What is up with Bernardo Silva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancan92

As a joke they are 100% the same. I'm guessing that the problem you have is because of racism towards black people there are certain jokes that can't be used towards black people?
Thats not the problem I have with it. Thats the problem everyone should have with it. That is literally the crux of the issue. Using your huge platform and spouting these kinds of jokes is damaging.

Ramos

People seriously making that Tintin comparison really don't know jack shit about racism.

Christ, the image of Tintin doesn't have any racist connotation or history. This however ...

How can one not realize where this comes from, what it represents, the historical significance of it? That really has to be explained now?

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
No there are huge differences because of historical, political and social inequality between black and white people and the historical way of depicting black people.

Many people in this very thread have told you to do some research but you come back with the same ignorance.
I try to tend to get away of these types of posts because i don't think calling some ignorant it's the way to have a conversation about something. It's a funny thing that people are ignorant because they dont get feelings.

This is like some type of comedy. "You are a ignorant because my feelings were hurt"

If everything in a future will be based on feelings we will have a problem and i will show you right now.

"Are you calling me ignorant? My feelings got hurt. That isn't something to be said on a public space. You didnt respect my beliefs. You are profilling my all personality based on a matter that we simply don't agree. Do you think your opinion is more important then mine? What makes you feel so privileged?"

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Thats not the problem I have with it. Thats the problem everyone should have with it. That is literally the crux of the issue. Using your huge platform and spouting these kinds of jokes is damaging.
What's damaging in my opinion is saying that every form of clearly harmless banter between friends is not allowed purely because of someone's skin colour. Racism is something we all wish didn't exist but because people like to bring it up anytime people make jokes about black people it will never be forgotten and we as a society will never move on from it. Context is always important and the context here is that Silva and Mendy are good friends who have known each other for years. Mendy clearly has no problem with the joke and know Silva has no ill feeling towards him because of his skin colour. This is what's important and the people on the outside should see this and not immediately jump to conclusions about Silva's character.

mancan92

I try to tend to get away of these types of posts because i don't think calling some ignorant it's the way to have a conversation about something. It's a funny thing that people are ignorant because they dont get feelings.

This is like some type of comedy. "You are a ignorant because my feelings were hurt"

If everything in a future will be based on feelings we will have a problem and i will show you right now.

"Are you calling me ignorant? My feelings got hurt. That isn't something to be said on a public space. You didnt respect my beliefs. You are profilling my all personality based on a matter that we simply don't agree. Do you think your opinion is more important then mine? What makes you feel so privileged?"
What are you on about. Yes as a black person who has experienced racism his whole life my opinion is more important than yours absolutely. Coloured people are the ones who have been victims of global racism for centuries so yes we should be able to decide what is acceptable and what is not.

Yes it is about the feelings of 2-3 billion people. Yes those feelings mean more than people who would rather continue making hurtful jokes.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Would you have the same issues if Mendy posted De Bruyne next to a picture of Tintin?
:lol: This is missing the point entirely. Holy crap.

Tintin was the hero of a cartoon (although he appeared in one in Congo which was probably racist). I'd like to be compared to a hero.
The figure Mendy was compared to has a long history of depicting black people in a derogatory way.
How are those the same?

Never mind the long history of white people oppressing black people.

mancan92

What's damaging in my opinion is saying that every form of clearly harmless banter between friends is not allowed purely because of someone's skin colour. Racism is something we all wish didn't exist but because people like to bring it up anytime people make jokes about black people it will never be forgotten and we as a society will never move on from it. Context is always important and the context here is that Silva and Mendy are good friends who have known each other for years. Mendy clearly has no problem with the joke and know Silva has no ill feeling towards him because of his skin colour. This is what's important and the people on the outside should see this and not immediately jump to conclusions about Silva's character.
No it will never be forgotten because society is racist and people have subconscious racism. People pointing out racist jokes are not the problem, the people not understanding the damage of the jokes are the problem.

If he does it in the privacy with his friend then fine. But if he posts on a platform with millions of followers that is a big problem and it lacks basic understanding and is ignorant of the damage it can cause to the people who follow his platform.

DoomSlayer

Can't be bothered reading the whole thread, but I can only presume the people outraged by this heavily disliked the new Dave Chappelle show.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread, but I can only presume the people outraged by this heavily disliked the new Dave Chappelle show.
Didn't see it, why should we be outraged?

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
What are you on about. Yes as a black person who has experienced racism his whole life my opinion is more important than yours absolutely. Coloured people are the ones who have been victims of global racism for centuries so yes we should be able to decide what is acceptable and what is not.

