What's happened to De Gea?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can think of the late Crystal Palace winner too at the start of the season for another really poor piece of keeping from him that wouldn't necessarily go down as an "error".

It's just really really shit timing. We finally look like we're going in the right direction, we have momentum and the team is exciting. And it feels like Dave is in massive decline and is now a huge problem.

So annoying.
It feels like in general we’re not conceding many goals at the moment, but when we do it’s down to individual errors. I can’t really remember the last goal we conceded that was just really good play by the opposition, which is frustrating.
Liverpool has a time like this, they banged in the goals but got a bit leaky at the back, so they brought in a world class goalkeeper and centre back. Can’t help but feel like maybe over time we’ll end up needing to do the same thing.

Rish Sawhney

They also hit the post from an almost exact position at the start of the second half, perhaps he always leaves a gap at his near post. Looked like he wasn't happy with himself after the first goal, Schmeichel would have been berating all the defence for that, even if it was his own fault. I do think he has lost a little confidence though.
I think he always covers it with his feet so if you lift it around his torso it’s on his reflexes. That’s probably why he was a little upset with himself. But he’s always been a more reserved keeper. He’s said he doesn’t like to shout at his defenders.

izec

It feels like in general we’re not conceding many goals at the moment, but when we do it’s down to individual errors. I can’t really remember the last goal we conceded that was just really good play by the opposition, which is frustrating.
Liverpool has a time like this, they banged in the goals but got a bit leaky at the back, so they brought in a world class goalkeeper and centre back. Can’t help but feel like maybe over time we’ll end up needing to do the same thing.
Yep. GK, CB and DM will be key positions in the coming 1-2 years for us (as well as RW). And some better squad/backups/competition. But in general in the first eleven, i see a dark cloud in the defensive central department. It is just not good and stable enough.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
We got rid of his personal coach didn't we.

Did this slide in form coincide with that?

arthurka

Think it's the FA Cup semi final in 2016.

He's always been crap at penalties, even when he was brilliant in general he never saved pens.
He looks like he never gambles and is always static on the line until the ball is in the back of the net. Man with his reflexes should be a bit well better.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well, I hope you're right about it being down to focus and receoverable.
His concentration is nothing like as good as it used to be.
Neither is his distribution.

Ole has a decision to make. If he was an outfield player, he would have been dropped.

Tel074

I have a feeling the people wanting Henderson to be No1 next season would be the same ones getting on his back as he struggles to settle, which would be inevitable I think. Changing keepers is a huge deal.

The same people telling us DeGea is done will be the same people telling us Henderson was never good enough to replace DeGea .

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Have to say he's struggling now, how he compares to other keepers aside, he's well below his top level.

That being said, it's down to errors, not a loss of innate ability, there's hope he will rebound. Honestly I worry about any player making as much as he is, in a foreign country, it has to be hard to stay motivated, focused, when money wise you're king of the world.

When we signed him it seemed very important, everyone seems to feel Pogba always has one for out the door, if De Gea had left then it would have seemed very bad. I was happy at the time though considering the amount of money out took to keep him I had to wonder how motivated he was otherwise. Sounded like if it wasn't for money he'd rather be elsewhere.

We're certainly strong enough now to let him go if we can find a good offer, and Henderson is as good as the Caf thinks he is.

MiracleInMadrid

Hard to tell any specific reason, but I get the impression that he sometimes trust his own reflexes a bit too much.
For the first goal today it seemed like he was trying to use his body to block a potential pass across the goal to another Bournemouth-player, while using his one leg and arms to block the goal. As if he relied on his reflexes to save a potential shot directly at the goal, which ended up going in anyway.

This sort of goalkeeping technique is common in handball, where goalkeepers often try to lure opponents to think that a spot in the goal is open. Of course this technique requires you to be very reliant to then save the shot if the opponent takes the bait.

I'm not sure, but clearly it is a mentallity thing with him. Maybe a lack of motivation and spark after several years of bad results, switching managers and a failed move back to Spain.

Reactions: van der star

Infra-red

What's happened is exactly what everyone said would happen. His game is based on lightening-fast reflexes rather than good all-round play (distribution, 1v1s, commanding the box, penalties, coming for crosses etc) - as age dulls his reflexes, he is likely to suffer a Casillas-like precipitous decline, rather than follow the career trajectory of someone like Van Der Sar. He'll be utterly useless by his mid 30s.

