What two positions should we prioritise in the upcoming window?

Stretender

People on here are obsessed with a CDM. Ole is a Ferguson clone he will be thinking more about attack and possibly a centre half. Fred can do a CDM job efficiently and effectively. This is not Atletico Madrid the philosophy here is attack attack attack. He will sign Sancho, that's guaranteed, but he would also be wise to invest in a striker. Martial and Rashford are not consistent, Greenwood is a kid and Ighalo is a temp. There is a very strong case for a striker.

wolvored

I'm sure those people who think RW isn't necessary anymore are just joking. No way they are being serious. Few very good performance recently from Greenwood doesn't change fact that we still need it. Sancho isn't only a RW but also LW and also a creative player. He provides cover for both flanks area and also the role of creative player. Our only creative players are Bruno & Pogba.

Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Sancho & James. What an option we got here and not to mention Ighalo will be with us until January.
Well said. The fact Sancho excels in multiple positions is in itself a must have option. I would go all out for him and whatever monies left including sales, buy a quick CD that can play with Maguire. Jones Smalling Rojo should be sold definitely and there are question marks over Bailly and Tuanzebe keeping injury free as well. Lindelof would probably want to leave the summer after if he wasnt a regular starter but that a problem for then.

RiqCantona

RW for sure (probably Sancho). And maybe a solid striker in place of Ighalo? I think we have lacked a finisher for quite some time now and someone like a Harry Kane (not HIM exactly) would be the icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong, I love Martial - but he's just not that prolific a goal scorer yet. We need a solid and consistent 25-30 goals a season striker if we are to compete for the league. Martial and Greenwood would be exceptional covers for the front 3 should they not perform or get injured.

A solid CB would be awesome as well... but my priority would be RW and ST.

Champagne Football

Sancho, Rice and Nathan Collins would be a nice transfer window.

Although we'd need to sell a load of fringe players to pay for all of that.

I actually wouldn't stress too much if we didn't sign anyone, but those 3 players would compliment nicely what we already have

R77

Obviously as mentioned many times already, RW is a definite. The other I keep changing my mind on. If one is a player that could play on either side or as a #10, that leaves it open to looking at DM, or someone to challenge Lindelof maybe. Can Fred grow into covering Matic in a way that would be workable? A few variables that make it a tricky one.

All I'm fairly sure of is that Sancho +1 to replace Lingard, Periera and Mata in the squad would be very nice please.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Right Wing and Holding Midfield remain the priorities to me, I get CB is now looking questionable as well, but we have zero /competition/cover for Matic in that very specific role within this teams dynamic.
We don't have a DM of the requisite quality to play the high press which is the issue. Not one player who could play that role in the high risk approach Ole is trying to implement in defensive transition IMO. And then you have two CBs who have the same issue.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Right wing is obviously the big one, hopefully Sancho.

The second player (if that's all we can afford to buy) is more difficult. Technically a CB or DM is perhaps a bigger need for our actual strongest 11, but Grealish might be too good an opportunity to pass up. Obviously it rarely works out that way, but in theory adding him and Sancho would basically mean our entire attacking line-up is set for 8 years or so.

SAFMUTD

RW first by far, Mason has done a great job there but we dont have any natural right winger on the whole squad, and then followed by a CDM.

Matic is aging and we need a replacement.

DoomSlayer

Pacey CB that is good on the ball, in order to complement Maguire. Left-footed RW/RF that can also play as a CAM - it would bring balance and would provide us with even more unpredictability, whilst also suiting our current squad and style of play in the best possible way.

After that, depending on if we were able to offload some of the deadwood players, I'd look at a promising creative DM or AM, depending on how Ole views the future positions of Fred and McTominay.

mad1max954

RW - though as everyone has said Greenwood is a sensation, but we still need Another first team player to push and compete - there is going to be enough games for both, plus Greenwood is versatile across the front.

