What is up with Bernardo Silva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Scott McToMinay

So if I make a holocaust joke to my Jewish friend it’s fine because I’m just ‘poking fun’ with a mate and not advocating violence towards anyone. Gotcha.
I’m like half Jewish, I don’t mind Hitler jokes.

The world would be a total drag without any dark humor in it, it makes life seem easier sometimes.
Then again, most people have their boundaries, for some it is racist jokes, for others it is something else.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I can actually see some resemblances with Mendy and Conguitos' avatar. But even if I didn't, it doesn't mean others wouldn't. Of course the similarities include skin colour but not only.

Think Bernando should have been more careful because it's an over sensitive world we live on. Do people get this upset when comparing white players to ugly characters?

Sara125

Do you know what else makes people racist? Being misstreated by a group of people. I always heard that you get more flies with honey than with vinnegar. If you think that ending racism equals having a mob jumping on someone that was having fun with his friend you should expect the oposite result.

I don't want to go to USA politics. I don't live there. The only thing i know is that racism was always blatant in the country so i dont think Donald Trump was the problem, he was only the outcome.
Why do people like you seem to think racism starts and stops at not giving a black person a job or proudly declaring one’s self a KKK member?

Sara125

I’m like half Jewish, I don’t mind Hitler jokes.

The world would be a total drag without any dark humor in it, it makes life seem easier sometimes.
Then again, most people have their boundaries, for some it is racist jokes, for others it is something else.
You’re half Jewish? How does that work? I was always under the impression that one can only be Jewish if their mother is and it wouldn’t make them ‘half’...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes - if you have that relationship and if it is not meant maliciously. God knows me and my mates have made horrendous jokes in the name of banter. Doing it on social media though is stupid af.
See I agree with this, me and my group of friends rip each other constantly, race, sexuality, religion is all in good nature. What I can’t understand is he’s not racist for doing it in private but is for doing it on social media? Don’t get me wrong he is thick as feck for posting it.

Sir Scott McToMinay

You’re half Jewish? How does that work? I was always under the impression that one can only be Jewish if their mother is and it wouldn’t make them ‘half’...
Technically you’re right, but I think if you have Jewish grandfather from one side and a Jewish grandmother from the other (for example) you can be counted as “half-jewish”, but yes, technically you are right.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
See I agree with this, me and my group of friends rip each other constantly, race, sexuality, religion is all in good nature. What I can’t understand is he’s not racist for doing it in private but is for doing it on social media? Don’t get me wrong he is thick as feck for posting it.
Nobody is saying he is racist. It was a racist joke though. Which he posted on twitter.

If I post something like that I would be fired from my job.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Personally I didn’t find the joke funny at all, but Mendy didn’t seem to mind.
Expecting footballers to be role models is ridiculous, they didn’t signed up for that, they wanted to be footballers and that is all.
Just because these people are multi-millionaires doesn’t mean that have to overthink every little thing they do.
The only role models who really matter are parents.

cyberman

Its fecking idiotic. Its also a growing trend to defend such racist actions (which this is) with benefit of the doubt based on points pulled from thin air because you vaguely like him.
Its all fun and games until the right are taking over global politics while we explain away such instances..oops
People explaining away personal responsibility is quite telling these days imo

izec

It isnt even funny. I didnt get the naked joke from the video until someone wrote it down. Holy cow, what a tosser

mancan92

No one said he is a racist. They said he made a racist joke and was stupid as feck posting in such a public place.

King Eric 7

How would your friend feel about a stranger having a dig at their sexuality? When it's done in private amongst friends, that person will probably react differently to the dig because they may know or think that it's not coming from a malicious place.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

This is an important point. Silva didn't just compare a black guy to a black cartoon character, he compared him to a black cartoon character you could have guessed was itself accused of being racist before now.

