What's next for Rooney if Zlatan signs?

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Rooney may well shine under mourinho, who knows? I think everyone deserves a fresh chance under the new manager because the playing style will be completey different.
Hope is not a plan.

We have more than enough data on Rooney as a player. If we scouted him like any other incoming player, applying the same metrics, he would not measure up. There is not one athletic or football attribute remaining in his game that cannot be had better and cheaper in a replacement player.

William Hill

I never thought I would say this but at this point I want Rooney even more gone then Fellaini. He has become our biggest hinder in moving forward. It's absurd that our highest paid player does more damage then good for the team. I hope JM sells him but I fear he won't.

Like another poster said in another tread; How JM deals with the "Rooney-situation" pretty much will deside how successful JM's stint here will be. I fail to see how we again can become a dominating side, building our team around him.

Reactions: Varun

Footyislife

I know everyone wants to forget the LVG era, but did nobody see how good Rooney is in the midfield the last couple games? He has a great passing range, shoots well, tries to tackle, and is willing to track back. He should start in our midfield and pull the strings for our offense. I know he's overpaid, but he generates so much more money for the club. He might not be quick, but neither was Scholes. Rooney can make those long passes like Scholes did which will be critical for a counter attacking side Jose plays. Despite not having pace, Rooney still has an engine. For all the flak we give him, he's always fighting tooth and nail from the first minute to last.

William Hill

I know everyone wants to forget the LVG era, but did nobody see how good Rooney is in the midfield the last couple games? He has a great passing range, shoots well, tries to tackle, and is willing to track back. He should start in our midfield and pull the strings for our offense. I know he's overpaid, but he generates so much more money for the club. He might not be quick, but neither was Scholes. Rooney can make those long passes like Scholes did which will be critical for a counter attacking side Jose plays. Despite not having pace, Rooney still has an engine. For all the flak we give him, he's always fighting tooth and nail from the first minute to last.
I just can't see us becoming one of the best sides in the BPL again, let alone Europe, with Rooney in midfield. Yes he still have some qualities as a player. But we need worldclass players(or as close as possible) in every position. At the very least in key postions. Rooney's football qualities are average at best. Take away his name and I struggle to see him walking in to midfield at any of the top 12 teams this season. So that leaves us with his marked value but our problem isn't lack of money. Our problem is lack of a good midfielder.

LeftyBlaster

Precisely what is was. The last couple games = which meant feck all. Don't let his cross field hollywood ping disguise his one dimensional thought process. He has no idea when to accelerate the tempo, and he is more inclined to slow down the play before making his decision to pass. Scholes read the game a hell lot better than Rooney. Consistent long passes made by Rooney shouldn't be praised if they do jack shit because it's the only thing he knows how to do.

Footyislife

I just can't see us becoming one of the best sides in the BPL again, let alone Europe, with Rooney in midfield. Yes he still have some qualities as a player. But we need worldclass players(or as close as possible) in every position. At the very least in key postions. Rooney's football qualities are average at best. Take away his name and I struggle to see him walking in to midfield at any of the top 12 teams this season. So that leaves us with his marked value but our problem isn't lack of money. Our problem is lack of a good midfielder.
The midfield is least of our worries. I agree Rooney is done as a striker. But his passing range, touch, tenacity, leadership, and shooting are on par for a world class midfielder. You clearly didn't watch our last couple games in midfield. MTM performances with critical contributions on both ends of the pitch. Is he overpaid? Yes, but his name alone brings in much more money for the club. TFM will be a rock as a DM. I'd maybe poach Dier from Tottenham for more depth. Herrera can take up the last spot in midfield and fluidly switch with Rooney. We also have Schneiderlin, Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Blind, and Fellaini as options. Who in their right mind would think our midfield has issues. Get the biases out of here and think rationally. Rooney's passing range and late runs into the box will shine with Jose's counter attacking setup.

I'd be more worried about replacing Mata/Lingard on the RW.

