What should Chelsea do?

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans absolutely love Mourinho. Everything about him, his mannerisms, his arrogance , his winning mentality. That is what most of them are holding too. If he leaves now, they know that he'll never return.

Trying to make them see that Mourinho might be the problem is an almost impossible task. They love him too much too see that. They'll blame everything including before Roman before they turn on him. I am sorry to say this but its not necessarily because they are being great fans, its because its him. Any other manager and they would have turned already.
Not true. Many were absolutely livid about Ancelotti and Di Matteo getting the sack.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Not true. Many were absolutely livid about Ancelotti and Di Matteo getting the sack.
For how long ? A few weeks, there wasnt this sustained support that Jose is getting. Rather its one /two weeks of complains, a quiet shrug of the shoulders and then move on. But Jose has been different, and this is the worst title defense in premier league history too.

My point is that managers have been treated differently at the Bridge relative to what Jose is getting. And the unyielding support where all criticism is shot down. Because Jose is loved that much, but that blinds your fans to his faults too.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
For how long ? A few weeks, there wasnt this sustained support that Jose is getting. Rather its one /two weeks of complains, a quiet shrug of the shoulders and then move on. But Jose has been different, and this is the worst title defense in premier league history too.

My point is that managers have been treated differently at the Bridge relative to what Jose is getting. And the unyielding support where all criticism is shot down. Because Jose is loved that much, but that blinds your fans to his faults too.
About a month after Di Matteo was sacked. Chelsea fans were doing that cheer and clap on 16 minutes of every game. The difference is that Mourinho has been given more support from the board.

Also, Ancelotti had support throughout a really shit November period too.

Its looking like he needs to go. Hes obviously a manager who demands everything from his players and someone in the dressing room has taken issue with that, either because hes dropped a popular figure, called out a player who thinks theyre above it, or they simply cant maintain his required intensity. Either way, everyone knows once the Chelsea dressing room wants you gone its only a matter of time.

I almost feel sorry for Mourinho. This was supposed to be the job to cement his legacy as one of the greats.

K2K

About a month after Di Matteo was sacked. Chelsea fans were doing that cheer and clap on 16 minutes of every game. The difference is that Mourinho has been given more support from the board.

Also, Ancelotti had support throughout a really shit November period too.
But the support didnt last long after that. Its Mourinho, I understand why you treat him differently.

Chelsea fans cant seem to take criticism directed towards him, and the honest truth is that as much as some players have really struggled this season, he's been a vital contributor to this whole mess. It was him that played Ivanovic week after week, its him who thought Falcao was a good signing, it's him that has hardly given chances to the younger players, even with some of them playing well when given chances and its him that led to the Eva mess that could have been handled professionally and avoided. I am saying that if the players are being blamed, Mr Mourinho should get plenty of it too. But Chelsea fans refuse to see that, because its Mourinho.

If Mourinho gets some reprieve, surely that should be extended to the players too.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Its looking like he needs to go. Hes obviously a manager who demands everything from his players and someone in the dressing room has taken issue with that, either because hes dropped a popular figure, called out a player who thinks theyre above it, or they simply cant maintain his required intensity. Either way, everyone knows once the Chelsea dressing room wants you gone its only a matter of time.

I almost feel sorry for Mourinho. This was supposed to be the job to cement his legacy as one of the greats.
That has to be one of the toughest dressing rooms around in terms of history. United has a tradition of authority figures, Arsene is cleary boss in his domain. It was apparent with say Moyes that you need to be credible to the players when you speak. But Chelsea has a history, which most of us know in some way or another; player revolts, cliques, favourites, petulant owner, conveyor belt of managers. When it goes wrong, mighty hard to get it back on the tracks. When he came in, and said 'I am the Special One', he was believed. Now?

Akshay

Staff
Yeah there's some weird narrative about LVG spending an absolute shed load and Mourinho being hamstrung by his tightfisted chairmen. He's spent 170 million in the last two years since LVG got here, and a lof of the players that people are saying should be replaced (Fabregas, Matic and Costa) have been signed by him. As a matter of fact his best player of the season (Willian) was signed by Abramovic ("Willian had been close to joining Tottenham after having a medical last Wednesday only for Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich to intervene".)
That's because United are expected to spend peanuts and be successful a la under Fergie, while Chelsea are expected to brush off 50 million flops with Roman's oil money. No one's writing stories about City spending a shedload cos they're City, it's what they do. It's news-worthy when it's United because we've spent money in the last two years on a scale unprecedented at this club. The standards are different.