Plus as Delaney says in his second tweet, if you post it on twitter you're not just sharing it with Mendy, you're sharing it with everybody. Something people really should have figured out about twitter by now. It doesn't matter if Mendy is fine with it because everyone else gets to have an opinion too once you've posted it for millions to see.

mancan92

Personally I didn’t find the joke funny at all, but Mendy didn’t seem to mind.
Expecting footballers to be role models is ridiculous, they didn’t signed up for that, they wanted to be footballers and that is all.
Just because these people are multi-millionaires doesn’t mean that have to overthink every little thing they do.
The only role models who really matter are parents.
That is a ridiculously naive way of thinking. Most kids role models when growing up are people in entertainment whether that be footballers or movie stars. Very few kids (especially nowadays where social media has such a big impact on their lives) listen to their parents let alone use their parents as their role models.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
As a person of color who has lighter skin friends,friends who are muslim we've done worst to each other and on social media at that. If mendy has no problem with it then how is it consider racist? I think some of you need to recheck back the definition of the word racist. Two friends are joking around on social media you have another billion of people who do the same thing because he's a footballer means he can't joke around with his friend? Mendy and his other city teammates would have far more insight into his character than you guys on here being outraged.

I swear everything is offensive to people these days soon we're gonna all be afraid to laugh and joke around because of fear of public out cry of alot of you

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How would your friend feel about a stranger having a dig at their sexuality? When it's done in private amongst friends, that person will probably react differently to the dig because they may know or think that it's not coming from a malicious place.
I already said he was dumb as feck but I have seen many people calling him a racist, not here but on other media.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
So if I make a holocaust joke to my Jewish friend it’s fine because I’m just ‘poking fun’ with a mate and not advocating violence towards anyone. Gotcha.
You think what he said is the same as a holocaust joke? That's hilarious

Also if you want to make a joke about the Holocaust then go for it. Some will laugh and some won't, at the end of the day who cares because it's a joke.

Last edited:

King Eric 7

I already said he was dumb as feck but I have seen many people calling him a racist, not here but on other media.
OK but that didn't address my question. I was trying to point out that there's a difference between banter with mates and posting something that is publicly visible to the world. Personally, I don't tolerate banter among friends when it starts to target people's identity, but some do and they will react differently to it than they would if some stranger used the same language.

manutddjw

I’m Chinese and me and my friends always rip into each other it’s just what guys do. They’ve made jokes like me eating dogs and things like that and at the same token I’ve made jokes about Dutch, Irish, English, Natives and Africans right back to them. I’ve gone too far before and they’ve let me know. Jokes are jokes. I’d rather go through life laughing at jokes then be miserable because I’m offended at everything.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
OK but that didn't address my question. I was trying to point out that there's a difference between banter with mates and posting something that is publicly visible to the world. Personally, I don't tolerate banter among friends when it starts to target people's identity, but some do and they will react differently to it than they would if some stranger used the same language.
I answered your question, he shouldn’t have done it publicly, I said it was dumb, but I don’t think it makes him a racist. As for your opinion that friends shouldn’t do it, that’s simply your opinion. I mean the funny thing is, you don’t even know my race, sexuality or religious views.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
But it’s just a joke between me and my friend right? After all, I’m not exactly inciting violence against anyone.
Joke about whatever you want I don't care. A joke is a joke and should never be taken seriously.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Comparing a black player to a cartoon character sporting a minstrel look was always a great idea.
For a lot of people that very picture will have racist connotations from the start. Why are people defending this?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Comparing a black player to a cartoon character sporting a minstrel look was always a great idea.
For a lot of people that very picture will have racist connotations from the start. Why are people defending this?
I don’t think anyone is defending it, the question is does it mean he’s racist? Or simply stupid for posting it?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I’m Chinese and me and my friends always rip into each other it’s just what guys do. They’ve made jokes like me eating dogs and things like that and at the same token I’ve made jokes about Dutch, Irish, English, Natives and Africans right back to them. I’ve gone too far before and they’ve let me know. Jokes are jokes. I’d rather go through life laughing at jokes then be miserable because I’m offended at everything.
That's all well and good but don't go tweeting the personal "in-jokes" you have with close friends to 600,000 people, especially when you have your employers name in your Twitter description.

I'd fine him for being a fecking idiot.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
A thing can only be racist or whatever if it was created with that intent. If you are removing the intent of something then nothing resides.
This is so incredibly wrong. You should, for your own good, educate yourself a bit on the subject.

I do understand where you are coming from, as I remember thinking the same ("intent is necessary") when I was quite younger. But if you put a little thought into it you'll realize it's disastrously wrong.

Most racism (and other isms) is probably unconscious (and hence unintended) and relatively mild at an individual level. Collectivelly though, it's probably more damaging than the fewer louder and more aggressive situations, at least in western societies.

