What's next for Rooney if Zlatan signs?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Ibra or no Ibra, Rooney needs to be moved on, or I could see him becoming our Gerrard (i.e. if he already isn't).

A scouser who was top class in this prime now being shoe-horned as a deep central midfielder because he has a Hollywood pass in him. Eerily similar, no?

I hope it doesn't take as long for Jose to bench him as it took for Rodgers to bench Gerrard.

Martial_Law

Don't forget the whole Jose/Rooney romance when he was crying about wanting to leave, I think if there was a CB position going for a game, Jose would stick Wazza in there! For all his ability, i think we can get a better midfielder for £300,000 p/week!

nick2004

It will be very exciting to see Rooney and Zlatan playing together under Jose! A great partnership! Don't forget that Rooney is 4 years younger than Zlatan! He will have an extra incentive to play well and get a new contract with even higher salary! Mourinho loves Rooney! Rooney is going to break all records at United, you'll see! :D

Djemba-Djemba

Ibra or no Ibra, Rooney needs to be moved on, or I could see him becoming our Gerrard (i.e. if he already isn't).

A scouser who was top class in this prime now being shoe-horned as a deep central midfielder because he has a Hollywood pass in him. Eerily similar, no?

I hope it doesn't take as long for Jose to bench him as it took for Rodgers to bench Gerrard.
I'd absolutely say he already is.

With the added bonus of him not being universally beloved like Gerrard was with the scousers.

KieranMUFC

With Rooney, Zlatan, Bastian, Carrick and Tony V we are building a team capable of competing for the 2009/10 UCL.

Vilev

I would bet there was a similar thread when Van Persie came here.

phepheshane

It will be very exciting to see Rooney and Zlatan playing together under Jose! A great partnership! Don't forget that Rooney is 4 years younger than Zlatan! He will have an extra incentive to play well and get a new contract with even higher salary! Mourinho loves Rooney! Rooney is going to break all records at United, you'll see! :D
Please God no:mad::mad: :mad:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A lot of people say that Jose likes Rooney because he tried to sign him.
This was in 2013, when Rooney was arguably our best outfield player. Many teams would've been interested in Rooney at that time.
Sadly Rooney's decline has been swift and Jose will see this pretty quickly.
Of course, under LVG, all our attackers were poor-average, so Rooney may improve under Jose, but this remains to be seen.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I've got something more to add to my original post in this thread...

Anywhere here it doesn't really matter...

Or Everton now they've got a shed lod of cash with nobody to spend it on.

nick2004

Zlatan is 34 and Rooney is 30. Both were born in October.

It is reasonable to assume that Rooney will continue playing for 4 more years ... *after* Zlatan retires!

And since he is (soon!...) the all-time top scorer at Man Utd, I would expect him to stay at Man Utd till he retires! It's the United tradition.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Mourinho isn't like Van Gaal. He'll have the balls to phase him out the squad.

Do you guys reckon he'll even keep Rooney as Captain?

Scholsey2004

Whoever plays up front Wayne Rooney'll be playing positional musical chairs throughout the team until Jose finds a position where he justifies his huge wages. Has anyone seen him at physio yet? what about parking attendant?

Devil may care

Nice to see Woy is letting you have some net time after training.

Fer

Mourinho isn't like Van Gaal. He'll have the balls to phase him out the squad.

Do you guys reckon he'll even keep Rooney as Captain?
Well, Mourinho just said: "Wayne is and has been England’s best player for over a decade."

So I guess he would like to work with him. Mainly because he wanted him at Chelsea years ago. I'm not against Rooney, I was really happy when we signed him. That's why I hope we can see the best version of him under Mourinho.

I think Rooney is going to start most of the games, so I prefer to support him and wait for the best. About being captain, that's a good question... I would like to see DDG as our captain, but Smalling would be also okay.

You mentioned something important, Mou is not LVG. So there's a chance that Rooney doesn't start if he is playing awful.

We haven't sign Ibra yet, but if we sign him... I would prefer to see Wayne in a midfield of 3 instead of No.10. IMO 433 is our best formation.

MileHighRed

I don't understand the hate for Rooney, sure he's not the player he was but he's still class! I bet the match going united fans who watch him week in week out will agree with me!

Fer

I don't understand the hate for Rooney, sure he's not the player he was but he's still class! I bet the match going united fans who watch him week in week out will agree with me!
Maybe because we expect more from him (I guess this is also related to his high wages). He wouldn't be a problem as a squad player with half the money he earns. However, most of the fans (including me) think he is going to start most of the games. I'm not hate him at all, he will try his best when he is on the pitch. Also, he is going to have good and poor games, but overall we could have a better player instead of him starting every week.

There's a chance that Rooney improves under Mourinho and with a different system, it's too soon to know. Unfortunately, people change their minds every game, so if he is inconsistent with his game, we are inconsistent with our comments.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe because we expect more from a Manchester United player (I guess this is also related to his high wages). He wouldn't be a problem as a squad player with half the money he earns. However, most of the fans (including me) think he is going to start most of the games. I'm not hate him at all, he will try his best when he is on the pitch. Also, he is going to have good and poor games, but overall we could have a better player instead of him starting every week.

There's a chance that Rooney improves under Mourinho and with a different system, it's too soon to know. Unfortunately, people change their minds every game, so if he is inconsistent with his game, we are inconsistent with our comments.
fixed

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People keep saying we should play better players instead of Rooney, but who? I don't see anyone significantly better in our team. As for new signings, those who are better are mostly impossible to attain.

Womp

idiot
True!

Jose knows his football!