Yes it is about the feelings of 2-3 billion people. Yes those feelings mean more than people who would rather continue making hurtful jokes.
Everyone has feelings. Stuff happened and still happens everywhere. Portuguese are made fun of in france and england and suffer from racism also. It's not a "black people thing"

It's impossible to create normal relations beetween people of diferent colours and then keep searching for racism in their interaction. You are fomenting in people to be afraid or keep measuring the way they interact with their friends. That will only create a bigger division.

They are fundamentally different. Please educate yourselves.
You guys really love to call everyone ignorant. Such privilege

Cassidy

Because Mendy is black?

Would you have the same issues if Mendy posted De Bruyne next to a picture of Tintin?

Because that is real equality.

The video is bad, I'll give you that. I don't have a problem with the tweet.
Is Tintin a racially provocative character in the way the the conguitos character is? Do you know the background around that particular image?

Scotty McT

Would the people who think it is socially acceptable to make these kind of jokes make them to strangers in a predominantly black neighborhood?

These kinds of jokes are only okay if they were somehow divorced from more harmful racism. But they're not, they feed into it. Little Jimmy is going to see his hero Bernardo Silva making jokes about race and think it's alright to joke about it himself, probably with less "comedic genius" than the jokes Silva made, then he's going to end up with his face punched in when he realises he picked the wrong crowd.

Do whatever with your friends, I'm not going to judge, but when it comes out I'll call you out on it. The fact I never have to call any of you lot out on it in the real world says it all. Keyboard warriors.

Cassidy

Loads of jokes about races, nationalities, sexuality and what not.
And we should be outraged because? I don't think anyone is saying you can't make a joke, maybe you should read the thread... and also understand the history and context around that particular image

mancan92

Everyone has feelings. Stuff happened and still happens everywhere. Portuguese are made fun of in france and england and suffer from racism also. It's not a "black people thing"

It's impossible to create normal relations beetween people of diferent colours and then keep searching for racism in their interaction. You are fomenting in people to be afraid or keep measuring the way they interact with their friends. That will only create a bigger division.

You guys really love to call everyone ignorant. Such privilege
Christ mate. As I've said read up on this stuff. It's not about privilege all it takes is you reading the history of racism for coloured people globally anyone can pick up a book. This stuff is fact not some feelings.

1. No one has called him racist. But he made a racist joke. The joke is racist because of the historical context attached to showcasing black people like that character.
2. Doing it in the private with your friend is not ok but it is understandable in a situation where both know the feelings of the other where no one can be offended.
3. The main problem is he is posting well known offensive and racist content on a platform where potentially millions of people can see. Some of those people can potentially be hurt as it can bring up damaging racist experiences they have had in the past or can influence young and ignorant people to post or bully other black people with similar content.

These are the facts its that simple.

DoomSlayer

And we should be outraged because? I don't think anyone is saying you can't make a joke, maybe you should read the thread... and also understand the history and context around that particular image
But Chappelle was making racist jokes about Asian people, homophobic jokes and other ones about the LGBT community. I know the professional critics went hard against his show, but the general public loved it and rated it at 99%. It seems that people still want to enjoy crude, dark and a bit offensive humour without being judged about it and it isn't only white people who do it.

BlueHaze

Worst thing of all is that Mendy just takes it.. Had he been a man he would have slapped his ears off in that clip I mean if you walk around and do that to your black friends and claim you are not racist you have to be severely mentally challenged.

RedNed77

But Chappelle was making racist jokes about Asian people, homophobic jokes and other ones about the LGBT community. I know the professional critics went hard against his show, but the general public loved it and rated it at 99%. It seems that people still want to enjoy crude, dark and a bit offensive humour without being judged about it and it isn't only white people who do it.
Given that white people generally aren’t arsed about racist jokes towards them and black people are, and taking into account history, would it really be that difficult for white people to stay clear of racist jokes? Is it the only thing we can find funny?

Superden

i wrote and then rewrote this post again and again, now i just cant be bothered anymore. the PC gone mad brigade just arent going to see it for what it may be, they will only see it for what is was meant to be.

DoomSlayer

Given that white people generally aren’t arsed about racist jokes towards them and black people are, and taking into account history, would it really be that difficult for white people to stay clear of racist jokes? Is it the only thing we can find funny?
That's some nice generalisation that you are doing, very "woke". As I said, Chappelle had no problem in making racist and offensive jokes, the public both at the stage and all those watching at home gave it the highest rating so it seems people don't actually care that much.

Cassidy

Again I said I didn't see the show, which is why I asked why should we be outraged. If that is the case then yes we should be outraged but I can't be because I haven't seen the jokes myself.

I do think racial jokes about certain topics are off limits. I'm sure if a player made a joke about hitler or something anti Semitic there would also be outrage. Dark humour is ok but we all know the topics that are a no go area and why they are no go areas.

