What is the definitive greatest De Gea save?

Tee27

That save from the Mata free kick felt like a turning point in his career here. Was getting hammered for his performances but that save seemed to turn his fortunes.

I remember being in awe seeing it, was hit right in the top corner.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Mata free kick comes to mind first which probably means that it is the best one.

daveskimufc

There's a few off the top of my head, the one recently (I think in Europe) where he had to dive backwards to claw out, the save Vs Suarez was just mental, that had goal written all over it.

This season the tip over Vs palace. But the standout for me has to be Vs Oviedo, crowd of players saw it late, full stretch. The peak of his powers

Ceteris

The double save against Arsenal, made 14 saves that game too

lonelyred

There is probably a dozen candidates for ”the definitive greatest de Gea save” in this video, if not more.

Impediment… :rolleyes:

ETHisaRed

Mata freekick, Coutinho at Anfield, Baines at OT in 14/15 to save the game vs Everton. Giaccherini at the Stadium of Light in the Januzaj game. Four of his craziest saves.
Definitely Sunderland away for me, followed by Arsenal away (double save)

DavidDeSchmikes

So many to choose from (off the top of my head)

-The Mata free kick save, saved us a point after having come from 3-0 down away at Stamford Bridge. Prior to the Chelsea game, De Gea last 2 games were the FA Cup away defeat to Liverpool and the 2-3 defeat to Blackburn.
-The double save at the Emirates, same game he made a great save from Lukaku from scoring an own goal
-Suarez save in 2014 at OT
-Oviedo save in 2014
-Torres header (it was behind him)
-That save against Leicester was pretty good (0-0 at the time)
-Save from Henderson's shot at Anfield in 2020

One forgotten save was against Fulham away in the 2012/13, crucial game we won 1-0 to go 10 points clear.
0-0 De Gea pushes a Ruiz shot with fingertips that no commentator picked up on

Alemar

Save from Lukaku bicycle kick own goal attempt also great

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The one where he used his legs than his hands. I forgot which one that was.

Dempsey19

All the same at the end of the day. He was paid to make saves. That's his job.

Roy Keane

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The one that never gets mentioned is the save from Fabio Coentrao against Madrid in the champions league with his foot. For me one of the best saves of all time and left me in absolute shock at the time. Not sure if my memory has elevated it, but I just remember thinking no other keeper gets close to that one!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Seem to remember an amazing one agaisnt Hazard too where he broke through 1v1. As others have said truly too many to count. Don’t think another keeper has a catalogue quite so spectacular!

Dempsey19

There's a great save too against Suarez I'm sure, to me it was a nailed on goal. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong so it could of just been a poor finish by Suarez but I think it happened during his prolific time. Too drunk to get a clip.

JediSith

Like asking what was Messi’s best goal.

But the Mata save was probably the most important for him because it came at a time when the pundits and media were really going in hard on him.

Tyrion

Like asking what was Messi’s best goal.

But the Mata save was probably the most important for him because it came at a time when the pundits and media were really going in hard on him.
They really were desperate to slate him. I remember Redknapp reciting some stat (no context obv) from his time in Spain about conceding long range goals and it became accepted that he was terrible at them. Iirc there was speculation about his eyesight as if Spain doesn't have opticians.

Wrecking ralf

De Gea for all his faults has made some of the greatest saves I’ve ever seen and I’m 38. I’d love to see his best out against the best of big Pete and Edwin’s and have them compared for our best ever save by a keeper

RC89

I don't know about save but I remember that performance v Liverpool where Sterling was still playing for them. Incredible performance. Can't remember what season it was now, nor the result even.

RC89

I know VDS regularly gets mentioned above DDG, and while he has clear strengths over DDG, I actually think at their best for us DDG was better and for a number of seasons too.

At no point did I think VDS was TBITW in his time here. But for a few consecutive seasons I thought DDG might just be. Of course he's part of the teams that post Fergie won little but VDS for as good as he was gets elevated for his trophy haul.

VDS was very good for sure, but DDG regularly used to make you wonder how he's managed what he's just done, and he'd surprise you all over again by doing it again and again. His clean sheet record is largely down to him and not the team ahead of him, unlike some other keepers with great records.

Tap

This is the one that sticks in my mind. Mourinho days wasn't it? They absolutely battered us and he was unbeatable.
I think it was in Ole’s early days when Jose was just sacked

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think it was in Ole’s early days when Jose was just sacked
Yeah, it was Ole's time then. However, I dont think one save apart which came towards the end, there was any save that made me go "how has he saved that"

CoopersDream

No definitive greatest save. One save that I particularly remember is a save from a deflected that he clawed out on the goalline close to his right post. How he managed to get to that is pretty incredible. At about 1:06 in this video

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

2:39 in this one.

How the feck can someone react so quick to something they had 0.0001 seconds to even see?
It's not in this clip, but somewhere on Youtube, there's a camera angle of this save where you can see that DDG didn't see the ball until the very last moment. outrageous save that.
Some great saves there. The fact that there are clips of Torrres’ shots shows you how long DDG has been here for. I know it been 12 years but for me Torres belongs to a different era.

Good luck Dave.

Prodigy24

The first one I always think of is his save against Everton at the end of the game. It's incredible how he managed to get up and still see the ball coming through multiple players in front of him and yet keep it out.

Jordan_mufc

Seem to remember an amazing one agaisnt Hazard too where he broke through 1v1. As others have said truly too many to count. Don’t think another keeper has a catalogue quite so spectacular!
This was an amazing save, very annoying that Drogba scored from the resulting corner.

Skills

Snitch
The Mata freekock, it was the turning point.
Yeah for his career here. I don't think anyone really understood why we'd got him for so much money up until that point - but that unbelievable save, made everyone pay attention.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This was an amazing save, very annoying that Drogba scored from the resulting corner.
The same thing happened with his Stoke save which I don't think has got a mention yet. Incredible save, but then they scored from the reuslting corner...

Simbo

Now his watch has ended, think it's time the RedCafe reaches a consenus on just what is the greatest David De Gea save.

There's an absolute ton of contenders, so I'll get the ball rolling with hia save vs Everton from Oviedo in 2014 - to this day the greatest save I've seen live in the flesh.

It's in this video a the end - some other contenders in there also:

Its the 2nd one for me. The fact its a pure reaction save despite being smashed to his side from close range blows my mind. Every other keeper in the world is just guessing which way to go at that point.