LW - someone good enough to come in for rashford, over for injury or if we want to play rash at CF.

perrera, mata, Lingard have Had many, many games between them.. securing two quality players in these roles would make a massive difference to our attacking options.

croadyman

Right Wing and backup AM would be my top two priorities unless there is a worldie of a CB available to partner Maguire in which case I would switch to that.

Yes I appreciate that we badly need a DM to take the workload off Matic but get the impression we aren't in any rush to recruit one at the moment. That might be the right approach as then we can scout options and look who would be the best fit for this team.

Devil may care

We don't have a DM of the requisite quality to play the high press which is the issue. Not one player who could play that role in the high risk approach Ole is trying to implement in defensive transition IMO. And then you have two CBs who have the same issue.
I agree, I mean right now the Caf is hanging off Matic's nuts for a few good games, like all of the bad patches he had when he looked shot after playing a number of games never happened, and I wonder how he'll manage when we play better teams that press, I mean I doubt Pogba or Bruno will be dropped for those games in favour of one of the CM grafters we have, so how Matic and the 2 slow CB's are going to deal with a team that hassles and harries us, I just don't see it.

Jacob

Can't belive Jones, Rojo and Bailly are still with the club.

fergie_god

RW and then a #10/AM. Closely followed by DM. I think depending on the RW that we signed, if he is potentially able to play in the #10 role on occasions like Sancho, going for DM may be better, but whatever happens I'd like to go into the season knowing that Pereira/Lingard is not our backup for Bruno.

Really don't understand why anyone thinks we need a #8 for this season with Mctominay and Fred in the team. As for CB I think we will eventually need to get a better player there this isn't as urgent as others. I feel much more comfortable with Bailly and Tuanzebe playing games than I do with Pereira/Lingard.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree, I mean right now the Caf is hanging off Matic's nuts for a few good games, like all of the bad patches he had when he looked shot after playing a number of games never happened, and I wonder how he'll manage when we play better teams that press, I mean I doubt Pogba or Bruno will be dropped for those games in favour of one of the CM grafters we have, so how Matic and the 2 slow CB's are going to deal with a team that hassles and harries us, I just don't see it.
I agree mate.

I think we'll revert back to counter attacking because against teams who are good at pressing it will expose us massively due to 3 players who would be out of their comfort zones. Defending as a unit would serve us better for that reason.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
RW, CDM and CB. Sancho would give us the double benefit of being able to cover AM as well which would be huge. Matic is very good but we don't want to run him into the ground, he's knocking on a bit and I can't help but feel better teams will target him because he's not that mobile. A left footed CB would do us wonders, although looking for someone athletically gifted, left footed and good on the ball is a rare skill set but we need to get this signing right.

Womp

idiot
Sancho and a DM. Sancho can play any of the front 4 attacking positions, someone like Zakaria can play CM and DM.

jamesjimmybyrondean

RW and then a #10/AM. Closely followed by DM. I think depending on the RW that we signed, if he is potentially able to play in the #10 role on occasions like Sancho, going for DM may be better, but whatever happens I'd like to go into the season knowing that Pereira/Lingard is not our backup for Bruno.

Really don't understand why anyone thinks we need a #8 for this season with Mctominay and Fred in the team. As for CB I think we will eventually need to get a better player there this isn't as urgent as others. I feel much more comfortable with Bailly and Tuanzebe playing games than I do with Pereira/Lingard.
It's because now they only want 8s that's as creative as Pogba :lol:

croadyman

Sancho and a DM. Sancho can play any of the front 4 attacking positions, someone like Zakaria can play CM and DM.
I have stopped including a DM in the list this window because cannot see us buying one

Devil may care

I agree mate.

I think we'll revert back to counter attacking because against teams who are good at pressing it will expose us massively due to 3 players who would be out of their comfort zones. Defending as a unit would serve us better for that reason.
You could be right mate but it's crazy if that is the case given the way we play on the front foot and the fact we have the means to get the players that will allow us to complete this team to play in that fashion against any side.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think RW and CB are the most pressing, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing another CM depending on the departures.