Footyislife

Precisely what is was. The last couple games = which meant feck all. Don't let his cross field hollywood ping disguise his one dimensional thought process. He has no idea when to accelerate the tempo, and he is more inclined to slow down the play before making his decision to pass. Scholes read the game a hell lot better than Rooney. Consistent long passes made by Rooney shouldn't be praised if they do jack shit because it's the only thing he knows how to do.
I hated watching Rooney play as a striker last year just as much as every other fan. But don't you think having a semi-incompetent coach who forces the team to slow down the tempo and take less risks to not lose possession could actually be the reason we didn't see much more of that? If we have a coach like Jose who's wants to play the counter. I'm sure he'll tell Rooney to pass the ball quickly. And then the cross field Scholes like passes become much more important. Just watch he'll be starting in the midfield and probably do really well under Jose.

Also if you disregard the small sample size of games where he actually played as a CM and did great, then how the heck are we supposed to evaluate his ability to perform in that position. He spent most of the year doing absolutely nothing as a striker and no. 10.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Moyes and specially LVG showed a blatant lack of courage by not taking care of the Rooney situation (in other words, not surrendering to his wishes), how Mourinho will deal with him will be interesting.

Mr. Meeseeks

Those cross field balls change up the play and create space. They're often a prolific source of chances on goal. I'm all for hating Rooney when he's playing badly, but he was excellent as a 10 and in midfield in the last few games. He was one of the players who seemed to make things happen.
I'll take those 'Hollywood pings' over safe, boring, possession hogging backwards passes any day.

POF

Left of a midfield 3 is the obvious spot for Rooney. If the last 2 seasons demonstrated anything it's that the current United squad is best suited to playing 4-3-3. To play 4-2-3-1 they need to add at least one top class number 10 and more all round midfield players to play as part of the 2.

Until we know the shape Jose intends to play it is really difficult to predict any of the front 6. My guess is 4-3-3 with a holding midfielder with 2 #8s (Rooney left) and a front 3 of Martial, Ibra and a new right sided forward. Rashford and Memphis as impact or rotation players in the front 3.

For someone who wanted to play 4-2-3-1 LVG did a terrible job of building a squad suited to that system.

Akshay

Staff
Like another poster said in another tread; How JM deals with the "Rooney-situation" pretty much will deside how successful JM's stint here will be. I fail to see how we again can become a dominating side, building our team around him.
It's interesting because the last two managers came in with similar questions about Rooney. Moyes had Rooney's falling out with Sir Alex to contend with, and LVG with Rooney's poor run of form right after he declared him undroppable. I said at the beginning of the season that how LVG dealt with Rooney might define his tenure at United and it's scary to see how the same thing could still be said for Mourinho.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's a problem for sure, sat on a big fat contract, gone at the game as striker, so a space is been having to be made for him in the midfield. I don't care what anyone says but it is a bit too much to expect a former world class striker to become a world class midfielder, yes he can ping the ball out wide, and yes he can track back sometimes, but unless my eyes deceived me he seemed very prone to giving the ball away, and his touch at times leaves alot to be desired, these aren't things we can expect him to improve on this stage, plus can we truly expect him to put anything like his FA cup final effort in week in week out.

I'm hoping he'll be used sparingly, will get his goals to take him past Sir Bobby (although I don't hope this at all), then we can get a few quid from America or China for him, and we can all move on.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I agree Rooney is done as a striker. But his passing range, touch, tenacity, leadership, and shooting are on par for a world class midfielder.
Especially his touch is sublime, yes, one of his well-known qualities.