Also personally I'm of the opinion you can say what you like (free speech etc) but you have to be open to face the consequences. Offend people if you like but then if people voice their displeasure then you have to take it simple as.

He posted something on twitter, and got called out. I'm pretty sure if he posted something homophobic he would also be called out and investigated. I'm pretty sure a black player, I think Andre Gray, was reprimanded for something homophobic he posted out twitter years ago. So your assertion that only white people are criticised for things is not true.

As a black person if a white person or any other person of any race makes jokes with serious racial connotations against black people of course I will be outraged. I'm also pretty sure if Bernado Silva was black he would still get a lot of backlash for posting that joke on twitter. It is not all about his colour, and more about the content he posted

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Worst thing of all is that Mendy just takes it.. Had he been a man he would have slapped his ears off in that clip I mean if you walk around and do that to your black friends and claim you are not racist you have to be severely mentally challenged.
Maybe they have inner racial banter all the time about each other?

DoomSlayer

Again I said I didn't see the show, which is why I asked why should we be outraged. If that is the case then yes we should be outraged but I can't be because I haven't seen the jokes myself.

I do think racial jokes about certain topics are off limits. I'm sure if a player made a joke about hitler or something anti Semitic there would also be outrage. Dark humour is ok but we all know the topics that are a no go area and why they are no go areas.

Also personally I'm of the opinion you can say what you like (free speech etc) but you have to be open to face the consequences. Offend people if you like but then if people voice their displeasure then you have to take it simple as.

He posted something on twitter, and got called out. I'm pretty sure if he posted something homophobic he would also be called out and investigated. I'm pretty sure a black player, I think Andre Gray, was reprimanded for something homophobic he posted out twitter years ago. So your assertion that only white people are criticised for things is not true.

As a black person if a white person or any other person of any race makes jokes with serious racial connotations against black people of course I will be outraged. I'm also pretty sure if Bernado Silva was black he would still get a lot of backlash for posting that joke on twitter. It is not all about his colour, and more about the content he posted
A consistent and sensible post, fair enough. I don't have a problem with honest opinions and people feeling some type of way, I just don't like the hypocrisy of those that see one thing but close their eyes to stuff that doesn't fit their agenda.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Racist discussion to one side, Bernando has a really shit sense of humour.

Cassidy

It isn't that uncommon. Many black people have normalised those types of jokes to fit in culturally in the work place. Also not all black people know the historical racial connotations of certain things. Black people can also be ignorant to certain things

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah or like when Jimmy Hill got called "chinny". Did anyone call that out eh!? Same thing surely.
So a black player making fun of a white players looks is ok, but a white player making fun of a black players looks is not?

That isn't equality mate. What we need is equality, not double standards.

Let's also just ignore the fact that they are friends and Mendy took no offence.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So that's where we draw the line? Only professionals can joke in public now?
1) Dave Chapelle receives plenty of criticism for his standup (especially from the LBGT community)
2) Comedians are generally given a pass b/c their content is satirical. I've seen white comics say the N-word and pretty much get away with it just because they are comics. This is nothing new.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There threads always reminds me of the guy arguing Trump isn't racist.

DoomSlayer

1) Dave Chapelle receives plenty of criticism for his standup (especially from the LBGT community)
2) Comedians are generally given a pass b/c their content is satirical. I've seen white comics say the N-word and pretty much get away with it just because they are comics. This is nothing new.
I honestly don't care about professional critics or criticism from some hipster websites, journals, news agencies and all the rest. What really matters is how the general public rates it and people absolutely loved it, especially in the black community in the US.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

You shouldn't even have to say any of this. Dave Chapelle is a fecking comic. I can't believe this is even being treated as a valid discussion.

Cassidy

So a black player making fun of a white players looks is ok, but a white player making fun of a black players looks is not?

That isn't equality mate. What we need is equality, not double standards.

Let's also just ignore the fact that they are friends and Mendy took no offence.
Making fun of someones looks is ok.
Making fun of someones looks based on historically racist stereotypes is not ok. It isn't that hard to grasp. A white person can make fun of a black persons looks and vice versa, just don't use historically racist shit

It isn't that difficult. Nobody cried when Bernado made a joke about Mendys dress sense before (and I am not talking about the wearing no clothes joke)

Withnail

So many people don't actually know what racism is. The mind boggles at some of the half-baked rationalisations and false equivalences being spouted in this thread. Feckin tin tin... Jesus

Cassidy

I honestly don't care about professional critics or criticism from some hipster websites, journals, news agencies and all the rest. What really matters is how the general public rates it and people absolutely loved it, especially in the black community in the US.
Black people loving a black comedian whos fan base is predominately black.. shock horror

Status
Not open for further replies.