What should Utd's footballing philosophy be?

Flanders Devil

I think for me the answer is not necessarily around attacking or defensive, high or low tempo, long or short ball, etc.

But I think our identity should play one that plays with a swagger that almost borders on arrogant.

Like if he opposition want to attack us, great good luck beating our defence. If they want to sit back, we’ll well attack you and we’ll score.

Players like Schmiecal, Rio, Evra, 92 mids, Keane, Pogba, Ronaldo, Rooney (Prime), Zlatan, to name a few are those that I see epitomise what i’d like - those who simply don’t give a f about what the other team do - it’s just about our game.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I have no issue in the way we play currently and feel like it does have a philosophy. This is a good run down

The issue for me, is if we are playing on the counter, the players have to move the ball quicker up the pitch and release the ball quicker from their initial touch. Lukaku needs to improve in that aspect, but he's getting there. Pogba seems half interested in doing this at points and we never release Sanchez when he makes his first run.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I have no issue in the way we play currently and feel like it does have a philosophy. This is a good run down

The issue for me, is if we are playing on the counter, the players have to move the ball quicker up the pitch and release the ball quicker from their initial touch. Lukaku needs to improve in that aspect, but he's getting there. Pogba seems half interested in doing this at points and we never release Sanchez when he makes his first run.
That was an interesting watch. One criticism I'd make is that we don't actually have any wingers at all and the full backs are pretty useless at providing decent width these days. Whilst he might have a clear idea of how he wants to play he hasn't recruited the right personal. Secondly, Mourinho's reactive style is really dull.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That was an interesting watch. One criticism I'd make is that we don't actually have any wingers at all and the full backs are pretty useless at providing decent width these days. Whilst he might have a clear idea of how he wants to play he hasn't recruited the right personal. Secondly, Mourinho's reactive style is really dull.
Yeah, I honestly think we'd be entertained if Mourinho had got Perisic last year and some of the players he asked for. I have to say he's been proven right twice now, with how well Perisic played in the WC and how shite our CBs were at the start of the season. I think the poignant part is the cautious approach in big games. This is was still a philosophy of SAF at points, we just always had the personnel to really damage teams. Recruitment has been the biggest downfall of Mourinho's tenure, with regards to our philosophy, but I don't think that the blame can be squarely at his feet.

cyril C

Yeah, I honestly think we'd be entertained if Mourinho had got Perisic last year and some of the players he asked for. I have to say he's been proven right twice now, with how well Perisic played in the WC and how shite our CBs were at the start of the season. I think the poignant part is the cautious approach in big games. This is was still a philosophy of SAF at points, we just always had the personnel to really damage teams. Recruitment has been the biggest downfall of Mourinho's tenure, with regards to our philosophy, but I don't think that the blame can be squarely at his feet.
60m for a 29 years old? And another 60m for a 30 years old CB? That is called ransom. But perhaps the issue was with the player himself. If he doesn't want a move and the club doesn't want to sell, only ridiculous offer can make something happen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That’s not the point, mourinho has identified the profile of the signings he needed. If we’re not willing to buy them or not good enough to negotiate a suitable deal, we have a scouting department for exactly that reason.