What level could a team comprised of just premier league GKs play at?

Brophs

The One and Only
I am still sad that Pep refused to play Neuer as a midfielder when they had already won the league to not mock the other team. :(
Just another reason that Stuart Pearce is and always will be the superior manager. He had the literal* stones to try it when it mattered, not just a man called Stones.

*not literal

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
3rd or 4th division, I'm assuming. GKs today aren't bad with ball on their feet, and I think some of the players like Neuer, Allison, Ederson wouldn't be bad outfield players for a team in League 2
They really would. Some people are underrating the standard of lower league football loads. Crawley are in League 2 and thumped Leeds today ffs.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There’s a world of difference between being ripped/taking the gym seriously and the fitness of a professional athlete. In Ireland we have an elite amateur sport, GAA, played in stadiums full of tens of thousands of fans. The game itself is unbelievably fast paced, on very large pitches with almost no breaks in play. The training regimen they go through is absolutely brutal. With full time S&C coaches and hours and hours of training every week. You could not possibly find fitter amateur athletes.

Yet Stephen Hunt correctly pointed out that their fitness is still a level below the pros (and got a load of shit for it) if only because it’s not possible to fit in the rest and recuperation between training sessions needed for elite level fitness while you hold down a day job. A modern goalkeeper will work just as hard as any outfield player on his fitness and will be a level above every amateur footballer.
Their fitness specific to their role is superior and yes as general sportsmen they might be but I’m sorry Manuel Neuer vs the fittest fastest Sunday League striker in a sprint and I’m not backing Neuer or Allison.

Furthermore you could point to any sport and say for example the fittest cyclist is going to be a better footballer than an amateur player purely because he is fitter. I don’t think it works like that.

The experience of playing outfield for years, the football iq, touch and technical side - some goalkeepers might have that in their locker, that is not disputed but it is highly unlikely that the best group of ball playing goalkeepers is beating a semi pro football sid. Individually there will undoubtedly be exceptions to the rule and some could probably play outfield semi pro.

In general though taking EPL keepers as a whole - I don’t think there is enough quality there to take on a premier Sunday outfit. Remember most keepers shit it when someone presses them and hit it long and we are to believe that a whole squad of them are capable of playing outfield semi pro? As strikers and wingers etc

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Their fitness specific to their role is superior and yes as general sportsmen they might be but I’m sorry Manuel Neuer vs the fittest fastest Sunday League striker in a sprint and I’m not backing Neuer or Allison.

Furthermore you could point to any sport and say for example the fittest cyclist is going to be a better footballer than an amateur player purely because he is fitter. I don’t think it works like that.

The experience of playing outfield for years, the football iq, touch and technical side - some goalkeepers might have that in their locker, that is not disputed but it is highly unlikely that the best group of ball playing goalkeepers is beating a semi pro football sid. Individually there will undoubtedly be exceptions to the rule and some could probably play outfield semi pro.

In general though taking EPL keepers as a whole - I don’t think there is enough quality there to take on a premier Sunday outfit. Remember most keepers shit it when someone presses them and hit it long and we are to believe that a whole squad of them are capable of playing outfield semi pro? As strikers and wingers etc
You keep moving the goalposts! (ironically)

I was specifically talking about fitness in my last couple of posts yet you’ve started talking about “football IQ” and touch. Why not just concede the fitness point if you want to discuss different elements of the game?

We were also talking about amateur footballers and now you’re talking about semi-pro. I’ll be honest that I have no idea exactly what level this GK team could play at, so not much point splitting hairs about it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Being a good passer for a goalkeeper is hardly the same as playing in midfield. A team of PL goalkeepers would probably get relegated out of League 2 or whatever semi-pro division they're dropped into.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Being a good passer for a goalkeeper is hardly the same as playing in midfield. A team of PL goalkeepers would probably get relegated out of League 2 or whatever semi-pro division they're dropped into.
Dont forget that they would have a world class goalkeeper in goal for themselves, therefore may save a lot of goals a normal keeper at that level would not save.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You keep moving the goalposts! (ironically)

I was specifically talking about fitness in my last couple of posts yet you’ve started talking about “football IQ” and touch. Why not just concede the fitness point if you want to discuss different elements of the game?

We were also talking about amateur footballers and now you’re talking about semi-pro. I’ll be honest that I have no idea exactly what level this GK team could play at, so not much point splitting hairs about it.
No I said I am happy to concede that they are ‘fitter’.

I just said that regardless of that advantage, I think the fitness of the ‘best’ Sunday sides would be sufficient enough if in addition to the other things such as football IQ etc overall that would be enough to give them the edge.

Whereas an unfit Sunday side would not be competitive IMO.

El Zoido

I legit love this thread. It’s a really interesting idea.

