What's more important for us - a top center back or Sancho?

RUCK4444

Sancho. Bring back Smalling and I guarantee you he will secure a spot next to Maguire. At least for next season then sign a CB as next summers priority.

It's hard to jump on Lindelof after Maguire's performance yesterday but most people recognise that Maguire is the better of the two and it's a case of matching Maguire to a suitable partner.

Ideally I would sign Sancho and Upamecano this summer. I'm praying Ed reaches deep into those pockets this summer.

sp_107

40M on Upamecano and 40M on Konate could solve our problem even if we had to offload Lindelof to finance these 2 moves on top of selling Smalling/Rojo/Jones

hubbuh

In recent years teams have had winning/amazing campaigns with the likes of Wes Morgan, Matip, Otamendi and Stones at the back. They also had a really functional, potent frontline they could count on. I'd say get the midfield + attack settled and the defence will suddenly look a lot better by virtue of having to do less.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As in £20m extra than Maguire totalling £105m?
Yeah, if we were going to over spend on a defender I'd rather spend 30m more than Koulibalys worth than 30m more than Maguires, when Koulibaly has better pace and isn't prone to as frequent brainfarts. He'd also be better on paper with a player like Lindelof.

RedStarUnited

I think Sancho is more important to secure, but I don't think we can be confident of comfortably finishing in the top four and winning any trophies without signing both.

I think when we bring James, Mata, Lingard etc into the side it is clear that we lose a significant amount of threat on goal. Signing a CB and being more solid will obviously win us points, but having an alternative if the forwards are having an off day would win us more points IMO. However much you need a good defence to achieve things in this league, it is proven that scoring more goals gets you places. The four sides that are above us are there because they have scored more goals than we have. Despite our apparent fragility, our defence is comparable to everyone else - only Liverpool have conceded fewer goals than us. I think this side has proven that its best form of defence is attack so I feel going more gung-ho is going to benefit us more in the long-term and fit the way Ole is trying to do things.

Sancho is a must and needs to be completed ASAP, but a CB would not be far behind at all either.

Edit: Just for comparison

TeamGFGA
Liverpool7729
Man City9335
Chelsea6449
Leicester6739
Man Utd6335
Looking at this table, If you take City out of it, we are not in bad shape in attack either. City get a lot of goals because they never stop attacking even if games are won.

Of our 4 main players who would be expected to contribute in attack;

Pogba - Missed the season pretty much
Bruno - Signed half way
Rashford - Missed a month through injury
Martial - Missed 2 month through injury

You would assume next season, we could catch up on Liverpool if most of the above players remain healthy. Leicesters numbers are hugely skewed by that 9-0 win.

We need both Sancho and a CB.

saivet

Sancho. While I don't particularly rate any of our CBs highly, I think that they are competent enough that we can manage. Good coaching and organisation can make a huge difference defensively moreso than going forward.

In the attacking area, we are one injury away from playing Dan James, who I think is way off the standard

Havak

Pokemon master
Looking at this table, If you take City out of it, we are not in bad shape in attack either. City get a lot of goals because they never stop attacking even if games are won.

Of our 4 main players who would be expected to contribute in attack;

Pogba - Missed the season pretty much
Bruno - Signed half way
Rashford - Missed a month through injury
Martial - Missed 2 month through injury

You would assume next season, we could catch up on Liverpool if most of the above players remain healthy. Leicesters numbers are hugely skewed by that 9-0 win.

We need both Sancho and a CB.
Yep, this squad as it is has the capability to do very well. However, a lot of our players seem to have the habit of being injured and missing weeks (thus an amount of games reaching 5+). This doesn't seem to happen at Liverpool, but it does at the other teams and with the exception of Man City you can tell. This is why we need the additional attacking player and players to be in good physical condition as much as possible.

This kind of proves the importance of a good attacking signing (PL only):

Goals scored pre Bruno: 36 in 24

Goals conceded pre Bruno: 29 in 24

Goals scored post Bruno: 27 in 12

Goals conceded post Bruno: 6 in 12

Of course, the only other major addition was Greenwood playing more lately, another attacking player. We have spent more time doing damage at the other end than defending. It's only recently than certain players have looked like they're lacking energy and the Chelsea game showed that when we make a few changes, particularly removing a few attacking players, we look left wanting. If we had Sancho for example, we could have still been playing 433 against Chelsea with a fresher player coming into the fold.

