What is the definitive greatest De Gea save?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Now his watch has ended, think it's time the RedCafe reaches a consenus on just what is the greatest David De Gea save.

There's an absolute ton of contenders, so I'll get the ball rolling with hia save vs Everton from Oviedo in 2014 - to this day the greatest save I've seen live in the flesh.

It's in this video a the end - some other contenders in there also:

Revan

Assumptionman
Mata for me.

Last minute of a match in which we have come from 3-0 to 3-3. It looked as a good free kick as it can be. Chelsea players and fans were celebrating already. Then he saved it.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Too many worldies to recall. It's just a blur at this stage. I do remember that he was particularly nasty against Arsenal. They really hate him :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Dunno about his best save but I’d say his best match was probably the one against Arsenal when he had like 14 saves or whatever it was.

ScholesyTheWise

2:39 in this one.

How the feck can someone react so quick to something they had 0.0001 seconds to even see?
It's not in this clip, but somewhere on Youtube, there's a camera angle of this save where you can see that DDG didn't see the ball until the very last moment. outrageous save that.

Idxomer

Agree about the Everton save, that one was extra special.

Rockets Redglare

Mata for me.

Last minute of a match in which we have come from 3-0 to 3-3. It looked as a good free kick as it can be. Chelsea players and fans were celebrating already. Then he saved it.

That’s the save I always come back to. Absolutely unbelievable.

Bebe

There was one on Coentrao in the 12/13(?) Madrid CL tie with the barest fingertip on to the post. Ludicrous save.

Torres for me. The ball was already past him.

There was a period of time where he learned how to close the angles better and it felt like you couldn't get the ball past him.

Ibi Dreams

The Chelsea free kick is the one that sticks in the mind most. It looked a certain goal, couldn't have been placed better and yet he got there

ScholesyTheWise

There was one on Coentrao in the 12/13(?) Madrid CL tie with the barest fingertip on to the post. Ludicrous save.
Yeah, that one too. with all the faults in his game (which became clearer as the years went by), DDG was such a freak of nature.

Cole9

I mentioned this one too in the other thread. Amazing save.

Red_Aaron

I've always liked this one

The video is ridiculous but tbf it does sum it up. It's not as eye catching as some of his others but from this distance he had absolutely no right to get to this ball. I remember this being at the peak of his hot streak, we were awful defensively so gave up tonnes of chances but it felt like nothing would ever get past him

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There's been a lot but he had this one against Soton away where he clawed it out of the net that I remember vividly.

It was Martial's second game for us, IIRC, Martial scored two goals and we won 2-1 or 3-2 and Dave was basically the reason we won.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever about best, the ones that immediately jump to my mind are the saves against Mata, Everton and the double save against Arsenal.

On a broader point, I think my favourite type of save aesthetically are the ones where it already seems to be past the goalkeeper and they just about claw it away in near slow motion.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Mata for me.

+1

/ thread

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Suarez one v Liverpool when we were 2-0 down under Moyes.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He definitely has the best reflexes of any keeper I can recall. Just a real pity in a sense he was never able to develop the rest of his game - he could have comfortably been the best in the world for a while.

Great servant to the club, right time for all to move on imo.

Dannn411

Mata freekick, Coutinho at Anfield, Baines at OT in 14/15 to save the game vs Everton. Giaccherini at the Stadium of Light in the Januzaj game. Four of his craziest saves.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Mata for me.

My mate was there, in line with the post and still to this day says he thinks it was unsaveable and the perfect free kick.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Now his watch has ended, think it's time the RedCafe reaches a consenus on just what is the greatest David De Gea save.

There's an absolute ton of contenders, so I'll get the ball rolling with hia save vs Everton from Oviedo in 2014 - to this day the greatest save I've seen live in the flesh.

Jesus…what a keeper.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
yes! first thought it was a missed shot, there's only one (hard to find) replay angle that shows he gave it the extra centimeter needed.

i looked at a lot of his videos a while ago, i think this has the best collection:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Save vs Everton for me. That game was also another in the line of DDG specials.

90 + 5min

I remember this game against Spurs where we won 1-0 but they probably had 20 shots on target, DDG was just insane.
This and this and this. How we won that game is beyond me. His performance that day is one of the best I've seen from a goalkeeper.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
He was a great reaction stopper, but totally the wrong fit for the way United should be playing on the front foot & fast.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

This is the one I'm taking about - about a third through the video, starting at 1:08.

OleGunnar20

I remember this game against Spurs where we won 1-0 but they probably had 20 shots on target, DDG was just insane.
This is the one that sticks in my mind. Mourinho days wasn't it? They absolutely battered us and he was unbeatable.

Chief123

How are some of these saves 10 years ago?! It feels like I saw them just a couple of years ago!

Robertd0803

Theres been so many but the Everton save is probably top of the list for the reaction time alone.

The penalty save vs that idiot Mark Noble is up there as well for how hilarious it was.

In fairness theres been plenty of games where you wondered how he managed to keep making insane save after save. Most notably the Arsenal and Spurs games.

ScholesyTheWise

I'm wondering whether his save from the Aguero header doesn't get enough credit, here in the thread and also generally.
immense.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think while the Mata save was the turning point, and we usually credit that Everton game and the saves in that game as the ones that brought him in the conversation for the best GK in the world, the save vs Suarez in the 3-0 loss under Moyes is not talked about enough. Also, I think people forget about the Matip save in the 0-0 vs Pool.

Honestly, I feel that while it's easy to say we would have shipped lesser number of goals had Dave been more commanding, I just feel the difference in number of goals wouldnt have been as much as people expect it to be, as he saved some shots that possibly no other GK in the world would be saving (and I'm referring to shots that weren't a result of him not claiming loose balls/crosses)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

2:39 in this one.

How the feck can someone react so quick to something they had 0.0001 seconds to even see?
It's not in this clip, but somewhere on Youtube, there's a camera angle of this save where you can see that DDG didn't see the ball until the very last moment. outrageous save that.
Where is the header save against Sunderland (or was it Southampton? )

Probably his best.

ThanksBoss26

I’m with you on this. I was there that day too and couldn’t believe he managed to save it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think it’s an impossible task picking his best. There are just too many that you think “yeah, maybe that one”.

paulscholes18

His one vs Everton was the first that came to mind. Honorable mention his save vs Ajax think it was from Eriksen