What's happened to De Gea?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Another dreadful clanger for the album. There's been loads of these now - someone will put a video together.

Not great on the other goals either.

Ole has a huge decision in the summer now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Needs to take a paycut and go back to Spain. He's done at our club now. This is more than 10 mistakes now in less than 2 years. Dreadful.

the chameleon

That game against Portugal in the World Cup ruined his confidence. It’s not like he’s lost his reflexes. I think Romero needs to be played for the remainder of the season. De Gea needs some time off. I remember he came back stronger after Fergie dropped him for lindergaard. Maybe that’s way to deal with him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's not been the best in the league for about 4 years
Two years. 17/18 was arguably his best ever season. It was at the World Cup at the end of that season where he suddenly looked poor (although he had never been as good for Spain as he was for us), and that continued into 18/19 and now this season.

It's hardly unexpected of a player who has openly tried to get away from the club. We've seen this thing happen countless times across the sport. He tried his best to leave but was hindered by varyious odd bits of happenstance. That's what happens with big stars. If they're lesser names who can't make the move they wanted because the club they tried to go to didn't want them, there's a higher chance that they'll be satisfied to stay where there is. With a world class player who could go almost anywhere they want but is prevented from doing so, you lose something because their heart isn't 100% in it anymore.
His best season (seasons?) came after his transfer to Real didn't happen. And a season after fax-gate Real quite blatantly tried to get him to throw his toys out of the pram to make it happen and De Gea ignored it entirely.

MadMike

I can't understand what's happening to him. It's not like he's lacking agility because he'll pull off some amazing acrobatic saves every now and then. His weaknesses (aerial ability and distribution) were always known, but his shot-stopping was not inconsistent until that summer of '18 with Spain. Since then he's made way too many howlers that can only be attributed to complete lack of concentration.

His negatives outweigh the positives by quite some margin at the moment. I'd rather have a keeper that is commanding, consistent and make the odd good save, than have a keeper who will make exceptional saves interspersed with howlers and complete lack of command of the box. Never mind the 350k pw.

Revan

Assumptionman
Romero deserves a shot for the remaining 4-6 matches of the season. He needs a long holiday and to get focused again. Reflexes are still there, but his hands now seem to have holes.

crossy1686

career ending
They just showed his clanger reel. Some of them were that bad I’d blocked them out. Tottenham, Watford, Bournemouth, and that’s just this season

davidmichael

The entire trio of De Gea, Lindelof and Maguire have looked shaky for the past few games. I’m not sure if Lindelof and Maguire are because they don’t trust De Gea or De Gea is nervy because they’re in front of him but either way Romero has to play the last couple of league games.

The spotlight will be so firmly on De Gea that the slightest potential thing could see him cost us a goal and if we beat West Ham and Liverpool beat Chelsea we’ll head into the last game of the season in third place, I’m sorry and I know De Gea has at times over the years been a superman for us but there’s zero room for sentiment in such a crucial period as these last couple of games are arguably the most important of our entire post Sir Alex history.

Heading into the World Cup in 2018 he was by far the best keeper in the world but he had a terrible tournament and never recovered, he’s seriously regressed since then and it’s no longer just a poor run of form as it’s lasted two years.

Not sure on the keeper situation at PSG and Juve but if we can get a decent offer for De Gea from either I think we should take it and head into next season with Romero and Henderson, getting De Gea and Sanchez off the wage bill in one go will be massive for us financially but more it’s time to realise that De Gea much like Casillas has peaked young due to coming through at a young age and done at the top level young (for a keeper) too due to their main attributes rapidly going.

Icemav

Roy Keane used to say this about lesser players at United. Some players excel in the small pond. When we are shite, its easy to stand out and go "look at me saving these cnuts again." Even at his best club form, he was shite for Spain. Eventually, your lack of leadership, you willingness to never move from outside your six yard box and your unwillingness to develop your distribution will catch up with you. And it certainly has with him.
Very interesting take.

