What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

croadyman

Great prospect but at his best centrally. Would not fix anything on the right, plays in Bruno's spot.

We need a true RW. Not too many available at the level we need though. Zaha is better on the left and even played more as a ST last year at times.

At this point I am pretty jealous of Ziyech and Bergwijn both could be huge upgrades to our right side.

Somewhat realistic options that are true RWs:
Sarr - Far from perfect but would be a good choice to rotate with Mason
Chiesa - kind of a right sided Zaha in the role and position they play with their team, plays at ST sometimes
Chukwueze - Not consistent enough, but when he is on he is a joy to watch
Tysgankov - Never saw him play but is highly thought of as a prospect and seen his name mentioned before
Neres - Good but progress has kind of stalled
Brooks - I always thought of him being better as a CAM

Anyone else?
Traore maybe

marktan

Great prospect but at his best centrally. Would not fix anything on the right, plays in Bruno's spot.

We need a true RW. Not too many available at the level we need though. Zaha is better on the left and even played more as a ST last year at times.

At this point I am pretty jealous of Ziyech and Bergwijn both could be huge upgrades to our right side.

Somewhat realistic options that are true RWs:
Sarr - Far from perfect but would be a good choice to rotate with Mason
Chiesa - kind of a right sided Zaha in the role and position they play with their team, plays at ST sometimes
Chukwueze - Not consistent enough, but when he is on he is a joy to watch
Tysgankov - Never saw him play but is highly thought of as a prospect and seen his name mentioned before
Neres - Good but progress has kind of stalled
Brooks - I always thought of him being better as a CAM

Anyone else?
Saint-Maximin - he's a better and more explosive dribbler than any of those on the list. He only lacks end product, but he's young and like Mane can add that to his game. He is better on the left but he has played on the right for Newcastle a decent amount and would be a good option for us there too. Just having someone you can give the ball to and run at players would be a huge improvement for us.

foolsgold

Saint-Maximin - he's a better and more explosive dribbler than any of those on the list. He only lacks end product, but he's young and like Mane can add that to his game. He is better on the left but he has played on the right for Newcastle a decent amount and would be a good option for us there too. Just having someone you can give the ball to and run at players would be a huge improvement for us.
Newcastle would want a stupid sum of money though, it'd be longstaff all over again

Pav1878

Some good suggestions here, but part of me thinks we should adopt the same approach Liverpool have in terms of transfers. They couldn't get VVD for whatever reason and then didn't buy any old CB to fill the void, they waited for their number one target.

There are other v good options out there for RW but I don't want to buy someone sub standard and add another to the list of deadwood in a few years time.

Adamsk7

Think Sarr is the likely choice and most gettable if we also wanna continue with our Sancho pursuit next year. He’s in a championship team who we’ve also just given James Garner to on loan so clubs may have already had dialogue. Doubt he’d cost loads, probably £30m or so and he’d rotate with Greenwood. Next year, if things are more financially stable, then maybe we try for Sancho again, with Sarr as his competition and Greenwood competing with Martial.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
You ain't going to win the league with any of the players suggested in this thread.

AneRu

Some good suggestions here, but part of me thinks we should adopt the same approach Liverpool have in terms of transfers. They couldn't get VVD for whatever reason and then didn't buy any old CB to fill the void, they waited for their number one target.

There are other v good options out there for RW but I don't want to buy someone sub standard and add another to the list of deadwood in a few years time.
Liverpool had a functional team by then so they had the luxury of waiting for six months. Dortmund wont sell Sancho to us in the mid season and not having a credible option for the right wing could torpedo our season, effectively taking us out of the running for Sancho or any other potential top player next season as we wouldn't have CL.

Irrational.

What are even our options at this stage? Chiesa? Sarr? Dembele/Perisic on loan?
Surely in terms of likelihood it'd be:

1. Sarr
2. Traore (Wolves have spent a shit-tonne and may need the money to balance the books).
3. Brooks
4. Dembele
5. A wildcard option that no one has heard of in the Martial mould.

