What next for Thomas Tuchel?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So do I ….just curious to know if Chelsea fans want him back
I didn’t want him to leave in the first place. Really liked him but now I don’t want Potter to leave so, yeah.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone want him back at Chelsea?
Yes. I'm a Tuchel cultist who is of the opinion that he's the best manager we've ever had. Even before we hired him he was my dream managerial appointment, and then we got him and it was even better than I could have hoped for.

So yes, to say the least I'd have him back in a fecking instant.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
So do I ….just curious to know if Chelsea fans want him back
No.
Short term memories. Chelsea were right to get rid.
Really did love the guy for how he stuck by the club last year but his firing was performance based and possibly had more in the background we don’t know about. So this.

AshRK

Honest question to chelsea fans, do you think you lot would have been 10th place and knocked out of both cup competitions had Tuchel still been there?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Honest question to chelsea fans, do you think you lot would have been 10th place and knocked out of both cup competitions had Tuchel still been there?
We have been shit since last January with no end in sight. Tuchel showed no signs of changing anything g and oversaw and actively participated in signing the players we have now so it’s entirely plausible but you never can truly tell.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
We have been shit since last January with no end in sight. Tuchel showed no signs of changing anything g and oversaw and actively participated in signing the players we have now so it’s entirely plausible but you never can truly tell.
He didn't "actively participate" - he barely participated and this is why he was sacked. The owners were unhappy that he wasn't keen on taking on the duties of a DoF when he has said from day 1 that he prefers to just focus on coaching.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Of course not. We'd be miles better off.

Nothing will ever be as stupid as selling KdB because Mourinho decided he was bad after watching him play a single half of FA Cup football, but sacking Tuchel is almost certainly the second stupidest thing Chelsea have done over the past 20 years. Which is pretty significant given our track record of doing idiotic things.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean we were pretty garbage at the start of the season with Tuchel so who knows. With the same disruptions to the season and the same crazy injury list, you never know. It’s not impossible.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He didn't "actively participate" - he barely participated and this is why he was sacked. The owners were unhappy that he wasn't keen on taking on the duties of a DoF when he has said from day 1 that he prefers to just focus on coaching.
This looks is rather revisionist. He was never asked to do the duties of a DoF. He was asked for his input on incoming transfers. He would only reply with a thumbs up or down on the app they used to communicate. The fact is he refused to communicate with the new owners and the results were pretty bad. I cannot think of any manager that would have a team built around that behavior. I really liked the guy. I liked how he was really a part of the club. He overplayed his, I only want to coach hand. I think if the team was performing and winning they would have been more tolerant of his behavior.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This looks is rather revisionist. He was never asked to do the duties of a DoF. He was asked for his input on incoming transfers. He would only reply with a thumbs up or down on the app they used to communicate. The fact is he refused to communicate with the new owners and the results were pretty bad. I cannot think of any manager that would have a team built around that behavior. I really liked the guy. I liked how he was really a part of the club. He overplayed his, I only want to coach hand. I think if the team was performing and winning they would have been more tolerant of his behavior.
Where are you getting this from? It is incorrect. The issue wasn't due to the way Tuchel communicated over an app - it was because the owners wanted Tuchel to sit down with agents and 3rd parties and he instead sent his own agent and/or his assistants. Once Marina and Cech left there was no DoF hierarchy left in place whatsoever and most of that burden fell on Tuchel. The owners were unhappy with Tuchel's reluctance to take centre stage over transfers.

Righteous Steps

Sorry but the thought of the thumb up or down is hilarious, proper peculiar character is Tuchel, great coach though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sorry but the thought of the thumb up or down is hilarious, proper peculiar character is Tuchel, great coach though.
A pretty dumb one as well if he refused to coomincate with the management, how long would anyone last in their job by refusing to talk to their boss!

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
When you draw Man City away in both cups in the first round of participation there's really not all that much you can do with an injury stricken squad no matter who the manager is. So yeah I do think we'd very likely be out of both cups even with Tuchel.