Eg. If we sold Lingard/Andreas, we might need another player there (Grealish?)

Sancho has to be the priority still regardless of the current front three looking good.

CB? I think we would have to permanently sell Smalling & Rojo and also sell Phil Jones to buy one.

kirk buttercup

I would say a RW and another AM to rotate with Bruno and Pogba .

If we were to get Sancho there is plenty of room for Rotation in the front 3 .
If we were to get VdB too that would be the rotation between Pogba Bruno and VdB giving all plenty of game time.

We do need a holding midfielder to replace Matic but there should be enough cover between Fred , McT and hopefully Garner in the future. I understand those options arent ideal but we will need to scout the right replacement.

We definitely need a CB worth pace too but I think this is on the long finger.

So for me Go get Sancho and VdB if at all possible and we look like a very dangerous team

romufc

RW and CDM

Sancho and Declan Rice

We wont spend £60m on a CB, why not go get a Declan Rice who can cover the CB if needed?

Although, we should really just go all out and get Sancho, Grealish and Declan. This would be a beyond perfect summer, so I would be happy with Sancho and one more.

Fosu-Mens

Good arguments for RW, CAM/CM/CDM, CB and LB.

If we go for Sancho, it is unlikely we will spend much more on other positions if not PP is sold, or someone is willing to pay money for some of our undesirables. So, would we be better off as a team going all in for Sancho this summer, or are we better served by improving multiple positions? I would argue for the latter unless we think that Sancho will be impossible to get next summer.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If I were to summarise the reason for our recent success I'd say it's due to having enough goals scorers and creators in the team. I don't want to lose that when one of our players gets injured.

This why Sancho makes sense. Sancho offers both goals and creativity. So if we're to get him we would have depth in our goalscoring and our creativity department. If we add him to our current starting 11 we would have enough creativity in midfield and enough goals in attack even with players out.

In the goals department, if we lose Rashford we play Sancho there. If we lose Martial play Ighalo. If we lose Sancho in RW, play Greenwood. Sancho, Greenwood, Ighalo, Martial, Rashford and even James gives us enough goals even when one or two is out. In the creative department, if we lose Bruno play Sancho there. If we lose Pogba play Fred there. Bruno, Sancho, Pogba, Fred gives us enough creativity even when one or two is out.

So Sancho solves two possible problems. Ideally we should be after another creator to let Sancho focus on attack but not when we have a limited budget and problems with our defensive depth. Sancho alone is versatile to solve our goal scoring and creative depth. With Sancho we can still create and score even when Bruno/Pogba/Rashford/Martial/Greenwood is out but what happens to our defense when one or both of our two key players in DM and CB - Maguire or Matic is out.

If I was to choose between DM or CB I'm leaning towards CB because Mctominay or Fred can at least do a job at DM. But our defense is already shaky even when our best defenders are on the pitch and it would even be more shaky if we were to lose our key defender Maguire.

I believe if get Sancho and a solid CB there would be enough quality and depth in goals, creativity and defensive solidity to aim for the title. As long as everyone performs that is.

Infra-red

RW and a #6. We have no suitable cover for Matic and it is vital that we keep the midfield zone functioning properly next season, as it is where our two best players are based.

In addition, as others have said up thread, the lack of pace amongst our first-choice CB pairing & CDM, will leave us exposed against the better sides, unless we revert to negative containment/counterattacking strategies. If we want to be proactive in these bigger games next season, we need to make changes in this zone. Hopefully, the budget can stretch to a new CB.

Zlatattack

Sancho - Add creativity and goals, he'll have the same effect Pogba and Bruno have on our game.
Partey/Ndidi - Long term successor to Matic hopefully and also someone to rotate with Matic
Fraser (as he's on a free) - will provide rotation options and can actually do something with a football rather than Lingard and Periera.

