What would your team be?

OverratedOpinion

If you walked in as the new Manchester United manager with the squad exactly as it is right now what would your team be for the first game of next season?

Assuming you receive the same amount of financial backing as Jose is expected to receive this summer.

De Gea

Valencia
Bailly
Umtiti
Tierney

Matic
Pogba
Eriksen

Zaha
Lukaku
Martial

Subs: Pereira, Smalling, Herrera, Lingard, Rashford, Sanchez, Vardy

Reserves: Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Young, Blind, Pereira, Mctominay

Alexis Sanchez is a fantastic player, still to this day. That said I think there is something special about Martial, his technique and the way he glides with the ball is staggering at times. One of my first priorities would be to give him confidence and game time. As strange as it sounds I would sacrifice Alexis for balance and my preference to Martial.

I would not be opposed to Shaw getting a chance but Tierney seems a really balanced player to me. I like Umtiti and I think Bailly will benefit from having gotten through his second season.

Eriksen would be hugely expensive but I think he is more than capable of doing a job that is similar to De Bruyne for City.

Zaha is a player I would love us to sign, he screams United to me. He would offer balance on that right hand side and he is so entertaining to watch.

This team puts a lot of responsibility on Matic's shoulders but he did have a good first season. I think the ideal player for that position would be Kante but that would be another 150 million. I don't know anything about Fred but people are saying he is similar to Fernandinho, if that is the case he might be ideal.

MaNeves

---------------------------- DDG ----------------------------
Fabinho------Alderweireld------Evans--------------Sandro
---------------------------- Matic ---------------------------
--------------Fred-----------------------Pogba--------------
---------------------------- Savic ---------------------------
----------------Lukaku----------------Sanchez-------------

Last edited:

walkinhop

-------------------------------------------DeGea

Kimmich ----------------------------Bailly-------Smalling -----------Alex Sandro
( go all out on him, and i mean all out)

-------------------------------------------Matic
----------------------------Pogba-----------------------Chong

Lukaku---------------Martial----------------------Rashford

I prefer Lukaku on the right. Give the front 3 a couple of seasons constant football to gel together and you will see them ripping teams apart. Chong should be starting to get experience in the first team and who better to support him than Pogba and Matic. The fullbacks are going to open up so much more of the pitch and give us opportunities, which otherwise wouldn't exist.

It's a team that will win the league and challenge for the CL in 2 years if you replace Smalling

BootsyCollins

---------------DDG/--------------
Fabinho--Jones--Victor--Sandro
--------------Matic--------------
--------Fred--------Pogba------
-------------Alexis--------------
------Lukaku------Martial-------

potential subs : Romero, Bailly, Young, Herrera, Rashford, Chong, TFM, Lindgard, Smalling, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Periera, Gomes, Valencia, Periera, Mitchell.

So out with : Fellaini, Blind, Shaw
In : Fabinho, Fred, Sandro

XxEpicUnitedxX

De Gea

Fabinho-Baily-alderweireld-sessegon

Fred------Matic------Pogba

Bale----Lukaku----Sanchez

Bwuk

De Gea
Meunier - Bailly - Alderweireld - Tierney
Pogba - Matic
Mahrez - Bale - Martial
Lukaku​

OverratedOpinion

De Gea
Meunier - Bailly - Alderweireld - Tierney
Pogba - Matic
Mahrez - Bale - Martial
Lukaku​
I like this team a lot, I doubt we will spend near the amount it would take to assemble though. I would possibly remove Bale for someone who will be A. cheaper and B. would drop back to help out Pogba and Matic.

_John_Doe_

De Gea Romero Pereira

Valencia TFM
Bailly Smalling Taunzebe
Aldeweireld Rojo Lindelof
Sandro Young

Matic Herrera McTominay
Pogba Fred Pereira

Bale Lingard
Sanchez Martial
Lukaku Rashford

In:

Aldeweireld = 45 million
Sandro = 55 million
Fred = 40 million
Bale = 80 million (Willian as the cheaper alternative)

Total = 220 million

Out:

Johnstone = 3 million
CBJ = 2 million
Darmian = 15 million
Jones = 15 million
Shaw = Loan
Blind = 20 million
Fellaini = Free
Mata = 20 million

