What level could a team comprised of just premier league GKs play at?

tomaldinho1

Great thread. Can you select 11 Ter Stegens or do we have to select a keeper per position and, as is only fair, an outfield player in goal?

----------------------------- Dan James ------------------------
Given ------------- VDS ----------- Neuer --------- Barthez
-------------------- Lehmann ----- Ter Stegen------------------
Ederson -------------------------------------------------- Alisson
------------- Schmeichel (snr) - Schmeichel (jnr)-------

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How many accounts does fontaine have?!
Has he been banned? He was at his peak when he drew that diagram of De Gea bouncing a ball off Fellaini's head for 80 minutes as some kind of unbeatable tactic.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Great thread. Can you select 11 Ter Stegens or do we have to select a keeper per position and, as is only fair, an outfield player in goal?

----------------------------- Dan James ------------------------
Given ------------- VDS ----------- Neuer --------- Barthez
-------------------- Lehmann ----- Ter Stegen------------------
Ederson -------------------------------------------------- Alisson
------------- Schmeichel (snr) - Schmeichel (jnr)-------
Shay Given at RB is a disaster waiting to happen.

John O'Shea played in goal once, does he qualify?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Do you remember when Stuart Pearce subbed a Rolls Royce of a midfielder in Claudio Reyna to lump David James up front for the last few minutes?

See how shit he is when he gets the ball in the box. That’s the standard you’d expect.

Last edited:

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Do you remember when Stuart Pearce subbed a Rolls Royce of a midfielder in Claudio Reyna to lump David James up front for minutes?

See how shit he is when he gets the ball in the box. That’s the standard you’d expect.
Honestly he looks as good as any of Marines strikers

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even the best keepers would probably only be able to compete outfield down at conference south level or so.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Do you remember when Stuart Pearce subbed a Rolls Royce of a midfielder in Claudio Reyna to lump David James up front for the last few minutes?

I think I’ll remember the day someone called Claudio Reyna a ‘Rolls Royce Midfielder’ for longer. joking..... But kinda not really.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Pure madness.
They had Jonathan Macken, an actual striker on the bench too.

sillwuka

Pope
Mendy Schmeichel Leno Lloris
Martinez Allison Johnstone
Ederson Pickford Meslier

Loads of cultured left footers in the team.​

padr81

Supports
Man City
A level above 99% of us caftards have ever played at, I’m willing to bet.
Absolutely they could probably play at the higher end of non-league, even people like DDG who get shit for their ability ball at feet are likely levels beyond average Joe.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pope
Mendy Schmeichel Leno Lloris
Martinez Allison Johnstone
Ederson Pickford Meslier

Loads of cultured left footers in the team.​
He's a shitty lb, terrible player and doesn't know what corona restrictions are but calling him a goalkeeper is harsh.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Use an editor and simulate it on FM :lol:.

Emerson on free kicks and penalties.

UnrelatedPsuedo

A level above 99% of us caftards have ever played at, I’m willing to bet.
Probably/Perhaps nowadays. They’ve come on a long way.

I played with Tim Flowers once, while he was still playing professionally. My god he was a terrible footballer. Expected better.

Having said that, 7 a side with him in goal, he did not concede and never looked likely to. Could have played all day.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Probably/Perhaps nowadays. They’ve come on a long way.

I played with Tim Flowers once, while he was still playing professionally. My god he was a terrible footballer. Expected better.

Having said that, 7 a side with him in goal, he did not concede and never looked likely to. Could have played all day.
Can’t remember when he played/when the backpass rule came in? That’s been a game changer for keepers and their ability with their feet.

Even in my son’s U12 team his keeper is expected to complete at least one full training session a week playing outfield. Expand that over a career at a top academy, then apply to the sort of elite athletes who make it to the top of the game. I’m willing to bet every single PL keeper would absolutely dominate an amateur 7 a side.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think I’ll remember the day someone called Claudio Reyna a ‘Rolls Royce Midfielder’ for longer. joking..... But kinda not really.
We have lower standards up here.

But nah you can probably count on one hand the number of midfielders who have played in the UK that have been selected in a FIFA World Cup team of the tournament over the decades and he's one of them. Was a little past his best by the time he moved to England, but he was a classy player.
Even the best keepers would probably only be able to compete outfield down at conference south level or so.
Keepers have become so much better at pinging the ball 30-50 yards. Yet while there might be an exception, I think it's unlikely they'd be much use at that level. They train for almost a different sport and I'd back any semi-professional team to roll over any team of 11 keepers quite comfortably.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Can’t remember when he played/when the backpass rule came in? That’s been a game changer for keepers and their ability with their feet.

Even in my son’s U12 team his keeper is expected to complete at least one full training session a week playing outfield. Expand that over a career at a top academy, then apply to the sort of elite athletes who make it to the top of the game. I’m willing to bet every single PL keeper would absolutely dominate an amateur 7 a side.
He won the title in 1995 I think. Not truly a modern goalkeeper, but would have only played professionally post backpass rule.

