What will "Give the new manager time" mean to the United board and the fans?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No manager is able to make United top3 with the existing squad. People say we have a talented squad, but that is 100% bullshit.
Is it bullshit that we finished 2nd last season with a worse squad? If Ole can do it there's no reason ETH can't

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Is it bullshit that we finished 2nd last season with a worse squad? If Ole can do it there's no reason ETH can't
Mourinho did it with an even worse squad than that and even bagged some silverware too.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
I'm really happy with the incoming managerial appointment but not really sure as to what expectations to set. I've seen the impact Tuchel and Conte has had at Chelsea and Spurs respectively and those first 15 games under Solskjaer were probably my most memorable post Fergie, so I'm not necessarily down for a 1 or 2 year rebuild period. Do we really need as big a clear out as is being talked about or do our players really just need to fix up?

How long does a manager really need to impose his style on a team? I look at Crystal Palace as another example. Are people going to be happy with 2 or 3 years of Thursday night football for the sake of the bigger picture?

Reports suggest that Ten Hag wanted a 3/4-year deal to allow time to realise his vision. Why?? How did Tuchel turn things around completely at Chelsea in 3 months? And how are Spurs now favourites for that 4th spot?

What wil the minimum expectations be from the board and fans next season?
To get a style of play and group of players the fans can say their proud of. To show commitment to the club and make strides forward. I couldn’t care less if we were 6th next year and you could see something taking shape. That is all we want as fans a real direction and purpose shown by this club…. If that happens only good things can follow. But it’ll be a few years I’d say, perhaps players might shape up and start performing but I honestly think this appointment is exciting and comes at exactly the right time for 10 Haag, I think it’s a good think getting Jesse mata pogba Jones perrera Cavani off our payroll I think it opens up a multitude of possibilities, few signings get rid of the deadwood get a few youth players in the squad too and it’ll turn around.

Next year position is irrelevant just improvement and a direction we can see

diarm

I don't think the fans will be the problem. By and large, most fans seemed to be very keen on Ten Hag from the off.

Where we will see the knives come out, will be among the former player crew on tv who wanted Poch and will be only dying for the chance to say I told you so.

DevilRed

Chelsea have this weird invulnerability to rebuilds. It's very odd. They've had a self governing dressing room for most of their recent history so the constant managerial changes haven't really affected them.

It's not the case with our team and it needs serious work in terms of personnel and attitude. I would give ETH 3 years and judge him then. Hopefully of course we would see progress sooner but there's a lot to be sorted.
They've bought better midfielders than us. Probably defenders too if you are being brutally honest.

We somehow still have the same midfield from the fecking mourinho era.

If there is a clear discernable plan to play open attacking aggressive football from day 1 I will be happy. I fully expect United to be in the Europa conference league next season, so lets play the kids and win it. With regards to the the top 4 it will be a struggle for next season but if we are implementing a plan, a playing style and a discernable transfer strategy, both in and out I will be happy. Second season top 4 is a must after three transfer windows.
2022-23 Europa Conference League, win it. League position 3rd to 6th. Good cup runs domestically
2023-24 Europa league ( probably ), win it. League position 2nd-4th. Good cup runs domestically
2024-25 Champions league knockout stages. League position 1st - 3rd, still in contention in April. Win a domestic cup.

With City, Newcastle and probably Chelsea continuing to spend massively the league will be highly competitive, but we spend massively also so lets get some return on our money and a few trophies along the way.

wolvored

With it being his first season and a wc in the middle and a high number of incoming and outgoing players, as long as by the end of the season we actually look like playing the way he wants, then he deserves the second season as long as were no lower than 7th.
Second season consolidate bring in better players some more leave and top 4 should be the aim.
This would allow for a third and as long as he finishes top 4 minimum a fourth. That is the season i think he will need a title challenge, imo.

Polar

Ole did a great job last season. The atmosphere and team spirit was superb and United played on it’s strengths (world class counterattack), but our possession play against weaker teams was and still is our weakness. We definitely need midfield quality to solve that problem.

Ole got much of the potential out of the team last season.At the same time people argue Liverpool and Chelsea underperformed and struggled with injuries or other things and say it was a special season.

To perform better United definitely need reinforcement and better team balance, and that’s first of all the responsibility of the sport director (or what ever United call it) to fill the gaps, not the manager. The manager is off course responsible when it comes to pinpoint and priorities gaps.

We don’t know if our problem has been:
  1. our managers haven’t been able to pinpoint critical gaps or give them right priority.
  2. owner/board/sport director haven’t been able to sort the managers need and fill critical gaps.

yipthatman

I'd expect to see progress by the end of the first season At the end of the second, a trophy. At the end of the 3rd back up near the top or at the top. Otherwise the gamble was a failure.

Lentwood

I think to half of us, it means we need to bring in two or three new faces, clear a few out and give ETH at least a full season before we can even start to begin passing any kind of judgement.

I think to the other half, it means they'll settle for 23 players signed, 23 players sold and just about tolerate draws away at the Etihad and Anfield....but woe betide if we aren't top of the league with a "Barca style of play" at Christmas

OmarUnited4ever

Pep needed one transitional year at City to clear the squad of the deadwood and win the league in his 2nd season. Klopp needed 2 full seasons to challenge for the league and even in his 2nd year he reached CL final. Only at Man United will people convince you that you need 5 years to be just close to challenge for the big trophies.

With 2 proper summer markets, right players bought and shit players sold this summer and the next one, Man United should fully expect to be close to the top by Ten Hag 2nd season here.

Any other thing and yes, questions will need to be asked, like what happened with the previous managers as well.

If by the end of his 2nd season we are still a mere top 4 team, then it means our recruitment as been shit as usual and nothing has changed.
I totally agree, one full season as a free hit, which includes 2 transfer windows to address gabs, and then before 2nd season starts, there is a summer window to fine tune the squad. By then, the team should at minimum be able to put points on the board consistently and stay close to the top or attempt a title challenge, inconsistencies in the 2nd season is a sign of failure for me

Greck

Chelsea have this weird invulnerability to rebuilds. It's very odd. They've had a self governing dressing room for most of their recent history so the constant managerial changes haven't really affected them.

It's not the case with our team and it needs serious work in terms of personnel and attitude. I would give ETH 3 years and judge him then. Hopefully of course we would see progress sooner but there's a lot to be sorted.
They're like Madrid where they're immune to rock bottom. Can't wait till they get a new owner and they're very own Woodward then fall back to earth with the rest of us.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I think to half of us, it means we need to bring in two or three new faces, clear a few out and give ETH at least a full season before we can even start to begin passing any kind of judgement.

I think to the other half, it means they'll settle for 23 players signed, 23 players sold and just about tolerate draws away at the Etihad and Anfield....but woe betide if we aren't top of the league with a "Barca style of play" at Christmas
Although quite extreme, I think in all honesty it should be somewhere in between. As I've said before, I'm not really down with the 2 year rebuild thing when you look at the impact many managers have had in relatively short spaces of time. It should be easier for a club like United to get overnight results. I won't be calling for Ten Hag's head any time soon but all I'm saying is I'm not fixed on this protracted period for progress either.

Acquire Me

Why wasn't Solskjaer given those same conditions?
I think Ole got just enough time. In the end it did not work out. We move on and he know very well himself that results matters. They were horrible and I don’t think anyone could see any good plan going forward.

A true legend as a player, but as manager, not so much. He did his very best at least.