Total = 75 million

4-2-3-1 - Against the bottom 14

------------------De Gea-(C)-----------------
Young-----Bailly-----Aldeweireld-----Sandro
--------------Pogba--Matic-------------------
Bale------------Sanchez--------------Martial
------------------Lukaku----------------------

Romero
Valencia
Smalling
Fred
Lingard
Martial
Rashford

4-3-3 - Against the top 6

------------------De Gea-(C)----------------
Young------Bailly------ Aldeweireld---Sandro
-------------------Matic------------------------
-------------Fred------Pogba------------------
Bale-----------------------------------Sanchez
-----------------Lukaku------------------------

Romero
Valencia
Smalling
Herrera
Lingard
Martial
Rashford

3-4-1-2 - Jose's "Bus"

------------------De Gea-(C)----------------
--------Bailly----Aldeweireld----Rojo-------
-Young-------Pogba-----Matic-------Sandro
---------------------Bale---------------------
-------------Lukaku----Sanchez-------------

Romero
Valencia
Smalling
Fred
Lingard
Martial
Rashford

Fer

Fabinho------Alderweireld------Evans--------------Sandro
---------------------------- Matic ---------------------------
--------------Fred-----------------------Pogba--------------
---------------------------- Savic ---------------------------
----------------Lukaku----------------Sanchez-------------
I like the 4312 formation. But I prefer Bailly to Evans and another RB instead of Fabinho... maybe Florenzi or Odriozola.
My dream would be a player like Eriksen or even Bale behind Lukaku and Sanchez.

Fer

I like this team a lot, I doubt we will spend near the amount it would take to assemble though. I would possibly remove Bale for someone who will be A. cheaper and B. would drop back to help out Pogba and Matic.
Someone like Eriksen, Draxler, James, Fekir or even Dybala/Griezmann could play behind Lukaku and Sanchez.

TehRed

--------------De Gea
Sidibe-- Bailly---- Alderweireld Sandro
-----Fred---- Matic---- Pogba
Bale ---------Lukaku------- Sanchez

goober88

DDG
Valencia Alderweireld Bailly Rose
Weigl
Fred
Pogba
Lingard Lukaku Sanchez​

Romero
Tuanzebe Lindelof Smalling Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pereira
Kluivert Rashford Martial
Others: Pereira, Mata

Out: Fellaini, Young, Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Blind
In: Weigl, Fred, Alderweireld, Rose, Kluivert

Choices:
  • Weigl because I liked the guy last season and feel as if everyone has forgotten him. Also, he might not cost so much.
  • Alderweireld because we need a winning squad and long-term cannot be important when we haven't won the PL for so long. Also think Spurs have backed themselves into a corner by dropping him. Pochettino clearly does not want the player in his squad.
  • Rose for the homegrown quota and because Pochettino doesn't want him either. I think he's more aggressive than Sandro and would be more likely to fit in due to PL experience.
  • Fred because he's coming.
  • Kluivert because he's young, exciting, would probably hug the touchline and because he wouldn't cost so much. He has the determination and the professionalism to succeed because of who his father is, I feel, and could end up something brilliant.
  • Lingard because we don't have that much to spend and I think we should leave that slot open for a huge signing next season (but we can review players' performances to take the final decision). Also, perhaps Martial could play here and do well.
  • Bale/SMS are not here because they will cost too much. I feel we need to improve many areas of the squad and are best off buying a good amount of £40-50m players and not spending so much on just one.

Deechii

Kimmich---Bailly---Alderweireld---Sandro--
---------------------------- Matic --------------------------
-----------------Fred-----------------Pogba-------------
-------Bale------------Lukaku--------Sanchez------

Subs: Romero, Shaw, Lindelof, Herrera, Weigl, Rashford, Martial

Outs : Fellaini, Young, Rojo, Darmian, Blind, Smalling,

Fer

Kimmich---Bailly---Alderweireld---Sandro--
---------------------------- Matic --------------------------
-----------------Fred-----------------Pogba-------------
-------Bale------------Lukaku--------Sanchez------

Subs: Romero, Shaw, Lindelof, Herrera, Weigl, Rashford, Martial

Outs : Fellaini, Young, Rojo, Darmian, Blind, Smalling,
I like your team. Unfortunately, Kimmich is not realistic. Also, Madrid is going to ask more than 120m+ for Bale.