Rooney is a lot like Gerrard in his last few years in Liverpool. Remember the season that slipped? Apart from that game against Chelsea and Crystanbul he got very positive press while playing a "carrick" role, deep-lying holding playmaker. But his tactical naivety and a basic lack of technique and passing skills (very similar to Rooney) led to him giving the possession away and not protecting his back four well enough. Like Gerrard, Rooney don't have the legs anymore to play at his best position; like Gerrard, his drive and tenacity led everyone to believe that he is an intelligent and technical player, which he is not (he had lots of other good qualities though, I'm not saying that he wasn't a top, even world-class player at some point); like Gerrard, his predictable and boring "Hollywood balls" led everyone to believe that he possess good vision and passing range; like Gerrard, his status as the most experienced and marketable player somehow translates into him being a leader and a non-disputed starter.

Although he did have a couple of good games in the end of this season. But comparisons with Scholes is a heresy, really.

phepheshane

I never thought I would say this but at this point I want Rooney even more gone then Fellaini. He has become our biggest hinder in moving forward. It's absurd that our highest paid player does more damage then good for the team. I hope JM sells him but I fear he won't
This post makes too much sense.
I think he'll be here this season at least.We have to trust Jose to bench/sub him if he aint doing the business on the pitch.
In Jose we trust:D

phepheshane

Hopefully it lights a fire up under his tushie :nervous: in the positive sense though :devil:

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Jose's going to look at turning him into the new Fat Frank isn't he?

LeftyBlaster

He's a problem for sure, sat on a big fat contract, gone at the game as striker, so a space is been having to be made for him in the midfield. I don't care what anyone says but it is a bit too much to expect a former world class striker to become a world class midfielder, yes he can ping the ball out wide, and yes he can track back sometimes, but unless my eyes deceived me he seemed very prone to giving the ball away, and his touch at times leaves alot to be desired, these aren't things we can expect him to improve on this stage, plus can we truly expect him to put anything like his FA cup final effort in week in week out.

I'm hoping he'll be used sparingly, will get his goals to take him past Sir Bobby (although I don't hope this at all), then we can get a few quid from America or China for him, and we can all move on.
No you eyes don't deceive you. But a lot of people in this thread are. They call his touch one of his best qualities when it's actually one of his worst. They praise his passing but can only point to a cross field floater that doesn't open up the defence, nor does it accelerate an attack, and is highly predictable and gives the opposition time to get onto the winger, nor do they account for the fact that his passing as you point out is inconsistent especially at short - medium range. His awareness is also severely lacking.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Curious to find out how Mourinho sees Rooney's role. He's been interested in signing him in the past, presumably as a #9.

I think playing Rooney and Zlatan together would require a lot of creativity and pace from our wide players.
People keep talking about "Jose tried to sign Rooney".
How many years ago was that?
And this was at a time when Rooney was a still decent. This was in the Moyes season, when Rooney was actually one of our best players!

In 2016, Rooney is a striker who can't score many goals and lacks acceleration.
Would Jose sign him today? Definitely not.

Empire

Mate, Jose is not the sort of manager who will play a non-scoring striker.
If a player is not performing, he'll bench him.
Jose is joining MUFC to win trophies. He isn't here to build foundations or push a philosophy which targets 4th place every season.
Jose is all about winning, at any cost, even if he upsets England's Captain.
Mourinho said this season '4th would be a fantastic achievement for Chelsea', despite the fact they were the defending champions and he was in his third season in his second spell at the club, he said that because they got off to a bad start.

Professional managers in all walks of life make their judgements relative to the circumstances and that is sensible.

We had a bad season, we obviously were in a transition phase hence the quantity of signings, the signing of top young players, and the small squad to discover youth talent, yet we still won the FA Cup, a competition we hadn't won since 2004, a title Jose needs to defend and use as a launch pad for further success.

Footyislife

Especially his touch is sublime, yes, one of his well-known qualities.