I think generally a team full of goalkeepers is going to be pretty bad no matter who’s in the team.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Dont forget that they would have a world class goalkeeper in goal for themselves, therefore may save a lot of goals a normal keeper at that level would not save.
True but they'd be world class compared to the level they're playing at, but if we assume the best of the PL keepers would all be outfield players. I was just joking the other day how Aaron Ramsdale is a League Two level keeper so maybe not the huge advantage after all :D

Last edited:

James Peril

Naturally some GK’s have played different roles and been good at younger levels and could have gone some way, but there is a reason why they became goalkeepers. Nobody starts out to become a goalkeeper, which kind of answers the original question. On a general note, a gang of goalkeepers would probably reach the level of a lot of members on this forum. In other words, local teams and the format where you train 2-3 times a week and play a game, regional leagues or whatever it is called in England. They would be absolutely without a chance against Conference and Non-league teams, I don’t know the difference. Crawley showed us today the tiny difference between a motivated, shit team vs. a high level team not giving a shit.. the margins is often in intensity. The difference between a Conference-player and a highly paid grafter in the Championship can genuinely be the mental side.

A GK and an outfield player, it’s two different sports entirely. Even we could stand there, collect the ball and kick it out or to the nearest players with years of practice for the stress, but we could never ever play full-back. We couldn’t become goalkeepers either for that matter, but first and foremost focusing on the «outfield» aspect to a GK to make a point. No way in hell is Alisson or Ederson better than me at free-kicks or creating goals, and it’s not like I played at a very high level.

As for the fitness level, it wouldn’t help them either. Being top level football-fit is incredibly hard, the goalkeepers aren’t doing the same practice, they aren’t as fit as let’s say the full-backs, not even close at all. Sure they have good 02-levels and would run a fast mile, but that’s not the same as doing sprints, stops, sprints, get beaten in duels, sprinting again... all the time jogging/running, passing, tackling, shooting between the sprints. Usain Bolt would be wrecked after 15 minutes of a Premier League-game so to speak, different sports. Imagine Gabor Kiraly doing 60 yard returns in his sweatpants in the 75th minute - not that long ago he played in the Premier League.

Last but not least, most goalkeepers are lanky fellas. They would struggle to field a team due to constant injuries to knees, joints, ligaments, backs and all the crap that follows really tall people, speaking from experience.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Do you remember when Stuart Pearce subbed a Rolls Royce of a midfielder in Claudio Reyna to lump David James up front for the last few minutes?

See how shit he is when he gets the ball in the box. That’s the standard you’d expect.
There's a reason Pearce was nicknamed "Psycho"

Jean claude van hire

Interesting concept. I reckon Marine level at best. What about a full team of strikers, midfielders or defenders? Which discipline would be most successful? Head says midfielders but with more attack minded defenders these days, perhaps they would be the favourites?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lloris
Henderson McCarthy Forster Rui Patricio
Guaita Ederson Alisson Pickford
Martinez Foster (I know he's not Prem but I reckon he's deadly)

foolsgold

Perhaps league one level? That’s assuming that they were to train as a group working as outfield players all year

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Pepe Reina played midfield for us in a couple of preseason games under rafa. He looked pretty decent tbh.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting concept. I reckon Marine level at best. What about a full team of strikers, midfielders or defenders? Which discipline would be most successful? Head says midfielders but with more attack minded defenders these days, perhaps they would be the favourites?
I'd plop for forwards. People underestimate how big the technical demands of playing up front are. You see plenty of players who used to be attackers and had to drop further back to make a career. Very rare that the opposite happens.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They really would. Some people are underrating the standard of lower league football loads. Crawley are in League 2 and thumped Leeds today ffs.
League 2 sounds about right tbf for a team of just GKs. They'll need to build on their pace and all, but they're still much fitter than most lower league team players. Plus, I'd expect these guys to be able to handle the likes of Grimsby and Barrow and the likes

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Much lower than people seem to think.
They lack certain important skills and techniques. They have also in all likelyhood being doing goalkeeper specific training from the age of 12. Todays keepers are much better with the ball at their feet than in the past but in general they wont have good enough dribbling ability, they wont be good enough at receiving on the front foot or receiving on the turn. Their one touch passing will be poorer than required. A team such as Marine would beat them easily.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
League 2 sounds about right tbf for a team of just GKs. They'll need to build on their pace and all, but they're still much fitter than most lower league team players. Plus, I'd expect these guys to be able to handle the likes of Grimsby and Barrow and the likes
Sorry but you’re talking complete rubbish and being quite disrespectful to lower league players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lower league players are still professional players, but they are being talked about as if they're no different than the lads I play 5 a side with every Thursday.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sorry but you’re talking complete rubbish and being quite disrespectful to lower league players.
Don't mean to be disrespectful but players like Ederson used to be outfielders, and moved to GK because of lack of pace/stamina, etc required to reach the top. I'm not saying if there is to be a game tomorrow, these guys will beat a league 2 side, but give them a few months to develop strength, stamina and pace, and it is likely that these guys will win a few games in League 2.