Idk if we should get another CB. We seem to be collecting them at the moment. Maybe time to give Taunzebe a chance? Could he do a Greenwood?

R'hllor

I would say RW and CDM, CB probably after, even i still have hope in Axel, LB next.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I would say a RW and another AM to rotate with Bruno and Pogba .

If we were to get Sancho there is plenty of room for Rotation in the front 3 .
If we were to get VdB too that would be the rotation between Pogba Bruno and VdB giving all plenty of game time.

We do need a holding midfielder to replace Matic but there should be enough cover between Fred , McT and hopefully Garner in the future. I understand those options arent ideal but we will need to scout the right replacement.

We definitely need a CB worth pace too but I think this is on the long finger.

So for me Go get Sancho and VdB if at all possible and we look like a very dangerous team
You could argue if we get Sancho he's versatile enough to rotate with our front three as well as Bruno. While Fred can rotate with Pogba (our unbeatable run started with a midfield of Bruno Fred and Matic while Pogba was injured). Fred also did well to rotate with Matic against Bournemouth. Ideally maybe we should get another creative midfielder but if we get Sancho our attack would be good and Sancho Fred Mctominay Pogba Bruno and Matic can all rotate in midfield. The real problem would be what happens with an injury to Maguire. So Sancho and a CB for me is what we need

Last edited:

georgipep

RW and CDM

Sancho and Declan Rice

We wont spend £60m on a CB, why not go get a Declan Rice who can cover the CB if needed?

Although, we should really just go all out and get Sancho, Grealish and Declan. This would be a beyond perfect summer, so I would be happy with Sancho and one more.
I agree on all points. But if we don't want to pay the extortionate amount Borussia demands or Sancho doesn't want to come to Manchester (he may be looking for London or Spain, who knows), I'd go for a cheaper RW option like Bailey.

romufc

I agree on all points. But if we don't want to pay the extortionate amount Borussia demands or Sancho doesn't want to come to Manchester (he may be looking for London or Spain, who knows), I'd go for a cheaper RW option like Bailey.
Well then that changes things. If we cannot get Sancho, then we would have to get a cheap winger and get a CB. But he should be top priority this window.

ManRed

RW and CB should be top priority.

RW - Greenwood shouldn't have the pressure of leading us week in week out. He is a young kid and should be given time to grow.

CB - Baily and Tuanzebe are backups to our current pair but both have bad injury record. We need a good CB to make sure we never in a position that Scot or Shaw are playing CB.

Then prioritize backup CAM, CDM and ST

jamesjimmybyrondean

Though we need an upgrade on Lindelof, the problem with suggesting a CB as priority is that there isn't anyone available at a reasonable price this window that can be termed as a 'significant upgrade' on both Lindelof and Bailly.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
RW and a #6. We have no suitable cover for Matic and it is vital that we keep the midfield zone functioning properly next season, as it is where our two best players are based.

In addition, as others have said up thread, the lack of pace amongst our first-choice CB pairing & CDM, will leave us exposed against the better sides, unless we revert to negative containment/counterattacking strategies. If we want to be proactive in these bigger games next season, we need to make changes in this zone. Hopefully, the budget can stretch to a new CB.
Agreed. Number 1 priority should be a matic replacement.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You could argue if we get Sancho he's versatile enough to rotate with our front three as well as Bruno. While Fred can rotate with Pogba (our unbeatable run started with a midfield of Bruno Fred and Matic while Pogba was injured). Fred also did well to rotate with Matic against Bournemouth. Ideally maybe we should get another creative midfielder but if we get Sancho our attack would be good and Sancho Fred Mctominay Pogba Bruno and Matic can all rotate in midfield. The real problem would be what happens with an injury to Maguire. So Sancho and a CB for me is what we need
I agree with this completely, an injury to Magure and we are in big trouble.