What is the greatest football anthem?

Falcow

May I just say, brilliant thread.

Hibs in the lead so far, followed by big Pav at Italian 90, haven't heard the Roma one properly yet, please post a link to it as sang by the fans if possible.

Celtic's you'll never walk alone would have been ok if it wasn't stolen by the scouse (so unlike them).

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
May I just say, brilliant thread.

Hibs in the lead so far, followed by big Pav at Italian 90, haven't heard the Roma one properly yet, please post a link to it as sang by the fans if possible.

Celtic's you'll never walk alone would have been ok if it wasn't stolen by the scouse (so unlike them).
Much appreciated!

Tel074

Sunshine on Leith for me. I have no affiliation with Hibs at all, but when I hear that being sung I can't help but think it's absolutely brilliant.

What say ye, Cafe?

For me this is hard to beat . I've a affinity with Hibs due to a old girlfriends dad who was a huge Hibs fan and because they have a strong Irish connection . Amazing

Cloud7

If we’re going all of football on the whole, the champions league anthem is definitely the best.

If we’re doing individual clubs, I’ll probably be crucified for this but I quite like YAWN.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There is no football anthem which raises emotions like NT anthems do before the match. So i would go with Flower of Scotland or Italy anthem. That always looks and sounds fantastic.

If we are talking only about clubs then que sera( version when we won 19th title)

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Ok, I stand to be corrected but still.... no. :)

I'm going to guess it was "you'll never get a job". I heard that a lot in the early 80s - think it started about then because we took the piss of the high unemployment they were going through. Hence, very possible that we'd still be singing it in 83.

I've actually got that on VHS tape (plural tapes, as cup final day on TV used to be several hours long) along with loads of others. In a box in the attic somewhere.... don't even think I'd be able to play them anymore, but not binning them.

====================================================

Not sure what definition of anthem is but wierdly, I like I'm forever blowing bubbles. Odd as West Ham are one of the teams I'd love to see relegated.
Liverpool and Everton fans were also on the receiving end of Ian Dury's classic "Hit me with your Giro Cheque, hit me" in the late 70's, early 80's for their love of throwing their 'odds' into the United Road on cue at half-time.

Denis' cuff

Iirc United fans used to sing their own version of the song for quite a few years in the 70's. Seem to recall Newcastle United supporters singing it too back in the day.
United fans, like every other teams fans in the country, sang it in the sixties. Some say it was sung by United fans after the air crash when it was popularised by the movie; Carousel. Even before my time. It eventually became “Liverpool’s anthem” courtesy of the telly cameras focussing on them every time they sang it, to encourage the publicity seeking wretches. They didn’t disappoint and now it is theirs. The media are now doing their best to make “the reds” their sole property, despite several other clubs using it since their existence.... and please, don’t give me “Red Devils”. In over 50 years supporting the club, never heard a soul call United that. Ever.

back on track: isn‘t Land of My Fathers the Welsh rugby anthem? Takes some beating.

Hibs supporters at Ibrox was some performance, though

BarstoolProphet

United fans, like every other teams fans in the country, sang it in the sixties. Some say it was sung by United fans after the air crash when it was popularised by the movie; Carousel. Even before my time. It eventually became “Liverpool’s anthem” courtesy of the telly cameras focussing on them every time they sang it, to encourage the publicity seeking wretches. They didn’t disappoint and now it is theirs. The media are now doing their best to make “the reds” their sole property, despite several other clubs using it since their existence.... and please, don’t give me “Red Devils”. In over 50 years supporting the club, never heard a soul call United that. Ever.

back on track: isn‘t Land of My Fathers the Welsh rugby anthem? Takes some beating.

Hymns and Arias? Got goosebumps the first time I heard that when Swansea was in a playoff final.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

It's our national anthem, sung anywhere and everywhere.. rugby, football....

I like it best when the band stops after a few lines and it's just the crowd....

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I've said it in the previous 3 or 4 threads about best/greatest anthems but Croatia's takes some beating, if that doesn't get you up for it, nothing will, probably not the best video available but ....