Wayne still is England's best player. It's obvious in Euro 2016. Kane, Vardy et al are not worth half a Rooney.
Euros prove it? I guess Ronaldo is shite at football then. I guess Ibrahimovic coming off the back off his best season ever is shite too. Payet must be the best player in Europe. Martial is a terrible football player, etc. Kane is far superior to Rooney now and he's proved it over a whole season in the Premier League.

nick2004

Euros prove it? I guess Ronaldo is shite at football then. I guess Ibrahimovic coming off the back off his best season ever is shite too. Payet must be the best player in Europe. Martial is a terrible football player, etc. Kane is far superior to Rooney now and he's proved it over a whole season in the Premier League.
As Mourinho said, Rooney has been and still is England's best player. Mourinho said it, not me. In the future, many years from now, when Kane has scored half of the goals that Rooney has scored for England, then we can start talking about Kane being half the player that Rooney has been so far. As for Zlatan and Ronaldo, check who are the top scorers for the National Teams of Sweden and Portugal. Kane is not worthy to carry the dirty socks of these three players. Not yet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

Womp

idiot
As Mourinho said, Rooney has been and still is England's best player. Mourinho said it, not me. In the future, many years from now, when Kane has scored half of the goals that Rooney has scored for England, then we can start talking about Kane being half the player that Rooney has been so far. As for Zlatan and Ronaldo, check who are the top scorers for the National Teams of Sweden and Portugal. Kane is not worthy to carry the dirty socks of these three players. Not yet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country
How good a player was and how much they've achieved doesn't determine how good they currently are. Pele scored a truck-load of goals, if you were to play him now he'd be much less effective. Kane as of now isn't better than Rooney of the past, but he certainly is a better player to current Rooney. Also what Jose said isn't anything out of the ordinary, he's hardly going to come out and say the team's captain is useless.

clarkydaz

How good a player was and how much they've achieved doesn't determine how good they currently are. Pele scored a truck-load of goals, if you were to play him now he'd be much less effective. Kane as of now isn't better than Rooney of the past, but he certainly is a better player to current Rooney. Also what Jose said isn't anything out of the ordinary, he's hardly going to come out and say the team's captain is useless.
Seeing how he was at Chelsea last season, in 6 months he might ;)

ObelOitment Fungentula

Supports
Liverpool
People keep saying we should play better players instead of Rooney, but who? I don't see anyone significantly better in our team. As for new signings, those who are better are mostly impossible to attain.
True!

Jose knows his football!

Wayne still is England's best player. It's obvious in Euro 2016. Kane, Vardy et al are not worth half a Rooney.
I'd take issue with those claims, but regardless, just because he's 'England's best player' is no reason of itself why he should be a starter for you guys. Unlike The Owl, Mourinho has a world of footballers to choose from. And if you believe that a club of Utd's stature, with Mou at the helm and a massive war chest, you can't get a better player than him in, then you have less confidence in your club's pulling power than I do.

ManRant

There is more to manager's and club's stature as well as money for a player to choose a club. Give me one name you believe would come for those reasons. There are differences between being realistic and believing in your own hype.

If United is in champions league i will be more confident.
I'd take issue with those claims, but regardless, just because he's 'England's best player' is no reason of itself why he should be a starter for you guys. Unlike The Owl, Mourinho has a world of footballers to choose from. And if you believe that a club of Utd's stature, with Mou at the helm and a massive war chest, you can't get a better player than him in, then you have less confidence in your club's pulling power than I do.

ObelOitment Fungentula

Supports
Liverpool
There is more to manager's and club's stature as well as money for a player to choose a club. Give me one name you believe would come for those reasons. There are differences between being realistic and believing in your own hype.

If United is in champions league i will be more confident.
This isn't the thread to be discussing hypothetical replacements, but if it's really the case that there is no better player than Rooney that would be willing to work under Mourinho at Utd for £7m+ a season then it's a sad lookout for Utd right now.

And my mood has just improved.

ManRant

This isn't the thread to be discussing hypothetical replacements, but if it's really the case that there is no better player than Rooney that would be willing to work under Mourinho at Utd for £7m+ a season then it's a sad lookout for Utd right now.

And my mood has just improved.
Glad your mood has improved, it's always nice to help someone who have proper emphaty on a team he don't support.

Robertd0803

With Rooney, Zlatan, Bastian, Carrick and Tony V we are building a team capable of competing for the 2009/10 UCL.
:lol::lol: until we get shafted by Bayern in the QFs somehow though. :(

I wouldnt read too much in to Jose wanting Rooney in 2013. 3 years later and a blind man could see Rooneys rapid decline. Rooney in 2013 was still decent (although he had been in RvPs shadow for much of the season and Fergie left him out against Madrid) and he would have been a big signing for Chelsea at the time. It probably would have given Rooney a boost morale wise and he would be a better player with something to prove. I have no doubt if Rooney continues to coast on his reputation that Jose will be quick enough telling him to cop on.

Anyway remember RVP and LVG at the beginning? We all expected Van Persie to be captain based on their previous working relationship and things to be great but after one season some unsavoury stories about RVPs attitude and performances in training come out and we are still awaiting an announcement from the club that RVP was actually sold :confused: Just shows that previous working relationships and managers liking certain players doesn't always come to anything.

nick2004

Pele? Now? In the post you quote, I repeated what Mourinho said, and had it in bold and underlined just in case any of you missed it! :lol:

Mourinho said: "Wayne is and has been England’s best player for over a decade."

Is! Now!

That's what Mourinho said. If you disagree, please complain to Mourinho, not to me!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...as-englands-best-player-for-over-a-decade-by/