As for the league form, who knows? Tuchel's league start was almost equally horrendous to what we've seen under Potter. 10 points from 6 games is what Tuchel got before the sack, and to be fair the performances against West Ham and Leicester should never have won us those games so it could very easily have been 6 points in 6 games.

Of course Tuchel knew the squad better and the players knew his game system better too so maybe if he'd stayed there's a chance our league form could have turned around and not stayed as bad as it was early into the season but then again maybe not? It's not like the second half of 2021/22 under Tuchel was all that great either (33 points in 19 games) and that bad form continued into this season even with Tuchel still in charge so clearly he was struggling to get his ideas through as well. All this just leads me to think it's the players who are at fault first and foremost, not so much the manager.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Where are you getting this from? It is incorrect. The issue wasn't due to the way Tuchel communicated over an app - it was because the owners wanted Tuchel to sit down with agents and 3rd parties and he instead sent his own agent and/or his assistants. Once Marina and Cech left there was no DoF hierarchy left in place whatsoever and most of that burden fell on Tuchel. The owners were unhappy with Tuchel's reluctance to take centre stage over transfers.
That is not what was reported at all. They were unhappy he refused to communicate with them. Boehly took center stage as the role of DoF from the beginning and was very criticized for the move. You are framing events for your own narrative.

This chronicles the breakdown of communication between Tuchel and the owners. Boehly took over DoF duties from the very beginning. Tuchel was never asked to take over DoF.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...een-boehly-and-tuchel-as-head-coach-is-sacked

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That is not what was reported at all. They were unhappy he refused to communicate with them. Boehly took center stage as the role of DoF from the beginning and was very criticized for the move. You are framing events for your own narrative.

This chronicles the breakdown of communication between Tuchel and the owners. Boehly took over DoF duties from the very beginning. Tuchel was never asked to take over DoF.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...een-boehly-and-tuchel-as-head-coach-is-sacked
Obviously he wasn't the actual DoF, but he was relied upon hugely by Boehly as a total novice for help evaluating players and dealing with agents. Tuchel has openly spoken about how he hates this aspect of football and prefers to focus solely on coaching.

Literally in that piece you linked it talks about how Tuchel was dragged into meetings to discuss random potential signings. This is not what he signed up for at all and it was his reluctance to participate that was cited as a primary reason for sacking him:

https://theathletic.com/3576054/2022/09/08/tuchel-sacking-chelsea-potter/

By the end of pre-season, Tuchel felt the meetings were endless, with different owners demanding his time at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Tuchel did not in fact, perhaps understandably, always step up himself, instead sending his agent to recruitment meetings so he could focus on coaching the team. This is understood to have been an early source of tension with Chelsea’s new owners, who were seeking more direct communication with and input from their head coach as part of the process of identifying transfer targets.
Boehly and Eghbali made a bad impression on Tuchel in one early recruitment meeting by accidentally drawing up plans for a team in a 4-4-3 formation, something Chelsea deny happening. Tuchel and his staff encountered what they felt were several ‘slapstick’ moments as the owners adapted to the rules and setup of football.

In the midst of pre-season, Chelsea’s head coach also felt the extensive discussions over targets ate into the time he needed to prepare his players for the new season, feeding into his decision to send his agent to attend in his place.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ah yes the PR war between Boehly and Tuchel where each side is painting the other as unreasonable and difficult.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel DID sign up to be “dragged into meetings”. They specifically asked him if he wanted to direct our transfer strategy, he said yes, and did nearly nothing to follow through.

Simon Jordon was just on your tv and said he knew from other owners he talks to regularly about specific incidents that he considered so bad Tuchel wouldn’t have been out “without a moments hesitation, MUCH sooner”, but that it was this story to tell.

That is coming from someone hyper critical of Boehly as a general rule, and has actual interactions directly with PL owners regularly.

The Clearlake guys are always thinking about legacy, image and trying to be positive while moving things forward.