Redcy

Dembele can’t play more than five games in a row.

costa - awful, expensive

amad - young unproven

traore -80m

brooks -30m after a season of injuries

sarr - meh skill wise

Greenwood can’t be relied on for 60 games

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think this has been stated to death already - Mason cannot play 50 games this year as a right winger.
He won't. Dan James or some other cheaper new signing will play there when he can't.

Mason will be first choice this season now. Glazers aren't trying to win the title.

AFC NimbleThumb

Mason Greenwood???
I simply can not with some of our fans!

This isn’t FIFA, you can not play your first choice 11 all season - how many times do we need to witness Dan James against an organised defence to know we need more options in attack - buying another forward doesn’t derail Greenwood.

HJ12

He won't. Dan James or some other cheaper new signing will play there when he can't.

Mason will be first choice this season now. Glazers aren't trying to win the title.
That will be tragic. James should be shifted to back-up left winger asap. Desperately need some quality down that side. Right winger is becoming what the central midfield was for us in terms of neglect a decade ago.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I simply can not with some of our fans!

This isn’t FIFA, you can not play your first choice 11 all season - how many times do we need to witness Dan James against an organised defence to know we need more options in attack - buying another forward doesn’t derail Greenwood.
Don't think you understood mate. I'm not advocating for it. I'm telling you that's what happening. I wanted Sancho even though I always thought it wasn't likely.

NoPace

The issue with Adama is that he's not going to get the space he get with wolves meaning his biggest asset is useless.
Nah, the issue with Adama is that our strikers can't head the ball or finish in the box and a good chunk of his value (at present) is beating fullbacks down the right wing and putting in crosses. Sort of like if we'd signed Valencia but not had Chicharito or Rooney.

However, Rashford as a natural striker playing out left like Richarlison or Cristiano does suggest a RW who puts in crosses isn't a terrible fit for us. Everton already seem to be doing well with James looking to playmake from the right for Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin.

The case for Sancho is really that he's elite at getting the ball onto the feet of scorers and we have 3 strikers quite good with the ball at their feet and not so much at anything else yet.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Honestly if we don't get Sancho then don't bother getting anyone, we did the stop gap signing last summer in James and look at the pelters he gets. Yes it's far from ideal but the last thing we need is more players on high wages that ultimately aren't good enough

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Liverpool moving on from Sarr to Jota on the same weekend he was left out of the Watford team. He's going somewhere.

Reckon it will be Mason first choice with Sarr being the better under study.

starman

The issue with Adama is that he's not going to get the space he get with wolves meaning his biggest asset is useless.
He can play in tight spaces and skin people with ease, so don't see it being a big issue. His biggest problem has been the final ball but that has improved a lot since at Wolves.

Sarr is the one that will struggle alot against defenses that sit deep, imo

Last edited:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Honestly if we don't get Sancho then don't bother getting anyone, we did the stop gap signing last summer in James and look at the pelters he gets. Yes it's far from ideal but the last thing we need is more players on high wages that ultimately aren't good enough
Yep. It's a bloody nightmare. As I keep saying we're not only failing to shift our old deadwood but also potentially creating a lot more for the new manager whenever he arrives.

Houdini

One of Chiesa, A. Traore, Brooks if we want to compete for top 4 this season.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
So accept we have got feck all beyond Mason and hope for the best?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So accept we have got feck all beyond Mason and hope for the best?
You make it sound like it's a new problem? Last summer no one expected even Greenwood to be an option so it was James/Andreas/Lingard and hope for the best

AsonUnique

Traore maybe
Absolutely left him off but we would have to overpay for him. Still would be a huge upgrade and still only 24.

Just saw some Twitter rumors on Calvin Stengs from PSV. Good prospect but I feel like he would need some time to adapt to the physicality of the league. I don't remember him standing out when we played them, but I also forgot what I had for breakfast today. Anyone remember how he did against us?

Sea-Cow

Why would they sell to us ???
One reason might be because we are a joke and they don't consider us as proper competition for the trophies they are trying to win. But yeah they probably won't anyway.

kbbear

Maybe bring forward Filip Stevanovic if we did in fact sign him. But he's probably not ready yet.

Last edited: