What will Carrick / McKenna bring to the first team? | Anything?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Looking forward to any changes actually.

We would need someone who watched our reserve team play more then a couple of times to let us into things, get us in to what Mckenna is all about.

And Carrick, well, we all know what kind of of player he was, hopefully it will reflect on our gameplay.
Although, don't know who he is going to coach, Matić is too old, can't teach old dog new tricks, Pogba is not that kind of player, maybe Andreas? Make him in to our pivot man, control the game tempo...he's got the skills for it.

Actually looking forward to the season ahead.
Pogba said last season already that Carrick was helping him with his game. You don't need to be the exact same type of midfielder to be able to teach someone else.

Carrick has played for years with the likes of Scholes in midfield, I'm sure he can pass on a few tips to Pogba.

NotQuiteManc

Hope something towards the "dynamic" of the team, be it game intelligence (Carrick) and better movement and passing game (Kenna). I don't believe the players that United have is lesser than the likes of teams like Burnley who at times, played better football than United. Mourinho would still go with his trusted pragmatic approach rather than "heavy metal" football because it's a marathon, not a sprint event.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Maybe they bring coffee for Mourinho with them in the morning?

IrishRedDevil

Both coaches named by Shaw in his post match interview, when he was asked about his improvement and what he’s working on etc.

Also I seen Jose walking back to the bench and consulting with McKenna twice. Obviously a manger talks to coaches but just good to see early involvement.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Both coaches named by Shaw in his post match interview, when he was asked about his improvement and what he’s working on etc.

Also I seen Jose walking back to the bench and consulting with McKenna twice. Obviously a manger talks to coaches but just good to see early involvement.
What did Shaw say?

Last edited:

el3mel

As I said their effects will be shown on the training sessions and players movement not the actual tactics or plan on the pitch. So far so good. Pogba also praised Carrick last season after the City match.

Thisistheone

Definitely. One of Fergie's best strengths was mixing ideas with younger coaches. Hopefully Jose is as flexible.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What did Shaw say?
on what he has to do to become a regular leftback under Jose

"Work hard, give 100%. He likes a player with desire, workrate and aggressiveness. He does like me to attack and I think last season that is why he was a bit disappointed with me because he knew I could do that and wasn't doing that when I was playing he said. Of course, defending is very important for him. He likes to keep the team compact and defending is the most important thing for him. I think I'm learning more about that, watched a lot of videos and I get a lot of help from him and the two new coaches we have in Kieran [McKenna] and Carras (Carrick) this season."
More here.

deafepl

I think the off the ball movement is improving, and pressing/pressure also improving. How many time did we hoofed when we were under pressure? Few, not much as the last season.

Ashley R1+O

We actually pressed really well in stretches in this game. Effecting the opposition and capitalizing, I wonder if McKenna/Carrick are asking us to up our tempo way more. We seemed much keener to dart the ball out and early for Fred/Peirera and Rashford and Sanchez. If we can continue to balance that aspect of our game our attacking phase will improve dramatically. Need to get that fast threat on the right, have a feeling Rashford will be bumped there.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They had a part in our tactical switch to deal with their attacks down or right flank.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think the off the ball movement is improving, and pressing/pressure also improving. How many time did we hoofed when we were under pressure? Few, not much as the last season.
Which is why I think we brought Fred in and wanted a ball playing centreback. The signs are there that Jose wants a more composed team, and although we will never be a possession based side, I think we will begin to keep and use the ball better. McKenna and Carrick will be the men he uses to ensure this happens.

RedMilo

McKenna & Carrick are Utd through & through. They know how to play the Utd way. Carrick played for many years under SAF and McKenna and is a highly though of coach who did very well at youth level. One of Jose's better decisions promoting them to first team coach

IrishRedDevil

What did Shaw say?
He didn’t say a lot about him directly, but it’s the fact that he even named him as part of the conversation about improvement/learning. It shows that McKenna is getting stuck in already after only a couple of months. I can’t remeber any players talk much about Rui Faria.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I hope McKenna and Carrick can keep Jose calm and subtly try to influence him attack wise.
The first portion of the match especially was very good from us. Let's hope we can build on sustaining that kind of play and intensity for 90 minutes.

pacifictheme

Hope something towards the "dynamic" of the team, be it game intelligence (Carrick) and better movement and passing game (Kenna). I don't believe the players that United have is lesser than the likes of teams like Burnley who at times, played better football than United. Mourinho would still go with his trusted pragmatic approach rather than "heavy metal" football because it's a marathon, not a sprint event.
What the absolute feck are you on about.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What will they bring?
In pre-season, I saw a lot of back/side passing. I saw very few chances created. I saw roughly 1 goal every 90 minutes.
In our first match of the season, I saw more of the same, though we were awarded a penalty early on, which meant that we scored 2 goals, instead of 1.

I'm not sure what they bring, but I am hoping they bring more than what I have witnessed, in pre-season and the opening game of the season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Clearly some people didn't pay attention to Jose's presser this morning. He has already stated he has a new tactical plan for the team this season, and his frustration in preseason is that he didn't have most of the first team squad at preseason in order to work on the new tactical plan with them.

I'd imagine input from McKenna, and to a lesser extent Carrick, are part of the reason for the new tactical approach.
We shall wait and see.
After about 10 matches, we'll know if McK and Carrick are having any effect on the way we play.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
What will they bring?
In pre-season, I saw a lot of back/side passing. I saw very few chances created. I saw roughly 1 goal every 90 minutes.
In our first match of the season, I saw more of the same, though we were awarded a penalty early on, which meant that we scored 2 goals, instead of 1.

I'm not sure what they bring, but I am hoping they bring more than what I have witnessed, in pre-season and the opening game of the season.
They've only just been introduced to the side. It'll take a while to see any impact, and also we'll still likely only know if it's them having that impact if people come out with quotes saying as much.

Ashley R1+O

Just wanted to bump this thread.

I wonder how much effect they are having on our transitional speed and our general speed of play this season. After the Leicester game I sat up in my chair and thought "oh okay we're actually trying to move the ball quicker here, nice this is much better than last season" and I wonder how much effect they are having. The Brighton game sucked, there wasn't much to draw out of that game but the Spurs game felt much like a formula starting to come together. Faster transitions, more off the ball movement and breaking from static areas.

I think it will be interesting to watch this season and see what effect they have. Rene was quite well known for bedding in the movement era of our post2008 transformation after Queiroz.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Jose had briefly spoken about needing time to bed in new tactics, and I think we are beginning to see that change already. The search for a ball playing centreback back and the signing of a player like Fred is also a demonstration of our willingness to change our style of play. It's a pity we didn't have a preseason with first team players to be about to implement this early on.

Andersons Dietician

Just wanted to bump this thread.

I wonder how much effect they are having on our transitional speed and our general speed of play this season. After the Leicester game I sat up in my chair and thought "oh okay we're actually trying to move the ball quicker here, nice this is much better than last season" and I wonder how much effect they are having. The Brighton game sucked, there wasn't much to draw out of that game but the Spurs game felt much like a formula starting to come together. Faster transitions, more off the ball movement and breaking from static areas.

I think it will be interesting to watch this season and see what effect they have. Rene was quite well known for bedding in the movement era of our post2008 transformation after Queiroz.
Agree about the Leicester game, I too felt like there was more effort to move the ball quicker and have people going at them with intent. Just so often in the game the moves broke down to either a poor pass or poor decision. However this seems like a very basic thing in football that any Tom, Dick or Harry could put across as an instruction, I suppose it could be having people getting in to positions so you can move it faster but again that just seems like telling someone to put more effort in which i’m then wondering why haven’t the other coaches over the previous 2 years done that.

Brighton game is better just to be forgotten about, just a bad day at the office.

Spurs game seemed like a massive tactical shift that to me seemed so far removed from the Jose tactics we know and he even went against that thing he said last year about positional solidity and being on the ball creates more risk. I and most people I’ve spoken to outwith the CAF were actually pretty impressed with what was attempted in the Spurs game and I for one wouldn’t mind seeing it again.

It is hard to say what influence Carrick and McKenna have tho as their role in the club should be to carry out the managers instructions of Ho whe wants to play. I doubt they’d really be responsible for any massive sweeping changes in how we play. They probably have more effect on individual players pointing out things they should do more so than influencing Jose’s overall decision. Although there was one moment when Carrick came down gave Jose some info that looked tactical and Jose nodded and seemed to take on what he was saying which was nice to see.

With most of the things that involve the club we as outsiders looking in will never know the truth of what really goes on and can only interpret what we see or hear.

Ashley R1+O

It is hard to say what influence Carrick and McKenna have tho as their role in the club should be to carry out the managers instructions of Ho whe wants to play. I doubt they’d really be responsible for any massive sweeping changes in how we play. They probably have more effect on individual players pointing out things they should do more so than influencing Jose’s overall decision. Although there was one moment when Carrick came down gave Jose some info that looked tactical and Jose nodded and seemed to take on what he was saying which was nice to see.
It could also just caused be the new players as well. Shaw is actually trying to make things happen on the left and take responsibility on and off the ball. Fred's rawness to want to try and impress inside the lanes between Pogba and Matic/Peirera could be refreshing the rest of the group.

I dunno what Jose's style is or how it has changed, but we definitely look like we actually want to take the ball and try and make things happen with it this season. Last year we looked very comfortable and wanting to be steady and assured with everything we do. It is probably cliche to say it is very un-jose, but I feel he just wants our players to take responsibility and reward their efforts to make things happen and what comes with it is the obvious dearth in our squad of any leadership at all. So you get the two double bangers in both games which rocked us completely.

All in all, as a manager builds I have no idea how you build a leadership core and stabilize this group of players willingness to take responsibility in the trenches. They haven't really shown any of that since Ferguson left. Considering how unbalanced the buys have been, the obvious mentality issues are part and parcel of what the team has to deal with. Must keep Jose up at night just how big of a responsibility shirking bunch of pussies he has working under him. :lol:

MUFC OK

Cluelessness disguised as a new dawn most likely.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

It will be very interesting to see how it works out with Carrick & McKenna. We have to factor in that Faria is no longer with Jose and it has to effect him somewhat both personally and tactically. The new structure will take time to build but the question is, have we got the time? At a club like United, where a lot of our sponsorship deals, such as the Adidas one, is performance based. So if we don't get into the CL for instance, we lose money. So do we have the luxury of time to bed in new tactics?

In an ideal world, we should get both..

Smores

I feel like the amount we've tried to shift the ball cross field must be down to Carrick influence unless that's always been a feature of fred?

kps88

Have to admire the optimism in here :lol:

Making a good start is actually something we've been pretty good at under Jose but this has been our worst start by far in terms of both results and performances. It's impossible to say how much of an influence the new coaching set up has actually had, but this is the most disjointed and unorganized we've looked in a while so the signs aren't exactly encouraging.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
They're two very inexperienced coaches, they won't make much difference on their own. I respect Jose for giving them a chance at this level, but it's obvious he's going to have to shoulder most of the coaching and tactical burden while bedding them in.

Listar

If last two games is anything to go by, we may have a more enjoyable season than last. Could this be the effect of this duo?

pascell

If last two games is anything to go by, we may have a more enjoyable season than last. Could this be the effect of this duo?
I think the way we've set up in attack so far is due to McKenna, it's a great watch as we're recycling possession much quicker and getting it forward faster which is probably being coached by Carrick.