His comfort zone is leaping for top corner shots and sticking a leg out. He is average at everything else and now can't do the absolutely U13 basics of shot stopping.

We have a big problem on our hands because it looks like his race is run.

Gordon S

You can understand a poor run of form, everybody has them but this is him in decline, his best days are over. That feels absurd to say about a keeper who should have 4-5 more years at a good level.

crossy1686

career ending
Well I just feel he should have stuck with Romero as he has all the cup games.
Doesn't help Romero's confidence either.
Get to the final and maybe swap him out.
Maybe there’s something political going on behind the scenes? Losing De Gea for Henderson would weaken us next season so we’d possibly have to delve into the market for a GK instead, which would mean we couldn’t strengthen other areas.

And I’m more than certain that leaving De Gea on the bench for a stretch would have the board asking serious questions along the lines of “he’s paid a fortune, play him or he goes”.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The reflexes are still there but when he has time to think he seems to mess up. Maybe see a psychologist or something. It seemed to start when Spain played Portugal in the WC or Euros and he made a huge error.

Romero needs to play the remainder of the games i feel. At least we found this out in an FA cup tie. Imagine if this was the Europa League final and he made these two erros like Karius did for Liverpool.

SirAnderson

Maybe there’s something political going on behind the scenes? Losing De Gea for Henderson would weaken us next season so we’d possibly have to delve into the market for a GK instead, which would mean we couldn’t strengthen other areas.

And I’m more than certain that leaving De Gea on the bench for a stretch would have the board asking serious questions along the lines of “he’s paid a fortune, play him or he goes”.
Can't see that really. Sanchez they shipped off with those wages.
Just think he doubled down on backing De Gea and his let him down again now after last 2 games where his been decent again.
Honestly think he just needs a good drop and it will sort him out. I don't think he feels that he will get dropped so it leads to sloppy stuff like today.

GenZRed

He will not get mentioned in the same vein as The Great Dane and Edwin van der Sar, let alone as one of the best keepers of all time.

Gte rid of him. Romero first choice keeper next season with Dean Henderson as backup.

Betson

I was unsure of Degea when he came to the club first , physically too weak and very vulnerable at corners etc.

But he won me around and I have been a big fan for years now , I honestly think for a while he was the best Keeper in the world and essential for us.

But I think it is NFL that has a saying of 'What have you done for me lately' , if you what to stay at the top or go to the top then loyalty can not come into it.

Simpy fact is that he just makes too many errors these days and credit in the bank does not matter in this game.

friend

We've got probably one of the better #2's in the league and DDG's still not dropped when he plays poorly. He needs the fear of being dropped for a long period IMO. Worked for him at the start of his career with us, and we should definitely try it again.
Agreed. It made sense to back him last season (and possibly even earlier this season) but there has to be a point at which you drop a player. Continuously backing him has clearly not worked so surely dropping him for your usually reliable #2 has to be considered. Selling him is an extreme option that needs careful planning but dropping/resting for more than a game is very reasonable.

I'm really curious how Ole deals with him in our remaining few games, especially the league games. Tbf, not an easy position to be in if you're Ole - whether he keeps backing an out of form/unconfident keeper or throws in Romero when our season is pretty much on the line now.

DevilRed

Has been poor today after being very good against palace.

Needs to find his form for the last two matches. Critical.

Too many errors being made.

ash_86

Last year we lost top 4 exactly because of his mistakes like this. He's been comfortable for too long. Ole needs to light some fire up his ass. Throw in Romero for rest of the games and bring Henderson next season back as #1.

Djemba-Djemba

Someone should make a compilation of his errors in the last 18 months.

I can pinpoint the first one, Southampton at home last season when his chocolate wrists cost us a goal.

From that game against Southampton in March 2019 to now in July 2020 I reckon we are well into double figures for absolutely horrendous and embarrassing mistakes.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Well, he's only ever been at United for the money. Yes, he's been here a long time, but we've paid him more than anyone else would that whole time.