Rooney is a lot like Gerrard in his last few years in Liverpool. Remember the season that slipped? Apart from that game against Chelsea and Crystanbul he got very positive press while playing a "carrick" role, deep-lying holding playmaker. But his tactical naivety and a basic lack of technique and passing skills (very similar to Rooney) led to him giving the possession away and not protecting his back four well enough. Like Gerrard, Rooney don't have the legs anymore to play at his best position; like Gerrard, his drive and tenacity led everyone to believe that he is an intelligent and technical player, which he is not (he had lots of other good qualities though, I'm not saying that he wasn't a top, even world-class player at some point); like Gerrard, his predictable and boring "Hollywood balls" led everyone to believe that he possess good vision and passing range; like Gerrard, his status as the most experienced and marketable player somehow translates into him being a leader and a non-disputed starter.

Although he did have a couple of good games in the end of this season. But comparisons with Scholes is a heresy, really.
Obviously he's not Scholes. No one has the passing range Scholes had. But Rooney isn't bad. If Rooney is making those passes for the sake of those passes, then it is meaningless. But lets say you are playing on a counter attacking team, and you have young forwards bombing down the channels. I'd sure wish i had a midfielder who could make those accurate long ball passes to create some scoring chances.

It's not a black and white situation in regards to him playing as a CM. Obviously you don't play Rooney in that position every game. If you are playing a tougher opponent, you'd put in someone like Schneiderlin or Herrera. The thing about the PL is that you have to win consistently against the weaker opposition and not drop points. Against teams that park the bus, having a creative technical player is more important than having legs. I mean look at Carrick, he's older and still puts in a good shift at DM. I think Rooney will adapt well if given a chance.

manunited1919

The economics this year will be much different than last year, as missing CL football two years in a row will trigger severe penalties in the Adidas and perhaps other contracts. Furthermore, after last year it is clear that Rooney doesn't bring the goals in. So JMs hands won't be tied the same way Moyes & LVGs were.

It will be interesting to see how JM handles this. Does he use him in midfield? Does Rooney become a Supersub for bringing more energy into games at key times? Will Rooney be able to sit on the bench and not upset the dressing room? Or, if he must always play, shift him over to the left or right wing where he might do the least damage? The best option really is to ship him out, but maybe nobody wants him with the wages he has.

C'est Moi Cantona

No you eyes don't deceive you. But a lot of people in this thread are. They call his touch one of his best qualities when it's actually one of his worst. They praise his passing but can only point to a cross field floater that doesn't open up the defence, nor does it accelerate an attack, and is highly predictable and gives the opposition time to get onto the winger, nor do they account for the fact that his passing as you point out is inconsistent especially at short - medium range. His awareness is also severely lacking.
Let's hope Jose sees it as we do then, but whilst he's the most marketable player we have, plus our highest paid player who has no desire to leave, then we are stuck, and no doubt he will play when fit.

Minimalist

He should be on the bench if Mourinho builds anything resembling a good side for this coming season. Rooney is done but I won't lose sleep if Mourinho can't shift him with his stupid Moyes contract.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I can't believe anyone mentioned Rooney's range of passing, touch, and vision as his main strenght

The man can't even trap the ball, how can you do a pass when you can't trap the ball? Long range passing? Go ahead find me his long range passing compilation that isn't to that exact spot to the right?

Whenever he got criticism he just swerve the long diagonal pass to the right, to someone hopefully, and the press will go ooooohhhh, aaahhhhh, brilliant pass, while that's the only thing that he knows how to do and the people will be back adoring him again, with his blue eyes saying how he loves United.

Look at his heat map in 2015, he spent more time being in the middle and even defending while being employed as a SOLO STRIKER! No wonder he doesn't score goals.

mtkeenan IV

It's a good problem to have. The more quality in the squad, the better as far as i'm concerned.
Bring on the new season

LeftyBlaster

I can't believe anyone mentioned Rooney's range of passing, touch, and vision as his main strenght

The man can't even trap the ball, how can you do a pass when you can't trap the ball? Long range passing? Go ahead find me his long range passing compilation that isn't to that exact spot to the right?

Whenever he got criticism he just swerve the long diagonal pass to the right, to someone hopefully, and the press will go ooooohhhh, aaahhhhh, brilliant pass, while that's the only thing that he knows how to do and the people will be back adoring him again, with his blue eyes saying how he loves United.

