn't on the PS Store (none of the games are?!) Can you get Goldeneye on anything up to date?

This is terrible

Dir Wangem

SNES and PS1 are running away with it so far. After a quick count, there seems to be about 5 votes for each system. N64 and PS2 are in the next tier, with 3 votes each.

A poll would be nice.

rcoobc

SNES and PS1 are running away with it so far. After a quick count, there seems to be about 5 votes for each system. N64 and PS2 are in the next tier, with 3 votes each.

A poll would be nice.
Do polls stifle debate a bit? Most people here probably haven't played a NES, Atari or C64 either

Dir Wangem

Do polls stifle debate a bit? Most people here probably haven't played a NES, Atari or C64 either
That's a fair point.

I'm surprised to not see more love for N64. Could it be because the most hardcore N64 fans are in their late twenties and therefore out drinking now?:p

To the other SNES fans in here: did you ever play 'Biker Mice From Mars' or 'Hook'? They're not so famous, but I enjoyed them a lot.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
That's a fair point.

I'm surprised to not see more love for N64. Could it be because the most hardcore N64 fans are in their late twenties and therefore out drinking now?:p

To the other SNES fans in here: did you ever play 'Biker Mice From Mars' or 'Hook'? They're not so famous, but I enjoyed them a lot.
I have Hook and have played it a bit. It's good, but I remember getting stuck on one level which was a bit tricky and haven't gone back to it since. I will some time though!

It was made by the same people that made Skyblazer, which is another lesser known SNES game. It's great!

Dir Wangem

I have Hook and have played it a bit. It's good, but I remember getting stuck on one level which was a bit tricky and haven't gone back to it since. I will some time though!
'Hook' is a ridiculously tricky game, but that is also some of its appeal. It's especially hard when you learn how to fly and have to navigate through places with spikes. Not to mention, your flying ability is not unlimited and it wont charge until you find more fairy dust. It's easy to get stuck in shitty places.

The best SNES game has to be Megaman X, though. I still listen to the soundtrack from that game.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
'Hook' is a ridiculously tricky game, but that is also some of its appeal. It's especially hard when you learn how to fly and have to navigate through places with spikes. Not to mention, your flying ability is not unlimited and it wont charge until you find more fairy dust. It's easy to get stuck in shitty places.

The best SNES game has to be Megaman X, though. I still listen to the soundtrack from that game.
The level I got stuck on from what I can remember had you going along some water. I'm not sure if you were surfing along or what.

Mega Man X is indeed great. Not in my personal top few, but it's definitely up there in general with the great SNES games.

Cina

Super Bomberman 2 with an emulator, 2 PCs, and 4 people, is the most fun anyone will ever have multiplayer. I'd say it was a right larf on the SNES too.

Anyway I don't give a particular toss what the best console is but gaming probably wouldn't have become as popular and mainstream without the PS1 so I guess that.

rcoobc

The ps3/360 gen had such a tough existance. The ps3 was obviously a mistake to begin with making development hard. Then suddenly the iPhone came along, and the Wii came along. They kept the generation around far longer than they should have, because releasing an update that no one buys would be a disaster (saw Wii u)

Not quite as bad as the 2nd console generation though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I am actually going to go and say the PS4. I always had a bigger library on the PS1 and PS2, but I've never enjoyed my gaming as much as I am currently doing now. The PS4 has refined the social elements and playing co-operatively with my mates online is probably the best experience I've ever had on a console.
That's the worst aspect of new consoles for me. It's shit how they've phased out the option to play most games on split screen with your mates.