What is the best way to line up our midfield with our current players?

Motorman

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka....Varane....Maguire.....Shaw.....
Bruno....McTominay....Pogba
Greenwood.........Ronaldo.......... .Sancho..​

OrcaFat

No I wouldn't. I think if everyone is fit, Rashford is still our best option from the left in most games.
If Rashford gets fit and back to his best he’ll be great. Unfortunately Pogba’s best position is also LAM, it seems.

The midfield looks better when Pogba plays but not actually in the midfield. He gives the donkeys an option for a short pass and he influences the game a lot from that position.

I wouldn’t be happy about leaving Rashford out but in most games, given current CM personnel, I prefer Pogba at LAM. Rash can play sometimes and he can also rotate with the other forwards and still get plenty of games.

IF we had more quality in CM then the options open up further. Possibly then we have Rashford starting most games at LAM and Pogba alternating with Bruno and Sancho and getting a few games at LAM as well.

But we don’t have quality in CM. We have donkeys - loveable donkeys, but still.

croadyman

If Rashford gets fit and back to his best he’ll be great. Unfortunately Pogba’s best position is also LAM, it seems.

The midfield looks better when Pogba plays but not actually in the midfield. He gives the donkeys an option for a short pass and he influences the game a lot from that position.

I wouldn’t be happy about leaving Rashford out but in most games, given current CM personnel, I prefer Pogba at LAM. Rash can play sometimes and he can also rotate with the other forwards and still get plenty of games.

IF we had more quality in CM then the options open up further. Possibly then we have Rashford starting most games at LAM and Pogba alternating with Bruno and Sancho and getting a few games at LAM as well.

But we don’t have quality in CM. We have donkeys - loveable donkeys, but still.
Yeah people who describe us as a ring doughnut are spot on because there is a bloody great hole in the middle

UnitedAkhi

Donny and Mctom should be trialled as it has a reasonable balance. Donny is the one who can progress the ball. He would link well with sancho with quick 1,2s.

Bruno is the other worry. Plays like a striker almost on the last man. Now we have Ronny he needs to play deeper. His glory balls mean we turn over possesion a lot. He may have to sacrifice some of his goal return to be an effective cog in the team but he has the attributes and most importantly the smarts to adapt.
Against Wolves our midfield was overrun as he was so high waiting for pogs long through balls. This doesnt play to the strengths of people like sancho. We need to mix it up.

Ole also may consider a back 3 with Bruno behind ronny and cavani up front, then maguire, varane or lindo can step into midfield and shaw and AWB have the speed/stamina to get up and down the wing. If we also play Donny this will offer more protection.

Cman

I think it’s going to take a while for Ole to find out what works best and our opposition each week will prob be a factor in terms of formation and players. Formation will prob change during each game as well with so many option off the bench.
With so many options my biggest hope is that Ole can mange’s them all and keep the squad in good form not just the same 11-13 players as has been the case over past 2 years.
We really need to play our fringe players into form. If we canget Donny playing a role for us this year it would go along ways to sorting out midfield problem.
We also have to reward form players and not just big names. If Ronaldo isn’t firing and Cavani is then he starts, if Greenwood is in the best form up top then play him, same goes for Bruno if he’s in poor form.
Will be interesting to see how Ole goes managing egos and form.
Ole’s first real test ?!?!

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Our best 11 currently would involve McFred with Pogba at LW.

Bingo.

when Rashford comes back, he and Pogba for the most part will be sharing that position. Maybe at times Pogba will play alongside 1 of McFred in midfield against weaker sides. Regardless, Ole’s reds will continue where they left off from last season having the most ruthless bench in world football. People tend to forget how impactful the quality depth we had/have will change the outcomes of matches.

ole@thewheel

It's looking like we won't sign anyone else this window, which is fair given our incoming players so far.

Assuming we need to make do with our current squad, what's the best tactics or formation to get the best of this team?