I've never been part of a minority, but I guess most discrimination people feel on a daily basis comes from small things, not loud pricks insulting them in public.

An american cop profiling a black person probably isn't doing it consciously, yet can you think of a more blatant example of racism?

JustAGuest

As a person of color who has lighter skin friends,friends who are muslim we've done worst to each other and on social media at that. If mendy has no problem with it then how is it consider racist? I think some of you need to recheck back the definition of the word racist. Two friends are joking around on social media you have another billion of people who do the same thing because he's a footballer means he can't joke around with his friend? Mendy and his other city teammates would have far more insight into his character than you guys on here being outraged.

I swear everything is offensive to people these days soon we're gonna all be afraid to laugh and joke around because of fear of public out cry of alot of you
It is a very sensitive topic. You cannot post stuff like that, as there are people who will understandably take offense. I think some are getting a bit too excited with handing out potential punishments though.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It isnt even funny. I didnt get the naked joke from the video until someone wrote it down. Holy cow, what a tosser
It's a common type of joke in Portugal. "Oh, I couldn't see you there" (when talking to a black man at night).

Even when I was a child I didn't find them funny.

King Eric 7

I answered your question, he shouldn’t have done it publicly, I said it was dumb, but I don’t think it makes him a racist. As for your opinion that friends shouldn’t do it, that’s simply your opinion. I mean the funny thing is, you don’t even know my race, sexuality or religious views.
I didn't claim to know your race or sexuality! Also, I don't care what banter people have with their friends, I just said I won't tolerate ignorant banter with my own friends.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Everybody that knows a bit about him knows that he isn’t racist, this is just stupid. Having said that he should make this jokes in private, presumably explain tomorrow why that happened and say sorry to anyone who felt insulted with this. But I repeat, there’s nothing racist about him, so let’s stop with OTT stuff, it’s getting ridiculous these days the amount of stuff that everybody says you should be, behave or think. But he has to explain and think twice before posting things on social media.

Cloud7

How are people still stupid enough to post this sort of thing on social media, knowing exactly what will happen?

Added to that, where the fecking hell are all of these 'Snowflake culture, everyone is a keyboard warrior who gets offended at everything these days' types coming out from on the Caf recently? They're spreading like the fecking plague.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I didn't claim to know your race or sexuality! Also, I don't care what banter people have with their friends, I just said I won't tolerate ignorant banter with my own friends.
Again that’s your choice, it doesn’t make you superior to anyone? You don’t know the dynamic other people have with their friends. You seem to be someone looking for issues where their aren’t any.

King Eric 7

Again that’s your choice, it doesn’t make you superior to anyone? You don’t know the dynamic other people have with their friends. You seem to be someone looking for issues where their aren’t any.
FFS! Where did I say I am superior to anyone? Or claim that I know the dynamic other people have with their friends? I just said that I don't give a shit about what people say to their friends. Did you not read my comment properly?

Pick one thing out of the sentence you quoted where I said that. You seem to be having a problem reading and digesting what I said.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's a common type of joke in Portugal. "Oh, I couldn't see you there" (when talking to a black man at night).

Even when I was a child I didn't find them funny.
Honestly I grew up in a place where I know his real intention wasn’t to insult, but him being a public figure should know this type of things cannot be done on social media. Hope he does what’s right, and that is to say he didn’t wanted to insult no one. I repeat this guy since the youth national teams was always joking with William Carvalho, Cavaleiro, Hélder Costa and others. Being a guy from Benfica I could use this against him, but he actually is one of the most likeable guys on the NT.

Nr.7

I didn’t find his jokes funny, but why would I feel offended? Why would anyone that’s not Mendy?

Mendy doesn’t seem to mind so I guess it’s all good. I doubt Silva is racist. If he was I kind of doubt he’d be friends with Mendy.
Having said that, he really didn’t have to post that. There’s a time and a place for everything.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
These two have known each other since their days at Monaco. I get some people are uncomfortable with the jokes, but Mendy and Silva for sure shouldn't care about people's opinions, because they know it's out of love and not hate or bigotry. Players rib on each other, and Mendy is black as night, you're gonna get made fun of that just as much as if you were white as a ghost in a locker room. Obviously, in this day and age, no matter what you do someone will criticize it and Silva should probably keep this sort of humor between the two in the locker room but to me this is a complete non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.