I don't think he cares anymore. Looks like a man who has already calculated what his bank balance will be at the end of his contact and that is what he thinks about.

Bojan11

I've lost count of how many mistakes he's made this season alone.

It's not good enough.
From the PSG game last season he has made far too many.
Someone should make a compilation of his errors in the last 18 months.

I can pinpoint the first one, Southampton at home last season when his chocolate wrists cost us a goal.

From that game against Southampton in March 2019 to now in July 2020 I reckon we are well into double figures for absolutely horrendous and embarrassing mistakes.
PSG at home?

Here’s some more

https://www.givemesport.com/1531997...premier-league-since-the-start-of-last-season

But there’s more than that.

Scholsey2004

People keep saying send Henderson out on loan for another season but we can't keep doing that forever. De Gea is 29, Henderson's not going to hang around til De Gea's at retirement age. De Gea's been declining for a long time now and makes far too many errors. It's telling that clubs like Chelsea are trying to sign Henderson.

Djemba-Djemba

Lee565

Would not trust having this guy playing our remaining europa league games but I bet solskjaer will stick with him (and it being costly).

Bojan11

Was he at fault against PSG at home?

Genuinely can't remember, wouldn't shock me if he was.

I do remember in the game in Paris when he shit himself at coming to catch the ball in injury time, gave a limp wristed punch and almost cost us a goal.
Maybe being harsh. But the first PSG goal the ball travelled a lot in the box that a good goalkeeper would have come out for it. Dave just stood on his line as always.

Red_Aaron

For whatever reason his head seems to have gone and its costing us big time now. We can't just ignore it any more and it's time to act.

The issue is he's clearly a popular figure and also very highly paid one who's value needs to be protected. Imo the club needs to invent a muscular injury during the week and pack him off for the rest of the season. Let him have a nice long break and see how he looks preseason.
Have henderson stay with us for preseason and see how he measures up but I think we may need to dip into the transfer market myself - it'll cost us a fortune though

Lentwood

Mark Bosnich made a very good point after the Spurs error - he said De Gea plants his feet too wide and therefore is always falling backwards towards his goal when he tries to make a save. Exactly what happened on the 1st and 3rd goals today.

Djemba-Djemba

Maybe being harsh. But the first PSG goal the ball travelled a lot in the box that a good goalkeeper would have come out for it. Dave just stood on his line as always.
Well that's just it though you're right.

You put up with his crap kicking and how bad he is on set pieces because he rarely made mistakes and he made outrageous saves regularly to save us.

But now he's a complete liability with the shot stopping and he's still crap at kicking and appalling at set pieces where he refuses to come off his line. He's made a ton of comedy errors but he's also made other more subtle mistakes like being rooted to his line from corners.

Off the top of my head City away this season, they scored from a corner that any decent keeper would have gone and claimed.

I'm just sick of him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s reports from some of the players at the club that they prefer playing with Romero behind them because he talks more and puts them at ease
Doubt Lindelof’s one of them. Them two have a massive bromance. Both as bad as each other at times so I guess it makes sense.

Rolaholic

Think we have no choice but to fastrack Henderson's introduction into the squad next season given Dave's steady decline.

The year before I wrote it off to fatigue due to the world cup and maybe some loss of confidence from that performance.

Last year was concerning especially towards the business end of the season but I still had some faith in him as the no.1 but now?

It's become a clear pattern that should worry Ole big time. I think having a young challenger sitting behind him might be the spark he needs but I can't say that I trust him to rescue us points anymore especially in big games. He's become a liability more often than not as of late and I get nervous damn near everytime the opposition has a shot on target now

Lj82

People keep saying send Henderson out on loan for another season but we can't keep doing that forever. De Gea is 29, Henderson's not going to hang around til De Gea's at retirement age. De Gea's been declining for a long time now and makes far too many errors. It's telling that clubs like Chelsea are trying to sign Henderson.
I think it's probably one season too early for Henderson to become our no. 1. Sadly De Gea's decline is going to give Ole a massive headache next season.