1. Continue with McFred - we have enough threat and creativity among the front 4 to sort of make this work. And they have been decent against most teams, and good against the top teams. This is the most likely scenario.
  2. 433 with one of Fred or McTominay holding - this is likely to cause us to lose the midfield battle, and also makes it easy for opposition to run through it. But this would likely give DVB a better chance of playing along with one of Bruno or Pogba. And effectively rotating Fred and McTominay would ensure we don't collapse if one of them get injured.
  3. Change of formation - If we play a back 3, we might be able to play Pogba and one of McFred as the midfield 2. We have enough CBs to make this happen. Major concern is AWB not being good offensively would hindee this a lot.

What do you guys this is the most balanced starting 11 against a) top teams b) rest of the matches?
A mix between 1 and 3 but definitely not 2.

As it was clear as day on our last game vs Wolves playing Fred as a single pivot is tactical suicide. Ole basicaly had to change the shape within 15 minutes by dropping Pogba further down to help him.

Let me make my point against #2:

Fred is is just not used to have the discipline to hold to center as he played all is career as either a "carrilero" or box to box midfielder which is totally different role from a deep sitting midfielder. Would take a miracle for him to learn at this stage of his career. Even if he can, his physical and technical attributes would definitely make him a liability, making it not worthy of a try.

I fear that with McT we will have similar issues. Although he has several advantages compared to Fred, physicality/height and age (he can still change his game) among most obvious.

Matic is our one and only true single midfield pivot, and even the 27 version of him was not at his best at that role (he played mostly as part of double pivot at Chelsea with Kante at his best).

My point towards #3:

Playing 3 at the back would not mean having one less attacking player on the pitch. Especially given that you basicaly dont have anyone capable of playing a single DM role on the squad (you need two! see my point below).

But, it would mean that you will have 3 (better) players that have the technical and physical abilities to fill the "hole" and pass forward without a need of a midfielder for that. This means that players like Pogba/VdB/Bruno/Lingard are effectively free to do what they do best. Call me crazy but I even think that a trio of any three of the above would work in this instance!

The only handicap of #3 is RWB position, but hey, I believe that Dalot/AWB will do okay. They are young and learning!

My take on "good old 4231" point 1:

First, I think Ole definitely is trying to move away from this. You can see from Trippier/Rice 'genuine' rumours that he was definitely gravitating towards a hybrid 433/532 for this season. Keeping Lingard,VdB and 6 first team central defenders is another clue towards that.

Second, I think that it will not be an as radical change of formations this season as it was rumoured. Meaning that Ole will continue his 4231 most of the games with McFred/Pogba duos but he will definitely try to shift to 532 gradually.

We will definitely see 532 most of the big games and maybe some moderate away games.

Diabovermelho

McFred is the way. Pogba should play most of the games as a LW, but when he drops to the pivot, it should be with Scott. They played together in the Europa Final, and i think it worked. Scott had a great game.

Now we have so much depth in the attack, it's possible to have Cavani, Martial, Rashford on the bench, that's surreal.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
McFred
Greenwood Bruno Pogba
Ronaldo​

To me this is our most balanced starting lineup.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I actually think it’ll just be McTominay for most of the lesser teams. He’s quick, strong, tall, very good engine, combative, carries the ball well and his passing is good enough.
Mctominay is everything but passing (well sort of). He is one of the worst passer of ball we ever had in midfield, in my honest opinion.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Mctominay is everything but passing (well sort of). He is one of the worst passer of ball we ever had in midfield, in my honest opinion.
I think his weaknesses are positional play in the buildup phase and long though balls. However I think he's quite good at receiving the ball in pressure and dribbling it out of pressure or winning a foul, which helps us progress up the pitch in a different way and beat the press. And he has decent vision and can fizz a vertical pass into a forward's feet a bit like Carrick but his accuracy is not amazing. But he also gives us good heading at the back and is good at gathering up 2nd balls which helps us maintain pressure. And has a decent shot on him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think his weaknesses are positional play in the buildup phase and long though balls. However I think he's quite good at receiving the ball in pressure and dribbling it out of pressure or winning a foul, which helps us progress up the pitch in a different way and beat the press. And he has decent vision and can fizz a vertical pass into a forward's feet a bit like Carrick but his accuracy is not amazing. But he also gives us good heading at the back and is good at gathering up 2nd balls which helps us maintain pressure. And has a decent shot on him.
“Not amazing” is a polite way to put it. His passing has been at times horrible. But other than passing, I am happy with his overall workrate and contribution.

lex talionis

Excellent question for debate.