Weigl is a good player, but I can see him going to PSG.

Andersons Dietician

DDG
Bailly Smalling Lindelof
Matic
Sidbie Thiago Pogba Sandro

Lukaku Martial
I’d happily throw in Shaw, Fosu, Sanchez, Rashford, Herrera in and around that shape. I’d probably want to replace Matic with someone more energetic. Thiago isn’t a given in there either he was just the only person decent I could think of that maybe there is a slight chance of getting.

Frank Grimes

Having changed my mind about Bale I would love to see something like:

-------------------------DDG------------------------
Valencia/RB---Bailly---CD--------Sandro
-------------Fred------Matic------Pogba------
Bale----------------Lukaku--------Sanchez--

That would be a formidable outfit. I would prefer Alderweireld as new CB but not convinced we will sign him. Obviously Sandro and Bale are dream signings and we could end up withe Rose and Willian as easy.

LB, CB, RW are our main prioroties (assuming we have signed Fred I can't see another midfielder unless Pogba leaves.) We could really do with a RB too but I'm not convinced we will sign 5 new players this summer.

Bale would be a really good signing and make us a lot less predictable imo. Obviously he would be a massive upgrade on what we have. He would be my muppet signing, fingers crossed.

If you offered United fans that lineup 2 years ago they would have snapped your hand off but it is semi realistic now. Time to be a bit more positive about where we are going.

Frank Grimes

DDG
Bailly Smalling Lindelof
Matic
Sidbie Thiago Pogba Sandro

Lukaku Martial
I’d happily throw in Shaw, Fosu, Sanchez, Rashford, Herrera in and around that shape. I’d probably want to replace Matic with someone more energetic. Thiago isn’t a given in there either he was just the only person decent I could think of that maybe there is a slight chance of getting.
Where is Sanchez and Fred?

Andersons Dietician

Where is Sanchez and Fred?
Sanchez was covered in the description and Fred hasn’t been signed yet so I’d rather buy someone like Thiago, Erickson so on if I’m the manager which was the point.

I also think Martial and Lukaku compliment each other very well and I like what they did together the few times we saw them as a two upfront. Felt like they caused problems and opened up space for midfield. If I felt like it i’d Take one of the midfield 3 out sit Sanchez inbehind Martial and Lukaku.

MUFC OK

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Alderweireld Alex Sandro
Fred
SMS Pogba
Bale Lukaku Sanchez​

If Bale is out of reach, persist with Martial and Sanchez on wings and sign Meunier.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
---------------De Gea---------------
Sidibe--Bailly--Alderweireld--Sandro
----------------Matic---------------
-------Herrera-------Pogba-------
Bale----------Lukaku----------Sanchez

Frank Grimes

Sanchez was covered in the description and Fred hasn’t been signed yet so I’d rather buy someone like Thiago, Erickson so on if I’m the manager which was the point.

I also think Martial and Lukaku compliment each other very well and I like what they did together the few times we saw them as a two upfront. Felt like they caused problems and opened up space for midfield. If I felt like it i’d Take one of the midfield 3 out sit Sanchez inbehind Martial and Lukaku.
Love both Eriksen and Thiago, would be elated to sign either, who wouldn't.

Sanchez is in everyone's lineups for a reason. He will start for Manchester Utd next season, he is basically still a new signing. Seems nonsensical to bench a player of such ability, irks me that some have written him off so soon into his time here.

Andersons Dietician

Love both Eriksen and Thiago, would be elated to sign either, who wouldn't.