RedNed77

He’s always had a mistake in him, I don’t think that’s changed too much. For me, whereas the rest of the team have come on in leaps and bounds, De Gea hasn’t. His distribution is fecking awful and it always has been, his command of the box isn’t much better. I think when you watch him now this stains your overall impression of him, and it’s magnified when everybody else has moved up a gear.

Moving forward we probably need to decide whether we need a supreme shot stopper or a keeper who gives us more control. Until we address our issues at centre back I think we still need him.

mancan92

Or could be a disaster. I'm.happy with DeGea the next season or 2
Well we have proof that de gea has been bad for 18 months why is it more likely he will regain form rather than a young keeper on the rise proving to be more beneficial for the team?

Sir Alex got rid of players playing much better than de gea and replaced them with younger players and worked out well for him.

RashyForPM

De Gea cannot play for a big club anymore, let alone one like us who wants to challenge for the title. As many people have said in the past, he relies on his reflexes, which have been diminishing since the 2018 World Cup. Before that, he was the best in the world as despite his poor distribution, he saved many shots which seemed destined for goal with relative ease. However, with his current mediocre shot-stopping and usual poor distribution, he is basically a Pickford or Ramsdale level keeper.

To be honest, I think he has to go. A mistake or getting done at his near post almost every fortnight while on £350,000k per week is just not acceptable at United. But, I do truly thank him for giving his best years to the club when we were floundering while he could have pushed to play for Real Madrid and win 4 CLs. He will go down as a legend and the fourth best keeper in United’s history (yes, that is a compliment and an honour, its United), behind CL winners Schmeichel, VDS and Stepney.

Tel074

Well we have proof that de gea has been bad for 18 months why is it more likely he will regain form rather than a young keeper on the rise proving to be more beneficial for the team?

Sir Alex got rid of players playing much better than de gea and replaced them with younger players and worked out well for him.

You don't have proof he's been bad for 18 months hahaha . He's made mistakes in certain games but he has also kept us in games .

Tel074

De Gea cannot play for a big club anymore, let alone one like us who wants to challenge for the title. As many people have said in the past, he relies on his reflexes, which have been diminishing since the 2018 World Cup. Before that, he was the best in the world as despite his poor distribution, he saved many shots which seemed destined for goal with relative ease. However, with his current mediocre shot-stopping and usual poor distribution, he is basically a Pickford or Ramsdale level keeper.

To be honest, I think he has to go. A mistake or getting done at his near post almost every fortnight while on £350,000k per week is just not acceptable at United. But, I do truly thank him for giving his best years to the club when we were floundering while he could have pushed to play for Real Madrid and win 4 CLs. He will go down as a legend and the fourth best keeper in United’s history (yes, that is a compliment and an honour, its United), behind CL winners Schmeichel, VDS and Stepney.

What an absolute load of crap . The experts on here are hilarious. DeGea may not be the best keeper in the world atm but he certainly is way better than the Keepers you just mentioned

izec

got a better team in front of him so he doesn't get as much practice ???
But then we could also have Phil Jones in goal.

We had 3 shots on target, and he conceded with the first. Made an easy save and then the pen. If you take away the pen, it was as comfortable as he could have hoped for. You won't get less to do then today on average in the PL if we face a bottom half side. He still looked uncomfortable all game long.

What is funny is when we were more shit defensively, he was good and people praised him for saving us. Now he can't save 2 shots in a game and people want complete protection. He is not a toddler. He gets paid top money to save our asses, but is doing the complete opposite. Now we need to build a wall for someone known for being one. The easy solution is to replace the weakness, which he is a massive part of.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
He was a great shot stopper with amazing reflexes And these made up for the flaws in his game. But now these have waned somewhat It exposes leaves the flaws in his keeping mainly his lack of command in his box and at corners. His distribution has also suffered. Hopefully it’s just a blip but I wonder if he got too comfortable after the huge contact.

The Oracle

He should not be getting beat at his near post. Simple as that.

Looking at his stats, he hasn't saved a penalty in the league for nearly 6 years.
That's right, almost 6 years, let that sink in - it is absolutely abysmal.

He is past his best, and will not get any better - he will always have a mistake in him... and based on that alone, he needs to be phased out over the next season or two.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I reckon his missus is still hassling him to go back to Madrid. She famously described Manchester as looking like the back of a fridge. You'd want to keep her happy tbh

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No, he doesn't.

Schmeichel wasn't flawless - at all. He was - in fact - prone to serious feck-ups at times.

VDS wasn't flawless either - he was an old hand in what I would call his prime (which was his United years), and thus lacking in athleticism and sheer shot stopping ability.

