What makes a great leader/captain?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This is often brought up when discussing Messi and Ronaldo and whether they’re great captains. Particularly Messi, I find. The very notion of him being a great captain or leader is almost laughable to some. I often find their views on what makes a great captain very myopic, as if there’s only one aspect to it. Keane is almost the prototypical example of what makes a great captain in many ways, in that he made his feelings known to those around him, and as a result, we could all see his anger if someone wasn’t living up to his high exceptions. Ramos is also another one, I guess.

But that’s just ONE aspect of it. At least in my opinion. Keane himself would say that the reason why he thinks many looked at him as being a great captain was because of the way he trained and played, not how much he shouted at someone or gave a rousing speech before a match. And if we look at captaincy through that lens, then surely there are no better leaders and captains out there than Ronaldo and Messi. If you step out on the pitch with Messi or Ronaldo, the respect and admiration you have for those two would surely inspire you to be at your best. That’s leadership, surely?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
can be one or a few of many things.

Consistent match winner
Professional
Great trainer/consistently sets and demands the highest standards of himself and others around him
Win at all costs personality
Bravery/Relentless/Puts body on the line
Intelligence
Stand out interpersonal skills/ Vocal
Charisma

redrobed

He’s got to shout a lot and be really loud and either a centre back or a central midfielder (defensive). Keano was the best captain of all time. And Giggsy.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A great captain is one who gets the best out of his team mates on the pitch and elevates their performances rather than bring them down.

What is a great captain for one team may not be a great captain for another as different environments require a certain type of character.

Some captains are more ‘transferable’ and would be great leaders in most environments and others are perfect for that particular side in that particular moment.

For example Gerrard was a great captain for Liverpool in that particular era but I can’t imagine his leadership skills being as effective in place of Roy Keane as part of our post Cantona side.

Mindhunter

A great captain is someone who is universally respected within the team and everyone trusts him to make decisions for the greater good of the team at all times.

gajender

A great captain is someone who is universally respected within the team and everyone trusts him to make decisions for the greater good of the team at all times.
What decisions a football team captain needs to make just curious .