It has to be McFred — Fredominay is too cumbersome to type — until either Fred or Scott step up to manage the role by himself, which may never happen.

But with all this attacking firepower once Sancho and Ronaldo get their feet sorted out we don’t need Fred or Scott to be the next Carrick. We just need either to not be the spastic clown that Fred was on what surely must have been the worst football performance (I’d hate to see him in bed with Mrs. Fred) of his life.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Either we get Pogba of the left and Bruno from the 10 (or the RW) dropping deep and helping us match the opponents numbers in the middle and also in linking up the play, or

We move to the below structure but I personally don't think it suits us as A) we'd have no wide forwards which doesn't suit us B) we'd have to leave out an attacker C) AWB is poor in attack which means right side would die a slow and painful death D) I quite like Pogba coming off the left

Lindelof Varane Maguire
AWB Pogba Fred Shaw
Bruno
Greenwood Ronaldo

AttackAttackAttack

I’d love to see an old school 4-4-2 for some games where we just whip in crosses

de gea
Awb-Varane-maguire-shaw
Sancho-Scotty-Pogba-greenwood
Cavani-ronaldo

I just want to see a bunch of headed goals

Canagel

Pogba advanced is the key. Get him on the ball in the last third of the pitch and let him do his work we can beat any team and will score in every game.

That is why we dominated Tottenham away, Roma home last season, Leeds home etc and many more because of his position in the midfield.

And when he is played too deep we look awful and don't create anything (EL final, Wolves game etc)

Any midfield that allows us to play him as the most advanced midfielder is acceptable from me

LoneStar

A mix between 1 and 3 but definitely not 2.

As it was clear as day on our last game vs Wolves playing Fred as a single pivot is tactical suicide. Ole basicaly had to change the shape within 15 minutes by dropping Pogba further down to help him.

Let me make my point against #2:

Fred is is just not used to have the discipline to hold to center as he played all is career as either a "carrilero" or box to box midfielder which is totally different role from a deep sitting midfielder. Would take a miracle for him to learn at this stage of his career. Even if he can, his physical and technical attributes would definitely make him a liability, making it not worthy of a try.

I fear that with McT we will have similar issues. Although he has several advantages compared to Fred, physicality/height and age (he can still change his game) among most obvious.

Matic is our one and only true single midfield pivot, and even the 27 version of him was not at his best at that role (he played mostly as part of double pivot at Chelsea with Kante at his best).

My point towards #3:

Playing 3 at the back would not mean having one less attacking player on the pitch. Especially given that you basicaly dont have anyone capable of playing a single DM role on the squad (you need two! see my point below).

But, it would mean that you will have 3 (better) players that have the technical and physical abilities to fill the "hole" and pass forward without a need of a midfielder for that. This means that players like Pogba/VdB/Bruno/Lingard are effectively free to do what they do best. Call me crazy but I even think that a trio of any three of the above would work in this instance!

The only handicap of #3 is RWB position, but hey, I believe that Dalot/AWB will do okay. They are young and learning!

My take on "good old 4231" point 1:

First, I think Ole definitely is trying to move away from this. You can see from Trippier/Rice 'genuine' rumours that he was definitely gravitating towards a hybrid 433/532 for this season. Keeping Lingard,VdB and 6 first team central defenders is another clue towards that.

Second, I think that it will not be an as radical change of formations this season as it was rumoured. Meaning that Ole will continue his 4231 most of the games with McFred/Pogba duos but he will definitely try to shift to 532 gradually.

We will definitely see 532 most of the big games and maybe some moderate away games.
I agree with your points about playing 3 at the back. It would nullify the lack of midfield options. But I don't think either of AWB or Dalot (maybe) will cut it for playing as a wingback.

It's a crucial position in that formation, and having someone like AWB who is average at attacking wouldn't work. Opposition teams would just let him have the ball, knowing he won't do anything. Having Trippier would be the solution for that i guess.