I still agree that we need both drastically if we want to achieve more than playing good football, finishing 3rd or 4th (maybe a distant 2nd at a push) and maybe winning some silverware, then we need both and probably another one or two players on top of that. Some pundits and fans are getting carried away that we could even be title challengers next season, but I find that rather optimistic given how far behind we've been this season and I expect all of our main competitors to invest as well. We need Sancho and a new CB before I'd start thinking maybe we can at least go into March/April with realistic hopes of pushing for the title.

I'd be hoping for a new CM and Full Back to challenge the players more in those positions to think we actually could achieve something big next season, for now I think it's a year too early, so we'll see!

NWRed

Honestly, sorting out GK is our biggest priority at the moment, whether by finding a way to get De Gea's head right or by getting rid and promoting Henderson/signing replacement.

HJ12

World class right winger, whether Sancho or whoever else, should be priority number 1.

Mcking

60 percent Sancho. 40 percent quality CB.
100 percent Sancho. We could manage for another season with the center backs we have right now. They are fairly decent centre backs, but the most important thing is that they are centre backs and could play every game barring unlikely injuries.

In attack, we have only Rashford, Greenwood and James for the flanks. James shouldn't be playing too many minutes, and Greenwood doesn't quite offer as much as you would want from a winger yet. Bringing in Sancho is absolutely imperative.

Zoo

Both. Not even a top CB, a new one is needed full stop. Only Lindelof and Maguire are consistently available as it stands.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Incredible we are debating this after blowing £80m on a CB.

sp_107

Not just 2, what about a team reset? People might say this as a muppet dream but I do feel we need a window like this after 7 years of average signings.

Alexis(15)/Mata(10)/Lingard(15)/Perrera(15)/Rojo(10)/Smalling(20)/Jones(10)/Baily(20)/Dalot(20)/ DDG(30) and then Pogba(80)/Lindelof(30)/James(15)=+290M
Jimenez(40)/Sancho(70)/Grealish(50)/Vanbeek(50)/Saul(70)/Konate(40)/Upamecano(40)= -360

With 70M Net spend we can vastly improve our squad and if you like to keep Pogba we can ignore VanBeek signing.
Even Thiago/Kroos/Rakatic for 30M price can be a stop gap option for 8-role and Grealish can cover Bruno's role until Hannibal develops.

-------------------------------------------------------Martial / Jimenez -------------------------------------

------Rashford/Grealish-------------------Bruno/Hannibal--------------Sancho/Mason--------

-----------------------------------VanBeek/Fred----------------------Saul/Matic+SMT ---------------------

Shaw/Williams--------Maguire/AT-------Konate/Upamecano-----------AWB/Mensah-------

--------------------------------------------------Henderson/Romero---------------------------------------------------

You guys see any improvement with this team ?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sancho without question

Our defensive record isn't even that bad, and there's no world class CB's ready to buy right now.

crossy1686

career ending
I think going top heavy will take the pressure off the defence.

If teams are scared of our attack, they'll sit deeper and the defence won't be worked as hard. At the moment they know that if they mark Bruno out of the game they'll have an easy afternoon terrifying our defence. Go for Sancho and a ST in my opinion.

Riz

Not just 2, what about a team reset? People might say this as a muppet dream but I do feel we need a window like this after 7 years of average signings.

Alexis(15)/Mata(10)/Lingard(15)/Perrera(15)/Rojo(10)/Smalling(20)/Jones(10)/Baily(20)/Dalot(20)/ DDG(30) and then Pogba(80)/Lindelof(30)/James(15)=+290M
Jimenez(40)/Sancho(70)/Grealish(50)/Vanbeek(50)/Saul(70)/Konate(40)/Upamecano(40)= -360

With 70M Net spend we can vastly improve our squad and if you like to keep Pogba we can ignore VanBeek signing.
Even Thiago/Kroos/Rakatic for 30M price can be a stop gap option for 8-role and Grealish can cover Bruno's role until Hannibal develops.

-------------------------------------------------------Martial / Jimenez -------------------------------------

------Rashford/Grealish-------------------Bruno/Hannibal--------------Sancho/Mason--------

---------------------------VanBeek/Fred----------------------Saul/Matic+SMT ----------------------------------

Shaw/Williams------------Maguire/AT-----------Konate/Upamecano------------AWB/Mensah----

--------------------------------------------------Henderson/Romero--------------------------------------------------------

You think we’ll sell 13 players and sign 7? :lol:

CG1010

A choice between one of Sancho and a top CB we could do with Sancho this window. But we still need to get a CB atleast for a backup, a long term injury to either Lindelof or Maguire and we are left with crooks/playing Mctominay as CB.