If Chelsea are going to continue trying to toe the FFP line, they have to sack Mourinho imo. They won't be able to afford a complete rebuild if the likes of Costa, Hazard, Fabregas, Oscar, Matic, and Terry all need replacing. They need at least half of those players to stick.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not because the results are bad it's because the atmosphere is poisonous and his egomaniasm is responsible for it.
Is there real evidence for that? It may be the case but the downturn could be down to a number of factors.

crimsonife

Most of these players arent deadwood though. They are just not playing well in the current circumstances. For whatever reason.
Most of them are good players but they are still holding onto players like Mikel, Ivanovic, Ramires, Falcao. Not a lot but can be improved on. Anyway if these players can't find their form they simply aren't that good.

K2K

Most of them are good players but they are still holding onto players like Mikel, Ivanovic, Ramires, Falcao. Not a lot but can be improved on. Anyway if these players can't find their form they simply aren't that good.
Ramires has been quite decent when played, and Falcao and Mikel hardly play to hardly qualify for the cause of this mess. Ivanovic is terrible, but he's injured now, and things arent any better. At what point do we also look at the manager?

crimsonife

Ramires has been quite decent when played, and Falcao and Mikel hardly play to hardly qualify for the cause of this mess. Ivanovic is terrible, but he's injured now, and things arent any better. At what point do we also look at the manager?
Yep I have said the manager is also a factor but I feel it's half players half manager. Improving the squad can't hurt after a relatively quiet one this year, but the manager is more complicated. I can only see Ancelotti going there and improving on Mourinho.

K2K

Yep I have said the manager is also a factor but I feel it's half players half manager. Improving the squad can't hurt after a relatively quiet one this year, but the manager is more complicated. I can only see Ancelotti going there and improving on Mourinho.
I agree, neither are blameless. But thats why I brought that up, the Chelsea fans in their obsession to defend Mourinho in everything have thrown all the players under the bus. The blame should be apportioned.

Ancelotti should never been fired in the first place. He brings results without the excess garbage that Mourinho brings.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Costa illustrates quite well the problems of Chelsea. Instead of playing football he is throwing out his toys every game. He is permanently winding up himself. He is actually a quite good footballer and showed that for Atletico on a regular basis and now seems to have lost all his skill.

Chelsea were tactically quite poor last year. No top team, including the likes of Juve or Atletico were that negative and uncreative. For all his greatness, Jose is quite one-dimensional when it comes to tactics. He seems to be completely unable to adapt or change stuff. His way to grind through games seems to wear off quite fast and I wouldn´t just blame the players for that. There are a few bad apples in the squad, like Fabregas, who might have a questionable character, but overall most players were usually happy to work their socks off.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Clearly Chelsea need to sack the manager first and foremost ... not least because his egotistical, narcissistic, petulant and paranoid management style has caused some of the players to copy-cat these patterns of behaviour.

Witness Costa, who seems more interested in playing role of thug, pantomime villain and wind-up merchant than he does in actually playing football. Or witness several other players, who now seem to play more as individuals and less as part of a collective, cohesive team.

Relem

What Chelsea are doing this season is remarkable. I can't remember a championship winning team ever slumping like this in the following season when the management and the personnel has remained the same. The methods that worked for mourinho previously are clearly failing now, and whilst he grapples with why his team continue to lose. Perhaps someone as confrontational as mourinho has a limited shelf life because he eventually alienates too many of his players.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
They should hire Moyes. After all he's got experience in being handed the reins of the reigning champions and looks like he might be free.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Jose should remain I think, he's still one of the best managers in the game (after Pep and Ancelotti, maybe Simeone also). They really didn't play badly against Stoke and would've won on another day with a similar performance, but if they regress from that performance back to what they have been showing this season, then a decision on Jose might be necessary, but now I don't think things are quite that drastic - yet.

Then in January, or more likely the summer, then they have to go back to what got them where they were in the first place - spend as much of the owner's money as they possibly can. The problem here though is that (as we have found ourselves) that there is a shortage of talent actually worth the high fees being paid.

That's assuming you want them to get better and recover of course - personally I say feck them :D

ManUArfa

Most of their players are mercenaries. They're not at Chelsea for the mystique and history of the club or for its fan base. They're there for the cash. Why would be surprised when they stop playing after winning the league?

What should they do? I think Abramovic should say "enough's enough" and sell up so they can become a yo-yo side.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Most of their players are mercenaries. They're not at Chelsea for the mystique and history of the club or for its fan base. They're there for the cash. Why would be surprised when they stop playing after winning the league?