Look at his heat map in 2015, he spent more time being in the middle and even defending while being employed as a SOLO STRIKER! No wonder he doesn't score goals.
^

jojose

The point about if we scouted him now we wouldn’t entertain going anywhere near him, never mind giving him £250k a week and the captains arm band is a valid point. Fergie was so successful because he constantly re-assessed the squad to ensure that there was no better option available and he was ruthless and getting rid of people who could no longer serve a purpose. Without question, had Alex Ferguson done one more year at Man United, Wayne Rooney would have gone 3 years ago!

The only way we’ll win the Premier League with Wayne Rooney as a centre forward would be if Martial gets 30 goals from wide left and lots of goals come from all over the pitch. I cant see Rooney ever getting more than 12-15 a season.

I find the idea that players can “drop back” as they get older quite patronising. It’s almost primary school mentality that the best player plays up front and therefore if he’s good up front he’s naturally better than the midfielder etc etc. Rubbish.

I don’t believe Rooney has the footballing intelligence to dominate midfield. Never mind the touch to receive the ball in tight areas, track opposition runners and also make late runs into the box.

Being able to knock a diagonal doesn’t mean he has a passing range and the idea that that pass suits counter attacking football is nonsense. Watch Rooney play that ball…..he floats it in….usually at the player. That ball allows defences to get set because it takes an age to get from rooney to the wide men. When scholesy played that ball he pinged it out wide.

Another difference with rooney and scholesy……giggsy too is that I don’t think Rooney will accept being bit part. As they got older Scholesy and Giggsy appreciated that the couldn’t contribute for 90 minutes 50 games per season. I don’t think Rooney will accept that. Nor do I believe physically he could do it. He needs to play to keep sharp.

He’s now 3 season into the obscene 5 year contract given to him by Moyes and Woodward. That means that this summer is the final chance we have to get anything back for him. I know we don’t need the cash but after this summer, if he is to go then it would be for very little.

The problem is finding a club for him. In reality, his level is the level we have achieved over the last few years. He’s a steady away 4-8th player, both as a centre forward, a number 10 and a midfielder. I just can’t see him accepting £60k a week at Stoke or West Brom. The only viable move I see is if this new owner at Everton stumps up the cash to “bring him home” and present it to the fans as a marqee / signal of intent.

If our intention (I am sure it is) is to get back to challenging for the league with a view to winning it and competing in Europe over the next two years then I don’t believe there is a guaranteed, automatic starting position for Wayne Rooney. Take him all day long as a squad player, but not as a starting captain.

Moyes was out of his depth. He didn’t have the minerals to bomb out Rooney. LVG was different, he’d dumped big players plenty of times before. He’s thick skinned, strong willed with the balls to take on big players. I was very surprised Rooney got the nod from LVG. Very surprised.

Mourinho is also happy to take on big names and club legends. The taking off and dropping of John Terry for example. The only way I say Jose taking to Rooney is if he believe he can play the Lampard role in his system. Ie…….braying goalwards knock downs from Zlatan.

If like some believe that its in his contract that if he’s fit then he plays……………I see trouble ahead with Mourinho. Just out of principle he wont have that. I cant see that the case.

Lukaku to PSG (he seems to like the easy option) and Rooney to Everton!!!!!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I hope, in case Rooney stays, that JM will be very strict and only plays players in top form.

Martial_Law

The ASDA near me need night staff, depends if Wazza can convince Coleen to sort the kids out - but the option is there if required.