But DDG needs to add something to his game. That's what we've been saying for several years now. And he hasn't done that. He's nearly thirty now.

Compared to Schmeichel and VDS (our two best keepers ever, most would agree), DDG simply is far less complete - he has far less strings to his bow.

And he needs to add those strings now. If he can't do that, he looks very much like a fantastic shot stopper who - just - lost his edge as he got older, and thus became a bit pointless. Not least as the highest paid member of the squad.
Good post

E-mal

I reckon his missus is still hassling him to go back to Madrid. She famously described Manchester as looking like the back of a fridge. You'd want to keep her happy tbh

I wouldnt stand in her way, I rsckon the fax machine will work this time. That contract we gave him appears to be a big mistake now.

Keefy18

You don't have proof he's been bad for 18 months hahaha . He's made mistakes in certain games but he has also kept us in games .
Yeah we do

This is the Rooney argument all over again.

Keefy18

Any stats on his brilliant performances ?

What argument is that ? That he's our record goalscorer?
Are you purposefully being idiotic?

That's his stats from the day he started to just before today's game.

As you can see there is a clear decline in ability / performance.

You must be drunk or on something I can only assume.

Tel074

Are you purposefully being idiotic?

That's his stats from the day he started to just before today's game.

As you can see there is a clear decline in ability / performance.

You must be drunk or on something I can only assume.

You can be as disrespectful as you want . I remember some of the saves he has made to keep us in games he has made what 13 mistakes leading to goals in almost 10 season yet he's now shite .
Luckily No1 cares what anyone says on here it's just fans having an opinion . I attend games I know how good DeGea has been and still is . I'd rather have him in goal than end up with another Bathez or Carroll

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Has not been the same since the world cup. It's breaking my heart.

Keefy18

You can be as disrespectful as you want . I remember some of the saves he has made to keep us in games he has made what 13 mistakes leading to goals in almost 10 season yet he's now shite .
Luckily No1 cares what anyone says on here it's just fans having an opinion . I attend games I know how good DeGea has been and still is . I'd rather have him in goal than end up with another Bathez or Carroll
I'm not being disrespectful, your comment was posted in a poor fashion with something copied twice and with ridiculous sentiments. So I asked a genuine question?

Feel free to review the numbers, they'll back up the seasons where he was very good (3-4 years previous) and more recently where he has been awful (the last 2 years). Like I said above, its the Rooney argument all over again.

Folks opting for sentimentality over logic. Protecting an unprofessional, under performing and overpaid Rooney based on what he done yesteryear. Now we've De Gea being protected for 2 years of under performance and whilst being overpaid.

Football is cynical and ruthless and if you opt for sentimentality you will not be successful. What does it matter what he done 3-4 years back if the last 2 he haven't been good enough?

Simply put, would Ferguson stomach this level of performance from him for 2 full seasons? He got rid of players in better form than what De Gea is showing.

Reality is though we've a superb, young and eager keeper chomping at the bit to take that #1 jersey, it isn't worth losing him over.

Tel074

I'm not being disrespectful, your comment was posted in a poor fashion with something copied twice and with ridiculous sentiments. So I asked a genuine question?

Feel free to review the numbers, they'll back up the seasons where he was very good (3-4 years previous) and more recently where he has been awful (the last 2 years). Like I said above, its the Rooney argument all over again.

Folks opting for sentimentality over logic. Protecting an unprofessional, under performing and over paid Rooney based on what he done yesteryear. Now we've De Gea been protected for 2 years of under performance and whilst being overpaid.

Football is cynical and ruthless and if you opt for sentimentality you will not be successful. What does it matter what he done 3-4 years back if the last 2 he hasn't been good enough?

Simply put, would Ferguson stomach this level of performance from him for 2 full seasons? He got rid of players in better form than what De Gea is showing.

Reality is though we've a superb, young and eager keeper chomping at the bit to take that #1 jersey, it isn't worth losing him over.

Simply yes Ferguson would . As he did with Barthez . DDG is no where near as bad as people like yourself try to make out and I'm glad our manager continues to play him as I'm sure he will next season as well

Irrational.

This is what happens when you're the world's best paid in your position, have a long term contract, have no competition for your place, your mistakes are never punished by your employers and you have no motivation to improve any further.

Complacency has set in. The offside flag tonight also saved his blushes for a second time today.

He single-handedly cost us top four last season and had it not been for our massive improvement in attack, he'd cost us again this season.

That this won't get through people's heads is exactly the reason why we have a reputation for keeping hold of deadwood for far too long. We seem to have a bias towards certain players exacerbated by nostalgia.