What should they do? I think Abramovic should say "enough's enough" and sell up so they can become a yo-yo side.
That's also pretty much every single one of our players. I wouldn't say that Martial or Darmian are here for our history, moreso the wages we pay.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This whole situation has only come about because of Mourinho. It's all stemmed from his self pity/idiocy from the end of last season that has spilled over into this and then spiralled into a storm when things started going wrong. He just wants to feel sorry for himself and so the players have taken the same stance.

Once he starts acting like a grown up things might start to turn around...though I'm not entirely convinced the solution to Jose Mourinho is Jose Mourinho, as opposed to getting rid of Jose Mourinho.

The other thing is people go on as if Mourinho is some genius who is guaranteed to turn his fortunes around, but there is no precedent for Mouriinho rebuilding a team after he has destroyed it, at all. To my knowledge he's never even tried.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

The majority of the players in the league are mercenaries. There's a prevalent misconception that mercenaries only exist in football at 'sugar-daddy' clubs like City, PSG and Chelsea. It's bullshit. Footballers are humans and like the majority of us they will go to whoever offers them the most money, whether they play for City, United, Sunderland or Accrington Stanley. 'The mystique' of the club is an utterly laughable term and you're incredibly naive if you think that's an enticing factor of any great significance to anyone. Sure, to play for a club with a history like Liverpool or United is nice if you're a neutral, but it's not as nice as an extra £10k+ a week in your bank account, or your actual chance of winning trophies, or location, or the desire shown by the club to sign you...numerous other factors also to consider before 'mystique'.

Tincanalley

The majority of the players in the league are mercenaries. There's a prevalent misconception that mercenaries only exist in football at 'sugar-daddy' clubs like City, PSG and Chelsea. It's bullshit. Footballers are humans and like the majority of us they will go to whoever offers them the most money, whether they play for City, United, Sunderland or Accrington Stanley. 'The mystique' of the club is an utterly laughable term and you're incredibly naive if you think that's an enticing factor of any great significance to anyone. Sure, to play for a club with a history like Liverpool or United is nice if you're a neutral, but it's not as nice as an extra £10k+ a week in your bank account, or your actual chance of winning trophies, or location, or the desire shown by the club to sign you...numerous other factors also to consider before 'mystique'.
Unless you are RVP and you have an inner little boy drowning out the voice of your agent.

Tincanalley

Jose needs to do his homework on League One. And stock up on on diesel for the bus; most of the teams are up North. Has he even been to Scunthorpe, anyway? Some tough matches on the road next season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How likely is it that Chelsea will splash the cash in January to try and save their season?

and who can they go for?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I don´t think that this makes any sense for them. What could they possibly achieve? They are too far behind to finish top4 and even top6 is almost impossible. At the same time, they won´t get relegated with this squad (and if they are in real danger they´ll sack Jose and a care-taker will settle the ship). Wasting money in January would be stupid.

Sylar

I think a lot of the senior players are letting down Chelsea. But then Jose is also at fault, some of the ways hes used some of the youngsters has been baffling. Chelsea fans of course can correct me.

Wheres Loftus btw? I swear ive only seen him like once played out of position.

thelemon

Is it us that holds the record for worst Prem title defence, or is it still Blackburn?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
They'll need to do more than get rid of Mourinho. If title-winning Chelsea players can't perform for their club legend title-winning boss, then who will they turn up for?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Perhaps play their youth team. Their fans usually brags so much about how good they are :lol:.

Nevertheless, Mourinho has been humbled this season. He was such an arrogant individual when they were winning and now I imagine, he understands the concept of humility. I imagine he will come out a better man and a manager if he stays with Chelsea next season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Sack Mourinho, sign a new striker, prolific winger, a midfielder who can dictate tempo, a CB to partner with Zouma, an attacking FB.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Perhaps play their youth team. Their fans usually brags so much about how good they are :lol:.

Nevertheless, Mourinho has been humbled this season. He was such an arrogant individual when they were winning and now I imagine, he understands the concept of humility. I imagine he will come out a better man and a manager if he stays with Chelsea next season.
He's a lying tosspot who refuses to play them. Instead we are subjected to the same senior players not giving a shit every week, leaving us with not only bad results but also a certain resigned doom in knowing that these losses aren't going towards developing young players which will pay off in the future. Its so bleak being a Chelsea fan at the moment.

Sack Mourinho, sign a new striker, prolific winger, a midfielder who can dictate tempo, a CB to partner with Zouma, an attacking FB.
We don't even need all of that. We have a good CB in Christensen, a good attacking LB in Ake and also a great winger in Kenedy. All we really need is a replacement for Fabregas and a replacement for Costa.

Sylar

Good to see Remy score in a way. Hes been painfully underused imo.