So, others need to say it in their stead: Tuchel is a trash can fire of a human and a coach. He leaves nearly every locker room and team this way, and he generally doesn’t make it past year two with teams for a reason.

People waxing lyrical as if he would have beaten City with those lineups? No. Wouldn’t have happened.

And the primary imbalances of this team are HIS fault. His decisions: Aubamayang, Koulibaliy, forcing Azpi to stay and not recruit another RB, telling the owners midfield was set.

We only have Zakaria because outside people told our group that Tuchel was going to destroy us, we were already working on his departure and went around him to secure the loan… and he’s been our only consistency in midfield lately; when he doesn’t play, we can’t function.

We have an actual team builder in place, and all people want is the guy that squeezed all the juice fro us to begin with ….

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
So, others need to say it in their stead: Tuchel is a trash can fire of a human and a coach. He leaves nearly every locker room and team this way, and he generally doesn’t make it past year two with teams for a reason.
Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

Things certainly weren't perfect under TT and I too think he's partly/mostly responsible for some of the bad decisions made in the squad building that have contributed to the problems we're now facing but really, a 'trash can fire of a human'? That bit tells me a lot more about you than it does about Tuchel.

Robbie Boy

When rivals are delighted to see your manager sacked, you know you've fecked up. Tuchel is clearly a far superior manager to Potter, and it's not even remotely close.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

Things certainly weren't perfect under TT and I too think he's partly/mostly responsible for some of the bad decisions made in the squad building that have contributed to the problems we're now facing but really, a 'trash can fire of a human'? That bit tells me a lot more about you than it does about Tuchel.

He sets fire to everything he touches. He is a borderline manic personality, and frankly people can’t take him for extended periods.

If it’s so extreme an opinion, then why do almost all the people that have worked with him on other teams feel the same way?

At a pivotal point of the new formation of Chelsea under our owners his behavior was so erratic that players were talking openly about his collapsing marriage, and he would only communicate with his employers through thumbs up or thumbs down emoji’s.

I hope he gets things squared away. I’m grateful for the cup run. But right about now I’d say my description is apt, and he was pivotal in putting this team in the position it finds itself now.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Again, I liked Tuchel. He just severally overplayed his hand of not communicating with the new owners. That exchange with Conte was super cringe.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ill take a stab at RB Leipzig for Tuchel
Very unlikely in the near future. It could have happened a few months ago, but as Leipzig went for Marco Rose it's not going to happen soon, Rose will likely stay quite some time in that job.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Odds sizeably shortened a fair bit today at a number of bookies (to be our next manager).

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Odds sizeably shortened a fair bit today at a number of bookies (to be our next manager).
Probably the case for every available manager since ETH should be even closer to getting fired after today‘s game?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Man. United could do far far worse this summer.

Tuchel has his flaws but he's a deep thinker on the game and exploited Arsenal in a way not many have in the last few months.

Not sure why his Chelsea spell is just getting dismissed either. In 18 months one CL, two other cup finals lost narrowly on penalties and 4th (after they were about 7th when Lampard was sacked) and 3rd. Under Conte they finished 5th in 17/18 and now it's a struggle for them to even finish top 8.

Think the Chelsea exit would've rankled with him and a feeling of unfinished business in the premier league.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His stock is back to a high level after eliminated Arsenal in CL, even with so many injuries in his squad. He will get a big job offer this summer.

Ace of Spades

I don't particularly care, I will always give support to a new manager, but then it is up to them to earn their place at the club.

Walters_19_MuFc

If Tuchel comes:

Onana
Centre Back Martinez Shaw
Dalot Number 8 Mainoo Left Wing Back
Bruno Mount
Hojlund

OR

Onana
Centre Back Martinez Shaw
Dalot Bruno Mainoo Left Wing Back
Garnacho Mount
Hojlund​

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d have Tuchel top of the list tbh. I know many like De Zerbi, Motta, Amorim and the like, but if Ten Hag lost the respect of the caf because it’s “only the Dutch league” then how long will those guys get?