What should the punishment be for Manchester City?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This thread needs a poll, with no Eboue option

Gasolin

It's UEFA related so no Champions League football or money for a couple of years?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
They should have all their European trophies stripped.... wait, they don't have any!

In all seriousness they should definitely be punished. For anyone interested check what happened to Melbourne Storm when they falsified player payments by topping up player wages with fake sponsorships breaking the salary cap rules in Australian Rugby League. This is more or less the same.

Does the FA have any rules on this?

It's nothing like the same and it's not an FA matter as city are governed by the rules laid down by Premier League not the FA FPP rules

Klean

If found guilty, there will be a fine. I would also think a transfer ban (1 year) could also fix the issue. I think they are too big of an international draw to be banned from the Champions league, and lets face it money talks.

youmeletsfly

What could the FA do? They didn't break any Premier League rules. Just like Leicester didn't break Premier League rules when they broke Football League FPP rules
Let s see how it unfolds. The newspaper promises to show how they move, possibily launder the money.

And yes, id there isn t anything illegal they can t be punished internally. I'm there is, not out of City hate but out of Uae hate(no disrespect to our uae fans).

That club is just a marketing scheme for their dodgy politics, even if they re doing fine on the sporting end, I can t stand the idea behind it.

Darlington Padgett

It's UEFA related so no Champions League football or money for a couple of years?
They should be punished in the league too. They're allegedly paying players through shell companies and surely breaking laws locally with all those fake numbers. The league shouldn't allow them to do that.

Reactions: SteveJ

Thunderhead

Supports
City
They should be punished in the league too. They're allegedly paying players through shell companies and surely breaking laws locally with all those fake numbers. The league shouldn't allow them to do that.
Not against the rules, wouldn't be surprised if 70-80%+ are paid this way

JSArsenal

Does anyone think its possible that City have been lying about the wages that they pay to their top stars?

Whenever I hear about the amount of money an Aguero or David Silva were making over the years, it never added up to me. I think Wenger even hinted at one time that the wage bills of some clubs were higher than they report them to be

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Does anyone think its possible that City have been lying about the wages that they pay to their top stars?

Whenever I hear about the amount of money an Aguero or David Silva were making over the years, it never added up to me. I think Wenger even hinted at one time that the wage bills of some clubs were higher than they report them to be
Hypothetical question. If the City owners said to Kun/David that, after they finish playing for City, they'll receive an off-the books payment of £XXm, but there was no sort of official contract/deal in place... Would it be possible to punish City for that?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hypothetical question. If the City owners said to Kun/David that, after they finish playing for City, they'll receive an off-the books payment of £XXm, but there was no sort of official contract/deal in place... Would it be possible to punish City for that?
I’d assume that if it was purely a verbal agreement and the payment went through an entire different entity (or even straight from the sheikhs account), there’d be little to no way it could be proven that the payment was related to services for man city.

I mean, it would seem obvious that it was (what other dealings would guys like Kun and Silva have with them?), but the onus of proof would probably have to lie with Uefa/fifa and I’d say it’d be a step too far for them to prove - or throw resources at proving?

On a side note - I doubt anyone would just accept such agreements anyway. So somewhere, there’d be an audit trail.

JSArsenal

I'm not sure, golden parachute payments are legal, although those are for when a contract is terminated.

I just feel like there is something weird going on with City and its players. Every other top club loses players, whether or not said club is winning the league or CL (Neymar). Or their best players threaten to leave and kick up a fuss for a new contract (Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi, Ozil).

But with City, they keep all of their best players and no one ever seems to want to leave or comments in the press angling for a new contract. Either they have the loyalist group of players football has ever seen or something more is going on.

I thought I was just being paranoid with the above thoughts until this news came out. If they can cook the books with sponsorship deals, what is stopping them from paying their top players under the table?

Darlington Padgett

Those comments from Infantino about saving football are baffling... How on earth is fraud and laundering money making football look good atm?

Robertd0803

Ban them from football and strip them of the 11/12 title and last season's title. As a goodwill gesture we will let them keep the 13/14 title though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Pure logic says; you cheated to get better players with whom you won titles. They should lose those titles. If they get only money penalty then you send a message that crime pays off.
Plus ban from CL on few seasons.

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
What exactly has been done wrong in law? I don’t see a thing. All the stuff under FFP (individually taken out of context and cobbled together to paint an unconvincing picture) is irrelevant due to the deal reached with UEFA. That was reached because, otherwise they would have sued UEFA in European courts (anti competition law). Any attempt to sanction anything in the past would be met with a court case where she he authorities would lose and have to pay reputational damages.

If people believe there are illegal accounting activities going on could first get convincing evidence and then prosecute but they won’t find anything imo. Any further attempt by UEFA under FFP will be taken through the courts and city will win as FFP is anti competitive and they know it.

Punishment for what? Nada.

acnumber9

What could the FA do? They didn't break any Premier League rules. Just like Leicester didn't break Premier League rules when they broke Football League FPP rules
The Premier League has the same rule regarding market value of sponsorship doesnit not?