Red_toad

Spin off from the "what do we still need" thread, where I felt we ensure we get a top center back over Sancho (if it came to choosing between the two of course). An example reply is below, and I'm just curious what the thoughts of the caf are on this. Sure Sancho is a top player but I wouldn't want his introduction to come at the opportunity cost of a top defender.

To reply to this - we aren't winning shit with the defence as it stands, as it's just too weak. That doesn't mean its a "minor" flaw in the defence, it's actually quite major.
We have plenty of cover in central defence, but effective options on the right wing are James, Mata, Greenwood or Jesse, none of whom should be played there to perform at their peak and none of whom are any where near as good as Sancho. That said I do not believe the club can afford Sancho and it's all a pipe dream that fans are buying into, only to end up dissapointed. We need a fix for the right wing and we need Bailly or Tuanzebe to stay fit and challenge Lindelof for his spot in the team.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

-----------------------------------VanBeek/Fred----------------------Saul/Matic+SMT ---------------------

Shaw/Williams--------Maguire/AT-------Konate/Upamecano-----------AWB/Mensah-------

--------------------------------------------------Henderson/Romero---------------------------------------------------

Stick to fifa career mode mate.

pascell

Sancho. While I don't particularly rate any of our CBs highly, I think that they are competent enough that we can manage. Good coaching and organisation can make a huge difference defensively moreso than going forward.

In the attacking area, we are one injury away from playing Dan James, who I think is way off the standard
Fully agree with this. If we're in the CL next season, we need quality in squad depth at both ends of the pitch.

We created a way of battling against the low block, which has now been found out with being pressed by the opposition with two waves of players. We need a better plan B, plan A didn't work yesterday and plan B seemed to be thrown on our higher quality players and a shift to our normal formation, which also didn't work as that system isn't great against the press either.

Adding Sancho, Grealish/vdB and Ake would be good enough for a top 3 finish next season. You don't bridge a 30+ point difference in one transfer window.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

There are no top centre backs. There is a dearth of them tbh. Maguire was expensive but was largely seen as one of the best options in the world.

Get Sancho. Try and outscore the better teams.

Verminator

Sancho obviously.
Gives us options in attack and advance midfield. A rare opportunity to bolster two departments, and makes economic sense.
We do need an option for Matic, and it appears that Fred isn't it, and he's certainly not cover for Pogba or Bruno.
So, recoup some money for a more reliable DM that can beat the press.

CB is our lowest priority in my opinion, but if we do it right and shift some deadwood, it might be doable anyway.

Mark Pawelek

There are no top centre backs. There is a dearth of them tbh. Maguire was expensive but was largely seen as one of the best options in the world.

Get Sancho. Try and outscore the better teams.
Maguire's fans surely saw him as one of the best options in the world. I was less keen on spending that kind of money. I thought he was too slow. I also thought United should sign VVD long before 'Pool went for him. I think while he was still at Celtic! I feel personally vindicated. Just shows how important stats are. Stats don't give the whole picture but they don't lie much (unless they are badly compiled).

United's weakness is squad depth. The squad is 25 players. Sancho is 1 player. Sancho won't fix the weakness.

starman

Imo getting a better partner for Maguire is more important in general, that's not to say Lindelof is a bad player, I just don't think they complement each very well.
That said the option to get Sancho is too hard to pass up

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sancho. Look at our goals on the league table right now!

There is no top CB available.

Giggsy13

Both CB and RW are equally as important. Just below that I’d put CM and a striker. There are plenty of quality options at CB that would be an upgrade. Skriniar, Koulibaly or evening Ake.

pacifictheme

Our defence is as good as city's. They've scored 30 more goals than us.

We need to improve up front.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need an idea how to control the ball. Southampton and Chelsea showed us our weakness.
This.

Sancho should be priority but also improving the build up play from the back is just as important against teams who press high. If the build up play isn't improved upon then attackers like Sancho will be affected especially against teams who press high IMO.

Siorac

Maguire's fans surely saw him as one of the best options in the world. I was less keen on spending that kind of money. I thought he was too slow. I also thought United should sign VVD long before 'Pool went for him. I think while he was still at Celtic! I feel personally vindicated. Just shows how important stats are. Stats don't give the whole picture but they don't lie much (unless they are badly compiled).

United's weakness is squad depth. The squad is 25 players. Sancho is 1 player. Sancho won't fix the weakness.
I have no idea what this part means. Do you think that instead of signing Sancho, we should sign 25 players? Or what?