You're forgetting that they still have a really really good goalkeeper, and a few of these players dont just receive passing and shot-stopping drills. But sure, we can agree to disagree - its a hypothetical question after all.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Don't mean to be disrespectful but players like Ederson used to be outfielders, and moved to GK because of lack of pace/stamina, etc required to reach the top. I'm not saying if there is to be a game tomorrow, these guys will beat a league 2 side, but give them a few months to develop strength, stamina and pace, and it is likely that these guys will win a few games in League 2.

You're forgetting that they still have a really really good goalkeeper, and a few of these players dont just receive passing and shot-stopping drills. But sure, we can agree to disagree - its a hypothetical question after all.
"Agree to disagree" is reserved for situations where both people can be right in their arguments. A team of goal keepers beating a league 2 side doesn't fit that scenario. A team full of keepers would be playing Sunday league football. That's it. This thread is ridiculous :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndersB

Great thread. Can you select 11 Ter Stegens or do we have to select a keeper per position and, as is only fair, an outfield player in goal?

----------------------------- Dan James ------------------------
Given ------------- VDS ----------- Neuer --------- Barthez
-------------------- Lehmann ----- Ter Stegen------------------
Ederson -------------------------------------------------- Alisson
------------- Schmeichel (snr) - Schmeichel (jnr)-------
I know it's surprising given his ability, but Daniel James is actually a real outfield player and not a keeper

tomaldinho1

I know it's surprising given his ability, but Daniel James is actually a real outfield player and not a keeper
I genuinely just thought of the smallest outfield player I could for the hilarious image of him coming for corners and crosses.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lower league players are still professional players, but they are being talked about as if they're no different than the lads I play 5 a side with every Thursday.
Aye. I think people sometimes forget how competitive and how much depth there is in football. In the same way there's a huge quality range within the full-time game, there is the same within the semi-professional game, and then again at amateur level. And between the three levels there are gulfs, none of which would be bridged by a team of goalkeepers whose solitary outfield trained skill is pinging the ball 30-50 yards.

tomaldinho1

If I could pick one outfield player that would be the worst player in goal it would be him
It was between him and Shaqiri for me, James has the agility but I feel Shaqiri would just plough through players like a bowling ball to claim crosses and become a PL legend.

Oranges038

A lot of the time, these lads end up in goal permanently around 14/15 due to personal choice, an injury to the goalkeeper or some other necessity and they realise they are good there and enjoy it, the coaches do too and they end up staying put.

From what I've read, De Gea was a striker until 14, Joe Hart played outfield until he joined Shrewsbury full time, Buffon did too until around the same age. Ederson also as you mentioned. I'm sure there are lots more. But, it is really just like any other position, they're just way better at playing in goal than anywhere else on the pitch.

Kamprad

It would have been a mess. They’d yell at each other, fight teammates and get sent off probably.

The Original

A lot of the time, these lads end up in goal permanently around 14/15 due to personal choice, an injury to the goalkeeper or some other necessity and they realise they are good there and enjoy it, the coaches do too and they end up staying put.

From what I've read, De Gea was a striker until 14, Joe Hart played outfield until he joined Shrewsbury full time, Buffon did too until around the same age. Ederson also as you mentioned. I'm sure there are lots more. But, it is really just like any other position, they're just way better at playing in goal than anywhere else on the pitch.
I think most end up there quite reluctantly. At 14/15, you're not thinking about playing in your best position, you are still chasing the dream unless it is too obvious that you do not have any sort of future in your desired position. I would sincerely doubt that many goalkeepers have any sort of outfield ability.

The Original

Midfielders without a doubt for me. There is a reason why academy kids are made to play a few games in midfield regardless of their position. It's like a microcosm of the entire game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A modern goalkeeper will work just as hard as any outfield player on his fitness and will be a level above every amateur footballer.
True. And general fitness makes a hell of a difference.

But then again, the general fitness level of any footballer who falls into anything like a semi-pro category is much higher these days than it was decades ago. So, it may even out - so to speak.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't know how bad football gets after a certain level but would expect them to get relegated from any of the top 7 divisions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When needing a win to qualify for Europe. Stuart Pearce should never have got another job in football after that.
He seemed to find the sight of his lumbering keeper smashing into players quite funny too.
Funnier than he should have been finding it as the minutes drifted away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
De Gea would not be tough enough to play outfield.

Judging by Pickford's challenge on Van Dyke he's be a lower league midfield enforcer.
Pickford wouldn't last a minute as his speciality is cowardly lunges at knee height on almost stationery players.