All seriousness though, they have an excellent pension plan available.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I agree with those who see Jose wanting a chance to work with Rooney.
I have maintained for at least 5years that Rooney is far better suited to a Lampard type role than as a regular number 9. Barring shooting from range, i see Rooney as very comparable to Lampard, and i wouldnt be surprised if Jose tries him in a similar deeper role.
Rooney has looked far happier being involved in the game centrally, than the isolated and frustrated figure he often looked up front. Tbf to Rooney, he has also looked fitter, sharper and more dynamic since changing positions too. May be coincidental, but his body language tells the tale for me. He now looks happy and is playing with a renewed vigour to his game.
Maybe his performances during the Euros will help determine whether Jose feels he can make use of him,or not.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
The ASDA near me need night staff, depends if Wazza can convince Coleen to sort the kids out - but the option is there if required.

All seriousness though, they have an excellent pension plan available.
might have to check that out for myself, cheers for the heads up!

Minimalist

I agree with those who see Jose wanting a chance to work with Rooney.
I have maintained for at least 5years that Rooney is far better suited to a Lampard type role than as a regular number 9. Barring shooting from range, i see Rooney as very comparable to Lampard, and i wouldnt be surprised if Jose tries him in a similar deeper role.
Rooney has looked far happier being involved in the game centrally, than the isolated and frustrated figure he often looked up front. Tbf to Rooney, he has also looked fitter, sharper and more dynamic since changing positions too. May be coincidental, but his body language tells the tale for me. He now looks happy and is playing with a renewed vigour to his game.
Maybe his performances during the Euros will help determine whether Jose feels he can make use of him,or not.
I'm not a massive Lampard fan or anything but comparing Rooney's attributes to him with regards to providing a midfield role (and goals from deep) is downright insulting to Frank if you watched both of them.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I'm not a massive Lampard fan or anything but comparing Rooney's attributes to him with regards to providing a midfield role (and goals from deep) is downright insulting to Frank if you watched both of them.
Ok fair enough, i didnt mean it come out quite the way u took it.
But anyway the point i was making is that Rooney's attributes are more comparable to a Lampard role, than Rooneys attributes are to a number 9. Whether its a Costa, Rvp, or a Suarez or Aguero.

I personally doubt Lampard would be as insulted as u suggest, should Rooney actually ever be likened to him. But i concede the point. ;)

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The one thing you know about Jose is that he won't give Rooney an automatic starting place just because.
Everyone said that about Van Gaal. Rooney has a way of cosying up to managers and keeping his place however crap he is playing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The one thing you know about Jose is that he won't give Rooney an automatic starting place just because.
Everyone said that about Van Gaal. Rooney has a way of cosying up to managers and keeping his place however crap he is playing.
With LVG, his philosophy was that the captain ALWAYS plays. This is not Jose's philosophy. Jose benched John Terry, for poor performance.
With Jose, it's all about winning, not about finishing 5th. And if Rooney plays badly, to protect his own reputation, he'll bench Rooney, just as he benched Terry, before him.
So, you can't really compare LVG with Jose.

kenny19

I'd consider Mourinho a success if he finds a way to bench rooney without any trouble occurring.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'd consider Mourinho a success if he finds a way to bench rooney without any trouble occurring.
It's never going to happen, is it? It'd be a matter of days before the usual "Senior players baffled by new manager's BIZARRE tactics and selections" crap starts up again.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
With LVG, his philosophy was that the captain ALWAYS plays. This is not Jose's philosophy. Jose benched John Terry, for poor performance.
With Jose, it's all about winning, not about finishing 5th. And if Rooney plays badly, to protect his own reputation, he'll bench Rooney, just as he benched Terry, before him.
So, you can't really compare LVG with Jose.
Jose got it wrong here. Should've put Terry in centre midfield when it was obvious he couldn't cut it anymore in centre back.

kenny19

It's never going to happen, is it? It'd be a matter of days before the usual "Senior players baffled by new manager's BIZARRE tactics and selections" crap starts up again.
That's why I'd consider him a success regardless how the season goes. At this point in time wayne refuses to believe he hasn't got it and has decided to take his hidden talents from striker to midfield. Three years now we have been in transition and not one of our genius managers have figured out that rooney might just be thee reason why we haven't been able to progress as a club.