Sanchez is in everyone's lineups for a reason. He will start for Manchester Utd next season, he is basically still a new signing. Seems nonsensical to bench a player of such ability, irks me that some have written him off so soon into his time here.
I haven’t written Sanchez off. I think he is a decent player. Just as of yet hasn’t shown it here and if I had him in the line up it’s either behind a front 2 or I make that a front 3 and stick him out on the right. I just like the balance of the team I put forward.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
------------De God--------------
Valencia--Bailly--Alderweireld---Sandro
-----------Fred/Matic--------------
----------Kroos--Pogba-----------
-----Bale--Lukaku--Sanchez----

suhaylah

-----------------------De Gea-----------------
Meunier----Bailly----Alderweireld----Sandro
----------------------Jorginho---------------------------
-----------Fred--------------------Pogba---------------
-------------------------Bale-------------------------------
-------------Lukaku----------Sanchez

Frank Grimes

I haven’t written Sanchez off. I think he is a decent player. Just as of yet hasn’t shown it here and if I had him in the line up it’s either behind a front 2 or I make that a front 3 and stick him out on the right. I just like the balance of the team I put forward.
Just seems pointless picking a team without a player who will definitely be in the team next season. Surely the point of the thread is to pick signings who will compliment our current first teamers. Sanchez can play up top too and is a much more realistic starter than Martial, who is a sub mostly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Limiting our signings to 4 & keeping it (relatively) realistic

DDG

Meunier
Smalling
Umtiti
Sandro

Kroos
Matic
Pogba

Alexis
Lukaku
Martial

Andersons Dietician

Just seems pointless picking a team without a player who will definitely be in the team next season. Surely the point of the thread is to pick signings who will compliment our current first teamers. Sanchez can play up top too and is a much more realistic starter than Martial, who is a sub mostly.
Yeah but I guess that depends on if you agree with the current situation in the team. Like I said in my opinion Martial and Lukaku work better as a team and that benefits the team overall with what they do on the pitch.

If I was to try and fit Sanchez in that closes off the space I would want Thiago and Pogba to be operating in which then also affects what I want my WB’s to be doing which then makes the whole thing more defensive which isn’t something I want, so I opted for what I think is the best combination of players and attributes to get the best overall performance out of the team and for me currently that doesn’t include Sanchez so I’m not going to put a name in a team just based on that, a name.

I do get your point but I just don’t agree with even though probably true he will/should be starting almost every game.

Inter Yer Nan

Keeping it realistic (i.e - Alexis will be playing on the left, we won't be signing Bale, Fred looks a done deal etc;)

Dave

Muenier or Sidibe (whoever's cheapest I've not seen a great deal of either so haven't a scooby who's better tbh)
Alderweireld
Bailly
Sandro

Fred
Matic
Pogba

Willian
Sanchez
Lukaku

That's FIVE new starters which seems a lot but only one in the attacking positions, one in midfield, one at center-back with two new full-backs and our full-backs are our weakest area by far so I'd not be too worried about them all gelling in. I'd imagine RB will be 35-40m, Sandro around 45-50, Fred around 40m, Alderweireld around 50-55m and Willian probably 50-60 so probably 240m outlay and with the sales of Martial (I think it's likely), Blind, Darmian we will be bring in around 80m.

A lack of Brits in that team does make me a bit sad though. Really wish Shaw would have kicked on and Rashford had pinned himself down as a regular starter, Jones had a better injury record but that's not happened.

Last edited:

marktan

De Gea

New RB - Bailly - Rojo - Sandro

Fred - Mat - Pog

Marhez - Luke - Willian

Don't think Sanchez will be good enough for us unfortunately, he can't really dribble the way a Mane or Sane/Sterling can.

UpWithRivers

-----------------------De Gea-----------------
Valencia----Bailly----Alderweireld----Sandro
----------------------Fred---------------------------
-----------Erikson-----------Pogba---------------
-Griezmann----------Kane---------Sanchez

Sandro - 50m
Alderweireld - 40m
Fred - 40m
Erikson - 100m
Griezmann - 80 m
Kane - 150m
Total - 420 million!!!!!!

Out
Lukaku - 80
Lindgard - 50
Jones - 50
Shaw - 30
Darmian/Blind etc - 30m
Total: 230

Total spend - 190 - realistically up to 250 depending on sales and higher than estimated costs.

Oldyella

----------------De Gea-----------------
Young----Bailly----Smalling---Shaw
-----------------Matic----------
-----------Fred---------Pogba---
---------------Sanchez----------------
---------Lukaku------Martial

Just using players we have (and Fred, who appears to be on the way)

Ideally a pair of Full backs would drop in in front of the two in my team, and I am not convinced Sanchez is going to get any better tbh, but he/Jose deserve the chance to make it work, the money we are spending on him.