I doubt that Big Pete or Seaman would have been much better.

As you say, different times. All three of those fellas owned the penalty box and could rough up opposition centre half’s while going straight through their own to claim a ball. No keeper nowadays can do that as the game doesn’t ask for it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We have lower standards up here.

But nah you can probably count on one hand the number of midfielders who have played in the UK that have been selected in a FIFA World Cup team of the tournament over the decades and he's one of them. Was a little past his best by the time he moved to England, but he was a classy player.

Keepers have become so much better at pinging the ball 30-50 yards. Yet while there might be an exception, I think it's unlikely they'd be much use at that level. They train for almost a different sport and I'd back any semi-professional team to roll over any team of 11 keepers quite comfortably.
I’d take it one step further. Any half decent Sunday team would roll them over considering the team in question is full of lads who keep pretty fit.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Kahn

Alisson Higuita Ceni Barthez
Lloris Chilavert TerStegen
Enyeama Reina Ederson

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You can’t be serious! An amateur Sunday team would be fitter than professional goalkeepers?
Depends on the type of league and side we are talking about. Some Sunday teams are your just been out of the pub with beer bellies but division 1 sides I’ve come across have some semi pro players on their books and the rest of the lads are in their 20s - very fit and definitely technically more competent than your average keeper and even a ball playing keeper.

It’s a myth that modern Sunday league teams are as unfit as yesteryear - at the top division of Sunday League these days you have a lot of young athletic lads, always in the gym and are serious about their football and on verge of semi pro.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Depends on the type of league and side we are talking about. Some Sunday teams are your just been out of the pub with beer bellies but division 1 sides I’ve come across have some semi pro players on their books and the rest of the lads are in their 20s - very fit and definitely technically more competent than your average keeper and even a ball playing keeper.

It’s a myth that modern Sunday league teams are as unfit as yesteryear - at the top division of Sunday League these days you have a lot of young athletic lads, always in the gym and are serious about their football and on verge of semi pro.
Top division of Sunday league is about where I’d imagine this hypothetical GK team could play. But my main issue with your last post was implying a team of amateurs would be physically fitter than professionals. Absolutely no chance of that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Top division of Sunday league is about where I’d imagine this hypothetical GK team could play. But my main issue with your last post was implying a team of amateurs would be physically fitter than professionals. Absolutely no chance of that.
I did caveat my original post with ‘lads who are pretty fit’. Most of the division 1 Sunday league guys I’ve played with are ripped and take their gym very seriously. Sunday league isn’t what it used to be - remember modern day lads are much more into their diets and bodies than in the good old days.

Goalkeepers might be very fit but there is more to fitness than just looking impeccable and great agility/strength - footwork, balance, etc not every goalkeeper is going to be blessed in that department but this hypothetical ball playing goalkeeper side probably will have that in their locker but I would still back a side of battle hardened lads who played outfield their whole lives and are fit vs for the sake of argument fitter goalkeepers but haven’t regularly played outfield for most of their playing careers.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am still sad that Pep refused to play Neuer as a midfielder when they had already won the league to not mock the other team. :(

Brophs

The One and Only
Imagine Mignolet running around bossing the midfield. Glorious.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
3rd or 4th division, I'm assuming. GKs today aren't bad with ball on their feet, and I think some of the players like Neuer, Allison, Ederson wouldn't be bad outfield players for a team in League 2

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I did caveat my original post with ‘lads who are pretty fit’. Most of the division 1 Sunday league guys I’ve played with are ripped and take their gym very seriously. Sunday league isn’t what it used to be - remember modern day lads are much more into their diets and bodies than in the good old days.

Goalkeepers might be very fit but there is more to fitness than just looking impeccable and great agility/strength - footwork, balance, etc not every goalkeeper is going to be blessed in that department but this hypothetical ball playing goalkeeper side probably will have that in their locker but I would still back a side of battle hardened lads who played outfield their whole lives and are fit vs for the sake of argument fitter goalkeepers but haven’t regularly played outfield for most of their playing careers.
There’s a world of difference between being ripped/taking the gym seriously and the fitness of a professional athlete. In Ireland we have an elite amateur sport, GAA, played in stadiums full of tens of thousands of fans. The game itself is unbelievably fast paced, on very large pitches with almost no breaks in play. The training regimen they go through is absolutely brutal. With full time S&C coaches and hours and hours of training every week. You could not possibly find fitter amateur athletes.

Yet Stephen Hunt correctly pointed out that their fitness is still a level below the pros (and got a load of shit for it) if only because it’s not possible to fit in the rest and recuperation between training sessions needed for elite level fitness while you hold down a day job. A modern goalkeeper will work just as hard as any outfield player on his fitness and will be a level above every amateur footballer.