I love United and of course that emotions are high when United plays but nothing beats emotions when NT is playing.:drool:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Iirc United fans used to sing their own version of the song for quite a few years in the 70's. Seem to recall Newcastle United supporters singing it too back in the day.
It was sang on the terraces after Munich but didn’t really catch on. It’s from the musical Carousel. I think it became popular for Liverpool after Gerry And the Pacemakers covered it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The German, Dutch and Italian anthems are good, but the Croat one is probably the most moving, certainly in Europe
I am huge fan of national anthems( yeah i know, it is weird) so i noticed how different they are based on ethnic groups. Slavic people have slower anthems which are talking about country in general ( how beautiful it is, about mountains, rivers etc...) and western nations like France, Germany or Italy have faster "march" songs related with some event from the past and sing more about people. One type fills you with emotions and pride and other type fills you with adrenaline. I am Croat but after i hear Italy or French anthem my first reaction is "Come on!!!" :lol:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I am huge fan of national anthems( yeah i know, it is weird) so i noticed how different they are based on ethnic groups. Slavic people have slower anthems which are talking about country in general ( how beautiful it is, about mountains, rivers etc...) and western nations like France, Germany or Italy have faster "march" songs related with some event from the past and sing more about people. One type fills you with emotions and pride and other type fills you with adrenaline. I am Croat but after i hear Italy or French anthem my first reaction is "Come on!!!" :lol:
Yeah that's what I found as well, I remember in the last thread about anthems I posted the Croatian anthem as one of, or the best, then I panicked and thought i'd better get a translation of it in case it was about death and destruction of another nation and would be offensive to some, so I was relieved when I saw this video below though I appreciate some of it may be lost in translation.

Last edited:

Denis' cuff

Hymns and Arias? Got goosebumps the first time I heard that when Swansea was in a playoff final.
Probably mate. Not a Rugby fan but heard them on the radio in the old days when waiting for the football results to come through. Good stuff.

Denis' cuff

I'm afraid your brother is wrong. Liverpool fans started singing it a couple of years before Celtic supporters took it on board. The Kop pretty much introduced terrace singing to the country when they started singing along to the latest songs that were played pre-match. Quite a lot of the songs at the time were by Liverpool artists during the Merseybeat era. Celtic supporters only started singing it after hearing it sung by Liverpool fans at the 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final.

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/the-story-of/youll-never-walk-alone-liverpool-fans-why/

what utter bollocks. I remember singing and chanting when Liverpool were still in division 2. More Mersey mythology. They only woke up when they won their first title under Shankly in 1964 and were giddy on Beatlemania, but we’d been singing and chanting long before then. My old fella Used to tell me about United playing Atletico Bilbao in the 50s after being 5-2 down from the first leg and winning 3-0 to go through and reckoned crowd won that game and chanting started there. Reckoned it was the best atmosphere he’d known.

Some of the bullshit you lot come out with... you do know we are only half an hour down the road and don’t believe everything the media come out with don’t you?

arnie_ni

My brother is a big Celtic fan and certainly argues it was sang by the green half of Glasgow before Liverpool.
Not to pry to much, but how does one brother support rangers and the other celtic? That must be v. Unusual

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Another great club specific one is Urawa Red Diamonds fans singing We are Diamonds.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not to pry to much, but how does one brother support rangers and the other celtic? That must be v. Unusual
I posted earlier in the thread saying that with regards to Scottish football I’ve had a mad upbringing.

True, but in regards to Scottish football I've had a mad upbringing. Birth dad is Rangers, Nana and mum are Celtic, cousins are a huge mix of Rangers and Celtic, step-dad is a Celtic fan and so is my brother. Even as a youngster I adored United and that was my team, but due to my dad (and my surname :lol: ) I ended up having an affinity for Rangers, don't get to go to games anymore but when they were relegated went to quite a few. I'm nowhere near as staunch as many fans, due to my brother and mum and step-dad. I can objectively watch Rangers and not get massively annoyed when they don't win, likewise watching Celtic doesn't bother me and I can just enjoy watching the games. It's probably weird to everyone else but I don't mind.

I only like Hibs' song to be fair :lol: it's a belter. Other than that no other feelings towards them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I always like it when we sing a certain song in de Kuip for Feyenoord, but we share it with a certain English club. So Im afraid to say it.

They wear red shirts.